Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2019, 20:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fitness certificate renewal of 15 year old Activa - Straightforward approach with Vahan 4

Starting with a BIG THANKS & DEDICATION to @SriramEFunds without sharing his RTO experience, we would've suffered a lot

So here goes our experience in FC process of our 15 year old Activa

Background
Bought : 2005 Jan
FC Renewal Date : 2020 Jan

After much dilly-dallying on whether to buy a new scooter or e-scooter finally we decided to restore our Activa because. More experience shared here (2005 Honda Activa - Refurbish or sell? Another tale of head vs heart conflict)
1. We couldn't find a worthy upgrade (we wanted Fi, disc, 12+ inch tires, min 150cc delivering atleast 15+ Bhp)
2. e-Scooters, Ather was closest, but waaaayyy too expensive & they're not really economical to run compared to today's petrol scooters either
3. Most importantly, our Activa had only run 38K in last 15 years. Except the appearance everything else was fabulous

Restoration
We know a technician from JSP Honda from 2001, who started his own garage in recent times. So finding the right guy for the job was not difficult. Left the scooter to him last month, in 3 weeks, complete painting was completed, along with changing the switches, entire headlight assy restored, glass on meter console, some clutch work, new Michelin tires estimated to 18K

Challenges
1. Our scooter was not appearing in Vahan portal
2. Vehicle was registered at Redhills RTO, but it's way far off & we wanted to get everything done at Ambattur RTO
3. Had to get everything done in next 2 weeks before the vehicle's tax expires
4. PUC cannot be done as vehicle wasn't appearing in portal & without PUC no documentation moves

Vahan Registration
1. Visited Redhills RTO with original RC & fortunately insurance expires only by 8-Jan, so it was still in force
2. Can't believe!! Entire Vahan registration work was done in less than 30 minutes. The superintendent was warm & friendly. Absolutely breeze of time spent at RTO
3. Like my friend said, I was supposed to check the portal once they entered the data, unfortunately, I was so happy with the timelines taken, so that, I forgot. This cause 2 mistakes...
a. Spelling mistake in address line 1
b. Manufacturer mentioned as Hero Motors from existing Honda Motorcycles & Scooters as in RC
4. They asked me to get PUC & pay the fees online so that they can close the FC process in a day. But we didn't want to associate our vehicle to farthest RTO & hence we thanked for their services & moved on

FC Process
Actual process is simple...
a. Pay Green Tax Rs 500
b. Pay FC fee Rs 550
c. Show the vehicle to inspector
d. Submit the documents (2 copies of FC payment receipt, PUC & Insurance papers)

But in my case, I didn't want to go to Redhills RTO, so the below process was being followed
1. Online payment of Rs 500 towards Green tax
2. Applied for change of address (the spelling mistake in address line 1 helped here) so that the vehicle can be now associated to Ambattur RTO. This costed Rs 150 more
3. Once this was done, appeared at fee counter, who logged into the system & approved the change which generated an username & password which appeared on my mobile + he took a snapshot of it
4. I logged into Vahan portal -> Online Payment to pay the Rs 700 (Rs 550 + 150)
5. Went to browsing center to take a printout of the receipt along with photocopies of PUC, FC receipt & insurance papers
6. Took the vehicle to inspector for verification (this was located 1 Km away)
7. Once the inspector (another big surprise, polite, calm, patience, accommodating & helpful) verified (someone at the ground read out the chassis number probably because of lady inspector)
8. Once she signed, we took the papers to RTO office fee counter & submitted both copies (one challenge we faced was the number plate that we had was incorrect format. Right format is state code + RTO code on top & rest all characters to appear at second line, we had exactly the opposite from Orbiz. She patiently asked us to change the number plate & come to office directly. Best part she didn't verify further, just asked if we've taken the photo to show her & didn't insist though. But we took the picture & showed the changed number plate to her once the work was all done)
9. We're asked to come after a week (the person at fee counter himself rearranged the papers, no fuss, no tantrums or complaints)

Once again BIG THANKS to SriramEFunds without him, we would've spent a hefty money to driving school (it's Rs 3500 now)

Additional Titbits
  • Many thanks to technology & good governance
  • Also the attitude of RTO officials across all levels have changed drastically. Patience, helpful & calmness are some of unbelievable attitude observed.
  • They all look constipated (i think they were looking helpless because they could not make money through bribe). This was our observation at both RTOs
  • All the more, no making us run from pillar to post. Vahan data entry was done in less than 25 min, a job that hardly takes 20 min. Yet they proved they were still incompetent coverment people as they made spelling mistakes due to carelessness (The original RC had right spelling & makers name; atleast spelling mistake is carelessness, how come they change Honda Motorcycles & Scooters India to Hero Honda Motors?)
  • We got entire work of FC done in 2-3 hours despite several mistakes & all of them guided us politely. Inspector was the politest of all (quite contrary to how they used to behave during 90s). Sure India is changing
  • Absolutely no cash transaction & nothing in RTO & every stage had to do with RTO portal, so these jokers cannot even understand forget alone their interference to stop the work
  • But yes, people who are not tech savvy will suffer. The nearby internet service shops will benefit due to this for sometime

Vahan Portal - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml

Last edited by Sheel : 27th December 2019 at 09:47. Reason: As requested.
aargee is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 10:05   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fitness certificate renewal of 15 year old Activa - Straightforward approach with Vahan 4

I have to agree that there is definite progress in the way that some govt departments are functioning. Have been pleasantly surprised at times. Even my Jeep's fitness certificate renewal was a fairly straightforward & smooth process (although I did use an agent too).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 11:08   #3
BHPian

Re: Fitness certificate renewal of 15 year old Activa - Straightforward approach with Vahan 4

I took delivery of my Jawa last this month, and I opted to get my desired number.
The process got over in flat 15 minutes. I selected a number, the inspector checked a ledger he had and confirmed the availability. Then asked me to pay a fee of Rs. 2000 to the counter and bring the receipt, once this was done he endorsed the number and asked me to hand over the papers to the dealer.

The problem is most people do not have proper knowledge of the required documents and they do not have the flexibility to visit the RTO during the office hours. This helps the driving schools and agents to make a fortune
.HEM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 18:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
I took delivery of my Jawa last this month, and I opted to get my desired number.
The process got over in flat 15 minutes. I selected a number, the inspector checked a ledger he had and confirmed the availability. Then asked me to pay a fee of Rs. 2000 to the counter and bring the receipt, once this was done he endorsed the number and asked me to hand over the papers to the dealer.
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for my experience with the KK Nagar RTO (TN 09). Back in 2014 when I wanted to get the number of my choice for my Yamaha FZ, I wanted to check which of the three numbers that I had on my mind, were available.

My first and second choice of number were not available and right when I was about to ask him for the availability of my third number choice, the inspector scorned at me while at the same time using language that was inappropriate - just because I was asking for numbers that were already taken. I could not understand how I was supposed to know which numbers were / were not available without the information being a available publicly on a website / anywhere else in the RTO office. It seems quite foolish to have all that information stored in a ledger.

Fast forward to 2018 when I wanted to purchase a number for my Jeep Compass - the same fiasco happened all over again. I hope that by the next time I purchase a vehicle, these guys implement a portal wherein we can purchase our number online (I presume some states in India already have this facility).
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 08:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
I could not understand how I was supposed to know which numbers were / were not available without the information being a available publicly on a website / anywhere else in the RTO office. It seems quite foolish to have all that information stored in a ledger.
It has been there for TN RTO at least from 2013, which is when I first used it - you can only check the running series though

https://tnsta.gov.in/transport/rtoSt...tActUpdated.do

Keep a watch on the opening number, you can apply for a number within 1000 numbers.

Also check these - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/fancy...lNumbers.xhtml

https://tnsta.gov.in/vehicle_reg_number1.jsp

You still need the RTO for making the purchase though.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 13th January 2020 at 08:10.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
You still need the RTO for making the purchase though.
I am aware of the URL to view the starting series for that particular day. But my gripe is with the selected number being available / not available on that day. There needs to be more transparency in this process and I think using a ledger to keep track of numbers that have already been registered is as rudimentary as things can get.

I don’t want to hijack OP’s thread anymore with my rant. Glad to see that at least some functionalities of the RTO are improving.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fast forward to 2018 when I wanted to purchase a number for my Jeep Compass - the same fiasco happened all over again. I hope that by the next time I purchase a vehicle, these guys implement a portal wherein we can purchase our number online (I presume some states in India already have this facility).
Vaahan 4.0 is implemented from July or Aug 2019 onwards. So high chances that next time you're going straight forward unless you decide not to.

BTW, Redhills RTO is one of the worst in corruption. If we could get a work done there without bribe, high chances that it can be done anywhere else as well

Good luck & pls do share your experience
Old 17th February 2020, 19:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Starting with a BIG THANKS & DEDICATION to @SriramEFunds without sharing his RTO experience, we would've suffered a lot....
Glad that you were able to get the work done without much challenges.

Quote:
...Fast forward to 2018 when I wanted to purchase a number for my Jeep Compass - the same fiasco happened all over again. I hope that by the next time I purchase a vehicle, these guys implement a portal wherein we can purchase our number online (I presume some states in India already have this facility).
I can comment about Chennai city RTO - The number selection is very much possible as long it remained not so fancy ones. There are atleast 50+ car showrooms alone and not even considering two wheeler showrooms.

Each showroom has a RTO agent and they got a circle working together with RTO office on behalf of direct customers. Not always the promised number is allotted to the car owner, that's why they ask for few number options. I pressume that the circle working with RTO have some give and take between them.

As you aware there are 3 categories:-
1. Running number
2. Selecting own number by paying govt prescribed fee Rs.16,000/- (choose the number from starting number of that RTO to next 999 nos. i.e 5000-5999)
3. Buy the desired number or Govt. number (list is available in RTO website) from next series (Alphabet) by paying starting from Rs. 40,000/- to Rs. 1,00,000

Most of the time, these RTO agents with good relationship get number blocked(read not govt numbers) as requested by car owners. Benefit is they are in touch with RTO office daily basis and aware of running series etc.

Common man doing the registration on his own needs to first go to RTO find out the number availability and pay the fee (bike it is 2000, car it is 16,000) and proceed for new car inspection to RTO inspector along with other registration papers.
SriramEfunds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 11:14   #9
BHPian

I'm faced with a tricky situation where my 15year old Activa is due for FC renewal, but the chassis number has become invisible due to years of use and rusting of exposed parts of chassis.

Spoke to a RTO agent who says only option is to get chassis number punched by a local guy. I know that we are entering into illegal territory if we get a duplicate punch.

Not sure if there are any alternatives. Any suggestions?
Old 9th March 2022, 12:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishchan View Post
Not sure if there are any alternatives. Any suggestions?
Alternative #1 - There are ways in which the chassis number can be etched onto the paper & there're folks who can get this done as well, it's a question of time finding out the right guy for the job which any driving school folks will know.

Alternative #2 - Visit ASC, ask them to provide a new frame for which I'm sure they're going to take months, if not years. With the new frame, ASC will also suggest you to a nearest LEGAL garage where the chassis number can be punched using the copy of RC. Remember to keep a copy of the receipt from ASC on procuring the frame which serves as proof at RTO that the number was punched legally

Alternative #3 - Visit RTO & especially the inspector, show them the vehicle (I'm assuming it's KA registered) & the RC, tell your plight on rust & I'm sure the inspector will suggest you a way. I recently got my 30 year old Rx re-registered & the inspector was quite friendly here in TN & they were very cooperative on getting things done WITHOUT additional costs.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th March 2022 at 17:11. Reason: fixed Quote.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks