Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2019, 12:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Loose handle issue with the Honda Activa?

Thanks to Abhinav Gupta for sending this information and video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I would like to bring to your notice that I have a Honda Activa 3G, 2015 model. There's a peculiar issue with the vehicle since its purchase. After some usage, the handle on the left hand side of the scooter starts wobbling, causing the mirror to shake while riding along with the rear brake handle.

I have visited all the Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. showroom / service center in Faridabad, Haryana and all of them have said that this is an issue with the Activa and the only possible (and temporary) solution is to tighten the handle, but it will again get loose in due course of time.

The video of the issue has been posted below so that Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. wakes up and issues a recall to address this concern.

P.S- Those who have removed the mirrors from their Honda Activa may not face this issue in their vehicle.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 15:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Loose handle issue with the Honda Activa?

Only advice. If its vibration related, use a loctite or anabond medium/light bolt sealer while tightening the bolt.
Old 18th November 2019, 16:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone correct me here but is this really the handlebar that is shaking?

How is the arrangement with these scooters today? I ask this because I have quite a good amount of exposure to my good old Kinetic Honda days that I would rip apart and service it all by myself during the late 90s.

The mirror actually fits on a separate unit/clamp (2 piece) that is fixed on the actual handlebar and if this part is not secure, the mirror as well as the brake lever would shake.

While I was trying to locate some images online, I ended up finding a fix for this:

Skip to 2:34 and you know what I am referring to and this dude has pretty much fixed it.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th November 2019 at 16:27.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 16:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The mirror actually fits on a separate unit/clamp (2 piece) that is fixed on the actual handlebar and if this part is not secure, the mirror as well as the brake lever would shake.
Yes Parag, you are correct. Its the clamp that is loose and shakes. The handlebar doesnt shake, but the place where the clamp is bolted onto the handlebar gets loose and also the clamp itself is faulty in design. It cant be tightened after a certain point and hence, no matter how many times it is tightened, the problem reappears.

@Abhinav Gupta, if you are reading this, then there is a rather simple fix for this issue. I have had this problem on my Dio and fixed it when I had opened up the vehicle recently. The details are here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4640250 (The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!)

In short, just remove the clamp, use foam tape or some rubber sheet to cover the area where the clamp sits and then refit the clamp. That solves the issue and makes it tight as well as vibration resistant.
Loose handle issue with the Honda Activa?-img_6191.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 18th November 2019 at 16:38.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try using some plastic zip ties also. That should help in keeping things in place. Also when tightening the nut/bolt use some threadlocker.
Old 23rd November 2019, 06:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Simple fix. Honda guys had put a metal washer to fix the mirror unit, and this solved the problem. Been a decade now. Another tip: In case you have tightened the assembly and want it to stay that way, just use Loctite thread locking glue it wont come undone.
Attached Thumbnails
Loose handle issue with the Honda Activa?-img_8609.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 23rd November 2019 at 06:11.
Old 23rd November 2019, 07:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Simple fix. Honda guys had put a metal washer to fix the mirror unit.
But how will that arrest loosening of the main clamp that holds this mirror?

As you can notice from the video and images, it's not the issue with the mirror shaking. It is not even the handle. The issue is actually the way the clamp is secured on handlebar.

The washer you mention for sure would help the mirror to remain in place but not the base unit (the clamp) on which this fits.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes so thread lock and washer in tandem should sort the issue. I had put lot of pressure on honda back then to sort it for us
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:20   #9
BHPian

If you find that the vibration happens at certain speeds (RPMs), try attaching a tiny weight (may be even a rubber band or adhesive tape) to the mirror stalk, this will shift the resonant frequency and keep the mirror vibration free at the RPMs of interest.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed