Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 13:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Our experiences with fuel-injected motorcycles

Had faced a similar dilemma with my Royal Enfield UCE500 back in 2014.

The spark plugs kept fouling up constantly, hence switched to a "hybrid" setup after ditching the injectors (opted for a carb), fuel pump but retained the ECU and original wiring harness.

The Keihin ECU started giving trouble back in 2018, hence decided to get rid of the ECU and wiring harness altogether, as cheaper alternatives were available.

Briefly contemplated opting for Race Dynamics ECU, but decided against it.

Switched over to a CDI unit, ammeter and a wiring warness from a classic 350.
Never faced any trouble afterwards.
Old 16th January 2020, 13:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

P.S. If by chance water enters the fuel tank how do you FI guys drain it? On carburetted motorcycles we simply drain the float undoing the drain screw until all the waters out and fuel starts pouring out.

Having once drowned my motorcycle while crossing a stream I do wonder how the FI folk deal with such concerns.

Cheers,
A.P.
Option 1
Siphon off the entire fuel + water mix from the fuel tank to a container, decant the petrol off the top, pour it back into the tank.

If it's still too murky, go to option 2,

Option 2
Unmount the fuel tank from the bike, remove the fuel pump assembly, drain off the entire fuel + water mix through the gaping hole left by the fuel pump.
Pour in fresh fuel, after ensuring both the tank and fuel pump are thoroughly cleaned, and the fuel pump is installed back in place.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 16:40   #33
BHPian

I ride a Yamaha FZS FI since September 2016. It has been fuss free three years except one time when my starter motor went dead. (No where related to FI system). The bike has completed 22k kms with me.

I regularly clean my fuel injectors every 6000kms at Yamaha Service centers. They have a machine that cleans it. No manual process. This improves the throttle response tremendously after the service.

Sometimes I fill up the SPEED petrol as it has extra additives. I stay in city area, so fuel is generally good even for normal petrol.

Pros:
1. Starts in one go.
2. Crisp throttle response.

Cons:
1. Battery has become a little bit weak after 3.5 years. Needs replacement.

I will never go back to Carb engines in motorbikes.
rst89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 22:38   #34
BHPian

Owned two FI bikes but not long enough to comment on long term reliability. FI gives a crisp throttle response that an average carb'd bike cannot even come close to. Thus FI is a lot more fun to ride. Maybe in crawling bumper to bumper traffic a carb'd bike may be nicer to ride.
About a decade ago when FI was new people used to think whether or not to buy a fuel injected bike because of questions around reliability. I think we have gone past that as a deciding factor.
Old 16th January 2020, 23:44   #35
BHPian

Pulsar 150 DTSi was my first bike, and I didn't care if it had a carburator or FI that time. It did have the cold start issues and delayed throttle response, at least in winters. After using the bike for close to 4 years, I decided to replace it and got myself the newly launched R15, V2. FI bikes are more reliable and fun, at least for me. I have been riding the V2 for last 6 years and not once I have faced any starting issues or throttle irregularities. But as many of fellow bhpians have pointed out, be careful with the fuel quality. Prolonged use of bad fuel may damage the fuel pump, and they cost a bomb. But yes FI over carburator, any given day.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:08   #36
BHPian

FI bikes are always fun until something goes wrong with the injectors! Makes you want to kick yourself!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks