Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2007, 10:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

A new style of riding - 2-wheeler with feet hanging in mid-air

Saw this 2 wheeler rider this morning on my way to work in Chembur.

No, the guy is not stationary but is actually driving at about 40 kmph with both his legs dangling away in mid air! He drove/rode this way for over a kilometer until he moved towards Anushakti Nagar while I turned towards Vashi. Plain nervous or a newbie, either way he has no business endangering his and other road user's lives like that.

Sorry for the poor quality picture. It's a cell phone shot. And yea, I know I shouldn't have clicked pictures while driving but this was too unique a oppurtunity to let go. Besides you guys wouldn't have believed this happened if I didn't show you proof.

Last edited by amit : 21st February 2007 at 10:26.
Old 21st February 2007, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Seems like you have never been to Pune. 90% of the female populace rides like that. Wonder if they think their "Leg brake" would be useful in case of an emergency stop.
Old 21st February 2007, 12:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

I second you on that one Sajo. Not only females, its everyone who is new to riding and never confident of balancing the bike rides like that.
Old 21st February 2007, 13:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of that old Action Shoes adv' where the brakes fail and the dudes use their feet to stop the car .Innovative Ideas !!
Old 21st February 2007, 13:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Seems like you have never been to Pune.
No, haven't been to Pune in ages. This was the first time I saw something like this happening.

Quote:
its everyone who is new to riding and never confident of balancing the bike rides like that.
I want to say in that case how did they manage to pass the driving test and get their valid driving licences but then we all know how things work here.

Saw a accident at Palm beach road yesterday at about 5.45pm. A Sumo turning from Nerul onto Palm Beach road had a accident with a bike. Seems like the biker was hit pretty badly as the public was carrying him and trying to put him in the sumo to probably take him to the hospital. One of the vehicles probably jumped the signal. When will people learn?

Second day in a row that I saw an accident at Palm Beach. They before yesterday, saw a Bolero wedged in the footpath in the middle of the road with blinkers on at about 9.30pm. Don't know what happened to the unfortunate souls in that car.

Last edited by amit : 21st February 2007 at 13:33.
Old 21st February 2007, 13:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Not only that, they keep their feet down at all times, even while turning/cornering. Havent seen anyone on a geared bike do that though.
Old 21st February 2007, 15:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Definitely has to be a newbie to riding a two wheeler who would do that.
Trying to use the legs as a brake under such circumstances can prove quite painful and disastrous.

With regards to how these people got their valid licences, the less said the better. Its among the worst kept secrets.
Old 21st February 2007, 15:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What an shameful insult to the male community - and I dont mean the scooter.
Old 21st February 2007, 15:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I want to say in that case how did they manage to pass the driving test and get their valid driving licences but then we all know how things work here.
And how do we ascertain whether they attempted to get a license in the first place? I am sure most of them ride without one.

Quote:
Not only that, they keep their feet down at all times, even while turning/cornering.
Have you seen the way in which families carry their kids on bikes? It's a sight, a terrible sight.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st February 2007 at 15:58.
Old 21st February 2007, 17:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

What do you say about a different style of riding.....phone between ear and shoulder, head tilted 45 degrees to hold the cell phone.

Last time i saw a guy riding like that, i felt like tease him and make him lift his head. But didn't want to risk his life...

Last edited by satish_appasani : 21st February 2007 at 17:29.
Old 21st February 2007, 17:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Havent seen anyone on a geared bike do that though.
it looks like honda activa or something like that, means an ungeared/automatic scooter.
and nothing strange in seeing people driving such scooters with dangling legs.

was there any luggage placed in between legs?
Old 21st February 2007, 20:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder View Post
it looks like honda activa or something like that, means an ungeared/automatic scooter.
and nothing strange in seeing people driving such scooters with dangling legs.

was there any luggage placed in between legs?
I know that this was an Activa. I was talking in a general sense. Irrespective of their gender, we seldom see someone riding that way on a geared bike.
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:43   #13
BHPian

I think most of the guys who ride like that do it as they are not confident of balancing the bike more than anything else. They think they can control the brakes using the hand levers.
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
What do you say about a different style of riding.....phone between ear and shoulder, head tilted 45 degrees to hold the cell phone.

Last time i saw a guy riding like that, i felt like tease him and make him lift his head. But didn't want to risk his life...
For all u know, if his mobile were to fall accidentally, he would care a damn about everything else, including his own life trying to save/salvage the mobile.

As Sajo pointed out, u dont see people riding geared bikes attempting such maneouvres... as that would mean no control over the brakes, as well as the gears.
Old 23rd February 2007, 00:57   #15
BHPian

must be his first day riding it. seen it many times in Delhi. it is always little bit funny to look at.

Most Viewed