Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 09:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Piaggio unveils Aprilia SXR 160 & SXR 125 at Auto Expo 2020

Aprilia SXR 160 arrives in showroom

Piaggio unveils Aprilia SXR 160 & SXR 125 at Auto Expo 2020-smartselect_20201220094129_chrome.jpg

Piaggio unveils Aprilia SXR 160 & SXR 125 at Auto Expo 2020-smartselect_20201220094143_chrome.jpg

Piaggio unveils Aprilia SXR 160 & SXR 125 at Auto Expo 2020-smartselect_20201220094152_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 14:54   #32
BHPian

I went to the showroom today to get a look. They had matt blue and matt black in the stock. Price is 1.55 on road . It does have a good road presence. Looks good in person like a big boy scooter. Underseat storage is 20L . But it wont fit a M size helmet. Seats are rather on the firm side. The switch buttons are ok quality wise. Display is good with adequate information. Bluetooth is available but even the showroom guys were not able to confirm the features that are there. Wheels even though 12inch are nice and broad. They fit the scooter well. Wanted to take a TD but it was not available. Exhaust note is ntorque like.... little throaty. Headlights are the showstopper. Nice LED DRLs. No accessories available at present. Just wanted to see the Glossy red in real so that i can make the decision to buy it or not. Overall seems a bit overpriced and because of that it is going to be a niche product.
Dr.Ameya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 16:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ameya View Post
I went to the showroom today to get a look.
Thanks for the feedback Doc.

Which showroom in Mumbai did you go to? Did they tell you when test rides would be available. Please do update if/when you test ride the scooter.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 17:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Thanks for the feedback Doc.

Which showroom in Mumbai did you go to? Did they tell you when test rides would be available. Please do update if/when you test ride the scooter.

Cheers
I went to AIMS ITALIA at sakinaka. They started receiving SXR160 since friday. The sales guys said that they already sold the red colored one and all that they had was matt blue and matt black. This particular showroom did not have any TD vehicles and they had no idea when it will be available . However there is another Vespa/Aprilia showroom at SV road , Goregaon which has probably got TD vehicles. There are already some youtube videos from the TD . What i noticed was that in those videos the speedometer seems to be disconnected and it is quite possible that this vehicle is not an official TD scooter. Some poor bloke is going to end up buying it not knowing the abuse that it might have taken before
Dr.Ameya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:34   #35
Team-BHP Support

First Ride report from ACI -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Aprilia SXR 160 starts arriving at dealerships

Piaggio opened bookings for the Aprilia SXR 160 earlier this month. The maxi-scooter has now started reaching dealerships ahead of its launch.

Piaggio unveils Aprilia SXR 160 & SXR 125 at Auto Expo 2020-sxr1.jpg

The SXR 160 was first showcased at the 2020 Auto Expo. It is powered by a 160cc, BS6-compliant, 3-valve, fuel-injected, single-cylinder engine. It produces 10.7 BHP and 11.6 Nm.

Piaggio unveils Aprilia SXR 160 & SXR 125 at Auto Expo 2020-sxr2.jpg

The maxi-scooter gets wraparound LED headlights, LED tail lights, full digital cluster, mobile connectivity option, adjustable rear suspension and disc brake with ABS.

Piaggio unveils Aprilia SXR 160 & SXR 125 at Auto Expo 2020-sxr3.jpg

Besides the Matt Blue shade seen in these images, the SXR 160 is also available in Glossy Red, Glossy White and Matt Black.

Source

Last edited by TusharK : 21st December 2020 at 11:15.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

More First ride reviews

Old 21st December 2020, 13:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
First Ride report from ACI -

https://Youtu.be/RBbtw5cgY6Q
When will these journos realize that looks are subjective and they are not here to tell us what a bike/car looks like. Most of us with the power of sight can see and judge it ourselves thank you. Wasting 3 whole minutes talking about what something looks like is a bit unnecessary me thinks. Review the product for what it is objectively..that is all your job is.

He just says there is "ample storage space" under the seat! What is "ample"? Will it fit a half face helmet? Or a full face helmet? Or 2 helmets? What about vibrations which were one of the major complaints on the sr160? No mention of that. What's the tank capacity and range? How is headlight beam strength?

Anyways , unfortunately or fortunately I bought the burgerman in January and have been happy with it's practicality and comfort, but it's highly strained performance wise. It really struggles after 70kph with it's 125ccs while my ten yr old 100cc activa zooms past 90 quite easily. This scoot with the bigger engine would have been my ideal daily but I still think it's a bit too expensive for what it offers and the build quality is still questionable . But then when activas are selling for a lakh and above I guess this is the new norm. Strange times indeed.

Comical rear tyre aside, I think the burgman is an elegant and more mature design Which I think will age well. The aprilia looks sharp from the front but looks a bit too slab sided from the err...sides.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:46   #39
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Anyways , unfortunately or fortunately I bought the burgerman in January and have been happy with it's practicality and comfort, but it's highly strained performance wise.
Your Burgerman (Ah that typo!) is a sane choice given the hard suspension SR150 had if only the suspension is Indianised for this SXR.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:43   #40
BHPian

but...

Do Maxi-scooters offer any significant advantages over regular scooters? Or is the difference purely aesthetic?

The asking price is quite high when compared to regular scooters. Yet Suzuki, Piaggio, and Honda (with the Forza) are introducing these machines in various displacement capacities in the Indian market.

So, wondering what exactly these machines are all about.
Old 21st December 2020, 16:16   #41
BHPian

I have the regular SR 150 from the 1st batch (2016) and I don't find any compelling reason to go for this. Aesthetics aside there is nothing new for me. I would go for a moto scooter if it is in the 300cc range.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 18:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxworkz View Post
but...

Do Maxi-scooters offer any significant advantages over regular scooters? Or is the difference purely aesthetic?

The asking price is quite high when compared to regular scooters. Yet Suzuki, Piaggio, and Honda (with the Forza) are introducing these machines in various displacement capacities in the Indian market.

So, wondering what exactly these machines are all about.
They offer a lot more room on the floorboard area, the handbars are pulled back so the reach is not so stretched out. The seats are wider and longer than a regular scoot which also means more underseat storage. Since it's sold for a premium over other scoots expect some bells n whistles like a glove box and 12v socket.

One feature I really like on my Burgman is the forward tilted foot rest. With your feet in a raised position I noticed you don't slide forward on the seat when braking, this means you don't have to constantly adjust your position and makes it a lot more comfy, specially with those big plush seats. The pulled back handbar means the turning circle is ridiculously small. I can make 90 degree turns in peak traffic and filter through. I think maxis scoots are better if you seek more comfort and practicality. I initially bought the burgman just for hopping around locally but now I use it even to go 20-30 Kms away and my bikes don't get used as much.

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 21st December 2020 at 18:06. Reason: Missed a point
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 18:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I have the regular SR 150 from the 1st batch (2016) and I don't find any compelling reason to go for this. Aesthetics aside there is nothing new for me. I would go for a moto scooter if it is in the 300cc range.
How is the panic braking behaviour in SR 150? My experience is not that great on my Vespa 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxworkz View Post
:
The asking price is quite high when compared to regular scooters.
It is may be due to the brand value it has coming from the motor sports background. Just like how a Titan watch which costs 12k and an almost similar featured watch of non brand comes for not greater than 2k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
What about vibrations which were one of the major complaints on the sr160? No mention of that.
It's mentioned in the ACI review that vibrations are non existent untill 90kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Damn it, why do you always do like this to the fellow members? Why don't you give anyone else a chance to share their part of updates? Jokes apart, good to see your post covering all the reviews in a single go
Old 21st December 2020, 21:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
How is the panic braking behaviour in SR 150? My experience is not that great on my Vespa 150
I had couple of instances of sudden braking albeit at slow speeds, both times the front wheel locked resulting in a skid, like just a feet or two. Due to slow speeds I was in control. Since there is no ABS it was expected.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 22:47   #45
BHPian

Ok so this might be unrelated to the topic but i noticed something that i think all prospective sxr160 buyers should know.
The reviews of all the major youtube and news channels came in today almost all at the same time. They all came in today because big companies put a sort of embargo on all reviewers to not release their videos until a certain date.
If you see the location of all the reviews they are done in Lonavala.
Another thing that i noticed in the motorbeam video was that the key or rather the tag that was attached to the key. It is from Della Resorts in Lonavala.
I have stayed at this resort so i know that they dont allow vehicles from outside on their property. You have to give your vehicle keys at the reception and then during your stay there they provide you with transportation on their property by golf carts or vans. When they take your key they attach a small Della tag with number on it.
Now this might be a stretch but it seems like Piaggio might be giving these reviewers a sort of kickback by lodging them in a five star resort. But hey those are the perks of the job and i dont have any gripes with that.
What i have gripes with is that when i visited the showroom yday i happened to notice a blue colored SXR160 which had the same Della resort tags. It was something odd which is why it kind of stuck with me. I cannot confirm if this was the same vehicle from the review videos but ....
Also you will notice in all the review videos is that there is not a single shot of the speedometer when it is being driven. This leads me to believe that the speedo has been disconnected for these vehicles.
I am some what convinced that the current batch of sxr160 that have arrived at showrooms are actually the same vehicles that have been used ( abused/thrashed) by the reviewers . In which case it seems rather dishonest of aprilia/Piaggio to do something like that.
Now all of this is just my supposition and I dont have any proof of this but it seems too good to be just coincidence for me.
PS The showroom guys where i went were a)Eager to unload the blue sxr160 which they had even though i had expressed my desire to see the red and blue together before making a decision. b) Had no idea how the bluetooth connectivity is supposed to work and the features c)Had no test vehicles but you can buy the one they had!! d) Did not give me a breakdown of the cost when i asked them for it (Ridiculous) e)They dont know when the next batch of vehicles will arrive.
...Or may be i have the tinfoil wrapped around my head to tight.
Dr.Ameya is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks