Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2020, 14:57   #1
BHPian

Time to upgrade? Advice from TVS Apache RR 310 owners needed

Hi TBHPians,

Bit of context
I was one of the first buyers of the TVS Apache RTR 200 back in 2016. It was my first bike and has been serving me well for the past 3.5 years. I have clocked about 50,000KMs and have not faced with any major issues, except for the few initial niggles that TVS promptly took care of. I have taken the bike on a lot of long rides and the bike has been extremely comfortable.

Coming June, the bike would complete 4 years. Though the bike is in exceptional condition, I have this sudden itch to upgrade after seeing the 2020 RR310.

Is it a worthy upgrade?

The Apache RTR200 has been an excellent bike for two reasons. One, it is extremely fun to ride. Two, it has been extremely cheap to maintain.

My close friend owns a KTM Duke 250, and it has been a nightmare to maintain that bike. The service bills give me a mini heart attack and the quality of service has also been very poor. This scares me from the KTM Twins.

I tour quite a lot and top speed is not a concern. A bike which can cruise comfortably at 110-120KMPH should suffice. I would prefer a fully faired bike as my biggest issue with my current bike is wind blast.

Coming back to the RR310, one of the major issues I feel is the lack of a good dealership network. Chennai's biggest and my current dealer, Ramkay TVS does not deal with the RR310. i have a good relationship with the service technicians here and the management here takes service complaints seriously. If any RR310 owner from Chennai can recommend any dealership, it would be helpful.

How expensive is the first gen RR310 to maintain. I went through ownership reviews of few BHPians here, but have not got a clear picture on the overall cost of maintenance.

With my Apache RTR200 I get a FE of 27-30KMPL, and I see similar, if not more claimed for the RR310. Is this true?

Lastly, any other bikes to consider? Though I just love the brutal power figures of the KTM Twins, the RC390 is a bit too uncomfortable for my liking. I see the updated model is expected later this year. Is it worth waiting for it?Link here.

Your valuable thoughts would be extremely helpful for me to decide.
MadrasTurbo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Time to upgrade? Advice from TVS Apache RR 310 owners needed

If you like the RR 310, why dont you look at the R15? Would save you a lot of money and will meet your needs. The RR310 will definitely be less fuel efficient than the Apache.
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

The RR310 is definitely a worthy upgrade although you might find some parts to be a bit expensive, overall I feel it would not be tough to maintain. Why not check out discounted BS4 stock of the Ninja300? Japanese reliability and more localized production means that it is no longer crazy in terms of maintenance. Even look out for any leftover stock of the Benelli 302r they offer an un-beatable 3 year warranty on their bikes and are stepping up their investment in the country. Also the adjustable damping on the 302r ought to make it ideal for sport touring As for the RC390, I own the thing and it has been my first bike which I absolutely love to bits. BUT if you aren't absolutely bowled over by it on your first test ride itself, then don't bother it simply might not be your cup of tea.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd February 2020 at 19:06.
IshaanIan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:08   #4
BHPian

I own the first gen RR310 + Slipper Clutch installed once it was made available to existing owners. I have completed 23000 kms in 1.5 years of my ownership. RR310 has great looks, very well tuned suspension for everyday use, 180 mm Ground Clearance and good ride quality. The bike is agile and is easy to maneuver in traffic. It does not transfer any heat to the rider in-spite of engine temperature crossing more than 115 degrees at times. Delivers Fuel Efficiency of ~30-31 kmpl in Mumbai day to day riding and ~33-35 kmpl on highway depending on riding style. As far as negatives goes RR310 has a few issues (at least my bike has) i.e. Stalling Issue - The bike stalls randomly at times (once or twice a day) and it's annoying. Fork Seals - I have replaced them 3 times already and they seem delicate for everyday riding. However the new set I am on so far has worked well and I hoping it continues. Engine Noise - Apache's are known for their orgasmic sound however this one is an exception, I don't like how loud the engine sound gets when the rev counter crosses 5000 rpm, it screams.

As far as spare parts are concerned, they are slightly on the pricier side. Chain Sprocket ~ Rs.4500, Brake Pads ~ Rs.1100. First couple of service bills will be on lower side ~ Rs.1500.

I am hoping the new BS6 version is more refined, has limited vibes and has fixed the stalling issue.

If I were in market today with the budget of 3-4L, I would seriously give Duke 390 Adventure a thought. Interceptor 650 also looks like a promising product.
Sachin_Nair is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:58   #5

I recently purchased the RR310 in December 2019. It is an attention magnet. Photos don't do it justice. It looks exceptionally good in real life (looks are subjective though).

I can vouch for the BHPian's post above me and I agree with what he has said.

My bike also has a stalling issue (when the clutch is pulled in while I decelerate for example when I come up to a speedbreaker). It is an excitement killer for a new owner like me, but I guess I can live with it as I have little choice.

Other than that issue, the bike is awesome in almost all categories.
I recommend you wait for the BS6 version if you're considering RR310 and I pray that the stalling issue will be rectified in that one.

+1 for the Duke 390 Adventure or perhaps a Duke 390.
ameyfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

For someone who has owned RR310, it is a very competent product. Except the vibrations the bike did everything well, maintainenace was pretty low. The new additions are definitely well thought of and makes it a better overall product.

That said would i buy it again today, probably no, specially if i am coming from RTR 200. My suggestion would be to step up a bit, since you are already happy with your RTR, push it a year or two more, add up some money and go for a Ninja 650 or likes. If you do not mind a pre owned one, some good ninja 650 with low run kms can be had for 5 lacs and below.
AtheK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 09:49   #7
BHPian

Re: Time to upgrade? Advice from TVS Apache RR 310 owners needed

I own 2017 Duke 390 (26k kms), and it's not difficult to maintain at all. Service costs is reasonable. I didn't had any bad experience with KTM SVCs.

Coming back to your question on upgrade, sure 2020 RR310 is a good bike. Though, performance wise not the most exciting one against the competition. I would suggest 390 adventure and R3 (if budget permits). These two are excellent for long trips. Try to take longish test rides and then shortlist the options.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:24   #8
dvv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrasTurbo View Post
Hi TBHPians,

Coming back to the RR310, one of the major issues I feel is the lack of a good dealership network. Chennai's biggest and my current dealer, Ramkay TVS does not deal with the RR310. i have a good relationship with the service technicians here and the management here takes service complaints seriously. If any RR310 owner from Chennai can recommend any dealership, it would be helpful.

I'd recommend you go for the new RR310 and get it serviced at Dhira Motors, Valasaravakkam. I believe they also have another branch at Ashok Pillar. I personally find the Valasaravakkam service center to be extremely responsive to our queries and do the utmost to get it sorted. I own the 2019 RTR 200 and get it serviced there. Initially I got the service done at Ramkay, Adyar, however, after they screwed up the basic 1st service, I've stopped going there.

You'll find the service manager on the floor and very hands-on at Dhira Motors. Hope this helps!
Old 12th February 2020, 11:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tour quite a lot and top speed is not a concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyfire View Post
I recently purchased the RR310 in December 2019. It is an attention magnet.
May not be a big issue for most and may even be a positive for some. For me personally, I prefer a low-profile bike when I'm touring. To me the motorbike is the best way to explore lesser known roads and villages, so I often end up stopping for the night at random places and small lodges with no booking in advance and rarely with designated parking spaces. So a gorgeous bike that will have everyone fiddling with it, sitting on it, or worse is IMHO a disadvantage in such a situation.

Of course if the touring is well-planned with the night halts booked in advance with secure parking, then it should not be an issue.

Just something to consider if you tour a lot, off the main highways. Speaking from personal experience of having to drag the bike indoors at shady lodges, chaining it to an electric pole overnight and generally wondering if it'll be there in one piece the next day. And none of those bikes were even fancy like the 310! Of course, a plastic motorcycle cover will also help in such situations.

Last edited by am1m : 12th February 2020 at 11:46.
Old 12th February 2020, 13:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your valuable thoughts would be extremely helpful for me to decide.
KTM RC390 is an extreme bike for 95% of the population. Only those who don't mind the not very comfortable ergonomics for the trade off with superlative handling may like the RC 390. The ergonomics is spot on for someone who loves to get the knees down.

Definitely not a touring bike, at all.

If I were you, I will stay away from the TVS and go with the Duke 390 or the Honda CB300 R or the sweet interceptor 650. To my knowledge, both KTM 390s and RR310 share the same level of service costs. KTM will fetch you a far better resale though.

If you aren't very keen on acceleration and are happy with 110-120 kmph cruising, and also want a bike with fairing, check out Suzuki Gixxer 250. R3 is also a good buy but I just cannot come to terms with the atrocious pricing.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 12th February 2020 at 13:11.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:42   #11
BHPian

If I were you I'll blindly go with R3. Though the initial price you pay is high the experience you get with it will nullify it. Also it's a twin cylinder and maintenance cost is not so high compared to the competition. It's a proper faired bike, twin cylinder, very relaxed yet able cruising abilities will make you go for more tours.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
If you like the RR 310, why dont you look at the R15? Would save you a lot of money and will meet your needs. The RR310 will definitely be less fuel efficient than the Apache.
R15 and RR 310 are at least a segment apart. With double the power and torque not sure if the comparison is apt. R15 doesn't come with safety equipments either like dual channel ABS and infotainment is no match as well. Only similarity is sitting position and fairing.
Old 12th February 2020, 16:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Is it a worthy upgrade?
I own RR310 the first lot from Pune booked the next day of launch.

My service costs and total running of the bike so far:
1st Service 09/04/2018 447+672(oil) 1119
2nd Service 12/08/2018 629
3rd Service 06/02/2019 1877
Total 3625

KMS 9762
Insurance 4923(renew)
Mileage 27kmpl
Total Fuel 361.5555556
Fuel Price Average 76
Tyre change 11000rs(Diablo Rosso II)

Total Fuel Exp 27478.22222
Total Expenses 47026.22222

Expenses/km 4.817273327

Since this, I've added 4k km to make it 13000 and did another service for 2500rs and this month will add another insurance renew. I will try to put up the added KMs and costs soon.

Q: Now about if it is a worthy upgrade?
A: Actually, yes and no.

Let me explain, YES only if you are looking for what the bike is now, which means a 300cc class you can cruise all day at 110-120kmph and still have lots of juice to overtake trucks. Fun for weekend rides and a pleasure to corner.

And NO, because you'll outgrow it very fast as coming from RTR200, if the ultimate goal for UPGRADE is a liter-class or a 600cc, then you better go for RC390 the KTM will keep you on your toes and under its grips for longer.

As an addition if touring is what you seek then look no further and get the BS6 RR310 because the RC390 is not a tourer friendly, TVS have checked all the boxes and then some for that bike, wish I could own the BS6 variant just for the improvements but sigh can't buy two same bikes and also I'm planning for an upgrade soon.

Didn't mention nakeds as you'd prefer faired. Or else check 390 ADV or D390 depends on what you are looking for.

Apache 310rr spare parts price list

Side fairing 2500
Fairing holder 900 x2
Air filter 350
*Front brake pad 2020*
*Rear brake pad 1010*
Levers 980
*Headlight assy 30000*
*Mirrors 1000*
*Indicators 1080*
*Exhaust 23000*
Instrument cluster 4000
Forks 15000
Handle 2000
Handle weight 500
*Chain sprocket set 15000*

Last edited by Cartik5477 : 12th February 2020 at 16:16.
Cartik5477 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 18:35   #14
BHPian

Since you tour a lot you should also test ride and consider the RE Himalayan because of its touring capability, luggage carrying capacity and accessories. It has also become more reliable in its every new avatar backed by pocket friendly service and spares. If you want more power then the KTM 390 Adv is the one.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
R15 and RR 310 are at least a segment apart. With double the power and torque not sure if the comparison is apt. R15 doesn't come with safety equipments either like dual channel ABS and infotainment is no match as well. Only similarity is sitting position and fairing.
R15 does come with dual channel ABS as standard.

Most Viewed