Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday

This year, Bajaj is celebrating the 18th anniversary of the Pulsar.

It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday-pulsar-turns-18-campaign.jpg

The Pulsar was launched in October 2001. Since its launch, more than 1.2 crore units have been sold in over 65 countries.

At present, the Pulsar is available in a variety of engine sizes ranging from 125cc to 220cc. The Pulsar line up includes the RS200, NS200, NS160, 220F, 150, 150 Twin Disc, 125 Neon, 150 Neon and 180F Neon variants.

According to the company, the Pulsar brand currently controls a 40% market share in the sports motorcycle segment in India.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday

"Its a boy" finally turns into a man now.

Proud owner (2006 - 2013) here, but its seriously disappointing to see the Pulsar getting dragged on like this, without any significant advancements.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...but its seriously disappointing to see the Pulsar getting dragged on like this, without any significant advancements.
Will agree!

I remember the Pulsar launch was imminent when I had just graduated from college. The college I went to was a bastion of all the legendary 2-strokes- RXs, Shoguns, RDs, RXZs, KBs, Shaolins, whatever (I had a Shogun). We loved those bikes and so were naturally suspicious about this new 4-stroke. We were most definitely biased against it from the start. (The CBZ had already been launched earlier and was doing the rounds.)

Came back to Bangalore from college and into my first job began to see the first Pulsars around. Got to ride a few and must say my 2-stroke bias prevented me from seeing what is really obvious to me today (though the 2-stroke die-hards will jump all over me for this ), that the Pulsar was certainly a league ahead (as was the CBZ). Making a lot of things that we take for granted today standard on Indian bikes like disc brakes and (ahem!) reliability (again, will get it from the 2-strokers, but that's the truth!)

But sadly, I doubt anyone really considers the Pulsar a generation-defining brand anymore.

I ended up buying one in 2008 (a P180) and I still use it as the daily commuter. It does the job great, but I certainly don't consider it a 'sporty' or exciting bike. Perhaps we've just come to expect a lot more from Indian bikes. I guess that's a good thing.

Last edited by am1m : 8th January 2020 at 15:32.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Pulsar can be credited for making performance 'mainstream'.
So, lets give the credit where it's due.

However, Even though it's selling in huge numbers & bringing in the numbers, Bajaj has been ignoring it, to the extent that it has become completely obsolete.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:42   #5
BHPian

Proud owner of a 180 DTS-i UG3 since 2008!

I agree, Bajaj has failed to do any significant updates in the design of this bike post 2007. The only updates that were worth were the redesigned headlight fairing in the first upgrade and then have the pointy LED tail lights added in 2007 for the UG3 model. Post that barring the introduction of NS and RS versions there has been no update on the design front for the base versions.

Yes, I belong to the group where a 125cc Pulsar is not a Pulsar. I felt it was some cheap exercise by Bajaj to get some sales numbers from lower priced segments. I will try and explain why.
In my opinion, Bajaj made the Pulsar brand 'Definitely Male'. To give the brand a feeling of power, which during the time of launch in 2001 was one of the powerful bikes available to the common man. 'Pulsar' was always going to be a powerful bike and anything below 150cc felt under-powered. I use the term 'under-powered' for a like for like comparison and not to offend any 125cc class motorcycle. It is the same feeling, a 125 cc Pulsar is not powerful enough to be called a 'Pulsar'.

Anyway, I don't want the Pulsar Birthday post to be an outright bashing of the product. I have been a happy and satisfied customer for 12 years. Have ridden the bike for almost 60k kms. The bike has never given me any major issues due to the sole reason me taking care of her by having her regularly serviced. More than enough power in that 178.3 cc mill churning out 16.5 BHP(got BHP? Yes, more than enough!). I still love the exhaust note of the Pulsar. It is so unmistakable. It is one of the sounds that differentiates this bike from all the others.

Here's me having fun on the Lavasa curves in 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday-pulsar_lavasa_2015.jpg  

aghate is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Proud owner (2006 - 2013) here, but its seriously disappointing to see the Pulsar getting dragged on like this, without any significant advancements.
Birth of the Pulsar coincided with me College days.. and having owned the P220 DTS-Fi (2007 Model), it will have a soft corner in my heart.

Bajaj could have done even more that what has been achieved by the Brand Pulsar. Brand Pulsar can be termed as an ICON according to me.

However there is a good Opportunity for Significant Change with the Impending BSVI implementation post 1st April 2020.

Hope / Wish for Significant Steps to take the Pulsar Brand forward.

Wonderful TVC to celebrate the Milestone:

Last edited by payeng : 8th January 2020 at 16:24.
payeng is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems so long ago, and now has had a 18 year run already. Had got a black 150cc in March 2003 but was able to use it for a very short time. Had I been biking more regularly, I may have got myself a 200 or a 220.
Old 8th January 2020, 16:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Time does fly i got mine home in Aug 2003, a silver colored round headlight bulky looking bike. My First. I did not even know how to ride a motorcycle properly, i just bought it and got it home from Indira nagar to Marathalli on 2nd gear somehow. Learnt riding on it, had some brilliant time with it, my then gf and now wife has been my pillion on it for long too. Cherished memories, missed dearly.

Happy Birthday!!!
Old 8th January 2020, 17:03   #9
BHPian

In my childhood, I was drooling over bike bought by neighbor : First Gen Pulsar 180 Silver . This bike changed biking scenario with CBZ and Karizma 220 with golden colored exhaust. Then Pulsar 220 FI was top of the line.
So many memories with this machine. Rode my "Black Pearl" Pulsar 180 UG4 from Jammu -> Leh -> Pangong -> Manali -> Chandigarh with 77k km on odometer without single issue.

It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday-lehed-pulsar-2.jpg

Still do chill rides with odometer halted on 99999km 3yrs back.

It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday-pulsar-odo.jpg

Last edited by Sunny_ST3 : 8th January 2020 at 17:14.
Sunny_ST3 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 18:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:

This TBH. I learnt riding on a Pulsar and we have been proud Pulsar owner for 2011-2016. I have rode the new bikes. Apart from the NS platform, the DTSi vehicles seem like unnecessary market additions with no innovations or whatsoever. The bikes are overweight and slower than more modern offerings in every segment.

And I'll jump on the bandwagon and say that the 125 is not a Pulsar. While I was initially willing to give it a chance but I'm fairly disappointed. They brought it to replace 135LS (far better machine than this) but it's a failure. It's nothing but a glorified street commuter with a heavy chassis and design. It's slower than the other 125's and isn't what the Pulsar brand stands for. Just an attempt to clear unnecessary inventory lying around just like the 180F.

They have a good opportunity on improving the platform with the BSVI. I wish that Bajaj actually puts some effort into this and starts making proper "Pulsars" which have an appeal like the Classic ones.

Last edited by Bismaya : 8th January 2020 at 18:14.
Bismaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 19:55   #11
BHPian

So much nostalgia in the thread

I believe every motorcycle enthusiast of current generation will have at least one "Pulsar memory".
I remember being in school and dad had just taught me riding a motorcycle when the Pulsar was launched. I was only allowed to ride within the township roads since I did not have a licence and he would not allow me on public roads.

Pulsar and CBZ brought the entire segment of affordable performance motorcycle to India. Pulsar 150/ 180 used to be all the rage back then. And when the Karizma came, spotting one used make my day, it was nothing less than a super bike.

I had the fortune of owning a Blue DTSi Pulsar 180 back in college, which I sold in 2012 for a Thunderbird 350. (Looks like a downgrade now in retrospect )

I only wish Bajaj had done proper justice to what the brand Pulsar stood for.
Most likely it would fade away in glory in the coming years. It is already diluted to the core, hope there would not be a Pulsar 100.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 23:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pulsar is a lovely bike and left us with a legacy in India.
Recently my Pulsar 150DTS-i completed 15 years and I am in the process of getting the green tax done.
I have the 1st generation of DTS-i twin spark plugs and mag wheels (Dec. 2014 model).

Here are some pictures after restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday-20200107_091500.jpg  

It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday-20200107_091430.jpg  

ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 06:43   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy Birthday!

Pulsar changed the fortunes of Bajaj. It was one of the most sought bikes among college mates. I got mine on 2nd July 2002, Pulsar 150. It was with me till 2008 till I left college. I always liked the original one with round headlamps. I feel somehow, the character was lost when it was launched with the cowl headlamps. Nevertheless, it sold in good numbers. Currently, with so many variants available, it appears to have lost that niche category.

It is the Bajaj Pulsar's 18th Birthday-dsc00232.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 07:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Was a proud owner of 150 UG4 Bajaj and man, did I and my brother abuse that bike like psychotics, but the bike never gave up on us. Did a lot to instill faith in Bajaj brand which up to that time meant sub-par quality products for us !

The NS series of Pulsars is definitely a step ahead, but nothing radical like the first generation.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 08:26   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My sweetest & fondest memory of the Pulsar will be from our beloved moderator, Rtech. Back in 2004, we'd met at Shivaji Park and he'd gotten his Pulsar 180 along. Black coloured, and typical Parsi-maintained (as if it rolled out of the showroom that morning). I had never even heard about the model and asked him what bike it is. He gave me a full Pulsar 101 that morning, including how it's a lot of bang for the buck.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks