Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:20   #31
BHPian

re: Dominar Diaries - Ownership review of my Dominar 400 EDIT: Sold!

Nicely written man. I rode my friend's updated 2019 edition Dominar. Few things I noticed:
1. Quite heavy front end. Is it only me or others also found same?
2. Bike stalls at low speed(30-45kmph) in city on higher gears (4-5th). I am not sure this is common to all or specific to the bike I rode?

Wish you happy riding. Imagine "Hamara Bajaj" playing in background.
Sunny_ST3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Truly Fantastic write up
Thanks for sharing the bike gear details with us.

Can our dealerships start a paid test drive as an option? this way serious bike buyers can opt for it. I assume dealerships might be seeing lot of people approaching them for fun rides in name of test ride ( This is the reason for short test rides IMO ).

Kudos to you to go ahead with the purchase inspite of being a Family man staying in Mumbai , which tells us that not every decision made needs to have a logic. In fact there will be lot of people who would relate to your thought process.

Wish you lot of happy miles, and look forward to your journey.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

A very in-depth and detailed review buddy! Having owned this marvel of a motorcycle for more than 2 years and 32k kms, I also started writing a review but gave up midway.

Glad you followed it through. This is one bike which makes me turn around every time I park her and puts a stupid grin on my face every time I get an open road and go throttle wide open. Has been reliable through peak summers, torrential rain and whatever winters we get in Mumbai. Apart from routine wear and tear parts, she has been running in a fantastic way.

Coming to the bajaj sales experience, it was pathetic. But, my heart was so set on the bike that I did not even bother interacting with them. All transactions and interactions were done over the phone, and the delivery by the receptionist as the salesperson wasn't there. But I did not really bother about it as it was the product I was after.

Regarding the After sales, me being from the same industry, know how to tackle them and get the work done. But it is an effort and one does not get peace of mind when they leave the bike with them. The workshop guys are helpful and decent, but there is no exclusivity or security felt after spending on a premium product.

All in all, the bike is brilliant and does its duty without breaking a sweat. Rest all the pros and cons have been covered by you. See you on some ride soon!!

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 23rd December 2019 at 11:32.
Maverick5490 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:30   #34
BHPian

Re: Dominar Diaries - A Prequel. Vol I. Part III. An Executive Snapshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
I come back from rides looking and feeling energized, relaxed, happy, and with new ideas for solutions to our problems.
That's why we ride, in one sentence.

Sir, your beautifully articulated review was just an absolute pleasure to read. Keep riding and writing!!!

I especially liked the intellectual aspect of motorcycling you have put forward. It's more about how riding makes us feel rather than the oft repeated cliches about the road and "riderz"

Most of us live monotonous lives (sigh!), where we are stuck in some kind of pattern that is not very fulfilling. I believe our motorcycles see us squirming in these patterns and decide to intervene. They start with the first thumbing of the start button early in the morning, and all our worries seem to disappear in a flash. All the sighing and worrying is forgotten and all there is, is the here and now. The next turn-in point, the next traffic obstacle and the next road to take. Beautiful sceneries that appear, hold our gaze for a moment before we surrender our attention to the road once more.

It engages each and every one of our senses. We can feel the pleasure and hear that engine scream at the redline. whose powerful sound drowns out every other negative voice, including our own. We feel the vibration of it running, of the tyres gripping the road and so many more things. The skin tingles as it tries to sort out the sensations and completes the picture of the world around.

Where the only worry is about how great the last ride was and how the next one must be greater still.

THAT is why we ride
Shumi_21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 01:03   #35
BANNED

Re: Dominar Diaries - A Prequel. Vol I. Part III. An Executive Snapshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Very well written review. I remember you got cold feet before buying the bike and you wanted to sell your gear. Good that you followed through...The dominar is a great multi purpose bike at an accessible price. Well researched by the look of your posts.

Its "jawa". I guess auto correct at its finest.
You do have a sharp memory. Yes, for a little while back there it certainly looked like I might have to sell the gear. The family was having a tough time with my need for this bike. They certainly had valid arguments and I completely empathized with them. God knows that I will be worried and scared if one of my kids told me that they are buying a bike. So, I had my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the Jawa correction by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Apart from GTO, I maybe one of the senior BHPians to have responded to it [edit - D BHPian Red Liner has read it as well] many may have read, including guests, but, few couldn't / didn't respond. In future, many will read it and a small percentage may revert, but, you can't believe how much is it going to help a lot of prospective people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Not everyone who has read it has something to comment on.
My apologies to the both of you and to Red Liner. I did not mean for it to sound like I was complaining. I knew that most seniors would eventually get down to reading it. My statement probably came from an unconscious expection that the seasoned experts on the forum would immediately sound me out on the hits and misses in the narrative; what with this being my first review of sorts.

In any case, Sheel is absolutely right. The point of me choosing to write something like this is less about self-gratification, and more about helping people make informed decisions.

So, thank you all for reading. And I am happy to have helped anyone who is thinking about the Dominar, or about motorcycling in general.

Quote:
That is real bad, I will try to search for it in some other place of some other brand, but, thanks to you, I knew of this after 2+ decades of riding actively.

I have registered a request, I hope the product is put up for sale again. Else, I will will have to keep using a small towel etc or will have to scour at some International websites.
Try reaching out to them by Whatsapp at the number given here. They are usually very prompt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_ST3 View Post
Nicely written man. I rode my friend's updated 2019 edition Dominar. Few things I noticed:
1. Quite heavy front end. Is it only me or others also found same?
2. Bike stalls at low speed(30-45kmph) in city on higher gears (4-5th). I am not sure this is common to all or specific to the bike I rode?

Wish you happy riding. Imagine "Hamara Bajaj" playing in background.
Thank you.

Yes, it is a heavy bike. And yes, it does stall in low speeds in high gears. The power band is quite narrow and you have to work at it a little bit. But that aside, it is a truly wonderful machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Truly Fantastic write up
Thanks for sharing the bike gear details with us.

Can our dealerships start a paid test drive as an option? this way serious bike buyers can opt for it. I assume dealerships might be seeing lot of people approaching them for fun rides in name of test ride ( This is the reason for short test rides IMO ).

Kudos to you to go ahead with the purchase inspite of being a Family man staying in Mumbai , which tells us that not every decision made needs to have a logic. In fact there will be lot of people who would relate to your thought process.

Wish you lot of happy miles, and look forward to your journey.
Thank you.

I think that you may have come up with a truly workable idea with respect to the test rides. I would go one step further and say that the dealership should offer to fold the price of a test ride into the price of the bike, should the prospective customer choose to go ahead with the purchase. That way, the dealership would cover their costs and risks if a customer chooses to not purchase; while a buying customer would not have to pay extra for the test ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
A very in-depth and detailed review buddy! Having owned this marvel of a motorcycle for more than 2 years and 32k kms, I also started writing a review but gave up midway.

Glad you followed it through. .. See you on some ride soon!!
Thanks Maverick. With your height, the bike is perfect for you ergonomically speaking. Having watched your ownership from close quarters, I must say that you are using the bike to its fullest potential. It is amazing to see your bike get better and better as you rack up more miles on it. In fact, I have not heard of one person out there complain about the Dominar. Almost all owners I speak with gush about their respective rides. And yet, Bajaj is far from doing justice to this bike in their sales and service processes.

We should talk more often to find ways to better the service experience for ourselves - maybe find an FNG with the knowledge and experience to help people like us. And yes, we should ride together more often too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
That's why we ride, in one sentence.

Sir, your beautifully articulated review was just an absolute pleasure to read.
Thank you.

- Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 01:47   #36
BANNED

Great review Mohan sir and admire all the fine details given in the review.

I had taken a small TD (around 5 kms) when the 2019 version was launched. Here were my observations (sorry to hijack the thread):

Quote:
  • Engine note from the redesigned exhaust is phenomenal, especially in the 3-4K range.

• Lower gears response for city riding is decent. 2nd gear felt like a balance for riding without much trouble. 1st gear is too short.

• Clutch action is light and smooth. Won't be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic.

• Gear shifts were smooth but while shifting from neutral to first gear, the bike gave a small jolt, maybe clutch needs adjustment.

• Secondary console is placed away from the rides viewpoint. Have to take eyes off the road to glance at it.

• Acceleration is mind-blowing coming from Activa 125, it felt like driving a superbike. Power delivery is linear and not mental like the Duke 390 (no offence to Duke owners). Could cruise at 80-100 kmph all day long in 6th gear.

• No vibrations observed during the TD. Took it till revv-limiter kicked in but no vibrations felt from anywhere.

• Brakes are sharp and precise. Nosedive is well-controlled. Couldn't check the ABS etc as the sensor on the front wheel was disconnected.

• The 184 kgs weight is felt at parking lots where there will be a need to push the bike a bit and while taking U-turns. Not a deal-breaker but IMHO not many will appreciate it. The Dominar 400 needs to be sent to a gym for weight reduction.

• Wide handlebar and the seating position is upright. Felt like riding my Karizma R (in terms of seating I mean).

• Seats are softer than the Duke 390 that I did TD after riding the Dominar. Could place both my feet on the ground flat (I'm 5'11" & weight 69 kgs).

• Rider triangle is spot-on. Neither is it too upright nor is it too sporty.

• Pillion seat is almost flat and comfortable to be seated on. During the second TD, I sat as the pillion and asked the SA to ride for checking the seat comfort and position.
This is one of the few bikes that I wanted to succeed and wanted more reviews out but sadly with Bajaj's lackadaisical attitude both in terms of sales and service plus the useless Ad campaign ('Haathi mat paleo'!) didn't help Dominar dominate the sales charts compared to RE. I still feel the Dominar 400 in it's a current avatar to be VFM.

Last but not least, please do keep updating the thread as you clock more and more miles on it.

Last edited by a4anurag : 24th December 2019 at 02:07. Reason: Added link!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 17:01   #37
BHPian

What a stunning review, worth every minute spent reading. This comes second only to IronH4WK's review. Good one mohansrides, happy mile munching.
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 03:18   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohan- Congratulations on your Dominar and I must confess your review is one of the most comprehensive and detailed on on this motorcycle. The humor across the entire review makes it a wonderful read

Honestly, I never considered this bike or other similar bikes as my interest was primarily on the bigger bikes but, this review made me appreciate how good this motorcycle is and it ain't too far from the bigger bikes in the overall performance

Wish you happy and safe miles on it and keep updating the thread with your ride stories
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 22:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys - since this is more of an official thread the way Mohan has written it, I have a query to post on my friends behalf.

Looking at this saddle setup, isn’t it too near to the exhaust? Will it cover up the exhaust and have an adverse effect post placing the bags here?

Source: web
Attached Thumbnails
Dominar Diaries - Ownership review of my Dominar 400 EDIT: Sold!-b81e0ce8686e40c2be285c52db39a7c6.jpeg  

Last edited by gururajrv : 25th December 2019 at 22:14.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 08:26   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Looking at this saddle setup, isn’t it too near to the exhaust?
It looks real close to the exhaust set-up if you are going to place a bag in the makeshift saddle set-up.

Quote:
Will it cover up the exhaust and have an adverse effect post placing the bags here?
Key would be to check with your bag while making the purchase. It for sure will have an effect, whether on the bag or the bike, this I am unsure of. Ideally, the bag should rest before exhaust clearance.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 21:41   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
What a stunning review, worth every minute spent reading. This comes second only to IronH4WK's review. Good one mohansrides, happy mile munching.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Mohan- Congratulations on your Dominar and I must confess your review is one of the most comprehensive and detailed on on this motorcycle. The humor across the entire review makes it a wonderful read...
Thank you Avi. Your thread has been my go-to for all things about the Versys. Absolutely brilliant narrative with a ton of information. To top all that, I was so delighted to learn that you are as passionate outside the forum as you are on it. One request for information from me, and you were so prompt in reaching out with very valuable and relevant advise.

To tell you the truth, I was actually a tad disappointed that you decided to part with your Versys. But, having interacted with you in person, I am positive that your next set of two-wheeled joy is right around the corner. In fact, I strongly suggest that you get your motorcycle endorsement on your Michigan DL in the US and start the next chapter of your motorcycle journey there. The US has the ideal combo - splendid roads and a veritable cornucopia of motorcycle offerings (including great deals on lightly used bikes - www.cycletrader.com), not to mention all sorts of world class gear. The only thing is that, in my opinion, you have to be doubly careful when riding in the US as car drivers there are more prone to not spot motorcyclists on the road; they simply are not used to seeing any on the road. We are better off in that regard in India.

Incidentally, I actually started my two wheeled adventures there before picking up the thread here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Honestly, I never considered this bike or other similar bikes as my interest was primarily on the bigger bikes but, this review made me appreciate how good this motorcycle is and it ain't too far from the bigger bikes in the overall performance
And with regards to the Dominar being a sleeper, take a look at the video below if you have the time. I actually stumbled upon this video only yesterday. But, I think I am going to reach out and congratulate Candida on a journey well done. I can't summon the guts to even go solo to Bangalore from Mumbai.
There is also a whole list of videos organized by episode number for the Polar Odyssey. But, these guys didn't go solo like Candida did. Good for Bajaj to have sponsored these journeys. The bike is certainly capable. It's time people knew that. I am really hoping and praying that they make a twin cylindered Dominar 800.

Quote:
Looking at this saddle setup, isn’t it too near to the exhaust? Will it cover up the exhaust and have an adverse effect post placing the bags here?..
Quote:
It looks real close to the exhaust set-up....
@gururajrv,

Sheel is right. That can looks too close for comfort. I actually thought that the culprit was an increase in height of the exhaust can in Dominar 2.0 due to the double bore. But, when I looked at this picture in profile, I think that the increase in height is implemented on the bottom part of the can. So, the clearance of the top of the can looks identical, or at least similar, to the old Dominar.

So, in this case, I think that the problem is that the pillion weight is compressing the rear shock to the point where the stay is too close to the can. Also, the design of the stay is a bit boxy. It does not account for the upward swing of the can. Maybe, you can look at something like this design, which pushes the stay up and away from the can.

Cheers
Old 28th December 2019, 12:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Review Mohan. Had read a thread on one of your rides and this review outlines everything one would want to about the dominar. Thanks for sharing so much details as there aren't too many ownership reviews of the Dominar on TeamBhp.

I had set my eyes on this when it was known as CS400 concept however I did not go ahead and buy it till now due to various reasons.

I have a Wego for local use and it does a good job with the groceries/laundry etc.

My workplace is 50kms (Goregaon to Thane and back) and the dreaded jvlr is the only road to take. My work timings are 11-8 so peak traffic both times. Add the approx 185kg weight to this and I don't know whether I'll be able to really save time with this bike as i don't think its made for daily commute.

Due to all these reasons, I'm quite not sure on whether I should bite it. And if I do, the Wego will have to go as well.

Still thinking as i just love the bike. Looks and feels perfect.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 12:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your dominar and you have rightly shared all the aspects of this machine.A superb package it is with dealership the main culprit for bajaj not able to sell much of dominars.And this is across india with most of their dealership neither give importance to dominar owners not they are in mood to sell one.
When did you purchased this bike as the shade and alloys are of 2017 variant.I too own 2019 UG green one and enjoy it to the fullest.A picture of my bike
Attached Thumbnails
Dominar Diaries - Ownership review of my Dominar 400 EDIT: Sold!-img_5776-1.jpg  

vijaythacker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 20:23   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Congratulations on your dominar...When did you purchased this bike as the shade and alloys are of 2017 variant.I too own 2019 UG green one and enjoy it to the fullest.A picture of my bike
Thank you. Mine is a 2017 motorcycle. I am glad I bought it at that time because I really dig this colour. Originally, based on pictures, I thought that I will like white. But, when I saw the motorcycles in the flesh, it was this dark maroon colour that felt right. To this day, this is the colour that I think looks best on the motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Brilliant Review Mohan...

I have a Wego for local use and it does a good job with the groceries/laundry etc.

My workplace is 50kms (Goregaon to Thane and back) and the dreaded jvlr is the only road to take. My work timings are 11-8 so peak traffic both times. Add the approx 185kg weight to this and I don't know whether I'll be able to really save time with this bike as i don't think its made for daily commute.

Due to all these reasons, I'm quite not sure on whether I should bite it. And if I do, the Wego will have to go as well.

Still thinking as i just love the bike. Looks and feels perfect.
Let's get one thing straight. The Dominar is NOT the Wego. They are different vehicles built for different purposes; and it is really not fair to compare these vehicles to each other.

The gearless Wego is light, easy to use, easy on fuel, quick in small bursts, and has plenty of storage. The Wego is designed to be useful and not to stoke your senses. It will work well in congested hell-scapes like JVLR, but will fall short in long open roads where you can easily do 90 kmph in extended stretches. The Wego is also (arguably) not going to make you feel virile and alive. That requirement was simply not on its original design brief I would imagine.

By contrast, it is quite clear that the Dominar's design team wasn't really thinking about utility when they went to work on the bike. They may not have been shooting for eyeballs Rohit Shetty style (the Dominar can help you remain unnoticed or get you really noticed, as per your wish), but the Dominar team was clearly shooting for a bike meant for the open road. The motorcycle is made to go at some speed, and designed to give you road presence and stability when you are surrounded by bigger vehicles. This machine is a highway animal. Period. Of course, like any vehicle, the bike can take on commuting duties as well. But, it won't be as effective or as fuel efficient as the Wego. The Dominar is long and heavy, has 6 narrow gears, has absolutely no storage space, and will only give you 20 kmpl in the city since most of your road time will be on JVLR. So, your 50 km commute is likely to use up 2.5 liters of fuel per day. That is Rs. 200 per day on gas alone.

So, bottom line, you have to get clear in your mind about what your real motivation is.

If you absolutely love the motorcycle and want to scratch that itch, then you should absolutely buy the bike. It is a brilliant machine that will make you smile. But, in this case, you should be clear that the purchase is about satisfying your desire. Consequently, the motorcycle's less than stellar performance in the city should not even be on your mind before, during, and after the purchase. Also, in this case, you should keep the Wego for your daily duties and reserve the Dominar for pleasure rides.

However, if you are the kind of person who...
  • ...will always feel guilty about a big expenditure for a product, if said product is not being extensively used for daily life.
  • ...will tend to worry about said vehicle's mileage and / or maintenance costs on a daily or weekly basis.
  • ...will feel regretful if the bike does not perform with the same ease in congested roads like JVLR.
Then, find ways to put the Dominar out of your mind. Use your Wego and live peacefully.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 21:23   #45
BHPian

Splendid review sir. Probably one of the most detailed reviews I have come across.

Just a few questions.

1. What is the service interval of the Dominar?
2. Can it be serviced at any Bajaj Authorised SS or only at specialized SS like the earlier Probiking (dont know if they exist or not now) which used to deal with 220 DTSFI and stuff.

I have been having the itch for this bike, currently settled on the Activa 5G after parting with the 220 Fi (marriage can make you do weird things )
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks