Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2020, 22:44   #76
BHPian

Re: Scooter with the best ride quality / suspension?

My wife and I took a test ride of both the Jupiter and the Fascino today.

Jupiter BS6:
The Jupiter is a pretty conventional design and nothing to write about aesthetically. Simple design. The Jupiter has a very plush ride quality, something which can be compared to the magic carpet ride of the Duster, if I may compare. Undulations, speed breakers and bumps are not at all a problem in the Jupiter. The pickup and power felt adequate for our city roads. The only complaint is that the BS6 Jupiter does not have a disc brake variant. The ZX and Classic variants do not come with a front disc anymore and there are no stocks of BS4 version anywhere in Bangalore. So variant wise I feel the basic variant will be sufficient since my wife is not really interested in the USB charger or the digital meter. We would have gone for the ZX or classic only for the disc brake. The basic variant is 83K on road and accessories are worth 5600.

Fascino 125 BS6:
The Fascino with the retro look is a very pleasing sight to the eyes particular in the Matt copper shade. The engine is super silent at idle and refined. The ride quality is not as plush as the Jupiter. The top variant does come with the disc brake though and braking is good with the UBS in the Fascino. The pickup and power is better than the Jupiter as well since this is a 125 cc engine. My wife loved the Fascino for the refinement though her only complaint was when she places her legs far back up at an angle there is some space constraint as well as the floorboard slopes upwards. The disc brake variant of the Fascino costs 91K and 5,000 additional for accessories.

We even saw the Ray ZR and the Ray ZR Rally version. They have the same engine, suspension and other components of the Fascino but in a different Avatar. The Ray ZR Rally version even has hand guards and looks cool. But wife was keen on the Fascino compared to the other two.

Now we are really in a dilemma as to which one to settle for. It is basically between the lack of a disc brake variant in the Jupiter and the ride quality on Fascino which I can say will be 80 percent of the Jupiter's ride quality if I can quantify it that way. Plus the Fascino is a good 8K over the Jupiter.

Can folks who own the Jupiter with drum brakes at front post your experiences on the braking of drum brakes with SBS. Are they good on wet roads?

Last edited by whencut86 : 25th May 2020 at 22:49. Reason: punctuation missing
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 17:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshift99 View Post
hey there, i own the bs4 access and my tires run 22:32 Now on the ride quality
I finally bought the Activa 125 after riding the Ntorq and Access 125. Bought a two wheeler after around 25 years. It’s purely for usage around my place more than anything else.

The company recommended air pressure is 22/36 front and rear respectively with a pillion but I find 22/32 as the most comfortable in the ride quality department with no obvious negatives that I can notice. 36 on the rear seems to make the scooter a bit bouncy, 32 seems perfect.

Slick and people with experience, is it ok to run the scooter at 22/32 with no negative kickback as such. Slick you are running the same pressures in the Access 125 so Activa 125 shouldn’t be a problem I guess, but would appreciate clarity.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I finally bought the Activa 125 after riding the Ntorq and Access 125.
Congratulations Cyborg on your new scooter, yes you can ride with 22:32 with no problem whatsoever as long as the scooter has tubeless tyres and since all scooters nowadays have tubeless tyres its not a problem to ride with a litt less tyre pressure for greater comfort. I would however suggest you not to decrease the air pressure on the front wheel because that hinders handling and drivability.
Cheers
Slickshift99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Jupiter seems to be the hot favorite among majority.
NTorq has got mixed reviews, something I did not expect since it was almost similar to Jupiter.
Access 125 surprisingly is not as good as I thought it to be, going by the reviews here.
Hardly anyone bothered to recommend hero brand.
Honda Aviator is a contender as per few.
Not sure if its still useful but I will chime in with my experience since I was in a similar situation in late 2017 trying to replace our Activa(1st gen) and especially the horrible suspension(it was literally a shocker).

I test rode the Jupiter, Activa 125, Access125(Maestro was on cards but couldn't get a TD when I went).

Activa 125 : though telescopic but the ride was harsher than expected
Jupiter : was quite soft but the front was too soft for my liking
Access 125 : seemed nice and comfortable so bought it

After 12000kms, the rear suspension is quite comfortable for solo and pillion, hasn't bottomed out in places where the Activa did. Front is good as well, not as comfortable as the Jupiter but not bad.
Ownership is okay apart from engine and A.S.S. issues(seems like its just my unit and dealer).

Coming to your points :
- Ntorq : haven't ridden it but its on the sportier side so the ride will be harsher than Jupiter, also unnecessarily expensive since what it offers isn't what you want
- Jupiter : best for the comfort, already mentioned by others
- Aviator/Grazia : not listed on the Honda website anymore so won't recommend, plus not as comfortable as Jupiter
- Access 125 : BS4 is good on comfort, TD needed for BS6
- Hero Maestro Edge : is an option but no experience with it, TD needed
- Vespa/Aprilia : don't think they are intended for comfort, TD needed

Based on comfort these seem like the options :
1. Jupiter
2. Access
3. Activa 125/Activa 6G

If I had to buy in Dec 2020, I would gladly buy the Jupiter over Access because :
1. That extra comfort of the Jupiter matters in city(big plus are the adjustable shocks like you mentioned, also the rear 12inch wheels)
2. Bad after-sales experience with Suzuki but this is just me

Hope its still useful, good luck
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 15:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Based on comfort these seem like the options :
1. Jupiter
2. Access
3. Activa 125/Activa 6G

If I had to buy in Dec 2020, I would gladly buy the Jupiter over Access
I'm planning to get a scooter for my sister in a month or so. It will be mostly for a solo ride to her college about 12km one way, medium traffic. Decent suspension with acceptable pickup is fine. No need for the best pickup or top speed. Weight isn't a concern per se.

I've heard great things about Jupiter and Access. But at the same time, have heard of several part failures and issues, mainly the roller clutch probelms. Several of my friends have advised to avoid Jupiter for that reason.

While everyone I know suggests Access 125, I found a lot of complaints about the Suzuki ASS and inexplicably niggles plaguing the scooter after a few months - starting problems mainly.

Activa remains the standard suggestion. But without the discs, and quaint suspension, is it worth considering? Of course reliability is way better than the alternatives.

Ntorq not considered because that much power is not needed and so the lower mileage isn't justifiable for our use.

I've personally ridden BS4 version of all 3 and was most impressed with Access.

Will get a TD for sister too. But want to rule out the models with too many issues.

Please share your thoughts.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 20:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
While everyone I know suggests Access 125, I found a lot of complaints about the Suzuki ASS and inexplicably niggles plaguing the scooter after a few months - starting problems mainly.
No starting problems on mine. Always starts in one kick but I mostly use the starter. It has the one touch start but it cranks longer than expected. Normally I just press the starter and use slight throttle and it starts instantly(old habit from the Activa).
As for A.S.S. my experience has been bad. But has more to do with the dealer so your experience could be different. And if you live in a big city you will have multiple dealers/workshops to go to if one isn't working out.

Quote:
Activa remains the standard suggestion. But without the discs, and quaint suspension, is it worth considering? Of course reliability is way better than the alternatives.
I wouldn't consider it as the riding comfort on others is much better. Assuming your ride is 30-40 mins one way, comfort is important.
For the brakes, I would say the the drums are apt but the disc is better, not a deal breaker though. Access's drums are very good.

Quote:
Agree, I share the feeling and that's why I bought it
Handles well at all speeds, brakes(drums) are good, riding position is great. FE I get is about 40-42, you should get better.

Quote:
Will get a TD for sister too. But want to rule out the models with too many issues.
I don't think any of them has too many or no issues. As in my case I just got unlucky made worse by the A.S.S. experience but that's more of an exception rather than the norm.
What I would suggest is to have your sister TD the Jupiter and Access, over normal, broken and potholed roads if possible, and then buy the one she's most comfortable with. You can't go wrong with either.

Do update and good luck

Last edited by shancz : 13th December 2020 at 20:49. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 23:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are considering the 125cc’s also, do try the Activa 125 disc/alloy variant. The suspension is superb on bad roads.

I bought the Activa 125 disc/alloy variant in November 2020 and feel it’s a very practical, comfortable choice between the Access 125 and Ntorq. Ride quality in the Ntorq is the harshest amongst the three, Access comes in second best.

Access 125 - 104 kgs
Activa 125 - 111 kgs
Ntorq - not sure, but it’s heavier than both around 118 kgs.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 13th December 2020 at 23:08.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 05:28   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I bought the Activa 125 disc/alloy variant in November 2020 and feel it’s a very practical, comfortable choice between the Access 125 and Ntorq. Ride quality in the Ntorq is the harshest amongst the three, Access comes in second best.
Thank for the info.
I had felt the damping was similar to the older Activa's unit except in braking but didn't get a chance to take it over bad roads during the TD.
Since you own it you have a better perspective.
Do you know if the Activa 6G used the same suspension as the Activa 125? if they do then Activa 6G makes a good proposition too at 5-6k cheaper price tag than the Activa 125.

Quote:
Will get a TD for sister too.
I think after Cyborg's inputs a TD for both the Activa and Activa 125 should be on the cards.
Old 14th December 2020, 07:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Thank for the info.
Do you know if the Activa 6G used the same suspension as the Activa 125? if they do then Activa 6G makes a good proposition too at 5-6k cheaper price tag than the Activa 125.
Yes, the 6g gets the same suspension as that of the 125 but the later has slightly wider seat plus has disc brakes and alloy wheels as option which the former lacks in. If you want a simple no frill ,no nonsense Scooter, 6g is a better option. If you want a bit more power with little more features (Digital display with DTE indicator, side stand engine cut off feature etc) the 125 is a good option.
PS- I myself am planning to buy the Activa 125.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 08:42   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I've heard great things about Jupiter and Access. But at the same time, have heard of several part failures and issues, mainly the roller clutch probelms. Several of my friends have advised to avoid Jupiter for that reason.
Let me share my 5.5 years 11.5k km on my TVS Jupiter experience.
I'm 60 and healthy (very), the ride on the Jupiter is makkhan, with 12" stylish Alloy wheels at both ends.
I get it serviced at my FNG once a year, only oil change, costs me a meager 500.

The things consumed by my Jupiter in this 5.5 years.
1. One battery 1000/-
2. One rear tyre 1000/-
3. One speedometer cable.

I wonder what parts failure your friends had? My clutch cover has been opened only once for cleaning with petrol, that's it.

Hope this helps.
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:29   #86
KPR
BANNED

Quote:

If Suzuki then try out Burgman for the cruiser comfort. If she's going to drive a lot in stop go traffic then I would suggest TVS Zest. It's lighter than others and is quite peppy too.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:14   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
If Suzuki then try out Burgman for the cruiser comfort. If she's going to drive a lot in stop go traffic then I would suggest TVS Zest. It's lighter than others and is quite peppy too.
Thanks for responding.
Will try out Zest.

Burgman looks good, but has a much larger footprint. Damages from parking will be much more and I've noticed vibrations and sounds from a friend's 1 year old Burgman. Also, I prefer articulating headlight instead of stationary.

Can you throw some light on any major issues with Access? Any reason at all to not buy it?
Old 14th December 2020, 10:37   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
I wonder what parts failure your friends had? My clutch cover has been opened only once for cleaning with petrol, that's it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Sir.

My friend personally had a clutch issue- roller clutch plate I think (I'm not great at mechanical aspects, sorry). He said the wait time for replacement was over a week.

Apart from him, my regular FNG also asked me to avoid Jupiter and go for Ntorq.

Btw, good decision to use an FNG instead of TVS service centre. I ride an Apache RTR 160 and the first 3 years of service was a nuisance. Every service appointment required a follow up visit because they missed or messed up something. Tried 2 different service centres.

Super happy with the bike once I took it to my preferred FNG. Runs smoother and with no niggles. I like the TVS build quality and QC to a large extent. But the service centres are pathetic.
Old 14th December 2020, 10:39   #89
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for responding.
Will try out Zest. Can you throw some light on any major issues with Access? Any reason at all to not buy it?
Access is definitely a very good vehicle alongwith Jupiter and Activa. Just that I've not considered it when I was looking to buy one for my wife. For ladies (also for men) it will be nice if the weight is less as handling the bike will be easy. That's why suggested Zest. Imagine one has to take the parked bike and then take it in reverse before riding it. Less weight is peace of mind. This is my thinking about scooters that are used by both men and women in family. Also check out Yamaha's ZR 125. Looks sporty to me.

Last edited by KPR : 14th December 2020 at 10:40.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:11   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
For ladies (also for men) it will be nice if the weight is less as handling the bike will be easy. That's why suggested Zest. Imagine one has to take the parked bike and then take it in reverse before riding it. Less weight is peace of mind. This is my thinking about scooters that are used by both men and women in family. Also check out Yamaha's ZR 125. Looks sporty to me.
I did not find the Access to be significantly heavier than Ntorq, Activa 6G or Jupiter. But of course, Zest, Pleasure and Suzuki Flyte will be much lighter and super easy to get in and out of parking. ZR 125 looks good, no doubt. But the quality of the fiber panels at the front seem kinda flimsy. The new Fascino looks fantastic, especially for girls since it looks so elegant. But again, the fibre parts, and the elongated tail lamp seem to be at high risk in city traffic. Could be damaged very easily in our bumper to bumper traffic and also at parking places.

Will definitely get a TD of Access, Activa 6G, Pleasure and ZR 125.

Our house is in an area surrounded by 2 veritable hills with very steep gradient. I believe the Pleasure would struggle up the hill with a pillion rider. Else it would be the most ideal scooter for us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks