Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 22:42   #1
BHPian

Honda Activa 5G vs Activa 6G vs Activa BS6 125

Tired of driving my 4-wheeler to work (in Bangalore) where a mere 16Km one way drive takes me between 1-1.5 hours in the morning, and 1.15-2 hrs on the way back. Thus, thinking of buying a 2-wheeler that wife too can drive. I am 6ft, wife is 5-9ft (so both relatively tallish), and I'm overweight at about 98kgs. On weekends, I need to drop my son to one or the other coaching or training class, ditto for the daughter. Overall, I expect to drive the two-wheeler around 7000kms in a year.

Normally when I buy I vehicle, I own it and keep it for 10+ years. Resale value might not be a big factor (I'm not sure how well does a 10+ yr Activa hold it's resale value, even though I hear that it holds it best among it's peers), but I like good, very reliable engine and smooth handling. Good mileage is a bonus, but not the biggest concern.

Given the above, I am wondering if I should really wait for 3 months for delivery of an Activa 6G (w/ BS6 FI and other refinements), or Active 125 BS6 (more powerful, slightly more premium features) but with a 1.5 months wait period, or just pick up an Active 5G (or even Dio 5G) ? Is the wait for BS6 engine worth it ?

Alternatively, how does Suzuki Access 125 (BS6) compare ? I hear that it has about a month's waiting time. I'm not a fan of TVS line, due to past experience -- quality, engine refinement and reliability, not being close to the Japanese ones. However if anyone feels otherwise, strongly, let me know why.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers.
Old 30th January 2020, 23:16   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Activa 5G vs Activa 6G vs Activa BS6 125

I got my dad an Activa 125 BS6 about a month ago and I must say he's very happy with it. I myself have ridden it for about 50kms or so and it's very smooth. With BS6 being a FI engine, there will be no starting problems in winter and you'll get a better resale value in the future. I got the scooter 3 weeks after booking but it might take a little longer now since more people are lining up for it but if you ask me, I'd say do go for the BS6 as the price difference is nominal and since you plan to hold on to your ride longer, it'll be future proof as well if there is anything future proof at all.
Carpainter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 23:36   #3
BANNED

re: Honda Activa 5G vs Activa 6G vs Activa BS6 125

Used/using TVS Jupiter, Honda Activa, Hero Maestro, Yamaha Fascino, and Piaggio Vespa.

Activa is best of the lot, it rides well, it is refined, and it is reliable. Only gripe is build quality(or sheet metal quality) became flimsier over time/generations, also spares became pretty costly. For example, headlamp cover/cowl which used to cost ~300 rupees in the past now costs around ~1035 rupees for the plastic part.

If quality is the preferred over ride and refinement, I suggest Piaggio Vespa, it is much better built than Activa.

To say it simply, I suggest Activa. Within the Honda family, make a choice after proper test drive. You can avoid Dio as its seating position, legs position, other such things were quite different from Activa, given your height & build it might not be comfortable to you.
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:12   #4
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa 5G vs Activa 6G vs Activa BS6 125

Here’s my experience buying the Access 125, 2 days back.

I have been using a 2003 model Activa which has been maintained neatly. I even had the engine redone 4 years back. I am somehow not comfortable riding it for more than 15-20km.

The obvious choice was the Honda Activa 125, BS6. My wife wanted to choose the Honda over any other scooter due to the reliability, and now with the addition of features like the Start/Stop, Silent Start, FI, it was in fact a no brainer to choose the Activa, budget not being a barrier at all.

All set, both me and my wife walked to a nearby Honda Showroom. As usual, the showroom experience is far from friendly. Anyways, the dealership experience shouldn’t be a barrier to choosing a product, especially considering that I am trying to buy the most popular scooter.

We were offered a quick test ride. The features worked flawlessly, but there was one major grouse. The scooter itself felt very refined but had no life at all. It felt very timid and not exciting. To add to my woes, I was told, I have to wait for 2 months to get the scooter.

We then went to the Suzuki showroom to checkout the Access 125, BS6. Again, nothing much to write home about on the dealership experience. We were offered a quick test ride of the BS6 variant. Both I and my wife test rode it back to back, Voila! Access it is.
Yes, the access does not have the remote release for the fuel lid, no silent start, start/stop, DTE. But what access has is much better handling, ride and most importantly a thorough enjoyable riding experience. I also definitely felt that the handling of Access is better than the Activa.

The riding experience alone sealed it for me.

I chose the black color Disc+Alloy variant. I am somehow not a fan of those contrast seats. Got the vehicle in 3 days. I have ridden about 70km in the last 3 days and I am very satisfied with the purchase. Most of my cousins, who rode the scooter were indeed wow’d by how much the scooter has improved.

So, please test ride Access 125 before you make the decision. I would choose the Access over Activa even if they are priced the same, let alone being cheaper.

Hope this helps.
hellraizer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post

We were offered a quick test ride. The features worked flawlessly, but there was one major grouse. The scooter itself felt very refined but had no life at all. It felt very timid and not exciting. To add to my woes, I was told, I have to wait for 2 months to get the scooter.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that is very helpful, I am in the same boat & want to pick up a scooter to avoid the perpetual traffic woes for small errands.

Activa 125 BS6 you felt had no life ? Does that mean the pick up is low ?

I am getting both the Activa 6G, 125 BS6 and the Access 125 BS6 with around 15 days waiting in my tier 2 town. Have test ridden the the Access 125 BS6, it felt slightly tall even to my 5' 11" frame, plus the service center (only 1 here) felt unprofessional at a glance with people loitering around & crammed with scooter. The Honda in contrast has 5 dealers and service station even here. Hence remain undecided, if I should pick up the superior Access 125 Bs6 or the dull Activa 6G/ 125, budget not being a constraint.
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post

<snip>

So, please test ride Access 125 before you make the decision. I would choose the Access over Activa even if they are priced the same, let alone being cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot, so thanks. Echoing @goswami.j's question, could you elaborate a bit on "...very timid and not exciting" ?

I will certainly take a test ride of Access 125 and Activa 125 (both BS6) as suggested (hopefully on the same day), however 3 things which bother me a bit about Access 125 (compared to Activa):
  1. Slightly narrower handle, slightly lower handle-bar height of Access (this is based on specs and what I've read in few reviews), haven't actually tried it. OTOH, in few 2Ws tried, the narrower and lower handlebars, I suspect have been a cause of some backpain and discomfort.
  2. Riding position of Activa seems to be little more upright, i.e. again the handlebar height in comparison to seat is higher, apart from slightly better ground-clearance.
  3. If I compare two 6-7 year old scooters -- Activa and Access, I have observed that the Access looks more run-down, beaten-up. Especially the exhaust pipe+muffler part, and stands. Of course, this could be just a small sample and luck.
Wonder if you or anyone else has come across these observations, or perhaps something to the contrary.

cheers.
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Thanks, that is very helpful, I am in the same boat & want to pick up a scooter to avoid the perpetual traffic woes for small errands.

I am getting both the Activa 6G, 125 BS6 and the Access 125 BS6 with around 15 days waiting in my tier 2 town. Have test ridden the the Access 125 BS6, it felt slightly tall even to my 5' 11" frame, plus the service center (only 1 here) felt unprofessional at a glance with people loitering around & crammed with scooter. The Honda in contrast has 5 dealers and service station even here. Hence remain undecided, if I should pick up the superior Access 125 Bs6 or the dull Activa 6G/ 125, budget not being a constraint.

Wow, lucky you to have a 2 week waiting. OTOH, in Bangalore I am getting different waiting period indications from different dealers. For Ananda Honda (HSR, Bommanahalli), they say waiting period is 2.5-3 months, Raja Honda (near Forum) says that waiting period is 1 month, Sapphire Honda said something in-between. I wonder if Ananda Honda has too big an inventory of unsold Activa 5Gs or not !!
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Used/using TVS Jupiter, Honda Activa, Hero Maestro, Yamaha Fascino, and Piaggio Vespa.

Activa is best of the lot, it rides well, it is refined, and it is reliable. Only gripe is build quality(or sheet metal quality) became flimsier over time/generations, also spares became pretty costly. For example, headlamp cover/cowl which used to cost ~300 rupees in the past now costs around ~1035 rupees for the plastic part.

If quality is the preferred over ride and refinement, I suggest Piaggio Vespa, it is much better built than Activa.

To say it simply, I suggest Activa. Within the Honda family, make a choice after proper test drive. You can avoid Dio as its seating position, legs position, other such things were quite different from Activa, given your height & build it might not be comfortable to you.

Thanks a lot. Those are some good points. It is evident that the seller of the largest selling scooter is trying to cashin on it's cash-cow. OTOH, unless due to accidents, I'd think that the Activa's parts quality is not that bad that it needs changing every few years ? Or is it ? Since that doesn't speak much of quality or reliability then.
Old 3rd February 2020, 16:14   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
OTOH, unless due to accidents, I'd think that the Activa's parts quality is not that bad that it needs changing every few years ? Or is it ? Since that doesn't speak much of quality or reliability then.
Spot on. Only in case of accidents, you need to change the parts. Reliability is not an issue.

However, coming to the sheet-metal quality, my previous Activa(2004) had much better(read thicker & lesser prone to rust) sheet metal than my current Activa(2009) and it is much worse in later model years.

My friend's Activa(2011) which is parked in the open and was exposed to water dripping from water tank overflows got severely rusted, while similarly exposed decades old Luna didn't get rusted that much comparatively.

Coming to Vespa, everything in it looks and feels premium over Activa, those hand grips, the stainless steel body guard, the seat cover etc. Mine is 2012 year model, later iterations got different wheels and better tires.

All things aside, I still prefer Activa over Vespa or others for the ride and refinement. Don't know much about TVS Jupiter, and Suzuki Access, took the test rides years back but can't recollect the experiences now.

BTW, did you try Suzuki Burgman, had a chance to ride my friend's Burgman for a good amount of time, loved it too.

Last edited by wheelguy : 3rd February 2020 at 16:16.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Helps a lot, so thanks. Echoing @goswami.j's question, could you elaborate a bit on "...very timid and not exciting" ?
Don’t get me wrong. The Activa essentially is a fantastic scooter, and perhaps will age better too, than the Access. I would essentially have preferred the drivability of the Access in the Activa. Unfortunately it’s very docile.
The acceleration is very flat right from the word Go. A “wring” on the throttle and you begin to wonder, is everything alright with the scooter? The pace is built very progressively and there is almost no throwback. To add to its woes, it weighs an extra 7-8 kgs compared to the Access.

Considering that the Access is all fiber body, it may not even last as long as the Activa, but I guess that’s no longer a big reason for a lot of people.

OTOH, the plastic quality of the Access has definitely seen an improvement from the past and is on par with Activa if not better.
The seats are awesome, the floor board and the boot is the biggest in class.

I would definitely have preferred to have an Engine Kill Switch if not the Start/Stop. The absence of the remote fuel lid release is indeed a bummer from Suzuki

I am ok with all the other missing features.

My monthly average usage will be less than 300km considering that I use my car and bike as well.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

A test ride will seal it for you
hellraizer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 13:53   #11
BHPian

Hello everyone,

What is the difference between activa 6g and activa 125 other than the engine?

Is the low end better on 125? I will never cross 40-45kmph on activa(thanks to the narrow roads and traffic) so is it worth spending more on 125cc?

Thanks.
Old 31st October 2020, 15:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Hello everyone,

What is the difference between activa 6g and activa 125 other than the engine?

Is the low end better on 125? I will never cross 40-45kmph on activa(thanks to the narrow roads and traffic) so is it worth spending more on 125cc?

Thanks.
Not much then the engine along with digital console on second and top variant of 125, but for the price difference of 5K i found 125 a better deal then 110.
Recently exchanged my jupiter for BS6 Activa125 and very happy with it.Access i was not soo comfortable and Ntorq is not for my needs.Went ahead with activa and superly happy.
Old 31st October 2020, 15:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
but for the price difference of 5K i found 125 a better deal then 110..
Thanks for the reply

Yes the difference is not much so booked the 125 version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks