Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 05:12   #136

Default Re: New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
I have watched around 4-5 different reviews of the Hunter. Sagar Sheldekar, Dino, PD, Zigwheels etc. In every single review the following line has been said (paraphrasing)
"This bike is a way for new riders who want to enter the Royal Enfield family to get that experience at an affordable price"

A lot of reviewers have repeated this line. Now i understand that this is most probably a marketing tactic influenced by RE, and that's okay by me. What I'm trying to understand what RE means by "enter the RE family"? When I buy a vehicle, I care about the product itself and the after sales support I receive. I do not care about being "part of a family", whatever that means. So what exactly does RE mean by this? Are they trying to build brand loyalty? Hoping that today's Hunter buyers will grow up and buy Interceptors and Himalyans? Will they be organising group rides or something ?

I personally don't understand this concept. If the product is well made, well priced and well serviced won't people come automatically?
Dear Skyline, RE is kind of like the apple of Indian motorcycles (without the QC and "refinement")
an RE is a brand, it's an experience and there are 2 pillars to it.

1. The focused product line, you generally know what to expect when you get an RE (yes that includes the good and the bad). There's a lot of familiarity since it has a lot of memory since the British days. also it was really the only bike with very big proportions so naturally it got the SUV of bikes image.

2. They as a company really support group rides and "bike touring" a lot. they have a huge range of apparel (overpriced, but has their logo on it). There are a ton of RE exclusive rider groups it's crazy.

so there you have it. The hunter is a starter RE.
someone would buy Hunter when going into college. later they'll be very eager to book the interceptor when that paycheck comes in. or go the Himalayan way.
Old 12th August 2022, 06:47   #137
Senior - BHPian

No problem. You just need to install angled risers so the handle bar comes towards you
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Roc View Post
I felt like I was bending my back a lot to reach the handle bar. I am coming from Honda unicorn where the seating position is upright and more comfortable
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 07:15   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I would need a help from our fellow members in finalizing my next bike. I liked the hunter 350 and had a test drive today.

I felt like I was bending my back a lot to reach the handle bar. I am coming from Honda unicorn where the seating position is upright and more comfortable.
I had the same question when I rode the Hunter and the opinion is divided. Some say that angled lean forward position is the better one as there is better weight distribution.

If it is not causing you any discomfort then it is certainly a a slightly sporty position that encourages you to have fun on the Hunter.
Nimz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:39   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
"This bike is a way for new riders who want to enter the Royal Enfield family to get that experience at an affordable price"

A lot of reviewers have repeated this line.
IMHO, doesn't matter what RE or the journalists think. In my case, in 2007, I bought a used 1998 Bullet 350 (Right side shifter) during my college days and drove it extensively for few more years when I was working in India. Let's say I have had a fair share of my RE experience (long trips, broken cables, leaking oil, loose tappets, failed CB points etc.) for about 45-50k kms. Later I moved to a different country and was using the bullet only when I am in India. Because of scarce usage, I sold it last year. Let's say I stopped using motorcycles extensively the last 5-8 years.

Now I want to get back to motorcycling as a hobby here in NL and I don't really want to spend too much on bigger motorcycles. So I am looking for something in the range of ~4000EUR and I already shortlisted few models (Yamaha YSR125, Husqvarna Svartpilen 125 new or used 401). RE has a good market presence here in Europe and the launch of Hunter does put it in an interesting position for riders like me, who don't want to spend a lot, but just have a motorcycle for hobby. So I have added Hunter 350 to my shortlist and will wait until European launch and pricing.

I think simple small capacity motorcycles like Hunter 350 does attract a lot of riders from around the world, if priced right (just like in India).

Last edited by carthick1000 : 12th August 2022 at 14:44.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:54   #140
Senior - BHPian

So got to spend sometime with Hunter Today, here is my observation.

The bike was brand new and had run 90 Kms on ODO, I was infact the first customer to test ride the bike, as it was only ridden by Service Center staff till then and was still on TC number.

The first impression you get after you sit on the bike is that it is TINY, specially for a RE, I had just hopped on to it from my Interceptor and this looked like it's kid. I could easy flat foot as the seat height is low, now I am 5-10, so I am able to flat foot on Interceptor also, but this was another level.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6095.jpg

Next biggest surprise and pleasant one at that was the weight of the bike, it felt so light and was so flickable in city traffic, another revelation from RE stable. Sitting back on Interceptor after riding this for sometime I really felt that wish Interceptor was this weight, what a bike Interceptor will turn out to be.

Looks

Looks are subjective but I think it's a decent looking bike which will not excite or offend anyone, stance is good and paint quality is also good. Fit and finish is actually much better then Interceptor, the wires are tucked in properly and have sleeves to hold them together. The attention to detail is better then any previous RE product I have inspected before.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6096.jpg

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6097.jpg

Bike has a single side speedometer and shows quite a bit of information like, date, gear indicator, trip, fuel gauge and also has a fuel low level indicator. Twins miss out pretty much everything, I will happily swap this speedometer with one side of my interceptor. One gripe which I have is the font used for denoting speed, looks a bit cheaper, this looks better on the interceptor.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6098.jpg

I see in RE app under MiY that there is an option to add the Tripper, though shows out of stock now. If you add that it will make the front look more proportioned and also add the added functionality.

Build Quality

Build quality overall is acceptable, and the paint used atleast on the red bike looks premium, the test ride bike in black and gunmental looked average.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6103.jpg

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6104.jpg

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6105.jpg

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6106.jpg

Switch knobs are standard run of the mill RE stuff which is shared across models I think Classic 350 gets the same, could be a tinge better.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6099.jpg

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6100.jpg

The rear look, back rest though is not standard and needs to be purchased seprately.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6101.jpg

The Exhaust has grown short in size, but sound much better, good job RE.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6110.jpg

Seat Comfort

The seat is well contoured and i found myself sitting happily on it, of the short 10-11 Kms i rode it, I did not find anything bad to report, the rear seat is wide and pillion should feel comfortable, rest we will need to see long ride review, as Interceptor seat was not great for long rides at all.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6107.jpg

Notice Royal Enfield branding at the rear, looks premium.

The indicators look decent, and I like the tail light goes well with the overall design of the bike.

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_6108.jpg

Onr thing that is still baffling is use of halogen bulbs in the headlight, the world has moved on to LED, time RE embraces that too.

Ride Quality

Move the starter button towards right and bike comes to life witha nice bassy exhaust sound, exhasut note is something that will grab your attention quickly and is a very good balance of bass and pleasing sound. No where it gets loud but at the same time gives you a very good aural experience from a 350CC bike, RE engineers have really done a great job on this. For me benchmark was CB 350RS exhaust note in this segment, but I will rate the exhaust note in Hunter 350 a little better.

The vibrations though not felt on the feet are visible by the vibrating mirror, the rear view mirrors are one of the sore thumb in the bike as they are of flimsy quality and vibrate more due to quality then due to engine vibrations. This should be the first upgrade plan if any one decides to buy this bike, you can get bar end and touring mirrors from MiY app which are of very good quality.

Slot the first gear and bike moves ahead without any drama, the pickup is linear and the new engine that RE is using is very refined. The gear shifts are butter smooth and since this bike is new I did not expect anything less. You can work your way up the gears quickly and have fun while at it. The clutch is also light and would be a boon in city traffic, Interceptor clutch in compariosn is much harder. The nice exhaust note compels you to keep the gears low, something I am guilty of in Interceptor too, this will eventually make sure that your mileage suffers.

I took it in city traffic and the bike behaved beautifully, it was easy to manouver and flickable around in traffic and overall behaved exactly I would want a bike to behave in city. Braking is adequate and bike stopped without much of a drama. Again this was in peak bangalore traffic hours so no way was I able to push the bike and the fastest I could go was around 70, I tested the brakes on those speeds and they worked as expected. Bike builds up speed nicely and I don't think you will ever feel short of power within the city traffic. The new age RE engines are very refined and actaully takes away some of the pleasure and character from old school RE bikes. I am not complaining, but few might feel disappointed.

I was impressed with what I saw in short period of time I spent with the bike, Achilles heel of RE bikes is the electricals and we will have to see in long term how this bike fares, but the start is promising. Overall I think RE has another winner in his hands, the accessories are already up for sale, it's priced well starting from 1.9 to 2.1 lacs On road in bangalore, this bike will sell in good numbers.

TVS you should be worried about the Ronin.

Last edited by AtheK : 12th August 2022 at 15:05.
AtheK is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 16:15   #141
Senior - BHPian

One thing i forgot to write about was the Riding posture, I found it perfectly fine and personally think I can go long on this bike easily. Now a taller rider might struggle, but I think with the average Indian heights, the handle bar is placed perfectly.

The 17" tyres are also good to have and the alloys design is basic, which will not please or offend anyone. The 17" tyres should also make handling much better at higher speeds, that said I would like to see how this bike behaves at highway cruising speeds of around 120 while ridden constantly at those speeds. How relaxed the engine stays and how much are the vibrations that we will know shortly when people start coming up with real life review.

Now if RE can somehow listen to existing customers and do something about the Interceptor alloys please!!

Mods Request you to please merge the post as I was not able to edit the previous one.
AtheK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 16:37   #142
BHPian

I did test ride the Hunter today. I was really apprehensive about the rear set foot peg as I am 188 cms tall, however did not find that as an issue during the ride. The footpegs were just slightly rearset and hence, did not even notice the same while riding. However, I was not that comfortable with the forward lean riding position. While the bike felt light, easily flickable and smooth during the ride, at the end of the ride, I was feeling a discomfort on my shoulders, due to the low and wide handlebar. Hope the handle bar risers eventually will solve this issue. Also some how, I felt the suspension is OK and not that hard. Not very plush, neither very stiff. It is not at all unbearable like that of my Honda shine. Also in the city roads that I ride it, I felt the engine is more tractable than CB 350 due to shorter gearing. If the handle bar was slightly taller, I would have booked it today itself. Dealer mentioned a delivery timeline of 20 days. Will decide, once I test ride Ronin. (Ronin is available only in select premium dealerships, and the nearest one is 15 km away. Hence test ride of the same is getting delayed)

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_3423.jpg

New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-img_3425.jpg
sreejithkk is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
No problem. You just need to install angled risers so the handle bar comes towards you
Thank you for the inputs. Can you please help me understand the below

1. Are the angle risers are something like after market accessories?
2. Will it be possible for me to have this fixed and test ride once ?

Apologies if the above are some silly questions, I just wanted to have peace of mind after buying
Old 12th August 2022, 18:00   #144
BHPian

I have a few questions for those who have TD-d the Hunter 350:
1. Since the foot-pegs are rear-set, does the heel of your right leg rest on the exhaust pipe?
2. The ground clearance is a mere 150mm. Will it pose a problem while navigating broken roads?
Old 12th August 2022, 18:13   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressellian View Post
I have a few questions for those who have TD-d the Hunter 350:
1. Since the foot-pegs are rear-set, does the heel of your right leg rest on the exhaust pipe?
2. The ground clearance is a mere 150mm. Will it pose a problem while navigating broken roads?
1. No, Per my test ride I didn't face any such issues.
2. There is a you tube review in Tamil where they have tested the ground clearance with the pillion rider and the GC doesn't seem to be an issue.
M-Roc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 18:55   #146
BHPian

Any idea what is the service interval for Hunter.
Old 12th August 2022, 20:54   #147
BHPian

Quote:
2. There is a you tube review in Tamil where they have tested the ground clearance with the pillion rider and the GC doesn't seem to be an issue.
I watched the video and on some of those speed-breakers, the bash plate is mighty close the hump top. Many thanks for your input.
Dressellian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 21:37   #148
Senior - BHPian

After market accessory, yes. If someone in your riding group has installed one you can check it out
Quote:
1. Are the angle risers are something like after market accessories? 2. Will it be possible for me to have this fixed and test ride once ?
Attached Thumbnails
New Royal Enfield spotted; it is the Hunter 350!-screenshot-20220812-9.35.53-pm.png  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 10:41   #149

Is there a way to get the single-tone colors (of the retro) with dual-channel ABS in Hunter? Does MiY make it possible?
ityogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 15:22   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Any idea what is the service interval for Hunter.
As per the user manual available on RE site it is every 6 months. This is similar to the CB350 but the CB350 insists on an oil change every 6 months. Hunter needs a oil change only once a year.

Overall Hunter should be cheaper on maintenance costs as well.
Nimz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed