Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:11   #46
BHPian

Re: 1st Motorcycle for a beginner

I got the delivery today. Booked and paid in the morning, bike was delivered by 3 pm, after some intervention from the sales manager.

Technically speaking there are not much changes between FZ and FZS. However, FZS comes with zapper tire in the front and revz radial at the rear but the FZ comes with Ceat tires. Also the FZs gets matte color which looks better. So finally went for the FZS, which was about 3-4k costlier. however the dealer gave some discount on accessories, and when I pointed them to the team bhp post about handling charges scam, they reduced the total amount further.
sumannandy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 06:58   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I am going to cancel XBlade booking, hopefully the dealer will refund the booking amount. Got an Yamaha FZS-FI BS VI...
Congratulations! The only suggestion I have is - swap out the tyres for Michelins.

Happy New Year and Happy Safe Riding!
Old 3rd January 2020, 09:43   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Congratulations! The only suggestion I have is - swap out the tyres for Michelins.

Happy New Year and Happy Safe Riding!
Not exactly required.

The Michellin PSR's are good, but the MRF combo on the FZ isn't bad either. In fact the Yamaha has a reputation for offering the best of MRF's on their R15's and FZ16's.

Regards,
A.P

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 3rd January 2020 at 09:48.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 21:54   #49
BHPian

The bike came with Zapper FX1 in the front and revz Y at the back. Should I keep it or is there anything better available? Sorry I don't have any experience in bikes, so everything seems okay to me.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 22:05   #50
BANNED

Quote:
The bike came with Zapper FX1 in the front and revz Y at the back. Should I keep it or is there anything better available? Sorry I don't have any experience in bikes, so everything seems okay to me.
Front tyre is good, rear tyre is not up to the mark IF you consider the MRF RevZ S on the R15v2, but decent for Indian conditions as it offers considerably more life than the RevZ S.

The FZ series was given comparatively harder tyres later on in production as they were commuters and there were frequent complaints of the softer compounds getting punctured quite often, friend owned a Gen 1 Fazer16 and the rear tyre had to be prematurely changed due to frequent punctures.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 6th January 2020 at 22:08.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:58   #51

Hi BHPians,

I don't have any experience in riding a motorcycle and I am planning to upgrade from a Honda Activa to a bike now. I have been riding scooters for the past 10-12 years now.
I just came across this thread which I think pretty much answered my queries and even I am considering buying Yamaha FZS v3.

However, I am confused between 2 bikes, in particular, Hornet 2.0 and FZS. I will be mostly using this bike for local commuting and occasional weekend commutes. I am planning to own my new bike for a longer duration (7-10 years).

The reason I am inclined towards Hornet is I own a Honda 2 wheeler (activa 2nd gen) which is 7.5 years old now and my experience has been quite good so far. But one thing concerns me is 180cc engine of Hornet.
Being new to motorcycles, would Hornet's 180cc engine be too powerful for me?
If maintained properly, do Yamahas last equally long as Hondas?
shyam117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:30   #52
BHPian

Hi,
Congratulations on your enthusiasm to explore the motorcycling world. More than the nature of the bike it's the discipline of the rider which enables to explore and enjoy.
I feel you should be looking at 150-200cc bikes, which has relaxed riding posture and you should be able to flat feet comfortably. As you gain more confidence you can upgrade gradually, in that vein consider pre owned.
Options you can consider is Honda unicorn, Honda hornet, Yamaha Fz. All three are reliable, forgiving and comfortable to ride in and around the city. Ktm is a high revving bike and I don't feel you should start with that.
Good luck and cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam117 View Post
But one thing concerns me is 180cc engine of Hornet.
I don't think the Hornet's engine would be too powerful. I suppose it's upto throttle control in the end, moving up to a 180cc from an Activa seems perfectly fine to me.

Most of my riding experience was limited to short runs on a borrowed 100cc commuter bike or on a 125cc scooter, moving up to a 200cc XPulse as my first bike was comfortable for me. (The primary concern was the seat height not necessarily the power.)

As long as you are gentle on the throttle until you're used to the power delivery - you should be fine IMO.
playingpossum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 17:10   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingpossum View Post
As long as you are gentle on the throttle until you're used to the power delivery - you should be fine IMO.
I completely agree with playingpossum. Till about a week back, I was scared of riding a Royal Enfield since in my mind, it was a high powered bike. The throttle is something that's completely under your control and you decide how much of it is needed.

Whatever bike you get, spend some time getting comfortable with the throttle, the weight of the bike and the braking. Once you're reasonably confident with your handling and your ability to bring the bike to a stop, you can slowly start increasing the throttle and going faster.
WinniedPo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 10:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

I don't have any experience in riding a motorcycle and I am planning to upgrade from a Honda Activa to a bike now. I have been riding scooters for the past 10-12 years now.
I just came across this thread which I think pretty much answered my queries and even I am considering buying Yamaha FZS v3.

However, I am confused between 2 bikes, in particular, Hornet 2.0 and FZS. I will be mostly using this bike for local commuting and occasional weekend commutes. I am planning to own my new bike for a longer duration (7-10 years).
There will be differences in dynamics between an Activa and a larger wheeled motorcycle and it will take you some time to get used to the slightly different handling (In a straight line ride you will hardly notice the difference, but changing direction quickly like around potholes, etc., will be different.) Best would be to ride your new bike in an empty parking lot and try out figure of eight moves, acceleration, braking etc., till you are quite comfortable. Otherwise you will learn on the road as the circumstances dictate and you may not be in full control of all factors at that time. Practicing in a parking lot, you'll get to experience almost all the handling quirks in a couple of hours (I think one hour max). Stability over potholes will be much better on a motorcycle.

Also, if you can rent the motorbikes you can try them out before you buy thoroughly. About servicing, you should check the forum for brand specific information.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:44   #56

Quote:
Got an Yamaha FZS-FI BS VI. The bike rides really well, about right weight, and looks good. In fact the riding feel was best in this bike of all the bikes I test rode ...

I like the radial tire, seating position and the ease of riding with a pillion.
Hi,

I am also planning to buy the same as my first bike, and am new to riding too (except bicycle). It would be great if you share your experience with your bike, if you have faced any issues, any pointers you would like to mention etc.

Thanks in advance!
ayan59dutta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shyam, check out the Hornet 2.0 which has been recently launched. Except a lot of reviewers saying it has a hard suspension which you should see for yourself, I don’t think there should be any other issues.

You already have road sense after riding a scooter for so long, don’t worry or overthink things, go ahead and buy a motorcycle. Power wise just keep control of your wrist and you will be fine. Riding wise the larger wheels on the motorcycle will only seem easier, different but easier than a scooter.

You just need to get used to the clutch and gears which will come with practice. Ride around in by lanes, internal roads till you feel comfortable with that.

That’s it, enjoy your purchase and update us on what you finally buy.

All the best!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 21:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
However, I am confused between 2 bikes, in particular, Hornet 2.0 and FZS. I will be mostly using this bike for local commuting and occasional weekend commutes. I am planning to own my new bike for a longer duration (7-10 years)
Hey Shyam,

The premium 150cc's like the FZ, Gixxer etc have become way too expensive owing to the BS transitions and the rules mandating ABS. I'd suggest you also test ride the TVS Apache 200. It gets the following features over the Hornet 2.0:

Adjustable Brake & Clutch levers
Glide through traffic technology
Bluetooth Connectivity
Riding Modes
Slipper Clutch
Dual Channel ABS
Rear wheel Lift-off Protection
Showa Suspension (Front is Adjustable too; Not sure about the rear)

The Dual Channel ABS is reason enough for me, given that both the Hornet & FZ come with a single channel ABS.

TVS have also managed to get the rider's triangle spot on and the 200 is by far the best sounding motorcycle in this class.

Speaking from personal experience, I have a 155cc Gixxer since 2015, which was my first motorcycle too. But I got bored of it on the highway after a year and a half. The 200 will keep you entertained for a longer period of time owing to its triple digit cruising ability, especially given the fact you intend to hold on to it for a long time.

As always, please test ride everything that is in your budget ballpark, because the proof of a motorcycle is always in the riding. Do let us know what you pick in the end.

Quote:
Even Royal Enfields will last long as Honda's if "maintained" properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayan59dutta View Post
Hi,

I am also planning to buy the same as my first bike, and am new to riding too (except bicycle). It would be great if you share your experience with your bike, if you have faced any issues, any pointers you would like to mention etc.

Thanks in advance!
Hey Ayan,

Please look at the Hero Xtreme 160r & the Apache RTR 160 4V too. The fun to ride factor of the FZ has nosedived with every generation. Test ride all your options, preferably back to back. One of them will make you happier than the others.
Shumi_21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 21:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Hey Ayan,

Please look at the Hero Xtreme 160r & the Apache RTR 160 4V too. The fun to ride factor of the FZ has nosedived with every generation. Test ride all your options, preferably back to back. One of them will make you happier than the others.
Hi Shumi,

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I will test ride all my options.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by the fun to ride factor? As I mentioned earlier, I am absolutely new to bikes.
ayan59dutta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 10:28   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Since you have quite a bit of experience with handling Indian traffic and parking conditions and also mentioned that you are looking at owning a bike for a very long time, I feel a 200cc bike would be best. It will have enough power to keep you happy on highway runs and will be well suited to the city also. Shumi_21's suggestion of the latest Apache RTR 4V is excellent, TVS is the one company that is bringing a load of features to the lower capacity segments.

Yes, reliability wise, Yamaha scores very well but the long term condidion of the bike will also depend on the quality of the service centers in your city. In most places, it is better to find a good FNG who can service your bike once warranty gets over as they will do a thorough job during each annual service.

Quote:
Can you share your usage pattern? Will you be taking it in the city? On weekend runs?

Quote:
Hi Shumi,

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I will test ride all my options.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by the fun to ride factor? As I mentioned earlier, I am absolutely new to bikes.
There is no straightforward answer for what determines whether a motorcycle is fun to ride. It is the X factor that can cause a motorcycle to appear to be greater than the sum of its parts. On paper, some bikes can be meh but when you ride it you might love it. Or vice versa.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks