Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2019, 12:09   #31
BHPian

Re: A Kawasaki Versys 650 in today's time?

Please excuse me for a slightly off-track query. Why there are not many threads or even mentions of Kawasaki vulcan cruiser? Such a beautiful machine , but no takers? Infact cruisers are such a neglected species that even TVS, Hero, Mahindra, Honda are not even talking about it. I hope cruisers get an attention from these stalwarts.

Last edited by indigo74 : 31st December 2019 at 12:11.
indigo74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 12:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Why not look at the Triumph scrambler , you will have the torquey Hinkleys Triumph engine, offroad spec suspension and will look like Steve Mqeen. These versys vstorm etc etc i personally cannot comprehend the looks. Neither dirt bike nor sports bike.
He already has a bonnie. Triumph scrambler is nothing but a slightly modded bonnie with dual sport tyres, a bit of raised suspension, slightly higher GC, and re routed exhaust to burn your thigh in summer. It wont cut for an ideal bike for multi-day touring which is his prime requirement. Any scrambler is good for having some clean fun off the road, but not designed to suit long distance touring. seating is still on the sportier side, no real protection from elements, lack of aerodynamics, lack of provision to carry luggage for long hauls, short tank range, etc. Thats exactly where triumph has and is placed the Tiger series. Yes, looks are subjective and may not be the first preference when it comes to adv bikes, where function takes over the form.

Quote:
Please excuse me for a slightly off-track query. Why there are not many threads or even mentions of Kawasaki vulcan cruiser? Such a beautiful machine , but no takers? Infact cruisers are such a neglected species that even TVS, Hero, Mahindra, Honda are not even talking about it. I hope cruisers get an attention from these stalwarts.
Neglected as cruisers are suitable for good roads, which we generally lack. Forget standing or even raising your butt from the seat, cruisers are a pain on bad roads, where all the stress of the road is directly transferred to the back. May work well in US or Oz where roads are good. Cruisers are more associated with harleys, where the bikes have some distinctive appeal like the vibes, exhaust note, lifestyle, etc. Vulcan is based on the 650 twin which is a bullet proof engine but lacks character such as a strong exhaust note. Although good product, it does not fit in the conventional image of a cruiser. Add our indian riding conditions, and it adds to the woes, hence lack of sales. So basically someone looking for touring in India would consider adv touring bikes such as versys, vstorms, tigers and the likes. Someone looking for the aesthetics, cruiser image, lifestyle, brotherhood and such will consider harleys and the likes, will be able to fare well on our GQs, but will be heavily restricted on interior roads.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 15:44   #33
BHPian

Well explained. Cruiser market is approx 60 k per annum,avengers by Bajaj has 80% share . TVS zappelin, whenever comes here, will surely be a hit. I hope it does come soon. Cheers.
Old 2nd January 2020, 14:39   #34
BHPian

As many suggested, V Storm can be a great choice and I am totally agree with it. From what I have read on internet, heard from my riding partners and my self experience, Triumph gives better after sales service from Kawasaki and Suzuki. If you have not finalized yet, give a thought on used Tiger 800?
Old 2nd January 2020, 18:25   #35
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

You cannot go wrong with either if the choices - Versys or the VStrom. Both are good enough in their own ways. If you looking at riding only on road , the Versys is excellent with its excellent suspension. If you looking to take it for some slight off roading , the VStrom is good with those spoke wheels and slight off road based tyres. With the RE 650 coming into the picture at a sub 4 lakh price, other twin 650s have been now categorised as expensive. Which is true to some extent too.
The RE650 can do almost everything the Versys can at half the price (at the cost of comfort). The Versys can do almost everything the VStrom can - except for the off roading part. And both the Versys and VStrom and Versys can do almost anything the Tiger can at half the cost (at the cost of power and other electronics).

Like someone mentioned, you need to ride all of the motorcycles and see which one suits your purpose. Since you already have a Bonnie, you could look at the 390 ADV (lighter on weight and pocket too) or even a used Tiger (can have it for almost the same price of a new Versys/VStrom). Like I said earlier, you cannot go wrong with any of them as long as it suits your purpose.

All the best!
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 23:47   #36
BHPian

Hey Everyone,

Bumping up a silent thread. I am in a similar dilemma. Currently on the lookout for a pre owned bike, which also helps me move up a segment in terms of engine size.

I have a RE C350 and due to the lockdown have got my colleague’s KTM 390ADV (Odo at 2K). The ADV has blown me away in terms of ergonomics, riding posture and general ability to tackle bad roads.

I had booked a Svartpilen pre lockdown which can be delivered now. This bike would have been used for going around the city. (In style, personally like all minimalistic designs) But due to the 390 ADV experience, decided to take the plunge for a larger displacement ADV. This could hopefully be a step into going further up the ladder or figure out if lower displacement is where my liking is.

Among the preowned choices are Versys 650/V Strom/Tiger 800. The tigers are a little out of budget. Among the other two- I really don’t have a fixed choice as both are extremely capable machines in their own environments. I don’t see myself riding off-road much, so the edge that Vstrom has, doesn’t add alot of value to me. Also the V650s availability in the pre owned market is high (due to the sales numbers).

I checked a V650- Late 2019 sold and current odo at 6k and took a short ride and came back with a few observations-
- The clutch was HARD- on enquiring about it the owner said it’s a chronic Versys issue. Is it really?
- The engine didn’t feel “Free” or let’s just say wasn’t revving all that well. Does the 650 take a lot more KMs to get there?
- Is my usage of the 390ADV biasing my opinion of the free revving engine?
- It seems some V650s have been sold at around 7 lacs OTR. What should be a good price for the bike. (Haven’t got a clue of this market )

Are there any other bike options I should pursue?

All feedback is appreciated

Stay Safe
bhargavd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 04:41   #37
BHPian

Can't comment on the Versys clutch but my Z650 clutch is very smooth so I can't figure out how a Versys which I believe shares the same clutch should be hard. And no by around 2000 kms the engine is pretty free already but the 6k service should free it up a bit more.

Honestly I think you should do a TD at Kawasaki Pune. Cause its highly possible the bike you checked out was damaged in some way.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 17:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post

I checked a V650- Late 2019 sold and current odo at 6k and took a short ride and came back with a few observations-
- The clutch was HARD- on enquiring about it the owner said it’s a chronic Versys issue. Is it really?
Never found the Versys clutch hard. Assuming you did, but still - did you check the adjustment knob to see at what setting the owner would've set/preferred it? That could also be a factor why you found it hard.

Quote:
- The engine didn’t feel “Free” or let’s just say wasn’t revving all that well. Does the 650 take a lot more KMs to get there?
If you mention "free revving" and "390ADV bias" - I feel you're referring to the 'ride by wire' smoothness as opposed to the Versys cable throttle play? But since you're also a CL350 owner - I'd say you'd have figured it out. Again, the 650 engines are super smooth and revvy once the first service is done (and proper engine running-in maintained). For a bike that's done 6k on the ODO, I'd check the service history to figure out if there's any engine issue that was worked on. Did you feel any 'jerk' or 'issues' while test-riding the bike? A lot of times, this is an indicator of how the Owner has been riding/maintaining the bike.

Quote:
- It seems some V650s have been sold at around 7 lacs OTR. What should be a good price for the bike. (Haven’t got a clue of this market )
Yes, the last few BS4 bikes were sold at around 6-6.5L OTR in mumbai. Some even got it for around 5.45L (2018 ones). For a 2019 V650, I'd say 5L-5.5L is a good price - if service history checks fine. Nothing more than this.

Quote:
Since you mentioned the VStrom, I'd pick that over the Versys anyday. But then, the 390ADV isn't bad too - for the budget you've got. There's a great thread to follow alongwith videos by Red Liner. The other patience route would be to lookout for Tiger 800. With the 900 models out, many would be upgrading from their XR/XRX - and those would be the ideal ones to go for (at a slightly stretched budget, but then its worth if you're going to make use of the bike)
TheVaas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 21:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Bumping up a silent thread. I am in a similar dilemma. Currently on the lookout for a pre owned bike, which also helps me move up a segment in terms of engine size.

I have a RE C350 and due to the lockdown have got my colleague’s KTM 390ADV (Odo at 2K). The ADV has blown me away in terms of ergonomics, riding posture and general ability to tackle bad roads.
The best bet for your usage pattern would be Versys 650 compared to V-Strom as you don't plan to venture off-road. It is better planted on tarmac than V-Strom and you can get nice deals in used market. As for the clutch, I've not felt to be hard on V650, anyway not anything to be compared with RE.
kozhissery is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 00:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

All feedback is appreciated

Stay Safe
1. I find it hard too as compared to a small sub 250 capacity bike if that is also your benchmark for comparison. During one of the initial rides with my close friend who got a Versys 650, I cautioned him about the hard clutch. Since then he compared it with other Versys 650 owners and confirmed the false alarm. Comparatively, the clutch of my CBR250 felt significantly light to both of us

2. The twin-engine is super smooth and quite rev happy considering its tuned as a highway cruiser than outright tarmac scorcher IMO.

3. As others suggested, anything between 4-5.5 lakhs should be good for a 2-3 year old less used bike. Agreed the on-road price of new ones were ~7 lakhs not so long ago but also do consider the cost of basic accessories (lets say 50k at minimum) which you will get with an used specimen in all likelihood.

4. While I'm a huge fan of Versys 650 for its multiple advantages and bullet proof reliability, I'd consider V-Strom 650 if I'm in looking in that price bracket and Tiger 800 or Ninja 1000 if budget permits. For anything new below 6 lakhs, KTM 390 Adventure or Interceptor 650 is most bang for the buck
camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 11:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Can't comment on the Versys clutch but my Z650 clutch is very smooth so I can't figure out how a Versys which I believe shares the same clutch should be hard. And no by around 2000 kms the engine is pretty free already but the 6k service should free it up a bit more.

Honestly I think you should do a TD at Kawasaki Pune. Cause its highly possible the bike you checked out was damaged in some way.
Yes, should be like the Z650 actually. Will try take another TD with different bike and/or at the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
Never found the Versys clutch hard. Assuming you did, but still - did you check the adjustment knob to see at what setting the owner would've set/preferred it? That could also be a factor why you found it hard.
The owner himself mentioned "the clutch on all Versys' are hard. I am now assuming there is some issue.

Quote:
For a bike that's done 6k on the ODO, I'd check the service history to figure out if there's any engine issue that was worked on. Did you feel any 'jerk' or 'issues' while test-riding the bike? A lot of times, this is an indicator of how the Owner has been riding/maintaining the bike.
Interesting point. The bike was jerky, but I put it down to me riding a different bike and the hard clutch. Again, seems to point to some issue.

Quote:
Since you mentioned the VStrom, I'd pick that over the Versys anyday. But then, the 390ADV isn't bad too - for the budget you've got. There's a great thread to follow alongwith videos by Red Liner. The other patience route would be to lookout for Tiger 800. With the 900 models out, many would be upgrading from their XR/XRX - and those would be the ideal ones to go for (at a slightly stretched budget, but then its worth if you're going to make use of the bike)
I am taking this feedback- read through the 390ADV thread all over again yesterday and a few more videos on youtube. Could be a good bike to get the best of both worlds- tarmac and entry into trail riding. The falls will be less expensive

On the Tiger part- As I am in no hurry (at least till the rainy season ends), I will keep a lookout for good deal that doesn't break the bank. But, I know, I may not do much justice to the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
As for the clutch, I've not felt to be hard on V650, anyway not anything to be compared with RE.
I am going to let go that deal. All the feedbacks point towards some issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
4. While I'm a huge fan of Versys 650 for its multiple advantages and bullet proof reliability, I'd consider V-Strom 650 if I'm in looking in that price bracket and Tiger 800 or Ninja 1000 if budget permits. For anything new below 6 lakhs, KTM 390 Adventure or Interceptor 650 is most bang for the buck
Ohh, I love the V-Strom 650. Feels like I can hold on to it forever unlike the Versys which I may grow out of pretty soon. Come to think of it, the 390 ADV right now and maybe V-Strom/Tiger a few years down the line could be a prudent decision.

Though my main use would be on the road, where the Versys is really good, the V-Strom isnt exactly a slouch. Add to that, the capability of riding out in the rough, if that bug bites me after buying an ADV. The Versys will become a complete no-go vs the V-Strom.
Old 7th July 2020, 11:48   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

This clutch cable being hard could simply be because the cable has not been lubricated. Spray some wd40 down that thing, and it becomes as smooth as a babys bottom.

I used to do this on my Versys every 3-4,000 kms. My stock cable lasted 50,000 kms. Yes you read that right, and i was very proud about it until it unfortunately broke at 2 am in the middle of a ride about 400 kms away from home lol. My riding buddies haven't forgiven me for that yet.

Last edited by Red Liner : 7th July 2020 at 11:50.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 12:36   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Hi all,

A quick shout out to everyone. I currently own 3 bikes (2 bullets and a Triumph Bonnie T100), I am on the lookout for an adventure/sports adventure bike.

Does a Versys 650 at almost 8 lacs on road have a case for itself?

Cheers,
Ac
Personally I am not a big fan of the Versys. If you're looking at a bike in that segment or higher, I would say try to get a used one first. If you are not taking a loan, I would definitely ask you to consider a Tiger. You can get used pieces for 8 - 9 lakh and that bike is bullet proof. Don't let high mileage put you off. It will probably be the same cost to service and upkeep as a Versys. Kawas are known to be expensive on their service.

I would say narrow options to new V Strom (harder to find used since its relatively new), used Versys, used Tiger or new KTM 390 A.

Cylinders matter though and I can say a versys or tiger will definitely feel much meatier on the road than the KTM.

Secondly, while you may be 80% on road, the Tiger (even an XRX) will just be SO much fun off the road than a Versys for sure - and more fun on road as well. You don't want to find yourself in a place where your riding priorities change a couple of years down the line but your bike no longer fits the changed priorities. The Tiger will be a lot more versatile should you wish to use it differently.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th July 2020 at 12:38.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 15:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I am taking this feedback- read through the 390ADV thread all over again yesterday and a few more videos on Youtube. Could be a good bike to get the best of both worlds- tarmac and entry into trail riding. The falls will be less expensive

On the Tiger part- As I am in no hurry (at least till the rainy season ends), I will keep a lookout for good deal that doesn't break the bank. But, I know, I may not do much justice to the bike.

I am going to let go that deal. All the feedbacks point towards some issue.
Seeing youtube videos of riders off-roading/trail-riding or even highway munching effortlessly - one seems to develop an "even I can do it" mentality and ends up with an ADV bike, only to realise that the learning curve to 'tame' such bikes requires a lot of discipline and patience

I'm saying this because even I was in a V650/Vstrom dilemma not too long ago (I had a Z650). The 390A wasn't out by then - but seeing the thread and videos, I felt it'd soon become the ideal tourer + odd occasional trail/off-riding choice over the Himalayan. And probably ideal value for money given the current scenario. I'd have gone for it and honed my skills before making the jump to the bigger ADVs. I ended up with a Tiger - and there is no looking back (or ahead) for me now

Quote:
Ohh, I love the V-Strom 650. Feels like I can hold on to it forever unlike the Versys which I may grow out of pretty soon. Come to think of it, the 390 ADV right now and maybe V-Strom/Tiger a few years down the line could be a prudent decision.
What I've come to realize is that the 650s are always going to be the 'intermediate' category from which one would ideally upgrade to the higher engines. Call it human nature, but we rarely are satisfied with one thing. The upgrade bug infects us all and we grow out of the bike we thought would last forever. Many member riders here have shared their experiences of the same - either the bike is a 'keeper' or you're still finding 'the one'.

So ideally a more 'pragmatic' approach than 'prudent' might work wonders! Happy thinking!
Old 7th July 2020, 17:33   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unlike many other bike purchases, the ADV rider actually wants to ensure he rides out in the monsoons. Like on our RATS groups, the sports bike guys park their rides during the monsoon (I am generalising of course), while the Tigers come out in their element.

Quote:
I can promise you having ridden some kms on a V Strom and owned a Tiger, the difference is night and day. My close friend was recently in the market for an ADV. We saw a LOT more value in getting a used Tiger at similar price to a new V Strom and have in fact shortlisted Tigers now for purchase. I am not saying this as a Tiger owner but this is my objective opinion (it as only an opinion of course but unbiased I can assure you).

Personally I think a 390 A is an excellent way to dip your toes into the ADV space as well. Like VAAS recommended. Give it a go at a low price point and then upgrade to whichever big ADV you like.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks