Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2019, 17:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Helmet with filter for Delhi bikers

Mavox Helmets is now offering a helmet that has an activated carbon filter integrated into it. The company claims that it can filter up to 93% of the pollutants from air.

Helmet with filter for Delhi bikers-fx_2.jpg

Activated carbon is essentially charcoal that is treated with oxygen. This process opens up the pores in the carbon increasing its surface area. This enhances its absorption properties. When used as a filter, activated carbon traps pollutants in the air.

The Mavox FX30 helmets come equipped with the activated carbon filter. After heavy usage, the filter can be removed and washed. The FX30 helmet also has a UV resistant paint, visor and air vents.

The Mavox FX30 Max (Mono) costs Rs. 2,565, while the FX30 Max Dip (Graphical) costs Rs. 2,999. It is also available on Amazon & Flipkart.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 6th November 2019 at 17:52.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 17:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Helmet with filter for Delhi bikers

Sorry if I am being ignorant, will the helmet be air-tight enough for the filtration to be very effective?
Researcher is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 19:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Sorry if I am being ignorant, will the helmet be air-tight enough for the filtration to be very effective?
Good question. That will only happen when enough of the buying public in India gets educated on how important the size and fit of a helmet is to saving you head. Unfortunately we have only just barely gotten over the hurdle of understanding that a helmet is important in the first place. So manufacturers don't bother with different SKUs to service this need. Helmets tend to just be sold in L or maybe perhaps S if you're lucky. This means that a more perfect fit is generally not guaranteed unless you are in the 5k price bracket. Not sure about these helmets though. Must check it out if they have different sizes available as I suffer when going through traffic just in Hyderabad. I can only imagine how it would be in Delhi.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 20:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts but I decided to do some more research and found out that Mavox sells their helmets in 4 different shell sizes. That is honestly quite impressive and I am now keen to check it out in person and see if it is worth a grab. However their official website is down and I am not aware of what their distribution channels are so I wonder if and when I will ever be able to get my hands on this.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th November 2019 at 21:09.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 23:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I decided to do some more research and found out that Mavox sells their helmets in 4 different shell sizes.

No matter how perfect the fit is, it cannot be air-tight. We are talking about keeping away the pollutants that are microscopic in size. And even if they have devised a workaround, the point to note is that a good N95 mask from 3M or Honeywell costs upwards of 500 and here we are getting a helmet with an activated carbon filter for 2.5k. To me, it just looks like a marketing gimmick and nothing else.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 05:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

This helmet is good for all our metros, but the design does not inspire confidence. The air pipe should be dedicated. Ideally it should be the pilot mask design with improvements and modifications (to meet their claim).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
No matter how perfect the fit is, it cannot be air-tight. We are talking about keeping away the pollutants that are microscopic in size. And even if they have devised a workaround, the point to note is that a good N95 mask from 3M or Honeywell costs upwards of 500 and here we are getting a helmet with an activated carbon filter for 2.5k. To me, it just looks like a marketing gimmick and nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
Helmet with filter for Delhi bikers-fighter20191107-5.32.58-am.png  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 11:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

How useful is an activated carbon filter?

I was looking at a similar arrangement for the car (a lot of options available on Amazon), but all of them seem to have very poor reviews from users.

Wonder how it will help in the case of a bike helmet which is not even a properly closed environment.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:09   #8
BHPian

To add to the points above: Helmets are full of vents and channels to create airflow to keep the head cool. So if this helmet really is air-tight enough for the filter to do its job, then imagine how hot it would get.

I am quite doubtful that this helmet will actually do anything to save the wearer from pollution. It sounds more like a shameless marketing trick to cash in on the air-pollution crisis being faced currently in places like Delhi. Hate to be a cynic, but cynics are often proven right :/
marcussantiago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

I helmet with a mask will be just as if not more effective. I've got myself some nose filters that you insert in the nostril which reduces particulate matter and also has an activated carbon element to absorb gases. It works well, you can actually smell the dust and smoke when you remove it and take your first breath. I've been using them since last year. I chose this type because my glasses make regular masks ineffective or uncomfortable due to fit issues and also cause fogging.
This year I'm getting a rechargeable mini ionizer necklace thing for an additional layer of protection
Old 7th November 2019, 23:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I've got myself some nose filters that you insert in the nostril which reduces particulate matter and also has an activated carbon element to absorb gases.
Can you please share more details about this?
Old 8th November 2019, 01:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
After heavy usage, the filter can be removed and washed.
I think that’s a good news. If the filter can be washed and reused, it would be cost effective and also reduces waste. Activated carbons have a limited capacity though, a simple wash may not fully regenerate.

In Bengaluru pollution, N95 masks don’t last a week. If anyone hasn’t used these filters especially bikers, please try once, you may be surprised how much particulate matter and soot we have been inhaling. Sometimes the masks turn black within two days of use.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 8th November 2019 at 01:53.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Activated Carbon pulls the pollutants in. We have a few tiny packets like these round the house (fridge, shoe box etc) and it does a fair job. Needs sunlight to be recharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How useful is an activated carbon filter? I was looking at a similar arrangement for the car (a lot of options available on Amazon), but all of them seem to have very poor reviews from users. Wonder how it will help in the case of a bike helmet which is not even a properly closed environment.
Attached Thumbnails
Helmet with filter for Delhi bikers-img_7002.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 14:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Can you please share more details about this?
The brand is called Woodyknows. They have their own website and also sell on AliExpress which is where I ordered from for convenience.

Please note that getting the right fit for a good seal is essential. They have two shapes for common nostril shapes - Round and Slotted and within which each has 4 sizes. Take a look at their charts for more info on which one will suit you. They also have multipacks with mixed sizes which you can try out for the first time.
I have a big nose with round nostrils thanks to my Parsi heritage so I ordered the largest round size. Ideally size 3 would have suited me better but 4 is fine for now, it just doesn't go all the way in so it's not as discreet.
I usually swap out the filters (you get replacements) every 7-10 days.

The link for the product is below.
It's called Woodyknows gas and pollutant

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328501...Q1573202076103
Mortis is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks