Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 22:25   #46
BANNED

re: Dominar Diaries - Ownership review of my Dominar 400 EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
1. What is the service interval of the Dominar?
Free services at 500 kms, 3000 kms and 10000 kms. Paid services recommended at every 5000 km after that.

Quote:
2. Can it be serviced at any Bajaj Authorised SS or only at specialized SS like the earlier Probiking (dont know if they exist or not now) which used to deal with 220 DTSFI and stuff.
Any Bajaj service center will work. But, the bike does require its technicians to be specially trained. For a while, that was a missing piece in most small dealerships. I don't know if that has changed. But, you should be fine if you pick one of the bigger Bajaj dealers in your area. Those guys have full fledged service centers with well trained crews.

The best thing to do is what I did. Before the purchase, I got the sales team to introduce me to their service head. I spoke to the SH over the phone and made sure to leave a firm impression on his mind about the kind of customer I am. He, in turn, introduced me to an SA that he trusts. Then I spoke to the SA and dropped all sorts of names. He assured me that he will do his best to help me. After that I bought the bike and made sure to consistently give my service business to the same guys. I also take leave on service days and park myself at the service center to prioritize my bike over others who will try to jump the que. So far so good.

Please note that all fluids are typically changed at every service (free or paid). An oil filter change is part of this activity. Air and fuel filter changes are optional at every service. They are however recommended every 10k kms; unless you ride in very dusty conditions, in which case you should swap them out sooner. Incidentally, the Dominar has supposedly a "viscous type" air filter that cannot be cleaned and re-installed. It can only be replaced.

Also be advised that while oil and oil filter change is a fairly straightforward process, swapping out air and fuel filters will involve removal of tank. That typically means a longer work cycle which will require the bike to be left overnight at the service center. This is something that most Dominar owners will sweat about if they are even a little bit concerned about their machines.

Quote:
I have been having the itch for this bike, currently settled on the Activa 5G after parting with the 220 Fi (marriage can make you do weird things )
Buy it. But, make sure that the family is on board. Else it will be uphill journey in perpetuity.

Cheers.
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 22:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Free services at 500 kms, 3000 kms and 10000 kms. Paid services recommended at every 5000 km after that.
Number of months between service? Or is just number of kms?
Old 29th December 2019, 22:40   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Number of months between service? Or is just number of kms?
I don't recollect the exact details actually. But, I do remember that all free services were to be exhausted within an year of purchase for my bike. So, I had to get my third free service at less than 6k kms before the year was up.

In any case, you should talk to a service manager for present day scenarios. They may have changed things for the new DOHC engine with its higher compression ratio.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:04   #49
BHPian

Awesome write up, Mohan!

Such a wonderful bike and it is so sad that the dealers show such a lethargic attitude in selling a VFM bike available in the market.

Do plan a ride towards Gujarat and we shall ride together. I know you were contemplating riding towards Polo and the Kutch earlier. Winter is the right time to get on the saddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
A picture of my bike
Good to see your bike after a long time! You know what I meant.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:53   #50
BHPian

Awesome review mate! Rated it full 5 stars!
Congratulations on the new bike.

Loved the way you have made use of the tape measure to give the readers a perspective of the exact dimensions. Exhaustive level of details covered which is worthy of a comprehensive Team BHP review level.

Thank you for taking the time and contribute to this forum.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:26   #51
BHPian

Thank you.

And yes, I know about your purchase. Maverick5490 is a nice guy that way. He had actually to join you guys for your delivery. But, I was travelling that day and could not do so. Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you are enjoying it.

@mohansrides - Thanks a lot. It took me a couple of days to get used to the stance (coming from using a RE Classic for 6 years i was used to the straight, upright pose with 90 deg feet positioning) and the somewhat stiff suspension (not complaining, I know it is required for the overall ride and handling) but now i am really enjoying my rides. Its quick, moves amazingly while cornering and feels like it can almost read my mind when changing directions at higher speeds.
ThePatientMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 21:57   #52
BHPian

Great thread mohansrides

Good to see your entire journey of two wheels, from childhood till date.

Dominar is a wonderful bike not just from a VFM perspective, but also for the fact that it is in reality all that you need to enjoy riding and cover miles in India.

Given the fact that our successive governments have only focused on adding more KMs in roads without much focus on quality and also the general driving/riding sense of our populace, this is indeed the best bike for speed, torque and also safety features.

I believe Bajaj simply lacked a consistent marketing policy for this bike. They initially came up with this 'Dominate the Night' theme and then suddenly started directly targeting RE by calling them 'Hathi'. That I believe is where they failed a bit.

Targeting 10000 bikes a year is ok and so is being over optimistic in the Media about the same. Mr. Bajaj is a good salesman and he was doing his best. But, like you have mentioned, they should focus on quality of service. Nevertheless, I understand that the Dominar is doing decent numbers and I have been a happy owner as well, so far.

We will catch-up and do a ride, whenever I could in future
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 12:53   #53
BHPian

Amazingly well written review Mohan Sir. Made for great reading. Your fascination and passion for Bikes is obvious as is your attention to detail as evidenced by the attention you pay to your Medical kit.

I could totally relate to your Moonram Pirai experience . Hilariously detailed. Thank you for such a detailed review .

Do take care and wishing you lots of happy safe rides in the future
Ganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 00:01   #54
BHPian

Hello mohansrides,
I acquired a preworshipped dominar 400 ABS on Dussehra after quite an exhaustive research and a lot of test rides. After going through your "unofficial" review and ownership experience, I so wished I had read this before buying my beast. Not that i would have changed my decision, rather, it would have made my own ownership experience a little more sweeter

I purchased her at about 7k kms on the odo and currently she's at 9.5k. As soon as the lockdown is lifted, planning to get it serviced for routine maintainance.

Thank you for your wonderful review. Keep it updated. We love to read more about your rides and your bike.

Here's my beauty on one of our monthly rides, this time at Sinhagad fort.
Attached Thumbnails
Dominar Diaries - Ownership review of my Dominar 400 EDIT: Sold!-screenshot_20200415235653__0101.jpeg  

Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 23:15   #55
BANNED

Sorry about my very very late response guys. Truth is that after the first couple of days of this thread being live, I simply forgot about it and moved on. But, thank you all for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Awesome write up, Mohan!

Such a wonderful bike and it is so sad that the dealers show such a lethargic attitude in selling a VFM bike available in the market.

Do plan a ride towards Gujarat and we shall ride together. I know you were contemplating riding towards Polo and the Kutch earlier. Winter is the right time to get on the saddle.

Good to see your bike after a long time! You know what I meant.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six... My man, I truly owe you a GJ ride. By God's grace that will happen soon. In the mean time, I hope that you are keeping safe and riding that steed of yours. I take my Dominar and go round and round in circles in my building's basement. It drives the society nuts. I do feel bad for some of the guys who get irritated. But, I quickly get over it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Awesome review mate! Rated it full 5 stars!
Congratulations on the new bike.

Loved the way you have made use of the tape measure to give the readers a perspective of the exact dimensions. Exhaustive level of details covered which is worthy of a comprehensive Team BHP review level.

Thank you for taking the time and contribute to this forum.
Thank you for reading. Do you have a Dominar also? If not, get one stat. You will not regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post
Amazingly well written review Mohan Sir. Made for great reading. Your fascination and passion for Bikes is obvious as is your attention to detail as evidenced by the attention you pay to your Medical kit.

I could totally relate to your Moonram Pirai experience . Hilariously detailed. Thank you for such a detailed review .

Do take care and wishing you lots of happy safe rides in the future
Thank you Ganapathy sir. Once the lockdown ends, I am looking forward to more threads from you about your rides and your beautiful motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Hello mohansrides,
I acquired a preworshipped dominar 400 ABS on Dussehra after quite an exhaustive research and a lot of test rides. After going through your "unofficial" review and ownership experience, I so wished I had read this before buying my beast. Not that i would have changed my decision, rather, it would have made my own ownership experience a little more sweeter

I purchased her at about 7k kms on the odo and currently she's at 9.5k. As soon as the lockdown is lifted, planning to get it serviced for routine maintainance.

Thank you for your wonderful review. Keep it updated. We love to read more about your rides and your bike.

Here's my beauty on one of our monthly rides, this time at Sinhagad fort.
The only thing better than buying a new Dominar is buying a used one I guess. You get a great bike and plus you save money Seriously though, my bike has not given me even a single problem; and I don't even take care of it. It is truly a beater bike that looks totally up-market.

Once this horrid lockdown ends, we will plan on meeting up and doing a ride. I meet up with the Pune guys once in a while.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 23:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for reading. Do you have a Dominar also? If not, get one stat. You will not regret it.

Cheers
No mate, I have owned a Pulsar 180 for 12 years now. Have ridden first gen Dominar of a friend in the office parking lot and I liked it. But the engaging of first gear reminded me of the Pulsar. Don't get me wrong please, in that price range I will go with it any day. There is no other bike that comes close to what it offers. The current gen is brilliant with the addition of USD forks and a bump in power. Just that I don't want to own a Bajaj again, not that I hold anything against the brand.
aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 08:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mohan, great review man. I'm not even that much into bikes, and I still loved reading this. Thanks for being detailed with even the small aspects - I can now chime in intelligently when the bikers are talking.

BTW, Moondram Pirai is Sadma, right?
Old 4th November 2020, 11:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dominar Diaries - A Prequel. Vol I. Part V. Maintenance and Upkeep.

Quote:
Brilliant review and ownership experience man! Started reading up on all the Dominar reviews recently (you can guess why ).

Which is the App you are using for storing all the information about fuel statistics etc.? Looks very nice.

And did I mention that I loved your sense of humor?

Last edited by pjbiju : 4th November 2020 at 11:55.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 15:07   #59
BANNED

Re: Dominar Diaries - A Prequel. Vol I. Part V. Maintenance and Upkeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Brilliant review and ownership experience man! Started reading up on all the Dominar reviews recently (you can guess why ).

Which is the App you are using for storing all the information about fuel statistics etc.? Looks very nice.

And did I mention that I loved your sense of humor?
Thank you Sir.

The app is called SimplyAuto. It is available in iOS. Not sure about Android. But that should not be a problem. If anything, Android has a better selection of apps for vehicle management and expense tracking. My advise to you is that, if you haven’t already, just join a biking WhatsApp group even before an actual bike purchase. Those things are gold mines of information. And the response times are much lower compared to a formal forum.

I hope that you find your ride. Be safe and enjoy.

Cheers

Last edited by mohansrides : 7th November 2020 at 15:09.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 22:17   #60
BHPian

Great review and very timely. I’ve been debating between the Dominar BS6 and the new entrants (Highness/Meteor) for the past month. I took a ride in my friends 2019 Dominar for around 20km to be sure and I was convinced of it. But still the lure of the Highness with its Honda pedigree and the Meteor with its stunning looks is there. I’m around 70% for Dominar and 20-20 for the other two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks