Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 9th November 2019, 10:37   #1
BHPian

Default Thunderbird 350: Keep or Sell?

Bhpians,

Need your advice. I have a 2014 Thunderbird 350 which has done around 20k kms. In the last 2 years the usage has dropped considerably and it has not been taken out in the last 2 months.

Thinking of selling it rather keep it and not using it. It will just deteriorate over time. Last couple of times I got it serviced, thinking I will use it regularly, it just did not happen.

Also, it is a KL registered bike and I am in Gujarat. What would be the procedure to sell the bike in Gujarat or should I just send it back to Kerala and sell it there?

One part of me wants to give the bike away and get a gearless for short errands.

The other half tells me not to sell it and use it regularly which i doubt will happen.

Your help and views would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:24   #2
BHPian

Default re: Thunderbird 350: Keep or Sell?

Why aren't you using it? Porbandar can't have terrible traffic that you can't use a geared bike for local running around. Even if you can only manage 3-5K Km a year, I'd keep it.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Why aren't you using it? Porbandar can't have terrible traffic that you can't use a geared bike for local running around. Even if you can only manage 3-5K Km a year, I'd keep it.
I am around 15 kms away from Porbandar. So we always use the car for this distance. Wifey does not like two wheelers.

I think there is no point keeping such a big bike when there is hardly any use. Might as well buy an Activa or something for short errands.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
I think there is no point keeping such a big bike when there is hardly any use. Might as well buy an Activa or something for short errands.
If you are getting a good price, sell the TB350 and continue using the car. It is alright to sell a vehicle if you aren't using it enough. But it doesn't make sense to buy a replacement just for the sake of it.

Big bike or not, there will be under utilization of resources if they aren't used enough. Your wife doesn't like two wheelers. Unless she will use the Activa regularly, refrain from getting one and invest the sale proceeds elsewhere.

Last edited by self_driven : 9th November 2019 at 11:50.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If you are getting a good price, sell the TB350 and continue using the car.
Any idea on the pricing? Well, you are right. No point buying another 2 wheeler.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:59   #6
BHPian

Based on your usage, I think it'd be a nice option to replace it with a gearless scooter instead. Take a look at Yamaha Fascino/Ray/Alpha or the Suzuki Access 125.
Bismaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 13:11   #7
BHPian

You seem to have already made up your mind to sell the bike, so no point in suggesting otherwise. Also, its not a Jap that can be picked up and ridden after letting it idle away.

The problem is that its not registered in the state you stay in. Check if Cars24 also does bikes since its a good option to dispose off used cars, even if they are registered elsewhere. Otherwise check with a local RE dealer if they can take it off your hands and sell out-of-state. The transfer of ownership will have to be confirmed though.
Old 9th November 2019, 13:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your help and views would be appreciated.
Look around! The world is changing!

If you're really into motorcycles and you feel what you're feeling now is just a phase then I'd strongly suggest you soldier through and keep the motorcycle.

If not, then go ahead with selling the motorcycle.

Personally I would hold on to my old gen carburetor fed motorcycles dearly! Only for the reason that they simply won't make motorcycles like these anymore.

The last AC CDI motorcycle the CT100 variant with the Kawasaki engine has been phased out recently, same would be the case of the horizontal engine Splendor a descendant of the Legendary Honda Cub, which managed to survive a DC CDI conversion, but even that motor seems to have reached the end of its life after the recent announcement.

With BS6 coming into force even motorcycles with DC CDI's would not be spared and that would be the final blow to the era of carburetors in India.

So do think hard and long!

Regards,
A.P.
Old 9th November 2019, 15:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Look around! The world is changing!

If you're really into motorcycles and you feel what you're feeling now is just a phase then I'd strongly suggest you soldier through and keep the motorcycle.
I personally do feel i am no longer into motorcycles anymore. I have had my share of fun on two wheels starting from 2002 with the Honda Activa, then moving onto Pulsar 180 dtsi during college days which served me well till 2009. For a brief period from 2010-2014 I was out of the country and when i got back, picked up the RE Thunderbird.

Was used well till 2017 after which it has hardly run and I no longer feel the need/passion/craze to ride anymore. Probably things change over a time

My heart tells me to hold onto it but mind says sell it.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 15:37   #10
KPR
BHPian

Go by what your heart says. Even if you buy a gearless scooter you will miss the comfortable seating of TB. Save your spine with good seating in TB. I use a TB and now I've become so used to the comfortable riding position that I can't get from any other scooter.

Last edited by KPR : 9th November 2019 at 15:53. Reason: Typing error corrected
Old 9th November 2019, 19:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the pricing?
Look at approximate prices in OLX ads from your area. Generally they're on the higher side but list yours for a similar price to allow room for negotiation.

Royal Enfields move decently fast in the pre-owned market. My friend's 2015 TB350 was sold in 3 days flat on OLX. It was an year old and fetched 1.2 lakh in Delhi.

Also, bike buyers aren't as averse to inter-state transfers as car buyers. So that would work in your favour even if you sell in GJ.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Thunderbird 350: Keep or Sell?

Quote:
One part of me wants to give the bike away and get a gearless for short errands. ..
If you are not a hardcore biker, and you are not using it, then definitely sell it and get yourself a nice gearless scooter.

I was in the same situation when the first bike I bought after college was rotting away and the passionate side of me didn't want to sell her. However, the practicality side got the better of me and I sold it off to a nice guy and bought a TVS nTorq. I'm loving the new found practicality and zippiness of the gearless scooter!

EDIT: Also a Thunderbird will fetch you a good price in Kerala with so many bullet fanatics running around, I guess.
Old 12th November 2019, 10:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you are not a hardcore biker, and you are not using it, then definitely sell it and get yourself a nice gearless scooter.

I was in the same situation when the first bike I bought after college was rotting away and the passionate side of me didn't want to sell her. However, the practicality side got the better of me and I sold it off to a nice guy and bought a TVS nTorq. I'm loving the new found practicality and zippiness of the gearless scooter!
Thanks Dhanush. I am in the exact same situation as you were. Looks like I will be selling it off and if required will pick up a gearless scooter.

Its sad to see the bike just lying there with no use at all.
Old 12th November 2019, 17:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Just follow what Nature taught us - If something is not being used, Nature takes it away! If you're not using your TBTS 350, sell it off, ofcourse in KL. Has less headache with RTO formalities
Old 12th November 2019, 18:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Need your advice..
If you haven't used your bike for most of past year and don't have much inkling to ride around then it is better to sell the same. 350cc is an in-demand vehicle and it should sell off quickly. The out of state registration may bring the cost a it down.

Unless necessary, do not go for gearless scooter as a replacement. A car-only configuration is better for health than car + scooter, which will reduce walking for small errands nearby. Check if this scenario will be applicable to you.

Also, sell the depreciating asset and invest the proceeds as per your risk profile. I remember someone mentioning in this forum that, had he bought RE shares (Eicher Motors) instead of his bullet in early 2000s, he would be a very rich person today (due to stock price rise) -- food for thought.
highlander is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed
How I bought myself a Porsche at 25 years old
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade
Mustang crashes into truck driver - shows no remorse
Don't be naive, all of this happens before your PDI
Polo GTI falls off a flyover captured on video
Miscreants assault me & my car - justice prevails