Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2007, 10:31   #1
BHPian

Hero Honda CD... perplexity

It started like this. I had to play an interdepartmental cricket match. Since the ground was a little far from our office, my captain borrowed a bike from his friend.

When I turned up at the parking, I found him searching for the bike. When I asked him about the model, he said that his friend had mentioned some Hero Honda CD model. I took the keys from him and tried them on the first CD 100 that I saw, it unlocked. We started off for the cricket grounds, all the way cursing his friend for maintaining the bike in such a bad shape. After the match (yes! We won it), came back to our office and parked the bike back. We were supposed to play another match after lunch.

After lunch, we went back to the parking area. Now here starts the fun! When we started searching for the bike, it was not there! I mean it was not to be found anywhere. I asked the captain whether he gave the keys back to the owner during lunch. “No, the keys were always with me” came the reply. We both started sweating, thinking that someone would have taken the bike off.

The guard on duty had no clue. Immediately called the owner asking for the Registration Number (which we should have done before taking the bike in the first place). When informed, the owner of the bike also started worrying, and asked us if we had locked the separate Handle Lock (one beside the front tire) properly. Wait a minute, which Handle lock, as far as I remembered there was only a single central lock. I replied to the owner “Boss, your CD 100 did not have a side handle lock”. “Which CD 100, I own a CD DAWN”, came the reply.

OMG! So we had taken someone else’s bike for a ride in the first half of the day. We found the CD DAWN parked, tried the keys and double confirmed the registration number. We even confirmed the color of the bike (sounds stupid! I know), before taking her for the match. All the way to the grounds, I was thinking about that poor soul whose bike we had taken for a ride in the morning. Hope he never comes to know about our little adventure!

I have learnt my lesson, never ever assume, confirm the make/model/registration-number before borrowing a vehicle. Still wonder though, how come the bike unlocked with different keys. Did anyone had a similar experience?
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:41   #2
BHPian

Absolutely hilarious!

I wonder if it would have been as funny if the guy had tried his keys on your friends' CD Dawn!
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:45   #3
BHPian

I agree that this was serious incident, but i hope you understand that it was an innocent mistake..
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:23   #4
BHPian

Lol that was something intresting which happend with you guys !! atleast you got a free ride in the morning !! he..he
Old 23rd February 2007, 14:10   #5
BHPian

well not exactly same but ive seen on numerous times people attempting to start other bikes using their keys.

I took my wifes activa for a shop nearby. When i finished buying groceries and turned around, there was this chap on our activa desperately trying to put keys in. I went to him and said excuse me, he didnt bother. I told him Yeh mera gaadi hei!!! he looked at me like looking at a prankster.

I realised his activa, same colour was parked 10 ft away from ours and prompted him to take a look at that activas registeration number. He said sorry and went off. Damn me, i was so occupied with work and njoying the incident, i forgot to check if he was a thief or a genuine owner.
Old 23rd February 2007, 14:53   #6
BHPian

It isnt only with bikes either. When I was in college, I could unlock and even start my roomates car with my key (both M800s).
Old 23rd February 2007, 14:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

oh this happened with me in college. i had borrowed my uncles kinetic honda for the day. after finishing classes, i merrily went to the parking lot started the vehicle & rode back home. after reaching home i realised that this was not my uncle's bike. having realised my mistake, i raced back to college to find the owner, a girl from my class crying her eyes out in the parking lot and our principal howling at the security gaurd. absolutely hilarious
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Absolutely hilarious!

I wonder if it would have been as funny if the guy had tried his keys on your friends' CD Dawn!
or it could some thing like this:
that guy might have come there earlier and didnt find his bike, called up the police and registered a case, and the police guys stop them somewhere and put them in the lock-up..... till the investigation was complete. that would have been another way of learning a lesson....
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
or it could some thing like this:
that guy might have come there earlier and didnt find his bike, called up the police and registered a case, and the police guys stop them somewhere and put them in the lock-up..... till the investigation was complete. that would have been another way of learning a lesson....
True, it would have been a nightmare.. guess we were lucky ...
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:55   #10
BHPian

This is the problem with 5+ years old bikes!. I had this 1990 TVS Supra used to unlock, turn on ignition with any TVS like keys, and I ignored because I was worried about spending that Rs 300, Instead I paid my entire Bike (Stolen in 2000 – pure negligence)!.

Do change those sets of locks if your bike is that old!.
Old 23rd February 2007, 20:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
This is the problem with 5+ years old bikes!. I had this 1990 TVS Supra used to unlock, turn on ignition with any TVS like keys, and I ignored because I was worried about spending that Rs 300, Instead I paid my entire Bike (Stolen in 2000 – pure negligence)!.

Do change those sets of locks if your bike is that old!.
Absolutely, I change my bike's lock set once in every 5 years. BTW, its a '93 CD 100 ss. May be its worth few thousands, its better to part away with few hundreds.
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Once it happened to my bike Hero Honda SS too. I lent it to my cousin once. At his college, he used my key to unlock another bike accidentally and rode the bike for one full evening.

Another hilarious experience. I bought a new CBZ in 1999 a few months after launch. Once i went to a shop and returned back in few mins. When i got on the bike, i saw the paint on the top of the tank completely gone. CBZ and same color as my bike. I was shocked for few mins. When i turned back, my bike was standing there shining in the sun. I was relieved. An auto driver was watching all this episode and he laughed alot.
Old 24th February 2007, 13:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

This had happened to us once. When I was in college my buddy had a Maroon Yam RXZ. He gave me the keys so that me and another dude would go out for lunch as my bike was at service or something. My friend took the keys and took off with the bike as I was walking towards the gate as I had something to do in between............ Wait , he calls me and says how do you open the petrol lock ? I said there is no petrol lock. Then he says no there is one. I was quite stunned and said things to my friend as it was 12 and he started seeing things as he was a Sardarji (Jokes)
Then I landed there, ditto same, Maroon RXZ but this bike was someone else's and for our good luck had a petrol lock. We pushed the bike back into college and picked up the real one. At one point we were scared someone will think we tried to whack the bike if they noticed us.
Moral of the story : Yamahas, for that matter many indian bikes have common keys so, be careful.
Old 18th February 2009, 00:42   #14
BHPian

This happened to my bro !

He left home for some photocopying and an hour later calls me & tells me Sidd Nova is missing , me and another cousin reached the site we searched the entire area and found on the other side of the auto where my bro had parked there was another nova. Infact any elderly man did say , prob the owner of this bike had taken yours, but we never believed that story.

The bikes originals were in it and my dad on whom the bike is registered isnt in the country. Finally couple of guys drove down there , apologising to the core and they really had mistaken this to be their bike and were half way home.

I checked with a frnd of mine who works for Godrej locks, he says there are different types of locks. certain locks have key types repeating after 999 sets , and there have been cases why lodges pick up the cheapest lock and have a set of key opening more than one room in their lodge.
Old 18th February 2009, 01:04   #15
BHPian

I have been a victim too!

I used to ride my dads scooter (a blue BAJAJ 150!) to a nearby Hanuman temple and keep my chappals locked in the side dickey.

One fine evening, I come back from the temple, and I find my chappals stolen alongwith scooter papers and other paraphernalia.

I had almost started cursing the chappal chors when I suddenly noticed that I was actually trying someone else's Bajaj!

I really had to take cover! couldnt be seen with trying to open somebody's scooter dickey!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks