Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2020, 23:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Ruminations of an ageing wannabe Biker

Congratulations Ganapathy on acquiring a Dominar. You are certainly a man with an indomitable spirit. I am also from Chennai and am 63 years young. I scoot off on one day trips when my wife is away visiting her parents. Would be a pleasure to meet up and do a trip with you.
Best Wishes! Ride Safe!
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 23:49   #17
BHPian

Congratulations Ganapathy Sir for ticking one item off from your bucket list.

It's really a brave decision to buy a new bike to start touring at this age but again age is just a number isn't it. I've never ridden a Dominar but being 400CC it should be on the heavier side for city ride atleast. One thing I would like to tell you if you don't mind is that don't take a new machine for a long highway run. Give it some time to run in and then go for long drives when the engine is well oiled and more than 1.5k kms have been clocked. Going for a trip and yet riding under 60kmph all the time takes away the fun a little bit I guess.
Old 19th January 2020, 00:08   #18
BHPian

For some unknown reason, it always makes me happy to read about people living their dreams, and especially dreams involving motorcycles. Congrats Sir, on buying a great bike. Age, truly is just a number.

Wishing you lots and lots of miles on your bike and safe travels throughout. Cheers!
pavanmadhini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 09:46   #19
BHPian

I'm happy that you finally didn't let what you should do get in the way of what you want to do.

Please continue to follow your passion and regale us with stories of your adventures and the ruminations you have on those trips.
Old 19th January 2020, 20:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

A wonderful read and congratulations on the bike and your first ride.

Nothing beats a ride once in few months out on a highway to beat the daily grind and stress. Doesn't matter what the bike is.
Tamil Nadu has some brilliant roads and you should explore them slowly.

+1 to what AshwinPrakas mentioned about riding with a back pack on your back. You just need some bungee cords and you're good.

Last edited by tharian : 19th January 2020 at 20:28.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 22:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
For some unknown reason, it always makes me happy to read about people living their dreams, and especially dreams involving motorcycles. Congrats Sir, on buying a great bike. Age, truly is just a number.

Wishing you lots and lots of miles on your bike and safe travels throughout. Cheers!
Thank you pavanmadhini for your kind wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
I'm happy that you finally didn't let what you should do get in the way of what you want to do.

Please continue to follow your passion and regale us with stories of your adventures and the ruminations you have on those trips.
Thank you evil_grin for expressing it so eloquently. Will definitely follow up on my maiden trip and post the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Congratulations Ganapathy Sir for ticking one item off from your bucket list.

It's really a brave decision to buy a new bike to start touring at this age but again age is just a number isn't it. I've never ridden a Dominar but being 400CC it should be on the heavier side for city ride atleast. One thing I would like to tell you if you don't mind is that don't take a new machine for a long highway run. Give it some time to run in and then go for long drives when the engine is well oiled and more than 1.5k kms have been clocked. Going for a trip and yet riding under 60kmph all the time takes away the fun a little bit I guess.
Thank you carpainter for your kind words. The point raised by you is very valid and well taken. It was sheer hastiness on my part as I could not pile on the kms on the odometer by city driving despite my best efforts. It was indeed reckless Yes it did take away a lot of the fun, more so for my friend who was accompanying me. Guess wisdom does not come automatically with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
Thank you.

But do not get too inspired. It is a pain for us young ones (if you can call 40 young) we have to put him on the bike and kick it for him and then he goes at a warp speed of 20 KM and we following him on our cycles/scooty so that there are no mishaps. And there is his wife our loving Aunty who wants to ride pillion.
(Thank God she has the sense of not sitting on the Rajdoot.) So one of the Scooty guys have her riding pillion.

The whole thing is once a rider always a rider.
Thank you rulerofsun for the clarification. Point well taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Congratulations Ganapathy on acquiring a Dominar. You are certainly a man with an indomitable spirit. I am also from Chennai and am 63 years young. I scoot off on one day trips when my wife is away visiting her parents. Would be a pleasure to meet up and do a trip with you.
Best Wishes! Ride Safe!
Ashok
Thank you Ashok Sir for your kind words. It would indeed be a pleasure to meet you and drive with you
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
A wonderful read and congratulations on the bike and your first ride.

Nothing beats a ride once in few months out on a highway to beat the daily grind and stress. Doesn't matter what the bike is.
Tamil Nadu has some brilliant roads and you should explore them slowly.

+1 to what AshwinPrakas mentioned about riding with a back pack on your back. You just need some bungee cords and you're good.
Thank you tharian for your inspiring words and for reiterating AshwinPrakas message about the back pack fiasco. I will definitely invest in Bungee cords and ensure that the luggage is strapped down on my next trip. Thanks for your advice and guidance
Ganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 13:15   #22
BHPian

Mr Ganapathy, congrats on the new bike. Glad to hear you took the plunge to do something you like. Attending to family is one's duty and attending to self is his/her right. Balance is the key Keep a good balance and everyone will be happy.

Hope you frequently get to do the kind of rides that you like. For any reason it becomes difficult, don't worry. Owning a bike itself is a kind of stress buster and gives a way to keep you occupied. Lookup for smaller accessories for the bike, or riding gears for you. Make some time to keep the bike clean. Take it for shorter rides like meeting with friends over a coffee at a not so nearby place, going for a breakfast ride on a Sunday morning. You can even just admire the bike parked in your garage

Some suggestions - you already got some good advise not to wear backpacks. I notice both your and Vicha's backpack looks kind of heavy for a 2 day ride. Initially people tend to over-pack but soon learn to travel light. For a 2 day ride you should be able to pack everything in a small bag and tie it to the seat with bungee cords. Or use saddle bags and a tail box for longer rides.

Wish you good luck!
Old 20th January 2020, 16:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the bike and taking the plunge into the bike ride. You are a motivation with your passion for bikes.

I would recommend to get some riding gears and some riding specific luggage that can be fixed on the bike.

Hope to read more about your dominar ownership experience and bike rides.

All the best brother.
Old 21st January 2020, 15:39   #24

What an inspiration!!!.

You are only one year younger to my father and you are perfectly in shape and active as well.
Congratulations on your new ride. Wishing you many more happy miles on your green beast.

I want to be as passionate as you in my 60's.

Gracias,
Ankit
Old 21st January 2020, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post
Immediate family was not amused at my idea. The common line of argument was that guys pushing 58 sat at Home reading “The Hindu“ and watched Serials on TV. They did not go around buying bikes, leave alone 400cc bikes. Long Drive forget it, you need to get your head checked.
Hahahah !! Excellent post and I really loved this line in your post. I have to humbly admit I have heard the same from my better half and friends !!!!!
Great going and ride on. !! Cheers !!

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd January 2020 at 18:16. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Old 21st January 2020, 17:45   #26
BHPian

Congratulations and a Great Write-up Ganapathy!!

With almost double the age difference I really can not be in your shoes to comment but what I can tell you for sure, is that age is just a number.
I ride an Interceptor and we have a group for the twin owners, we have a lot of riders in the same age group as you or even in their 60s.
One of them has even done a solo golden quadrilateral ride on this new Interceptor. I also had the great fortune of spending a lot of time interacting with Dilip Bam sir, who used to be visiting faculty in my MBA institute, even at 66 he used to ride his Karizma/ Machismo to work and used to ride frequently on longer trips.
I believe that when it comes to ones passions, the societal norms can be just thrown out of the window. After all, you live only once.

Do invest in some good quality riding gear, helmet and luggage system, they make a whole lot of difference in the comfort department.
Wish you great health and many more happy miles on your motorcycle.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
Mr Ganapathy, congrats on the new bike. Glad to hear you took the plunge to do something you like. Keep a good balance and everyone will be happy.

Some suggestions - you already got some good advise not to wear backpacks. I notice both your and Vicha's backpack looks kind of heavy for a 2 day ride. Initially people tend to over-pack but soon learn to travel light. For a 2 day ride you should be able to pack everything in a small bag and tie it to the seat with bungee cords. Or use saddle bags and a tail box for longer rides.

Wish you good luck!
Thank you Biker Ram for your kind words. Yes I will strive to maintain a good Balance .Your point about the Backpacks being over packed for a 2 day trip is very valid and point taken. Will learn to pack light . Yes I will definitely take the advice of investing in saddle bags and Bungee cords. Thanks once again
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congrats for the bike and taking the plunge into the bike ride. You are a motivation with your passion for bikes.

I would recommend to get some riding gears and some riding specific luggage that can be fixed on the bike.

Hope to read more about your dominar ownership experience and bike rides.

All the best brother.
Thank you PatienceWins for your wishes. Yes I will take your advice and invest in Riding gears and saddle bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyOne View Post
What an inspiration!!!.

You are only one year younger to my father and you are perfectly in shape and active as well.
Congratulations on your new ride. Wishing you many more happy miles on your green beast.

I want to be as passionate as you in my 60's.

Gracias,
Ankit
Thanks Ankit for your kind message. God Bless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hahahah !! Excellent post and I really loved this line in your post. I have to humbly admit I have heard the same from my better half and friends !!!!!
Great going and ride on. !! Cheers !!
Thanks Seacat . Nice to hear that you can relate to my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Congratulations and a Great Write-up Ganapathy!!

I can tell you for sure, is that age is just a number.
I ride an Interceptor and we have a group for the twin owners, we have a lot of riders in the same age group as you or even in their 60s.
One of them has even done a solo golden quadrilateral ride on this new Interceptor. I also had the great fortune of spending a lot of time interacting with Dilip Bam sir, who used to be visiting faculty in my MBA institute, even at 66 he used to ride his Karizma/ Machismo to work and used to ride frequently on longer trips.
Wish you great health and many more happy miles on your motorcycle.
Thanks Ishan for your inspiring words. Hope I can continue to drive for a few more years at the very least. Yes I will invest in decent Riding gears and saddle bags. Thanks once again

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd January 2020 at 19:25. Reason: Broken quotes. Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:17   #28
BHPian

Thank you for this post Ganapathy sir! I had a really great time reading it and will surely use your wisdom in my own life.
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:00   #29
BHPian

That is an excellent write up and a big and bold step to do what you love. It was indeed a pleasure reading your story and you do write well also. Let me welcome you to the so called middle aged riders. I also restarted my riding in 2014 at the age of 54 after a gap of 20 years and is going strong now. In my loosely knit rider group the oldest is 70 and we rode to Goa a couple of months backs from Chennai. My father still complains to my wife as to why does she let me ride at this age. Fortunately she lets me ride, though I never asked her why lets me go on long trips regularly. . The longest she has ridden pillion with me is from Chennai to Pondy and back.
Would love to read about more of your rides over the coming months.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your New Ride Sir!! and also for taking the step towards liberation. I also own a 2017 Dominar and ride her every day. Once the bike has run-in and it opens up, you will enjoy the long-distance rides even more.

Do read up on bike maintenance and upkeep, especially the chain lubing and cleaning and precautions in case of long parking or break downs to keep you prepared. The bike is very reliable and low maintenance. Getting a pair of Auxillary LED lamps and Hazard flashers is also recommended.

Ride Safe!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks