Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 18:21   #1
BHPian

Hero MotoCorp showcases new 300cc+ adventure motorcycle concept

According to Autocar India, there's a 300+ cc mill in the works that will power a future iteration of X-Pulse . The highlights are
  • Capacity : 300+ cc
  • Liquid cooled single cylinder engine
  • Fi, 6 Gears, gearing suited for Adventure applications
  • Trellis Frame
  • Power in the region of 30+ BHP
  • Adventure / Enduro orientation
  • Switchable ABS

Hero MotoCorp showcases new 300cc+ adventure motorcycle concept-20200218021946_hero300ccprototypefront1.jpg

Hero MotoCorp showcases new 300cc+ adventure motorcycle concept-20200218021946_hero300ccprototyperear.jpg
Quoting from their article

Quote:
Hero MotoCorp has just showcased its new 300cc+ adventure motorcycle concept at the Hero World 2020 event. The prototype on display doesn't sport any bodywork, giving us a close look at the new platform and other bits that will make Hero MotoCorp's new ADV motorcycle.

The first thing you notice on the model is a new steel trellis chassis finished in the same red shade as the Hero Dakar Rally motorcycle. This will be the first Hero motorcycle to use a trellis frame and it will be interesting to see how it's set up.

A brand-new, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder engine (another first for Hero) will power the new adventure motorcycle. While Hero hasn't announced power and torque figures, we are told that the engine will displace over 300cc, but we believe it won't cross the 400cc mark. Hero won't be going for huge power figures like the KTM engines, but will instead focus on achieving healthy usable power from the motor. Power figures are likely to be above 30hp. The motor will be paired to a 6-speed gearbox, and we expect the gearing to suit the on/off-road applications of the motorcycle.

An interesting point is that Hero is currently developing its own 450cc, single-cylinder engine for its long-distance rally bikes that compete in events like the Dakar rally. This new engine is being developed alongside the Dakar motor and will definitely receive some technical inputs from that platform.

As for the chassis, the frame is a steel trellis unit with a bolt-on subframe. Hero has employed a thick USD fork at the front and a link-type monoshock at the rear. Suspension travel at either end appears to be generous, and this should translate to the ADV motorcycle being a capable touring/off-road machine. Keeping its off-road intent in mind, Hero has given the motorcycle tube-type wire-spoke rims, and says it could come with either a 19-inch or 21-inch front end. This leads us to believe there will be two model lines, similar to what Triumph has done with the Tiger 800 (now 900). The prototype is shod with knobby tyres and we expect Hero MotoCorp to fit the production version with a slightly more road-friendly tyre, like the Metzler Tourance.

The concept bike uses Bybre-sourced, radially mounted calipers at the front and a single-piston Bybre at the rear. ABS will be standard and we expect it to be switchable at the rear.

While these are the details of the motor and underpinnings, Hero hasn't revealed anything about the way the model is expected to look, the seat height, equipment, etc. They did, however, tell us that, like with the XPulse, there will be a priority placed on making sure the ergonomics are as accessible to shorter riders as reasonably possible within the confines of the design and intention of the motorcycle.

The Hero bike will certainly not go on sale this year but we expect to get more information towards the end of this year. Its too early to say, but a launch could take place in the second half of 2021 or even in 2022.

The new Hero is being built to take on the recently launched KTM 390 Adventure and BMW G 310 GS. It has the potential to be a great middleweight machine with some serious off-road ability, so much so that it might just end up being an Enduro/ADV just like the XPulse is. In typical Hero fashion, prices should be competitive. The wait has begun!
If this sees the light of the day in a reasonably quick time frame then KTM 390 Adventure & BMW G 310 GS probably have trouble on their hands. The X-Pulse is carving a niche for itself with its affordability, light weight, ruggedness and reliability (after a fashion). Coupled with it the reach of Hero and the goodwill it has earned as a manufacturer of rugged, reliable bikes will only ensure more footfalls in the dealerships and greater visibility for the bike. If Hero is able to churn out a bike which proves to be better on all counts that Hero X-Pulse is proving to be good at then it sure has a winner on its hands. (Now if they could only consider providing tubeless tyres on spoked rims à la V-Strom 650 XT, it would turn out to be a killer package).

KTM, Bajaj-Triumph & BMW would be watching the developments at Hero Motor Corp closely from now on. RE, on the other hand will just plonk the 650 cc mill in the Himalayan and (once again) laugh all the way to the bank !

Cheers !

Picture & article courtesy : Autocar India

Last edited by Ironhide : 18th February 2020 at 18:36. Reason: Spelling
Ironhide is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

Oh, my poor heart... Hero with all these hot reveals in one day. I like this bold new phase of hero. Even the passion pro looks so good I could be tempted to downgrade to it if I wasn't careful.

And this new adv concept, it lit my loins on fire. i christen it the XXXpulse. Hope they somehow manage to keep the weight within 160 kgs. Otherwise, we might have to call it the XXLpulse.

Wish TVS shook loose from it's preoccupation with the boring road racing shtick, and took inspiration from its years of MX and rally history to serve up some interesting competition with those 200 and 310 motors.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 18th February 2020 at 19:00.
drt_rdr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 18:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

You will have to keep those embers in your loin going until 2022 lol! This makes for a perfect second bike now. But the weight might exceed 160. The 200 itself weighs a portly 155?

This will go right up against the 250 adventure and the 410 Himalayan. The only thing I would wait for is that 'brand new engine' which is a first for hero to go through a bit of a grind before it gets a look at.

I have asked the mods to move this to a new thread. Its a whole new engine and platform.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hero MotoCorp showcases new 300cc+ adventure motorcycle concept

Mod Note: Hero MotoCorp showcases a new 300cc+ adventure motorcycle concept - Posts moved to a new thread.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 19:35   #5
BHPian

A lightweight, abusable yet reliable, and easy to maintain 250 is all I need (Sounds a lot like a first world spec dualsport from the Japs... I wouldn't mind paying 2.5-3L for a xt250 or 3.5L for a WR250R). If hero get the weight right, I could see myself settling for this.

Wasn't a 300cc concept roadbike showcased a few years ago? I'm guessing the motor has already been years in development, and will probably see release on a xtreme300r or something in the very near future.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 18th February 2020 at 19:38.
drt_rdr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 18:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Happened to meet a very senior Hero official (who also is an avid biker) recently, who confirmed that an Xpulse 300 is definitely in the works. Some details from that discussion:

- 300 CC engine (Duh!)
- Less than, but close to 40 BHP
- Will have the Rally kit as standard suspension
- Will use the Xpulse chassis
- Weight around 170 - 180 Kilos
- Expected to arrive Mid 2021
- Priced under 2 lac ex showroom. Around 1.8

The pic here seems to be from a stripped down Hero Dakar bike, not the 300 in the works
Urban_Nomad is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 02:14   #7
BHPian

I'm heartbroken looking at that kilogram speculation. This sounds like a budget Adv390. When can India get some decent power on an actual lightweight platform, without us having to tinker around?

Guess I'll stay with the impulse for some more years. Maybe I'll have to consider frankenstein projects seriously.

Note to mods: Please delete above double post.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 4th March 2020 at 02:16.
Old 4th March 2020, 06:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

170-180 kilos is way too much. Sounds like dry weight too. How has BMW managed to keep the weight of their bike so low for 30 odd hp? Granted they have a smaller fuel tank.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
170-180 kilos is way too much. Sounds like dry weight too. How has BMW managed to keep the weight of their bike so low for 30 odd hp? Granted they have a smaller fuel tank.
Try as I might, Im not able to draw the correlation between the speculated weight and your inference that it is likely to be the dry weight. What am I missing here? Or do you also have some insider birdie information
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Try as I might, Im not able to draw the correlation between the speculated weight and your inference that it is likely to be the dry weight. What am I missing here? Or do you also have some insider birdie information
Actually you might be very right. Hero mentions kerb/wet weight of the xpulse at 154 kgs. So this could be the wet weight of the bike at 170-180 kgs.

So KTM mentions 158 kgs as dry weight. Japs always mention wet or kerb weight in specs, and so does BMW. KTM does not

2 litres oil + 4kg battery + 14.5 itres fuel + 2 litres coolant = 22.5 kgs + brake fluid 500ml = 23kgs.

So kerb weight is 181

BMW 310GS is only 170 kgs wet!

But granted we are comparing euro 5 vs euro 4. The 390 adventure has a twin cat con set up. And we have about 3 litres more fuel or rather a 100 km extra range on the 390 adventure.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 11:11   #11
BHPian

Their setting up of R&D center at Germany is yielding results.

Related thread : https://www.team-bhp.com/news/hero-m...centre-germany

For a company that was once know for producing mass market clones, this is quite a leap forward.

Noob question alert:

Doesn't increase in weight lead to greater traction?. At least up a point?.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

No, lighter the better. Both for dirt bikes,and for 4*4 vehicles.

Weight is good only on the highway to maintain straight line stability during cross winds.
Old 4th March 2020, 12:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
2 litres oil + 4kg battery + 14.5 itres fuel + 2 litres coolant = 22.5 kgs + brake fluid 500ml = 23kgs.

So kerb weight is 181
If it's any consolation, it's not +23 kgs, more like + 17-20 kgs. Because weight of 1 litre of petrol =\= 1kg. It varies around 3/4th of a kg due to lesser density. Oil and coolant will probably weigh a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
It absolutely does help to an extent with grip over loose surfaces. But it comes at the expense of some amount of freedom of control over riding, which tends to be more useful. If you consider overall rideability offroad, lesser weight is generally preferable.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 4th March 2020 at 12:55.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
If it's any consolation, it's not +23 kgs, more like + 17-20 kgs. Because weight of 1 litre of petrol =\= 1kg. It varies around 3/4th of a kg due to lesser density. Oil and coolant will probably weigh a bit more.

Yeah specific gravity i just learnt is 0.7, so 14.5 litres is 10kg.

Kerb weight for the 390 adventure should therefore be around 176 kg. Not bad at all.

I wonder if the himalayan is advertised kerb or dry?
Old 4th March 2020, 15:05   #15
BHPian

Himalayan specsheet claims 199 kg with 90% fuel and oil.

Riding it offroad back to back with an impulse, impulse feels like a total toy, and so good and free, while you need to wrestle with the himalayan to the point that it feels like the bike is riding you rather than you riding it.

If you think 175 kg is not bad, it sounds like you probably haven't ridden a 160cc or below bike in a long time.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 4th March 2020 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks