Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2019, 12:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Royal Enfield working on electric bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
I'd only buy it if it came with a speaker that fakes the 'thump' and an oil can with a pre-drilled hole to simulate oil leaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
That's beause these are considered "ego massagers" | "macho machines" that announce your arrival with THUMP and can eveb be modified to sound like GUN SHOTS. The (un)reliabilty | oil leaks | vibrations.. is called "CHARACTER"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
A junk is a junk. Whether it sells a piece or a million of them. People will buy anything to inflate their hollow egos. And thats exactly what RE does, it gives a placebo boost to your manhood. We have a whole lot of those egomaniacs where I come from who ride it like they own the road.
Way too harsh and way too generalised. One can’t just generalise that the only reason people buy RE’s is to “massage their hollow egos” or to give a “placebo boost to one’s manhood”.

I purchased a Classic 350 two years back and I assure you that it wasn’t for the above reasons. I had two choices, namely Dominar 400 and RE Classic 350. I was impressed by the dominar but didn’t go ahead as it did not gain favour with my folks.

And to be honest, I still feel that I made a mistake. Lots of vibrations, slow pickup and the high amount of TLC needed does bother me. But in my over 15,000 kms of riding this bike, it has never left me stranded or leaked oil as alleged to be done by all RE’s. I am definitely not happy with this bike and am waiting eagerly for the Benelli 302S to launch.

Each to his own, but the steps taken by Royal Enfield now definitely deserves to be lauded. With the launch of the 650 twins, they have taken the market by storm. And I wish them the best in their attempts to develop an electric motorcycle.
dr_davis97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 13:19   #32
BHPian

I was recently gifted Royal Enfield 350 std, although I am averse to two wheelers as a design for long touring. Bullet std 350 is over hyped, not precision made and could easily have been better made.

I have ridden it for 500 kms and first service is due tomorrow. However I don't feel riding it anymore, it's a crude product with unnecessary sound from engine.The fuel indicator light went kaput on 3rd of delivery from showroom. I still intend to keep it as it's a gift.

However I do feel that people still like it is because of its design, the very same engine which sounds so rough still is the only long stroke engine with relatively heavy crank which gives superb torque and nice power on low rpms.

If any company can give a similar designed product which is better made iam sure RE will loose half of its business. They simply don't have the competition, no company has replicated this design. I test rode benelli too, nothing matches this low rpm torque n laziness.
Old 1st December 2019, 15:43   #33
BHPian

Slightly off-topic, but is there ANY chance RE might be plonking the 650 in the 350 chassis (after necessary modifications)?

I love the look of the 350 but would prefer the technology, refinement and power of the 650. The shape of the Twins is not to my (personal) liking.
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 18:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_davis97 View Post

I am definitely not happy with this bike and am waiting eagerly for the Benelli 302S to launch.
I do not have to add anything more to that.

I did write that I know people who bought it for the love of riding but eventually were left wanting. My hate for it though is well founded and stays irrespective of individual experiences.

As a side note, the Dominar 400 is a fantastic bike to tour this country on and highly under rated.

Last edited by bigron : 1st December 2019 at 18:23.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 18:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Every time I look at the classic, I think of buying it. But then all the issues that people say are present dissuade me. Even with electric drivetrain, the stance of the bike and the rider and the low end torque would be inviting.

With UK tech centre helping in R&D, they should refine the classic with a newer engine or the 650 in it. They can sell them in droves since people really like them and are buying them already.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 20:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Every time I look at the classic, I think of buying it. But then all the issues that people say are present dissuade me. Even with electric drivetrain, the stance of the bike and the rider and the low end torque would be inviting.
Mate take a test ride or better borrow an RE from your relatives or friends or even better rent it for a couple of days and see if you like it.

Dont consider the People who have never owned one to dissuade you from owning one.

Also RE is capable of building a new bike from ground up for example, ADV Himalayan, unlike the design they've been belting out since past more than 60 years.

They do have a potential to attempt an electric bike to test the waters akin to their counterpart from the USA namely, HD Livewire.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 21:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support:

Please get back on topic and refrain from making personal remarks. Facts can be argued without disparaging each other's choice of vehicles or technical abilities.

Any further derailing of the thread will lead to corrective action.

Thanks!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:30   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good to hear that they are working on an electric version of their motorcycle, even though i am not a fan of RE, as an EV enthusiast, this would be great for EV market. I do not think the initial version would end up for touring as their current vehicles are. It will take some years for battery density to increase that it can be an 1:1 match for their current vehicles.

From the leaked images, I am still wondering why is there a fuel tank?

Last edited by DarthVeda : 2nd December 2019 at 10:31. Reason: typo correction
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now they want to try their hand with electricity.
Like it or not, the automobile world is going all electric. If you do not start now, you will be doomed.

Trust me, there will be a queue for electric motorcycles once something with a decent range comes out. A CD100 guy will jump on a electric motorcycle or scooter, once they know they can run for 100km with a Rs. 50 charge. This will be the new "kitna deti hai" champ.
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Like it or not, the automobile world is going all electric. If you do not start now, you will be doomed.

Trust me, there will be a queue for electric motorcycles once something with a decent range comes out. A CD100 guy will jump on a electric motorcycle or scooter, once they know they can run for 100km with a Rs. 50 charge. This will be the new "kitna deti hai" champ.
They don't just buy it for the efficiency but also ease of maintenance. Battery vehicles still have to prove they're reliable in the long-term as the battery itself is the most expensive part of the bike. If they have to change it out once every two years it may not be that attractive to the mango man.let some long-term reviews come out for the ather and the f77 and we'd have a clearer picture.
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Frankly, I would gladly indulge in an all electric motorcycle, not from RE of course but from other brands.

Th ease of ownership and reduced costs on the pocket would be phenomenal once the industry can figure out the range and how to incorporate effectively and efficiently an all electric motor on a 2 wheeler chassis.

There are so many developers around the globe big and small trying to tap into the whole electric 2 wheeler space. More power to the consumer eventually.

It is the future no doubt but a distant one at that.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Battery vehicles still have to prove they're reliable in the long-term as the battery itself is the most expensive part of the bike.
I believe the technology is already proven. It is now a matter of making it more accessible and building infrastructure that can support electric vehicles.

There are Tesla's that have hit 400,000 miles with a 30% battery degradation rate. If this is not good enough, then I do not know what is.

Quote:
Frankly, I would gladly indulge in an all electric motorcycle, not from RE of course but from other brands.

Whatever RE decide to build, will be built with quality. They are a very different company today. Their current position in the motorcycle market is the result of modernizing their manufacturing process and making it more efficient. RE's motorcycles are quite different from what they used to make a couple of decades ago. Reliability is good too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whatever RE decide to build, will be built with quality. They are a very different company today. Their current position in the motorcycle market is the result of modernizing their manufacturing process and making it more efficient. RE's motorcycles are quite different from what they used to make a couple of decades ago. Reliability is good too.
I am not keen to comment on RE and its manufacturing processes or quality control.

All I will say is I have interacted with their products since 1989 when old cast iron barreled engines, manual decompression ( I am sure half the people would not even recall about manual de compression on older BULLETS) and right side 4 speed gearboxes were the norm. So i know quite well about their product portfolio and developments right up till the 650 twins.

Last edited by bigron : 3rd December 2019 at 11:45.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the technology is already proven. It is now a matter of making it more accessible and building infrastructure that can support electric vehicles.

There are Tesla's that have hit 400,000 miles with a 30% battery degradation rate. If this is not good enough, then I do not know what is.
Can you really compare a Tesla to any existing indigenous electric scooter or bike ? Or the upcoming electric RE? Tesla has been in the game for more than a decade now and have done their fare share of r&d. You really think these up and comers would be at par with Tesla when it comes to tech?
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A junk is a junk. .
At the end of the day, it is all in eye of the beholder. I have only ever owned one bike and it was a Royal Enfield Bullet 350! Loved it. Even though it was a 1974 model, it did my 15.000 km of touring all over India with very little problems.

Of course, my own experience does not amount to anything. And yes, I do know some RE owners who have had endless problems.

But then again, you can not fault people for their buying criteria. I like Alfa Romeo's. Some Alfa's are real lookers, some drive well, but none of them are well designed and or produced. And you can see the rust on the sales brochure as they say.

I did not find RE owners to have materially different ego's before or after they bought their RE. What I did see was people who enjoyed their bike to a very great extend.

I have said it many times, humans do not make rational choices. We base all our decisions on emotion and next find a set of rational criteria to validate our emotional choices.

You can say a lot about Royal Enfield, but if anything it brings up a lot of emotions!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed