Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:03   #76
BHPian

Re: 1st Motorcycle for a beginner

Hi. Am buying a new bike for my son who has just learned motorcycle driving a few months back on a 160 cc Apache.

He is 5 feet 8 and a half.

Am thinking ( nearly finalized ) of the Husqvarna Svartpilen, the main pro being dual channel ABS against the Yamaha MT 15s single channel ABS. The KTM Dukes are out of consideration due to their forward committed driving posture

My son has driven both the bikes, is happy with both but I prefer the Husqy for reasons mentioned above. He is not at all a rash driver.

Would love to hear from forum members regarding the above.

Last edited by RedRaider : 22nd March 2021 at 11:05.
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:16   #77
Senior - BHPian

I think the MT-15 would be the better choice purely from a build quality, refinement and reliability stand-point. At the end of the day it is his first bike. If he ever choses to upgrade to something with more character that can be his choice but if he isn't able to choose between the Yamaha and the Husqvarna right now, then no point not buying the more reliable Japanese one (coming from someone who's first bike has been an RC390 which still brings a smile to my face everytime).
Old 30th March 2021, 01:03   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam117 View Post

I am planning to buy one in next 30-45 days so will update here with my riding and purchasing experience at that time.
I went for a test ride of RTR 200 4V, FZS and XBlade on the same day, sales person of Honda showroom asked me to test ride the new Hornet 2.0. RTR 200 was ruled out because I felt it to be too heavy for daily commute in city traffic. I did like both FZS and Hornet for their light weight. But ended up buying hornet because I personally liked its looks better and because of its higher torque compared to FZS. Thanks again for your inputs everyone
shyam117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:45   #79
BHPian

Hi everyone.
It has been some time since my last post in this thread. I was considering an used bike then but then I decided to save up some more and get a new first bike. I have some years of riding experience. After a lot of brainstorming, I have shortlisted 2 bikes: The Gixxer SF250 and the Honda CB350RS.

Now the thing is there are no proper comparisons between these 2 bikes as they are of different segments but only these 2 seem to fit in the things I am looking out of my 1st bike: a slight sporty attentive stance, exclusivity and good highway manners for occasional long rides, decently good mileage and no hooligan performance (I need a easy progressive throttle). I have test ridden the SF150 and found the seating posture to be the right amount of sporty though it felt a little underpowered. The SF250 will have the same seats but with double the power. The CB350RS is also awesome and I have probably watched all YouTube videos on it. Please let me know your inputs on the basis of how the ownership experience might be over at least 5 years and how easily spares and services will be available. A comfortable pillion seat will be good to have but not something mandatory.

Thanks.
Old 30th November 2021, 17:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLxNcE View Post
After a lot of brainstorming, I have shortlisted 2 bikes: The Gixxer SF250 and the Honda CB350RS.
Do ride them both extensively, other than looks, the main difference would be weight, the CB is 20 kilos heavier, and if this does not bother you, would suggest go for the CB. It is fairly exclusive and has good highway mannerisms too. Maybe go for the h'ness if pillion is a concern too.
Grimlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 02:12   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I have shortlisted 2 bikes: The Gixxer SF250 and the Honda CB350RS.
Let me ask you a couple of questions, what kind of a rider are you? And what would be your ideal motorcycle?

I have had test rides of both the motorcycles that you have mentioned but that is for about 4-5 km. Sharing my impressions would be an embarrassment. However, let me share my thought process that might just help you clear your mind.

I prefer to have a naked motorcycle with a high-revving engine (think R15/MT15) and a not-clunky gearbox (again R15/MT15) and a light clutch that has good low-end torque (like the FZ25) with dual-channel ABS. I would prefer to have something that moves forward eagerly whenever I accelerate (no overdrive gears). A slipper clutch and ride-by-wire are good to have features. Availability of service centers is very important to me.

And my almost perfect motorcycle would be a hybrid of MT15 and FZ25 (the MT03. Maybe, someday Yamaha will listen to us!) or the RTR200 or Gixxer 250.

If you can try to answer these two questions, you might just clear your confusion.

About your shortlist, well, the Suzuki SF 250 is the topmost commuter motorcycle in the Suzuki India motorcycle portfolio. However, your ride will be probably serviced by SAs more familiar with Suzuki scooters. 250cc Suzukis sell in low numbers anyway and service and spare might be an issue in 5 years. This is just my speculation and long-term Suzuki owners will be able to shed more light on this.
Honda has a reliable engine and gearbox combination but I'm not sure about its fit and finish. In the Highness thread, the members are already complaining about issues (related to seat, rusting, etc.). Also, it has really weird gearing, please check it carefully.

Oh and finally, when you get the ride and plan for trips, hit me with a PM here. Would love to meet and travel with a fellow rider from my city.
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 23:17   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Let me ask you a couple of questions, what kind of a rider are you? And what would be your ideal motorcycle?

I have had test rides of both the motorcycles that you have mentioned but that is for about 4-5 km. Sharing my impressions would be an embarrassment. However, let me share my thought process that might just help you clear your mind.

I prefer to have a naked motorcycle with a high-revving engine (think R15/MT15) and a not-clunky gearbox (again R15/MT15) and a light clutch that has good low-end torque (like the FZ25) with dual-channel ABS. I would prefer to have something that moves forward eagerly whenever I accelerate (no overdrive gears). A slipper clutch and ride-by-wire are good to have features. Availability of service centers is very important to me.

And my almost perfect motorcycle would be a hybrid of MT15 and FZ25 (the MT03. Maybe, someday Yamaha will listen to us!) or the RTR200 or Gixxer 250.

If you can try to answer these two questions, you might just clear your confusion.

About your shortlist, well, the Suzuki SF 250 is the topmost commuter motorcycle in the Suzuki India motorcycle portfolio. However, your ride will be probably serviced by SAs more familiar with Suzuki scooters. 250cc Suzukis sell in low numbers anyway and service and spare might be an issue in 5 years. This is just my speculation and long-term Suzuki owners will be able to shed more light on this.
Honda has a reliable engine and gearbox combination but I'm not sure about its fit and finish. In the Highness thread, the members are already complaining about issues (related to seat, rusting, etc.). Also, it has really weird gearing, please check it carefully.

Oh and finally, when you get the ride and plan for trips, hit me with a PM here. Would love to meet and travel with a fellow rider from my city.
Thanks for such a detailed explanation. It felt as if I was just seeing into my mind a little more clearly. Yes, this is exactly what I want. I had test ridden the FZ25 and thoroughly loved it. The thing is my friend is very much inclined on getting this bike very soon and we might coordinate for long rides too later on. So I would prefer to have a different bike than his solely for exclusivity. Hehe. The service issue concern of the SF250 worries me. I had gone for a TD at a nearby Suzuki Showroom and test rode the SF150. The showroom people told me they sometimes convince people to go for the 150 instead of the 250 just because of the parts availability thing. Major red flag. But I love the matt black version of it.
The CB350RS is what I thought would be a balanced decision. A best of both worlds bike. Its also a Big wing exclusive (so not sure of services) and I have heard about the rust and tall gearing issues as you mentioned. I had also considered the R15M because it's in the same price bracket. But I guess its just too committed. MT15 looks too small and not a big fan of it.

Currently I am also looking at a single owner used Apache RTR 180 ABS 2014 model with around 24k on the odo at around 40k price. Not ridden it yet. Is it a good deal? Else I would just wait a little more for a few more options to open up in the market. Like the RE Hunter for instance. Or maybe a next gen FZ25 (please Yamaha).
Old 2nd December 2021, 09:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently I am also looking at a single owner used Apache RTR 180 ABS 2014 model with around 24k on the odo at around 40k price. Not ridden it yet. Is it a good deal? Else I would just wait a little more for a few more options to open up in the market. Like the RE Hunter for instance. Or maybe a next gen FZ25 (please Yamaha).
The 180 is made for short riders sit on it and see if the frame suits you or if you need something more roomy. If you really like the FZ25, any reason not to consider the Apache200? TVS provides great service support and is a pretty proactive company when compared to others operating in India.

Another bike you could consider if you want to walk down the used path, is the Inazuma 250 it will be smooth as butter and serve you for many years to come.
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:58   #84
BHPian

Every Apache is uncomfortable for taller riders. I would suggest the 200 NS over the TVS, though I disliked the position myself, personally.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:03   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Hi. Am buying a new bike for my son who has just learned motorcycle driving a few months back on a 160 cc Apache.

He is 5 feet 8 and a half.

Am thinking ( nearly finalized ) of the Husqvarna Svartpilen, the main pro being dual channel ABS against the Yamaha MT 15s single channel ABS. The KTM Dukes are out of consideration due to their forward committed driving posture

My son has driven both the bikes, is happy with both but I prefer the Husqy for reasons mentioned above. He is not at all a rash driver.

Would love to hear from forum members regarding the above.
Yes the Japanese bike is more reliable, has better Build Quality etc but at the end of the day motorcycles are "heart over mind" machines.

So I'd say let him choose whichever he thinks feels better to him.

Most Viewed