Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 14:50   #1
BHPian

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo

A couple of months back, I bought a pre-owned 2017 Mahindra Mojo with 16,000 kms on the Odometer from Guwahati, Assam and rode it to my current station in Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh. It is a beautiful motorcycle and I am enjoying it every bit.

After covering around 2000 kms in the past couple of months, I observed the chain would lose its slack within a few kms and was making some noise. On closer observation, the rear sprocket too seemed worn out.
Initially, I thought of riding back to Guwahati (600 kms from Pasighat) and getting the sprockets and chain replaced. However, it was time consuming and needed leave of at least one day from work.

I learnt that my Mojo comes with a riveted master link in the chain as opposed to clip on type master link in my RE Classic 500.
I showed it around to local mechanics here and was not very sure about their ability to do a clean job. Most showed me big hammers for riveting the chain pins while online tutorials suggested riveting to be a delicate job. I decided it would be a DIY.

My father sent me the Mojo Chain Sprocket set (Chain, rear sprocket and front sprocket) from Guwahati . I ordered a chain breaker tool from International Tool Company from their website. (https://international-tool.co.in/). The reason I chose them is that delivery was promised to me within 7 days while Amazon was showing more than a month for tools of some other make.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_083127.jpg

ITC Chain tool

So, without any further delay let’s get right into it. Please bear in mind that I am doing chain and sprocket replacement for the first time (with some help from my 2 year old) and my methods may not be perfect. So, I welcome any suggestions on what could have been done better.

Step1:

Loosen front sprocket bolts using 8 mm socket after removing the sprocket housing cover. I believe this is done first as there will not be sufficient torque to loosen the bolts (sprocket will start spinning) once the chain is removed.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_093843.jpg
The patient and the operating tools

Took this opportunity to clean up the gunk accumulated in the area with liberal diesel spray.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_115345.jpg

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200114_152658.jpg

Front sprocket after removing the cover.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200114_153028.jpg

Loosening the bolts using 8 mm socket

Step 2:

Break the chain using the tool.

I followed the instructions of the tool manual. There are different size pins and dies for different chains. I took the master link from the new chain and got the right size pin and die for the Mojo chain.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_092217.jpg
Getting the right size pin and die

The pin is inserted in the body bolt and the die is inserted in the main body of the tool. Basically, the chain breaker tool pin will push out the chain pin from the chain and the displaced pin will fall through the die.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_092607.jpg

Set it up for illustrative purpose on the new chain.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_094017.jpg

Tool fitted on the bike’s old chain. I fit the tool on the sprocket to gain some leverage.

The chain breaker’s body bolt (with pin inside) needs to be hand tightened on the chain pin you plan to dislodge. This is crucial as a misaligned pin can deform or break.

Using a 19 mm socket and a spanner, the Chain breaker’s bolt is tightened. Initially, some pressure/ resistance will be felt which reduces as the chain pin starts moving out

Turning the chain breaker fully and the chain pin pops out from the other hand. You have a broke chain now. Removed the chain from the sprockets.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_095248.jpg
Chain pin popping out.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_095558.jpg
Old chain removed
gunin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 16:35   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo

Step 3:
Removed front sprocket by unscrewing the 8 mm bolts.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_114241.jpg
Old front sprocket

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_121622.jpg
Sprocket removed and area cleaned up with diesel.

The sprocket had completely worn out and thinned considerably.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_123709.jpg
Sprocket had become pointy

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200120_120748.jpg
Compared with new front sprocket.

Cleaned the area with some more diesel and fit the new sprocket. The bolts could not be tightened fully as the sprocket was spinning. These will be tightened once the new chain has been fixed.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200119_153019.jpg
New front sprocket on. Bolts remain to be tightened

Step 4:
Removed rear sprocket.

I wish the Mojo had a centre stand. I wanted to get a paddock stand but the delivery time was too long and I needed my bike on the road soon. So, I made do with my Bolero 4wd’s jack to lift the rear wheel. But, I would prefer a paddock stand for such work any day and have ordered one.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_062636.jpg
22 mm socket for removing the axle nut.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_063122.jpg
Lifting the bike's rear wheel using scissor jack

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_064100.jpg

Wheel removed and placed on two Murhas (traditional Assamese stool) to avoid scratching the disk.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_072253.jpg
12 mm socket and Allen key for removing the old chain sprocket.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_073000.jpg
Axle and its various washers in same arrangement as it came off. I am always worried of losing one or two washers on reassembly.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_070422.jpg
Old sprocket had worn out with some teeth looking like shark fins.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_070526.jpg
Old and New Sprocket.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_072708.jpg
New Sprocket fixed and ready to go.

If you are a solo mechanic like me, use anything (like iron plates here) to prop up the wheel and fitting everything back together.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_074256.jpg
Wheel fitted back

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200121_075122.jpg
New gleaming sprocket on clean wheels
gunin is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:47   #3
BHPian

Step 5:

Fitting new chain and connecting the master link.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_062518.jpg
New chain

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_062730.jpg
Master link for new chain

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_064007.jpg
Putting the new chain from the rear sprocket onwards

The rear wheel is lifted using the jack. Put a cardboard on the floor to keep the chain clean. The axle nut was pushed all the way to the front for fitting the master link on the new chain. Mojo comes with O rings and I smeared some calliper grease to make them stay on the link’s pins.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_073743.jpg
New chain fitted on bike by joining two ends with master link

Step 6: Pressing the new master link.

The chain breaker tool comes with a magnetic push plate which can be used to make the pins of the master link pop through the other plate of the link.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_074451.jpg
Chain tool rearranged with push plate

The plate will be pushed by the body bolt (with pin inside) and the plate in turn would press against the master link and make the pins pop through.
This is a delicate operation as over tightening can make the master link useless. As I had only one master link, I was very careful with this process.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_074054.jpg
Measured the width of an existing link. It was around 19 mm.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_074852.jpg

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_074948.jpg
Chain tool assembled on chain.

Again, I needed to be precise to avoid any damage to the master link.
Tightened the body bolt of the tool and checked the width by removing the tool. Fit the tool back and continued with pressing the master link.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_075059.jpg
Chain pins starting to pop out/ come through

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_075636.jpg
Tightened it further until width of the master link was 19 mm.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200123_075621.jpg
Happy with the 19 mm width of the master link

With the chain fixed, I tightened the bolts holding the front sprocket.

Step 7: Riveting the Chain Pins

Again, another delicate operation which involves flaring/ mushrooming the pins of the master link so that the pins stay securely in its place. In case of my RE Classic 500, this process is substituted by putting a clip on the master link.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200124_060523.jpg
Setting up the Chain tool for the last operation. The closed die is used to press the master link pin from one side and the tool pin is used to flare out the master link

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200124_060559.jpg
The die is a closed one as opposed to the open one used during chain breaking.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200124_062415.jpg
Flaring is done one pin at a time. Very less force is required and within half a turn, the chain link was flared. The process is repeated on the other pin of the master link.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200124_063035.jpg
Pins flared.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200124_063044.jpg
Visually inspecting for over tightening. Looks good!

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-img_20200124_063500.jpg
Checked if links are too tight. All good with free movement.

With this, the bike has new chain and sprockets and the last step is to adjust the chain slack.

There you have it, my Mojo is ready to take me places in a smoother and crisper way.

DIY: Chain sprocket and Chain replacement for Mahindra Mojo-dsc_1707.jpg

Some points:

1. I completed the tasks above over a period of 4 days. This was mainly due to my lack of time- with my overenthusiastic toddler assistant; I did most of the work before the family woke up. Nothing like greasy hands in the morning!

2. I watched a lot of tutorials on YouTube before each step. This helped in getting everything right in one go.

3. I tried to keep everything neat and clean during the installation. This resulted in really greasy hands which wouldn’t clean fully even with diesel which further resulted in weird looks in my office. I have ordered disposable working gloves from Amazon.

4. The ITC tool feels robust and built to last. I hope I am proved correct in my initial assessment.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by gunin : 30th January 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Formatting
gunin is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 13:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section). Thanks for sharing!
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 13:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb cataloguing of the work in progress. I would never have been able to do this depth of photography.

How much did you pay for the chain breaker?

ITC is a very good company. I have visited their H. O. and master stock yard and picked up a lot of my own tools from them.

Your apprentice padawan seems to be progressing well.

Last edited by Red Liner : 30th January 2020 at 13:38.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 15:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent job. Nice chain punch! I have something similar I use for replacing valve gear distribution chains on cars. (And a very simple version for my bicycle chain)

I like how you showed the old and the new sprocket to show the considerable wear on the old one.

Good trick with the grease to keep parts in place.

You probably did, one thing I always check when replacing chain is to check not only the slack, but also whether the newly rivets and link have sufficient movement. Ideally you bend the chain on both sides of the connecting link completely forward and backward. Make sure it has full free movement and very little resistance.

On a bike, if the link is to stiff, you probably wont notice it much as the forces on the chain are considerable, but it will lead to accelerated wear and ultimately breaking of the chain.

On bicycles it tends to show up very pronounced as it will not run properly through the guide wheels of the derailleur.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 18:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

A great informative thread @gunin. Though I don't think I will ever do this myself or will need to do it as I have stopped riding, I still went through all the posts meticulously. In USA I had a Ninja 650 and had to change the chain after 8000 miles. The workshop had taken a lot of money for the job (chain + sprocket + labour was 320 dollars in 2011). Here is the post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post2316403 (Blackpearl goes green - the Green Goblin (2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R EX ))

At that point I had thought of learning to do this myself in order to save the high labour cost in advanced countries. But sold the bike off before needing the next chain replacement. One more point is that I feel the chain is the most important part of the bike, so I would leave it to professionals as I don't have that much faith on my DIY capabilities. Good to see that you took the onus on yourself. Thanks for sharing all the details!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 10:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Superb cataloguing of the work in progress. I would never have been able to do this depth of photography.

How much did you pay for the chain breaker?

ITC is a very good company. I have visited their H. O. and master stock yard and picked up a lot of my own tools from them.

Your apprentice padawan seems to be progressing well.
Thanks a lot Red Liner! Since I did this over a period of a few days, I took the opportunity to take pictures at every step. I paid around Rs.4 k for the tool. This is the first time I am buying any tools from ITC and I think I will get more from them in the future. And my apprentice padawan seems to like toying around with the various tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Excellent job. Nice chain punch! I have something similar I use for replacing valve gear distribution chains on cars. (And a very simple version for my bicycle chain)

I like how you showed the old and the new sprocket to show the considerable wear on the old one.

Good trick with the grease to keep parts in place.

You probably did, one thing I always check when replacing chain is to check not only the slack, but also whether the newly rivets and link have sufficient movement. Ideally you bend the chain on both sides of the connecting link completely forward and backward. Make sure it has full free movement and very little resistance.

On a bike, if the link is to stiff, you probably wont notice it much as the forces on the chain are considerable, but it will lead to accelerated wear and ultimately breaking of the chain.

On bicycles it tends to show up very pronounced as it will not run properly through the guide wheels of the derailleur.

Jeroen
Thank you Jeroen! Someday, I hope to build a work station like yours. I indeed checked for sufficient movement of the master link and happy to report it moves freely on bending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
A great informative thread @gunin. Though I don't think I will ever do this myself or will need to do it as I have stopped riding, I still went through all the posts meticulously. In USA I had a Ninja 650 and had to change the chain after 8000 miles. The workshop had taken a lot of money for the job (chain + sprocket + labour was 320 dollars in 2011). Here is the post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post2316403 (Blackpearl goes green - the Green Goblin (2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R EX ))

At that point I had thought of learning to do this myself in order to save the high labour cost in advanced countries. But sold the bike off before needing the next chain replacement. One more point is that I feel the chain is the most important part of the bike, so I would leave it to professionals as I don't have that much faith on my DIY capabilities. Good to see that you took the onus on yourself. Thanks for sharing all the details!
Thank you Blackpearl . It is too early for you to call off your riding days. Regarding the DIY, my reasoning is similar to yours. I would any day let a professional handle such stuff on my bike and be completely at ease of mind. I actually waited for 1 month looking for an opportunity to go back to Guwahati for the same. However, I did not have any confidence with the local mechanics here in Pasighat and went the DIY way.
gunin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 18:42   #9
BHPian

That was a very detailed narrative of the whole process, with good pictures of every step. Makes things very clear. Thank you for sharing it.

It is always good to work on our motors ourselves and a little DIY never hurt anyone, but I suppose one has to have an inclination and interest in such things. I do most of the work on my motor bike myself. I have done chain changing on my road bicycle but have not done the same on my motorbike, yet. When it comes to needing it, I think I will do it myself, rather than paying an arm and a leg at the superbikes stealer-ship, with their sky high labour costs. It is also loads of fun, doing things on our own.

I was gonna say, use the workmans gloves when doing jobs such as this. It protects your hands from abrasions and cuts and also keeps the grease stains off the skin. Looks like you have ordered the gloves.

Wishing you many miles of happy biking.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed