Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2020, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Aprilia SR 160 vs a 150-200cc motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Go for a motorcycle. Even a splendor will do wonders. Scooter may be relaxing and has a storage space but nothing beats a bike and the smile it brings while putting it in second gear even for 5 seconds. Buy a full face helmet with a fixed helmet lock on the back grip and a small non woven polymer bag for 20 rupees.

This is why I liked suzuki shogun, samurai, yamaha rx 100 and Honda cbz. Light weight bikes with an enormous punch, ideal for both city and highway drives. Why is every bike nowadays designed like a bull with heavy weight and heavy fuel tanks looking to destroy testicles? Then go to koyla restaurant on F.C road and eat kali mirch chooza with reshmi parantha or go to garden court restaurant and enjoy their pool side candle light dinner near chandni chowk, if both are still there. It's been a decade or so when I last ate there.

On the contrary I hate skinny malnutritioned looking bikes... I'm 6.2 and I dig big bulky bikes, IMO the machines should always be large and intimidating else it looks like we've installed a motor between our legs...
Old 23rd February 2020, 20:37   #17
BHPian

^^ Different strokes for different folks.

I'm 6 ft tall, and i like function over form. Local bikes these days have a lot of junkfood fat just gets in the way of fast paced fun. I mean the manufacturers could probably have saved a quite few kilos by making a skinnier exterior. That would make for faster, more fuel efficient, and more fun bikes.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 20:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Among two bikes with more or less similar engine type and capacity, give me the lean and mean one any day over the all show and not much go one! Nobody who knows his bikes will be intimidated by mere looks! I laugh at the presumptuous looks of the FZs (150) and even REs (350), neither of which can accomplish all that much more than my Splendor.

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd February 2020 at 20:57. Reason: Add content.
Gansan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:34   #19
BHPian

Awesome thread. I am in the same dilemma, and I don’t have a two wheeler at home for short runs. My memories keep pulling me back to 10yrs back at my 1st job with Pulsar 180, but now with a family I have to consider the missus as well and hence keep moving back and forth between the NTorq and bikes from apache 160 to Himalayan. Will keep watching to see what OP decides
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 06:22   #20
BHPian

I suggest to have a test ride of Bajaj avenger 220. An easy to ride low slung bike with decent power and torque and is perfect for a week-end leisure ride.

Comfortable rider seat, not that flumboyant and pocket friendly to maintain.

Aprilia - to me, it does not make much sense, except slight bigger wheels (14" vs 12") and more power, it does not offer any significant advantage over TVS Jupiter that you already own.

But, put aside all the suggestions, listen to your heart!
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 07:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

So this dilemma of mine has now created a contention with the SO. Her question: who is going to manage 2 cars AND 2 bikes ? My retort is that it hardy matters as she herself doesn't manage the servicing and general upkeep of her Jupiter on a regular basis ! And you can well imagine the counter to that.
I am also looking at the possibility of upgrading her Jupiter so that I get a bit more power and she continues to have her space. One of the possible choices is the Vespa 150 series. For some reason, I never got endeared to the Jupiter (it was purchased fully keeping my wife's preference only). I find it quite unergonomic and lacking in power. We previously had the Kinetic Sym Flyte, which was quite superior in my opinion.
With regard to motorbikes, I have test ridden the Apache 200 and the 160. I felt the Apache 200 had a good riding stance and felt more manageable than the 160 for some reason. Plus it has the dual channel ABS for better safety. The only drawback is the pillion comfort. Lets see how this wish of mine turns out eventually.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 24th February 2020 at 07:44.
Old 24th February 2020, 08:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Lets see how this wish of mine turns out eventually.
For your intended purpose, I think a 160 cc should be good enough. So, if you didn't like the Apache 160, please do take test rides of Yamaha FZ/FZ-S and Gixxer 160. My guess is pillion comfort would be better on the Yamaha twins, as they have a single (not split) seat for both rider and pillion.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 24th February 2020, 09:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

The one bike in the 150cc category that I find ideal and very balanced in all aspects is the good old Unicorn. I would suggest it if the saddle height is Ok for you. Especially the pillion seat. I am 5'9 with rather long legs, but the seat bothers me if I have to ride pillion. If lesser cc is ok, try the Shine/Splendor/Passion variants. If I were to buy a scooter now, I will buy the Burgman.

I too had my eye on the Aprilia for sometime. But finally I decided, as a cross between a bike and a scooter, it has the virtues of neither and the vices of either! I don't feel a crossover on two wheels makes sense!

Last edited by Gansan : 24th February 2020 at 09:15. Reason: Add content.
Old 24th February 2020, 11:44   #24
BHPian

It is better to have a bike than scooter, when you already have a scooter at home. Bikes are just better than scooters. They are more agile and engaging to ride. There are lot of 200 to 300 CC options in the market. I would suggest to avoid 150CC bikes. You will be craving for more power, once you get hang of a 150 CC. 200/250 CC should be ideal. From bumpe to bumper city traffic to open highways, it will be quite comfortable. Also reasonably fuel efficient.
Yamaha FZ 25, Apache 200, Duke 200, CBR 250, Jawa 42, Gixxer 250 are some of the better options. Happy shopping and Ride safe...
Old 24th February 2020, 16:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
So this dilemma of mine has now created a contention with the SO.
For your demands - very short distances, peak city traffic, errands a scooter is what will serve them.

A bike still requires you to shift gears, has limited storage (unless you install those side carriers which imo look ugly as sin) and in general will be a white elephant. I should know because I had / have an Apache RTR 180 on which I had ridden not even 5k kms in 10 years. Whenever I needed to run an errand or needed to travel a short distance and didn't feel like taking the car out of the garage...my Wife's Wego or Dad's Activa 125 it was.

The sheer comfort and joy of riding a scooter in traffic, with storage and loading for bear is far superior to chugging along on a bike.

Given the distances you will cover, I really fail to see how a bike, be it 180 cc, 200 cc or a 2,000 cc superbike will serve any purpose.

On scooters, the Ntorq is a brilliant vehicle, reliable, has ABS iirc, peppy and the go to for your needs.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 16:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I don't think NTORQ has ABS. Can you check and reconfirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
On scooters, the Ntorq is a brilliant vehicle, reliable, has ABS, peppy and the go to for your needs.
Old 24th February 2020, 22:21   #27
BANNED

I have Aprilia SR 150 and Thunderbird. Aprilia is small and very stiff suspension. Not practical at all. But, scooter is always way more comfortable than a bike. If you are keen towards scooters look for Burgman 125.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

For me, I was not able to understand requirement. Or, to put in other words, the requirements are not clear to the extent of deciding whether you need a bike or scooty. Some requirements points me that you are more oriented towards bike and a few shows you are fine with both.

Hence, I suggest you try to answer below questions to get more clarity
1. Is there a biker child within you who is fighting with you for a bike? Or is it just a commuting requirement for yourself?
2. Can you really live happily with current jupiter that you have, in case your wife does not need it at all(Assuming it wont create commuting problems for your wife)
3. What additional benefits you want to derive from having a bike ? and how needy are those benefits?

If you answer to yourself, probably, you get more clarity on whether you should go really for a bike.

Quote:
I have not yet thought of an office commute or weekend outdoor exploration.
Last but not least, above point need to be thought through before making a decision. Else, you MAY end up adding yourself to the list of "people" per below Quote by Clive Hamilton

“People buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like.”

Last edited by gkveda : 27th February 2020 at 08:43.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 14:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I suggest to have a test ride of Bajaj avenger 220. An easy to ride low slung bike with decent power and torque and is perfect for a week-end leisure ride.

Comfortable rider seat, not that flumboyant and pocket friendly to maintain.

Aprilia - to me, it does not make much sense, except slight bigger wheels (14" vs 12") and more power, it does not offer any significant advantage over TVS Jupiter that you already own.

But, put aside all the suggestions, listen to your heart!
Just to update y'all, I took a brief test ride of the Avenger 220 Cruise today. I got a sense that the bikes checked out so far ie, Apache 200 and Hero XPulse 200T may be a bit of a bother for pillion riding, hence took a shot at the Avenger. Its a nice bike once you get adjusted to the slanted leg posture. I had some difficulty in working the heel-toe shift pattern, but I was told it was only a matter of a few days. The Bike felt nice overall for the price. The only concern is the tube tyres which I see as a bit of a disadvantage. I am told that Bajaj has discontinued the Avenger Street 220 (which had alloy/tubeless tyres) in the BS 6 iteration. Is it an issue if the bike has tube tyres ? Because it would be absolutely down in case of a puncture, whereas a tubeless tyre bike can at least ride a bit till you reach the repair shop.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st March 2020 at 14:48.
Old 1st March 2020, 17:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The only concern is the tube tyres which I see as a bit of a disadvantage. I am told that Bajaj has discontinued the Avenger Street 220 (which had alloy/tubeless tyres) in the BS 6 iteration. Is it an issue if the bike has tube tyres ?
Yes, it is definitely an issue, in case of a puncture! Stranded with a punctured tyre is not a experience to relish! Repairing is also cumbersome.

I will suggest to stay with the option of tubeless only . Even REs are now available with tubeless. Please find, if avenger street is available with tubeless tyres in 180 cc iteration. Also please check with other Bajaj dealer if the information given to you about discontinuation of street 220 was true. Bajaj website is still showing that option.

Although, it does not meet your criteria, I say, give RE classic 350 a try, it has its own character.
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks