Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 18:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aprilia SR 160 vs a 150-200cc motorcycle?

Hi folks,

As mentioned in my replies to other posts in the Motorbikes section , I am looking out for a decent 2 wheeler to drive around Pune city areas (congested parts) on weekends and the occasional 5-10 km "run" around the suburb where I stay (Bavdhan) for small errands. I have not yet thought of an office commute or weekend outdoor exploration. However, I would like to have a two wheeler that is neither commuter-ish nor highly performance oriented (200 cc plus). I have not done much of motorbiking in many years now, and occasionally take out my wife's Jupiter, a scooter which I feel barely passes the performance muster while carrying the the two of us together. Considering my 'newbie' biker status, I zeroed in on the following options:
1) XPulse 200 T -decent specs, feels easy to ride, single channel ABS, decent seat comfort. Somehow this bike is a bit of a mystery. It is officially available from Hero, but none of the dealers are too exuberant about it in terms of stock availability.
2) Apache 200 RTR -Dual channel ABS, good specifications, neither sporty nor too commuterish. It does have an awkward pillion seating though.

Amongst the scooters, I simply cannot think beyond the Aprilia SR 160 (now launched as a BS-6 upgrade of the SR 150).
Considering my riding requirements and Pune traffic, I feel that the Aprilia may be good enough, but I somehow cannot resist the option of riding a proper bike.
I would like to know from fellow members whether it is worth going for a motorbike or should I stick to the Aprilia ? Somehow I am not keen on other scooters because of lack of safety features and small wheels.
Mileage, maintenance is not much of a consideration since my driving won't be more than 5000km per year. Would surely like to know your thoughts !
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Aprilia SR 160 vs a 150-200cc motorcycle?

I would say it all boils down to how much fun you want to have with a "proper bike". Have a look at something like the Yamaha MT-15 or Duke 200 or if that's not your style then you could even check out a used Suzuki Inazuma 250. If retro charm is what gets you then there's nothing wrong in a Bullet or Jawa even. These are bikes with character. They will always make you feel good.

Otherwise go ahead with the Scooty Although I have to warn you that the SR150 is not something that appeals to everyone. I loved it until a lot of my friends started owning them and I kept getting the opportunity to ride it. It really isn't much of a revelation and the only thing that impresses is me are the braking and acceleration for a scooty. The seating position is awkward almost like you are raked forward and knee room is non-existent. The Navi really impressed me ever since I first rented one in Goa. My friend owns a fully kitted out one (it shares the garage with a Triumph Tiger, a brand new Jawa and a really old 500 Bullet) and I use every excuse to take it. It is so much fun to ride and makes you wish Honda launched the Grom in India because that is precisely what you are after. The rest are just not exactly the same. Either you wind up with some floppy commuter bike or a scooty neither of which tug at your heart-strings

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th February 2020 at 19:32.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:37   #3
BHPian

re: Aprilia SR 160 vs a 150-200cc motorcycle?

The last paragraph suggests you want to own a motorcycle and that you are not too keen on Scooters. If you already have a Jupiter at home it's better to buy a motorcycle rather than buying the Aprilia then regretting it later. Between the Xpulse 200T and the Apache 200 i would any day choose the latter, the after sales is pathetic for both so no advantages in that front. If you are willing to spend a bit more money the Jawas and the Yamahas come in to the equation which are good motorcycles. It all boils down to you, take a test ride of all the motorcycle and choose your favourite one!
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 11:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Aprilia SR 160 vs a 150-200cc motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Considering my riding requirements and Pune traffic, I feel that the Aprilia may be good enough, but I somehow cannot resist the option of riding a proper bike.

I would like to know from fellow members whether it is worth going for a motorbike or should I stick to the Aprilia?
Looks like a typical heart v/s mind scenario. I doubt if anyone else, including Team-Bhp members, can suggest you the solution - unless you find clarity in your requirements.

If you can use the Jupiter for occasional city runs, I would suggest not to pick up the Aprilia - since your heart seems to be set on a motorcycle. I would skip the XPulse 200T though - it is destined to be a failure, a niche variant of a niche motorcycle!

Do also take a look at Suzuki Gixxer / Yamaha FZS. Both motorcycles feel very forgiving for a new rider, and can cope up once you get used to it as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th February 2020 at 11:23.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
As mentioned in my replies to other posts in the Motorbikes section , I am looking out for a decent 2 wheeler to drive around Pune city areas (congested parts) on weekends and the occasional 5-10 km "run" around the suburb where I stay (Bavdhan) for small errands. I have not yet thought of an office commute or weekend outdoor exploration. However, I would like to have a two wheeler that is neither commuter-ish nor highly performance oriented (200 cc plus). I have not done much of motorbiking in many years now, and occasionally take out my wife's Jupiter, a scooter which I feel barely passes the performance muster while carrying the the two of us together.

I stay in Wakad and was in the same boat few years ago when I bought the Aprilla in the launch week. Impulsive buy I would say. Eventually, you start feeling that it's not as plush for city drives. I've had a Wego in the past and I started missing the plushness of Wego. I would really suggest you take a look at the current-gen Access 125, Jupiter, etc also if you're looking at a moto scooter. I've heard amazing things about the Burgman also. The SR150 is not adored by my wife so much. She hates the high seating and has stopped using it completely. So if you have a similar case please ensure everyone can use and like the scooter. If you want something fun to drive I would suggest Atex 450x. I am thinking of it seriously and having seen some review of it it feels like an absolute blast. PLus the scooter gives you the convenience of running errands because it has good storage in the form of under seat storage.

I read a dominar review or a interceptor review everyday but at the end of the day go back to my trusty scooter every day for running around. Ather is the latest to catch my fancy .

BTW i still have my Apache 160 RTR , TVS Wego , if I feel like going back to them .

Last edited by Sheel : 21st February 2020 at 10:07. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
gautamkhadse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:33   #6
BHPian

With the kind of options we have out there in the market, it would be hard to finalize on a bike or a scoot with the kind of dilemma you are in. I guess first you’d have to figure out whether you want a bike or a scoot. From your usage pattern, it certainly looks like you can go for what your heart wants. Since you are not planning to use it for your daily office runs or weekend getaways, you probably want to make your heart happy with whatever time you’d spend on the saddle.

Why don’t you try renting all these on weekends and see which one suits your needs? Since you are not in a hurry to finalize the purchase, take your time, take the rented bike to all the likely nook and corner of the city you intent to take the bike and see which one works well. Live with it for a couple of days and then go back to see what you want.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 16:50   #7
BHPian

If you want ultimate comfort then the xpulse is hard to beat in that price/cc category.

If you want practicality and provided the roads in your town are smooth then have a look at the burgman. It's got lot of storage, is very flickable and a quality product. The aprillia doesn't age well , it is very vibraty and the stiff suspension means it starts to fall apart slowly.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 08:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Folks, thanks for your suggestions. I agree that the Aprilia has a stiff suspension and is not convenient or hugely ergonomic in its overall design. One of the issues I have with the other suggestions like Burgman, Wego and other equivalents is the small wheels. I felt that the Aprilia has the best size wheels which give better overall grip and impart the vehicle an 'almost' motorcycle like feel. That along with the ABS which sets this apart from all the other scooters in the market from safety point of view. That said, its again not a patch on a regular motorcycle's feel. My only problem with a motorcycle is the encumbrance of changing gears in Pune traffic.
Heart says, try out a motorcycle at least - Head says " why bother with the inconveniences ? ".

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st February 2020 at 08:54.
Old 21st February 2020, 12:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you already have a Jupiter at your disposal, why do you want another vehicle similar to it?

Go for a more performance oriented bike which makes you grin every time you ride it.
For bringing the groceries home role, you already have Jupiter.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 14:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

A power scooter is a great mix of practicality and power. I've been frustrated many times on the bike, not being able to carry stuff. The helmet box/charging point is a boon as well. The Aprilia ticks most boxes for you. Other than that there is the NTORQ (But small wheels)
Old 21st February 2020, 16:44   #11
BHPian

A scooter is always good for running small errands. There is a space to keep your vegetables, milk pouches, groceries, school bags, probably a gas cylinder . This you will find difficult to store on a motorcycle even if it costs 10 lakhs. So for sundry jobs , always a scooter.
indigo74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 12:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

One Scooter and one bike is family planning policy here in Pune But trust me, if you WANT a bike, don't settle for anything less. Scooter cannot satiate the desire of a bike, however powerful it might be. Plus, You have a scooter already. Test ride all the bikes you want and settle for the one which is most fun, you can get big discounts on BS4 versions.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 12:48   #13
BHPian

Given that your runs are so short, an Aprilia 150 should be perfect for you. Or any scooter for that matter.

I have done this analysis in the past. To make things simple:

Distance < 15km per day = buy scooter
Distance > 15km per day = buy motorcycle

Of course there are other factors such as density of traffic, free stretches available..etc
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 14:08   #14
BHPian

Please wait for Aprilia Sxr 160 cc, it would have all the features of aprilia SR 150 cc plus more space being a maxi scooter and expecting a softer ride quality which is the Achilles heel of SR 150 cc.
Stranger17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 14:51   #15
BHPian

Go for a motorcycle. Even a splendor will do wonders. Scooter may be relaxing and has a storage space but nothing beats a bike and the smile it brings while putting it in second gear even for 5 seconds. Buy a full face helmet with a fixed helmet lock on the back grip and a small non woven polymer bag for 20 rupees.

This is why I liked suzuki shogun, samurai, yamaha rx 100 and Honda cbz. Light weight bikes with an enormous punch, ideal for both city and highway drives. Why is every bike nowadays designed like a bull with heavy weight and heavy fuel tanks looking to destroy testicles? Then go to koyla restaurant on F.C road and eat kali mirch chooza with reshmi parantha or go to garden court restaurant and enjoy their pool side candle light dinner near chandni chowk, if both are still there. It's been a decade or so when I last ate there.
Sran is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks