Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 22:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Time to upgrade? Advice from TVS Apache RR 310 owners needed

If you’ve developed an itch to upgrade like I had back in jun 2019 - I suggest go for twin cylinders now. The feel of owning & riding one is unparalleled.

It’s not that RR310 won’t be a worthy upgrade - I mean to myself, I upgraded from 220FI to Ninja 300. Experience has been truly amazing.

I’d suggest try all the options you’ve before you for an upgrade if budget isn’t a constraint:

1) R3
2) N300
3) Interceptor 650

These bikes are extremely good and refined to a wonderful extent which a single cylinder wouldn’t give. Need I say more on the power? They’re purely ballistic.

As for single cylinders:

1) RR310 is a worthy upgrade with all the feature list on it

2) KTM D390 (this ones madness) - I personally like this bike for its nimble characteristics and insane acceleration. I see you have disliked them already but I still advise you to ride it once

Thanks

RV
Old 13th February 2020, 01:25   #17
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. Extremely informative.

I happened to test drive the following bikes:

RE Himalayan - The particular bike I rode was in pathetic shape. The bike had only about 5k kilometers on the odo, but felt like it had clocked 50k+ kilometers. I liked the comfortable position, visor and the overall ride quality. Biggest concern with the bike for me was that it lacked power. Even my RTR200 feels much snappier.

RE Interceptor 650 - VFM. A twin 650 at 3L on road. Pulls nicely, handles decently. Engine compliments the bike really well. I liked the bike, but no protection against wind blast and I truly believe it is not the best choice for touring.

Duke 390 Adventure - Don't ask me where and how I got a TD for this bike.

I loved the bike. Since the bike was brand new, I kept the bike under 5k rpm. But the bike felt like the perfect choice for me. The power, the comfortable seats, the tech. Excellent package by KTM. 3.5L On-road Chennai is a bit of a stretch for me, but I really think this bike is going to be a game changer.

In other news, I found some gems in the Pre-Owned goldmine.

Ninja 650 - 2017 Dec - 3000 KMs clocked - Rs.4.5L. A close family friend owns this bike. I believe it is a very fair price and I know the bike has been maintained very well since day 1.
BMW G310R - 2018 - 3000 KMs clocked - 2.65L
BMW G310R - 2019 - 100 KMs clocked - 2.8L Got SOLD in 2 days.
Benelli 600i - 2017 - 11,000KMs clocked - 3.68L

This is when I realized, with a budget of around 5L, there are some really great deals in the pre-owned market. I think, I will wait for a year and upgrade to a 600cc+ bike as suggested by few BHPians. The Ninja 650 seems to be the almost perfect tourer for me.

For now, the RTR200 will continue to munch miles.
MadrasTurbo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 07:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Stay away from the benelli 600i. I have ridden it and it is as agile as a dead crocodile. Only good stuff about it is the fantastic inline 4 exhaust note. It isn't fast too for a 600.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 09:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasTurbo View Post
Thanks a lot for all your inputs. Extremely informative.

I happened to test drive the following bikes:
MadrasTurbo, I would suggest that you take stock of your requirements and budget (not just today but in the long run for maintenance) before making a final decision. The reason I am saying this is that in your first post you had mentioned about the higher service costs of a Duke 250 as a red flag for you. These bigger bikes that you are exploring now will also come with bigger service bills. They are not prohibitively expensive but consumables will need to be accounted for in advance. For example, a fellow forum member changed the tires on his new pre worshipped Kawasaki 650 and the total amount came to Rs 26,000 for Angel GT tires. If it fits your wallet, then I will suggest go with a bigger bike and enjoy your motorcycling.

With a Rs 5 lakh budget, you can get a near new Kawasaki Z650 or Ninja 650, which to be honest are really great bikes. If you stretch your budget a little or wait a bit more, you can get 2014 / 2015 Triumph Street Triple 675 bikes with not too many kilometers on the clock. The very capable Honda CBR 650F is also in your price range. There are a ton of options if you are patient.

If you prefer to go the new route, I would suggest between the Interceptor 650 (throw in a simple windscreen, it will do wonders for touring) or the KTM 390 Adventure or the new TVS Apache RR 310.

Happy shopping!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
MadrasTurbo, I would suggest that you take stock of your requirements and budget (not just today but in the long run for maintenance) before making a final decision. The reason I am saying this is that in your first post you had mentioned about the higher service costs of a Duke 250 as a red flag for you. These bigger bikes that you are exploring now will also come with bigger service bills.!
What I meant was, for a bike that is under or around 300cc, I don't want to spend a lot on maintenance. Also, a few KTM owners had messaged me saying maintenance was not that high for them and asked me to reconsider the KTMs and that's why I gave it a second thought.

That being said, I don't expect low service costs for a 650cc+ bike. Yes, I will definitely think about feeding an elephant before buying one.
Old 13th February 2020, 10:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi TBHPians,

Bit of context
.... I have clocked about 50,000KMs and have not faced with any major issues, except for the few initial niggles that TVS promptly took care of. I have taken the bike on a lot of long rides and the bike has been extremely comfortable. .......
I tour quite a lot and top speed is not a concern. A bike which can cruise comfortably at 110-120KMPH should suffice. I would prefer a fully faired bike as my biggest issue with my current bike is wind blast.....Lastly, any other bikes to consider?Your valuable thoughts would be extremely helpful for me to decide.
I had (recently sold) a RC390 (which I absolutely loved) and have a Versys 650. Since you like touring, I would suggest that you upgrade to something like a used Versys 650 - you'll get good, well-maintained bikes in the 4-4.5 lakh rupee range with all needed touring accessories. The comfort and ability to munch miles is mind-blowing, and if you are 5'8" or more you will have no problems flat-footing the bike. The bike does not get hot even in dense city traffic. I daresay this will not be a compromise step up, but an investment that will enable you to do tours that may presently be daunting. Do try this option once.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 17:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi TBHPians,

Bit of context

Lastly, any other bikes to consider? Though I just love the brutal power figures of the KTM Twins, the RC390 is a bit too uncomfortable for my liking. I see the updated model is expected later this year. Is it worth waiting for it?Link here.

Your valuable thoughts would be extremely helpful for me to decide.
Do check out Dominar 400 - its a good engineering with great performance .
No cost cutting at any section !
Old 27th March 2020, 14:55   #23
BHPian

I own an Apache RR 310, which I've been riding for for two years now. It's the motorcycle that I use virtually daily and have toured on it a lot as well (managed to do Mumbai - Delhi in 2 days without any trouble or body ache).

My bike is from the first lot of the RR310 from 2017, and it used to vibrate like crazy - not just the engine, but every damn panel! TVS was quick to fix all the issues, but it's still far from perfect. Parts aren't that expensive, I've only changed the front brake pads after 16,000km, which set me back by around Rs 2,500. Also, got the slipper clutch fitted since I rely a lot on engine braking, but again not much of a difference. But, this was 2017 version. I tested the 2020 version during the media ride and the difference is night and day! I don't know if I am allowed to post a link of my review here, but you can PM me and I'll forward the link.

In my opinion, the RR 310 is now the bike, which it should have been in the first place. It feels like a complete package, gotten more refined, and packs more features. Plus, it looks as good as before. If you want to buy a fully faired motorcycle in that segment, I think you should go ahead with it.

However, if you don't tour a lot and aren't obsessed with faired bikes, please do check the Honda CB300R. The BS6 version isn't out as yet, but should be on sale in the next couple ot months. That's one sweet motorcycle if you ride for fun. If most of your riding is in the city, the CB300R is THE bike! The quality is phenomenal and it feels very premium. People often turn it down based on its spec-sheet, but if I were to buy a motorcycle in the 300cc segment, I'd buy the CB300R without having any second thoughts.
Shivank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 11:21   #24
BHPian

There were some crazy deals on the G310R in the month of Feb and the first week of March. At least in Pune it’s sold out now. I bought mine on 6th March. It’s my first bike so I can’t comment on the upgrade factor over RTR 200.
The stalling problem is there(like in the RR310) but it’s something that you can get used to. Yes it’s a naked but has one of the most comfortable riding triangles wrt the competition. You can always put a windscreen to tackle some wind blasts when you are touring. Also the pillion seat is also quite usable unlike the competition. I haven’t crossed 6000 RPMs as it’s under run in and I don’t feel any vibrations at least till 6000 RPMs. The way the engine (not the exhaust) sounds post 4000 RPMs is quite orgasmic.

Yes the service costs are going to be on the higher side ~7-8k/year (excluding 1st service) but I guess as it has a yearly service schedule it shouldn’t be a lot more than the competition that follows 6 months service interval.

Last edited by Waspune : 28th March 2020 at 11:25.
Old 29th August 2020, 20:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post

In my opinion, the RR 310 is now the bike, which it should have been in the first place. It feels like a complete package, gotten more refined, and packs more features. Plus, it looks as good as before. If you want to buy a fully faired motorcycle in that segment, I think you should go ahead with it.
Could you please elaborate on the difference between bs4 and bs6 version. I am not expecting twin cylinder kind of refinement but can it be compared with unicorn / Cbr levels or tvs is just not there yet?
Old 11th January 2022, 13:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

RR310 owners here - a question for you all.

I bought the RR310 BTO in November 2021. I've had two questions that the SVC has not been able to resolve for me:

1. Can the position of the Front Brake Lever be lowered? At 5'11", I find the positioning of the lever uncomfortable for the wrists. I could adjust the clutch lever but the massive switch assembly doesn't allow the same for the front brake lever. The SVC says "alignment problem will happen". That makes absolutely no sense, though

2. False 1st Gears. I've dealt with Neutral being between 1st and 2nd gear with my Hunk for 60k+ km. So I know the nuance of tapping to find neutral. But occasionally on this bike, the console shows N but the bike is actually in 1st gear! Almost dropped it on Day 1. The bike showed N but it was actually in 1st. As soon as I hit the starter button, the bike started jumping forward! Luckily, managed to bring it under control. During the 1st service, I told the SVC. When I went for the post-service test ride, I faced the same issue. When I told them, they said I need to tap harder and I was too soft. Has anyone else faced this?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 11th January 2022 at 13:26.
Old 11th January 2022, 16:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
1. Can the position of the Front Brake Lever be lowered? At 5'11", I find the positioning of the lever uncomfortable for the wrists. I could adjust the clutch lever but the massive switch assembly doesn't allow the same for the front brake lever. The SVC says "alignment problem will happen". That makes absolutely no sense, though
It's got nothing to do with the switch housing.

Loosen the bolts of the brake master cylinder's clamp. When it's loose enough to move, swiwel it to the position of your liking. Then tighten it. Make sure the new position doesn't adversely affect the brake hose though.
Old 11th January 2022, 17:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
It's got nothing to do with the switch housing.

Loosen the bolts of the brake master cylinder's clamp. When it's loose enough to move, swiwel it to the position of your liking. Then tighten it. Make sure the new position doesn't adversely affect the brake hose though.
Sadly, the switch casing does matter. When you lower the front brake lever, the lever fouls with the switch case and obstructs the braking. The sales exec did the same thing and ended up with the same result as well.
Old 11th January 2022, 20:23   #29
BHPian

I'm guessing you mean the hard routing for the throttle cable is getting in the way. See if you can rotate the switch housing as well. Alternatively, you can try moving the master cylinder clamp inwards along the handlebar to get more room to rotate the lever. See if that helps.
Old 11th January 2022, 21:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
RR310 owners here - a question for you all.

I bought the RR310 BTO in November 2021. I've had two questions that the SVC has not been able to resolve for me:

2. False 1st Gears. I've dealt with Neutral being between 1st and 2nd gear with my Hunk for 60k+ km. So I know the nuance of tapping to find neutral. But occasionally on this bike, the console shows N but the bike is actually in 1st gear! Almost dropped it on Day 1. The bike showed N but it was actually in 1st. As soon as I hit the starter button, the bike started jumping forward! Luckily, managed to bring it under control. During the 1st service, I told the SVC. When I went for the post-service test ride, I faced the same issue. When I told them, they said I need to tap harder and I was too soft. Has anyone else faced this?
As a first batch RR310 owner, I can confirm that this issue has been there right since the start. They've made so much progress in ironing out most of the issues, but sadly they couldn't fix this one yet.
I've had similar heart in mouth moments as you mentioned, a few in bumper to bumper traffic and a few in the parking lots as well.
This has been apparently 'addressed' during multiple service sessions, but it crops up again everytime. I've stopped raising this issue and am just more careful since then.
Do you get a similar readout on the console as seen in the image below, if you happened to notice by any chance?

Time to upgrade? Advice from TVS Apache RR 310 owners needed-tvs-apache-rr310-gear-position-indicator-issue.jpeg

Most Viewed