Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd January 2020, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Default Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500

Hi All,

I've a 2015 year Bullet 500 carb version with me. One day the bike failed to start and after diagnosis with a local mechanic, found that one of 15A fuse was blown. On further check I found that the 15A fuse holder that holds the fuse is half burnt. Although I changed the fuse and fitted back, the bike started fine.

One day on a ride, the bike suddenly died off. I suspected the fuse so I removed that fuse from the faulty fuse holder and swapped with a spare one. Voila! The bike started fine and I could manage to reach back home.

The bike today is running fine but I can't take risk as during night ride and bumpy roads, that fuse won't last and might burn off in midway hence not taking out for any long distance rides.

I showed it to the RE authorised dealer - Ram Motors, Nerul who confirmed that this model, you don't get just the Fuse box to replace, I would need to replace the whole wiring harness along with new fuse holder. Its a one piece, and that would cost me around 3k!

He suggested either I replace the whole wiring or get a old fuse box from someone and cut and join the existing wiring. I'm not sure about this cut & join method for its longevity. I'm confused what to do - replace whole wiring or find a used fuse box and do the cut & join method?

I have attached the fuse box of my Bullet 500 for reference. Unfortunately I didn't take the pic of the half burnt fuse holder.

Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500-img_20191221_123852_1.jpg  

Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500-img_20191221_123900_1.jpg  

Last edited by rudrah : 3rd January 2020 at 12:01.
rudrah is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:49   #2
BHPian

Default re: Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500

I had a similar issue in my RE500. Apparently the fuse holder gets loose and hence it blows due to loose contact. He had removed the old fuse folder and did a little modification and added a new Generic fuse holder of Minda brand and it is working all fine now. This Minda fuse holder is the one used by truckers when they have to add accessories. Its a generic fuse holder and is available easily in spares shop. Total damages was ₹150 something around a year and a half back.
Ahmed is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1. A fuse box is merely a housing for female spade connectors in between which a fuse is present. Other than convenience it performs no other function. Unless the housing has burnt off completely there doesn't arise a need to replace as until it is compromised to the extent that it's shorting, you have no need to be concerned.

2. A fuse blows when there is a surge and it can by all means be the result of a short, the commonsensical thing to do would be to procure a test light and go about finding where the short is, cause unless you resolve it there'd be no use replacing the fusebox as the issue would resurface shortly in all likelihood.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2020 at 15:01. Reason: Editing out point #3. Thanks!
ashwinprakas is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:31   #4
BHPian

Even I faced a similar issue last month in my 7 YO TBTS 350. I faced around 10 fuse blows within 15 days but fortunately the connector was not burnt/half burnt. I would advice you to get to the root cause why the box burnt in the first place.

In my case, the plastic of wires near FR shock absorber became brittle with time and copper wire got exposed. Whenever the wiring touched the metal, the fuse was blown. Had to approach ASC twice to get the issue resolved.

I suggest you to take the bike to a good auto electrician and trace the current leaks/ short circuit. Once that leak is fixed, try that OEM fuse box fix suggested in earlier post to get it done economically.

Happy Thumping!!

Last edited by Ry_der : 3rd January 2020 at 14:32.
Ry_der is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:53   #5
KPR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
one of 15A fuse was blown
I don't have any advise. But you should take pinch or pride in this: You own one of the original/agmark/ISI certified Royal Enfield bullet ! If there's no electrical fault then it ain't a real RE.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I don't have any advise. But you should take pinch or pride in this: You own one of the original/agmark/ISI certified Royal Enfield bullet ! If there's no electrical fault then it ain't a real RE.
Man, that was mindful sarcasm shot

It "was" a pride owning a RE but not anymore and when you get stranded in middle of road, that pride goes for a toss in no time. But once you are back on road and cruising at 80km/hr, you kiss that pride back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
1. A fuse box is merely a housing for female spade connectors in between which a fuse is present. Other than convenience it performs no other function. Unless the housing has burnt off completely there doesn't arise a need to replace as until it is compromised to the extent that it's shorting, you have no need to be concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
Even I faced a similar issue last month in my 7 YO TBTS 350. I faced around 10 fuse blows within 15 days but fortunately the connector was not burnt/half burnt. I would advice you to get to the root cause why the box burnt in the first place.
Good points you shared, A.P. & Ry_der

Currently only one fuse holder out of 3 is partially burnt but its working as of now (God know's how and how long). Like I said before I swapped the fuse and bike is running fine. But my local mechanic says during night rides it may not hold up for long due to extra power required for lights. Surprisingly he din't mentioned about verifying the cause of the burn but replacing the fuse box.

So in anycase, finding the root cause is a need but eventually I would also need to replace the whole wiring harness that comes along with the fuse box, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I had a similar issue in my RE500. Apparently the fuse holder gets loose and hence it blows due to loose contact. He had removed the old fuse folder and did a little modification and added a new Generic fuse holder of Minda brand and it is working all fine now. This Minda fuse holder is the one used by truckers when they have to add accessories. Its a generic fuse holder and is available easily in spares shop. Total damages was ₹150 something around a year and a half back.
This is interesting to know, can you please share the picture of the part and how it exactly looks after fit?

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2020 at 19:25. Reason: back to back posts merged
rudrah is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
So in any case, finding the root cause is a need but eventually
Finding the root cause is a need. There seems to be some shorting in the wiring and it could well be the fuse box itself. I doubt on the fuse box, since, you said the fuse box is burnt. Check if there is circuit when you shake the wires?

Quote:
replace the whole wiring harness that comes along with the fuse box, correct?
This is for the peace of mind.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting to know, can you please share the picture of the part and how it exactly looks after fit?

This is what it is and it is available on Amazon. Nothing much, this was my mechanic's idea and I did not find any issue in the installation. It has ben working well ever since. https://www.amazon.in/UNO-MINDA-MI-0...%2C276&sr=8-43
Attached Thumbnails
Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500-518daiszxnl._sl1009_.jpg  

Ahmed is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
This is what it is and it is available on Amazon. Nothing much, this was my mechanic's idea and I did not find any issue in the installation. It has ben working well ever since. https://www.amazon.in/UNO-MINDA-MI-0...%2C276&sr=8-43
Thanks for the part pic, Ahmed. Does this also host the bike's fuses? Also I still cannot picturise how exactly you got this fitted and how it currently looks in your bike. Can you possibly show the part fitted on your bike and probably how the fitting was done?
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the part pic, Ahmed. Does this also host the bike's fuses? Also I still cannot picturise how exactly you got this fitted and how it currently looks in your bike. Can you possibly show the part fitted on your bike and probably how the fitting was done?

You are welcome mate. Bike is with my brother in law as of now. I can upload the pics once the bike is back. As far as I remember, there are only 2 fuses used in it. One is a 15A and the other is a 10A. other ports are not connected by any wire and there are no fuses in it. I want to add LED fog lamps and a new circuit for the horns as they are acting funny. Its probably the wiring that has aged.
Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2020, 17:24   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500

Guys an update to this issue,

Since it was weekend, I thought lets give a try to get it checked through the Authorized Service Center - Ram Motors and see whether some fix can be done or complete Wiring harness replacement is the only way.

The Service Advisor Mr. Nilesh along with a senior electrician engineer took a thorough look into it as mentioned that the clip inside the 15A fuse holder was partially burnt. They will have to check the whole wiring harness to see if something is causing a leak in the power or short circuit. If so, then they will rectify it and fix it. Else last solution was to replace the whole wiring harness which even they were not convinced and found inappropriate to do. I said fine you can keep the bike to check.

Evening I got a call that the bike is ready and to my surprise the wiring harness didn't needed to be changed

The engineer showed me that they managed to remove the damaged clip inside the 15A fuse holder and replace with another one they had in spare. Also they checked for any cuts in the wiring but found none. However while verifying that they found that the Air Filter hose pipe had a large cut. Thankfully it was observed indirectly and hence replaced it.

I'm told to check the bike for another 10 days and see if any issue is observed. When I asked what could had burnt the fuse holder clip, the advisor with halfheartedly said that could be due to lot of button start usage while trying to start the bike which could had put an additional load on the battery and in turn buring the fuse. I didn't felt it convincing as my ride is only on weekends and I always make sure I use kickstart to start the bike for first time.

I've attached the pics where you can see the fuse holder clip that was replaced. Very happy with the service provided by Ram Motors at Nerul. The service advisor Mr. Nilesh is good and receptive to our queries.

P.S. Next day I did a 24km ride with head lights up on a sunny afternoon to test the load and looks good
Attached Thumbnails
Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500-img_20200105_123107_1.png  

Half-burnt fuse holder in my Bullet 500-img_20200105_123120_1.jpg  

Old 6th January 2020, 18:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

As mentioned by other members, you do need to find the root cause of the problem. The fuse is supposed to pop long before the holder melts.

Although not mentioned very often, but fuses do not always pop as they should. A few years ago an auto magazine did some test and the results were pretty appalling. Lots of fuses did not pop until 2-4 times their official rating. Cheap fuses were a lot worse than more expensive ones.

I had this happen to me once as well. Mine was also a 15 Amp fuse Though different design. It melted part of the holder and the actual fuse melted as well, but never popped! 15 Amps is a considerable amount of current in a car and most electrical conductors/wiring in your car wont last very long. So it is imperative the fuse pops at 15 Amps.

I would thoroughly check out the electrics and no matter what get the best fuses money can buy! In absolute term there is not a huge difference, but better safe than sorry.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2020, 11:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As mentioned by other members, you do need to find the root cause of the problem. The fuse is supposed to pop long before the holder melts.

Although not mentioned very often, but fuses do not always pop as they should. A few years ago an auto magazine did some test and the results were pretty appalling. Lots of fuses did not pop until 2-4 times their official rating. Cheap fuses were a lot worse than more expensive ones.

I had this happen to me once as well. Mine was also a 15 Amp fuse Though different design. It melted part of the holder and the actual fuse melted as well, but never popped! 15 Amps is a considerable amount of current in a car and most electrical conductors/wiring in your car wont last very long. So it is imperative the fuse pops at 15 Amps.

I would thoroughly check out the electrics and no matter what get the best fuses money can buy! In absolute term there is not a huge difference, but better safe than sorry.

Good luck

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

You are very much correct. I recall now that long back (more than 6 months), the original 15A fuse was blown and bike wasn't starting and i got a local fuse to replace it when I showed it to a local mechanic. I also recall that time the mechanic did told me about the partial burn in the fuse holder and said I can drive now but suggested to get it changed which I later completely forgotten about it. Sorry my bad I missed to mention this. The local fuse worked fine lateron so I think I ignored it completely until I faced a breakdown recently.

This time I've changed to the original 15A fuse from company. The quality of the local fuse is way cheap than the original Company one. Have decided never to use local fuses.

In regards to the root cause of the issue, as I said the service guys who looks into electricals said they did a complete check and found no issues apart from cut in Air filter hose pipe. I've no option but to trust them and keep an eye on the issue for sometime.

Anyone on Navi Mumbai or Vashi area knows a good auto electrician who can check the bullet wiring, please let me know. I can take a second opinion.
Old 11th January 2020, 18:03   #14
Tgo
BHPian

I suspect the crimping of the clips is the culprit here. Even though the fuse clicks in well, the wires connected to the female spade holder might not be crimped correctly leading to a loose contact which might have heated up due to excessive sparking, meting the fuse box and the fuse itself.

Hope they crimped the wires correctly now.

You can check by keeping the bike running and tugging gently on the 4 wires entering the fuse box from the rear. If there is a loose connection you'll know immediately.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2020, 18:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:

When I asked what could had burnt the fuse holder clip, the advisor with halfheartedly said that could be due to lot of button start usage while trying to start the bike which could had put an additional load on the battery and in turn buring the fuse. I didn't felt it convincing as my ride is only on weekends and I always make sure I use kickstart to start the bike for first time.
I'll suggest you to get it checked again or to atleast keep a handful of 15A fuses with you all the time.

No amount of load on stock accessories can burn the fuse or fuse box unless there is a short circuit as the fuses are rated well above the highest load required. Take a close look at the right side wiring near FR shock absorber. Due to constant handlebar movement, this wiring is more prone to damage.

Its never bad to take a second opinion though.

Happy Thumping!!

Last edited by Ry_der : 11th January 2020 at 18:56.
Ry_der is offline   Reply With Quote