Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2019, 15:10   #31
BHPian

Re: 1st Motorcycle for a beginner

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions.

I have been riding the activa extensively over last couple of days and few things I have observed.

1. I am having mid back pain due to handle bar being set too low for me. So the bike that I need should have upright position.

2. I took test ride of duke 125. I liked the bike but the power is probably little too much for me to handle. I also took test ride of hero honda splendor ismart bs vi. Although I did not like the specs, or looks, I liked the upright position and the power was something that I could easily handle with a pillion for the test ride.

I don’t think I would be using the bike as a commuter everyday, it’s not a need, I will only use it when I like. I may use it for commuting everyday if I feel. Highway rides if at all will be occasional, I am more comfortable to take the car on highway drives.

Although I would like to get something like duke 200 or r15 or dominar etc I am thinking if I should start with something like unicorn to get familiar.

Last edited by sumannandy : 26th December 2019 at 15:12.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 15:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Although I would like to get something like duke 200 or r15 or dominar etc I am thinking if I should start with something like unicorn to get familiar.
Would not suggest any of the KTMs to you, because of the hooligan nature of throttle response and reliability issues.
Also, any 100/110/125 like the Splendor/ Shine will get boring too soon, specially on the highways.
So do test ride the Honda/ Suzuki/ Yamaha 150s, they suit your requirement well.
Old 26th December 2019, 15:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing like that. A Unicorn isn't going to teach you much because it's got commuter ergonomics. You will not learn how to extract the most out of a bike if you waste time riding something like the Unicorn. The Unicorn is strictly for commuting purposes and/or budget conscious folks. Get an MT15 or R15 or Duke 200 or RC200. I bought an RC390 as my first bike so believe me a 150-200cc bike will not be an issue for you

The thing is you need something with a stiff, yet communicative chassis along with slightly more complex suspension and brakes with loads of feel. No commuter bike is going to offer anything of that sort so you best stay far away from the likes of the Unicorn etc.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th December 2019 at 15:57.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 16:12   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Not necessary from my experience.

I started riding from 2011 after going through a couple of YouTube videos as I grew up in a boarding school and had no one around to teach me how to ride, I got a 223cc Hero Honda KariZMA paid for by my father who works abroad and had come down to India on his annual leave.

The first time I rode the ZMA out of the showroom was practically the first time I ever rode a geared motorcycle on the road. Yes, she's underpowered by modern standards but back then she was dope or at least that's what everyone told me.

As of now I've clocked over 2 Lakh km's on motorcycles that I've owned and around a few thousand km's on motorcycles that I've maintained for friends, all in all, I've ridden motorcycles as low as 80cc and as high as 750cc, and what I've concluded from the experience is that as long as you know what you want and have a clear head then all is well.

Some enthusiasts on this very forum have jumped from 100cc to 1300cc motorcycles without batting an eye, so that simply is that. Go with whatever your heart desires and you'll figure out the rest.

P.S. People wrongly presume scooters to be easier to ride than motorcycles, which might be the case within a parking lot, but they're quite dangerous on the open roads, you don't have engine braking, a wheel can only go over obstacles that are below its axle and scooters having tiny tires really require your attention, you practically cannot take it easy with a scooter at highway speeds and on tricky surfaces especially in India.

I say this cause I've toured interstate on a TVS Wego and also managed to wreck it such that it was declared a total loss. Which comes to the next point, irrespective of what you ride, investing in proper safety gear is a no brainer.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 17:11   #35
BHPian

There is nothing such as a perfect bike.
Apart from all the things above, I would like to add that, its always better to ride the bike on different kinds of roads to check if that bike suits your physique. Take the bike thru some potholes, some speed humps, try doing some speed stint and urgent braking(only till you feel safe). All this will greatly help you understand the comfort level of the bike to your physique.

Coming to the power and usage part; as you are new to motorcycling, today any 125cc - 200cc commuter might seem adequate or powerful to you. But probably if you get into biking, like touring and all, you will soon feel the in-competencies of the commuter bikes on long hauls. Then you might urge to have a bigger bike.

Post the comfort factor, I would still suggest you to get a 125cc - 200cc commuter for now. Whichever bike you are comfortable with, get that. After a while if you want to get into biking, you can still keep this bike for daily errands and get a bigger capacity bike for your biking needs. If not, then you still will have a comfortable bike with you.

Last edited by iamahunter : 26th December 2019 at 17:13.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 20:07   #36
BHPian

For a first bike I would recommend something that is easy to move around when not powered, easy to flat foot and not too much of power. Good brakes + ABS is good to have but the best brake is most often one inside your head.

Just for the record I started riding on a MOFA - the moped from enfield

http://royal-enfield-history.blogspo...mofa-22cc.html
Old 27th December 2019, 22:05   #37
BHPian

I took test drive of Avenger, Platina, Splendor iSmart, XBlade, Unicorn. The Honda showroom manager was really enthusiastic about providing test ride. Not only he arranged for test ride multiple times, today he agreed to provide test ride as long as I want and wherever I want. He also deputed one sales executive with me to teach me how to ride bikes. The executive was sitting pillion the whole time.

I took the longest test ride in xblade. Contrary to what I used to think, I realized that it was pretty easy to carry pillion in heavier bikes. I could easily manage couple of kms of ride with the sales executives as pillion in avenger and xblade, longest being on xblade. However, in Platina, Splendor ismart and my current activa, it is not so easy to carry a pillion probably due to the light weight of the bike. Slight movement from the pillion tends to disbalance the vehicle, and also it was relatively difficult to start from standstill with a pillion in light weight bikes.

I really liked the xblade, they even offered a loan from Tata Capital. On road price was 1,14,000 after 1,000 discount and some accessories. I liked the ismart too, but xblade was way better in almost every aspect.

Finally by the end of the day, I have booked xblade.

Last edited by sumannandy : 27th December 2019 at 22:07.
sumannandy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 06:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

How about the Hornet? Isnt it essentially similar to the XBlade? I guess they share the same engine.
Old 28th December 2019, 07:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
How about the Hornet? Isnt it essentially similar to the XBlade? I guess they share the same engine.
Hornet is good but it has got rear disc brakes without ABS. XBlade has got Rear drum brakes. So I was thinking for a new rider like me, chances of rear wheel locking up in xblade will be much lesser. Also, the xblade low and mid range is supposedly better than hornet. I managed to stall the hornet many times during a very short test ride. Of course, platina comfortec was even better, it 'automatically' adjusts the throttle when needed with absolutely no jerk whatsoever.

All from the view point of a new rider.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 08:34   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Hornet is good but it has got rear disc brakes without ABS. XBlade has got Rear drum brakes. So I was thinking for a new rider like me, chances of rear wheel locking up in xblade will be much lesser.
That is not accurate, irrespective of Drum or Disc, the rear would lock up. Plus Disc brakes at the rear have intentionally less stopping power due to the single pot design considering their front counterparts.

Type of brake rarely contributes to whether it would lock or not, I'd suggest going with discs if you have the option cause they're fairly easy to maintain. Also you'd not need to worry about the hub wearing down as is the case with drum brakes.

Quote:
Also, the xblade low and mid range is supposedly better than hornet. I managed to stall the hornet many times during a very short test ride. Of course, platina comfortec was even better, it 'automatically' adjusts the throttle when needed with absolutely no jerk whatsoever.

Low end torque is determined by cylinder setup, simply divide the Stroke by the Bore and you'll get a fair Idea;

Hornet: 1.10
Platina Comfortec: 1.25

Compression ratio, tire size etc does play a considerable part but this is the basic information you'd need to make a decision.

P.S. Honda being a synonym to reliability is a myth when it comes to HMSI and their offerings. As told by a fellow enthusiast it's the same as with Toyota, everyone says it's reliable but that is not the case if you consider state of tune and component replacement cost and cycle.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 28th December 2019, 10:26   #41
BHPian

My 2p worth:
  1. A scooter with small wheels handles differently from a motorcycle with larger wheels. A motorcycle is more stable for this reason, but this means maneuvering around obstacles is harder. Simple physics, but something you will have to learn viscerally.
  2. Rent the bikes for a month or so to really get to know them, and your preferences. A test ride will barely tell you anything.
  3. Handling a heavier, faster motorcycle will depend not only on your skill but also your physique and your fitness level.
  4. You may get used to the power of a larger bike on normal runs, but the temptation to use that power, which seems to be endless, can get you into trouble. On an average 100 cc scooter, the power, even at full throttle is very limited.
  5. Take safety very seriously, a 2-wheeler has zero safety features, and a mistake will cost you much, much more than in a 4-wheeled cocoon. A fall will teach you a lot, make sure it is the cheapest one you can get!
  6. Don't fall for the subliminal programming from ads that associate "adventure", "thrill", "freedom" and the like with those unsafe contraptions they are trying to sell. I don't know how you can deprogram yourself, but watch out!
  7. Also, if you are on any medication, make sure they don't affect you adversely while you ride - balance and attention are critical.
Good luck and happy riding.

Last edited by mvadg : 28th December 2019 at 10:28.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 11:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hornet is good but it has got rear disc brakes without ABS. XBlade has got Rear drum brakes. So I was thinking for a new rider like me, chances of rear wheel locking up in xblade will be much lesser. Also, the xblade low and mid range is supposedly better than hornet. I managed to stall the hornet many times during a very short test ride. Of course, platina comfortec was even better, it 'automatically' adjusts the throttle when needed with absolutely no jerk whatsoever.

Did you consider ever the Aprilia SR 150 ? I got a feeling of it being a “quasi” motorcycle. I am still torn between the convenience of a scooter(cvt) and the sense of “ biking pleasure” of a proper motorcycle, although not necessarily a very powerful one (upto 250cc is fine). What would the experts recommend here? Like i said, the planned use is weekend city runs up to 15 km to avoid parking issues or an occasional , a fun ride upto 50 km.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 28th December 2019 at 11:05. Reason: Spelling
Old 29th December 2019, 19:30   #43
BHPian

If I were you, I'd buy a Hero Xpulse 200 (not the 200T). It is reasonably inexpensive to buy and maintain, lightweight and powerful enough and suits your height. It offers an upright riding position and has a reliable enough engine.

I would consider taking lessons in riding, which could be from an experienced friend or perhaps a professional. Or both. This is *important*, because it will serve to teach you some basics while eliminating the bad habits that invariably creep into a learner. Just sitting behind an experienced friend who is considered to be a good, safe motorcycle rider will help you learn from observation.

Take a course in off road riding, then start to ride off-road. This will allow you to practice, explore and learn in a relatively safe, traffic and pressure-free environment. You need to learn the nuances of overall control, balance, braking, clutch and throttle control etc. You can (and should) ride slow while you improve your skills and confidence. Buy a good helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and pants. Even if you were to fall, it will be a low-speed drop rather than a serious fall or collision and you will emerge without a scratch. Ride in safe, level terrain and if you can, take a friend (on his own bike) with you. If you like motorcycles, you will enjoy this.

The most important thing is, practice will make you perfect. Good luck!

Last edited by airfoil : 29th December 2019 at 19:43.
airfoil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 20:02   #44
BHPian

I am going to cancel XBlade booking, hopefully the dealer will refund the booking amount. Got an Yamaha FZS-FI BS VI. The bike rides really well, about right weight, and looks good. In fact the riding feel was best in this bike of all the bikes I test rode (XBlade, Hornet, Gixxer, Hero Splendor ismart, Bajaj Platina H Gear, Avenger, RTR 160 4V, KTM Duke 125, R15). Of course, it was from the point of view of a new rider. The bike comes with ABS, and the chrome bits looks good.

i am out and out a car person, so I really expect everything to work like a car. For example, I don't think I would ever bother to use kick start. A working self starter is my minimum expectation. I am not sure if this bike has got any kick starter. I appreciate the ABS, would have liked dual channel ABS, but then did not like the R15 (the bike is great but 15 minutes of test ride gave me wrist pain). And I think 250 CC bikes may not be a great idea to start with. I like the radial tire, seating position and the ease of riding with a pillion.

Last edited by sumannandy : 2nd January 2020 at 20:10.
sumannandy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:01   #45
BANNED

Quote:
I am going to cancel XBlade booking, hopefully the dealer will refund the booking amount. Got an Yamaha FZS-FI BS VI.
Having a utilitarian outlook I tend to have an almost subconscious dislike for some products and unfortunately most them are from the Japs.

But, with the FZ you really can't go wrong, granted they have managed to fudge up the original product but the latest iteration has inspired some of the lost confidence.

Do consider if theres really anything substantially different between the FZ and FZS, if its merely cosmetic then I'd urge you to reconsider, but if it's a heart decision then go ahead by all means.

And I'm extremely glad you boycotted the Honda's, they do not have anything to offer other than the Brand Name in this category after the CBR150R was phased out and trust me, brand value alone simply doesn't cut it these days, especially considering competition.

And finally, wish you many happy miles together!

Cheers and Ride Safe,
A.P.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks