Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Most Iconic 2 wheeler in India, Ever!
RD350/Rajdoot 125 26.21%
RX100 199 41.72%
HH CBZ (1st Gen) 31 6.50%
HH Karizma (1st Gen) 40 8.39%
Other - Kindly Mention below. 82 17.19%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 22:27   #61
BANNED

Re: The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post
Kinetic Comet (a good 165 CC which was a flop because of the mileage but a very good vehicle)
Wasn't that a 250cc VTwin?

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-comet.jpg

Very rare motorcycle even during its time.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 20th February 2020 at 22:28.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 23:27   #62
BHPian

I would like to recommend Interceptor 650 to this list. This has made the higher capacity bikes affordable. Probably the first twin cylinder bike from an Indian bike manufacturer. Most of the plaguing issues associated with Enfield's has been addressed in this bike. A perfect commuter bike. Mine was among the first batch and have competed more than a year of ownership.
Old 20th February 2020, 23:45   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Wasn't that a 250cc VTwin?

Very rare motorcycle even during its time.
V twin engine, front and rear disc brakes , upside down forks, perimeter frame. Is this bike even real? Never knew such a bike existed! thank you for the picture
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 23:58   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
V twin engine, front and rear disc brakes , upside down forks, perimeter frame. Is this bike even real? Never knew such a bike existed! thank you for the picture
It's actually a hyosung. And when it came out, all the auto mags were drooling over it. But it was more than a lac at that that point in time, and whatever examples I saw years later had aged very shoddily. Probably because of the kinetic piece in the puzzle.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 01:20   #65
BHPian

I owned 1991-Rx100 and 2005 Karizma (Classic) in the past and Rd350 was a dream machine for me, but its huge price keeps me away due to high demand in the used market for a decent one when compared against some modern 300+ cc bikes. It doesn’t matter without a second thought voted for Rd350.

My second option would be Karizma over Rx100. I was having a Kb100 also and I like Kb100's low end torque more than Rx100

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 21st February 2020 at 01:25. Reason: Added more info
Old 21st February 2020, 01:45   #66
BHPian

I believe it was in mid 80's that the two wheeler market just started warming up in India. Suzuki was among the first MNC to enter our markets as a JV with Sundaram Clayton limited. The AX100 was the first offering made under the brand name Ind-Suzuki. With simple but supremely reliable mechanicals, easy to ride, run and maintain, the AX-100 was quick to catch up with masses. The JV was later renamed as TVS Suzuki and the AX-100 continued to sell in our market under new name AX-100R. The Suzuki was however, dethroned by the mighty CD100 which became the new king for under 100CC category of motorcycles. .

My vote goes for the CD 100

Hence voted for others.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 21st February 2020 at 01:47.
Old 21st February 2020, 02:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

If you put a gun to my head and ask me to answer, I'd say the RE 350/500s. Back in the day, they were the workhorses for most people in villages- from the police to the milkman, everyone had one. How is a motorcycle not iconic if it sells in large numbers even with questionable/shoddy build quality and a design that is a few decades old.

Other notable mentions:
1. Bajaj Chetak - the scooter that gave most middle class families mobility
2. Yamaha RX 100 - Need I explain?
3. RD 350- Need I explain?
4. TVS Scooty - The one vehicle that gave women mobility. Sunny was the first, but Scooty sold in large numbers
5. Bajaj Pulsar- Making motorcycles cool and desirable while not burning a hole in your pocket.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 07:33   #68
BHPian

My take on this is RD 350 and Rx100. I could not buy RD 350 but I did buy a Rx135 which I still own. Below is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-20200125_191836.jpg  

CarBot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 08:09   #69
BHPian

I am really, really surprised that the *original* Royal Enfields aren't on the list. The title of this thread reads "iconic". That's the motorcycle that started so many things in our country, and over the decades, it has done it all. It's no wonder that people from other countries have a dream of riding a Bullet when they come to India. That's the icon, that's the motorcycle that represents motorcycling in India, like it or not. Make no mistake, I'm no RE fan. In fact, despite having a Classic 350 in the family, I am extremely vocal about some aspects of the brand.

The RD350 is a legend. It taught India what a performance motorcycle should be like. But do take note that it never sold in huge numbers. It can very much be the most favourite two stroke to have landed in our shores, it's the obvious choice there. But what about the R15 V1- the bike that actually gave birth to so many enthusiasts and racers? In the same way, the Gen 1 Duke 390 is a legend as well, for a myriad of reasons. But if it had to be one two wheeler that is the most iconic in our country, it is still the Bullet.

The better way would be to have a list of the motorcycles that came and changed the game, in their own way. It would include all of the bikes that are being talked about in this thread, and then some more. Take the case of the Hero Impulse for example. People who don't ride off road discount it as a silly underpowered bike. But before the XPulse arrived, it was the only budget option to actually go off road. And people did! Rallies, motocross events, dual sport riding, they did it all.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 21st February 2020 at 08:10.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 10:03   #70
BHPian

Maybe not as iconic as most of the vehicles mentioned here, but the Honda unicorn was a really great machine. Poor marketing and targeting the wrong crowd ensured it would never reach the popularity levels of its only real rival at that time, the pulsar. While pulsar positioned itself as a hooligan bike for college students, Honda marketed the unicorn as a reliable commuter for professionals. Even though it had almost identical power and torque figures as the pulsar, it was never a bike that anyone dreamed of buying. It never had that coolness factor. It was the first mass produced mono-shock bike in India and with its mileage figures of 55-60 kmpl, was a good touring option for those who couldn't afford the Karizma which cost almost 30k more back in 2004. Seeing that it has lasted almost 2 decades without any major styling or performance upgrades and is still selling in decent numbers, the unicorn might attain cult status in 7-8 years
Attached Thumbnails
The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-images-7.jpeg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st February 2020 at 13:53. Reason: Typo corrected
windrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 12:32   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+1.

'Bullet' is the most iconic Indian motorcycle for me as well.

I too agree and strongly believe BULLET is the most Iconic.
This name has pan India appeal, from elders to youngsters everyone knows/heard BULLET bike.
The lust for the bike is throughout from north to south India with countless riding group.
This bike has put Ladakh on map(also credit goes to 3 idiots).
A temple (Om Banna: The Bullet Baba Temple) for the bike ? Check.
Army uses it both in service and shows.
Yamaha series are all rounders, mechanically sound hence it is popular among enthusiast only (but those 2 stroke fumes does hurt lungs, better to retire older ones now).
The origin,spirit of the company Royal Enfield is very well known.
It maybe old/outdated/overpriced now , but it is built like a Gun.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st February 2020 at 13:52. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 21st February 2020, 13:34   #72
BHPian

My Vote Goes for the RD350. Though I never owned it, Had been fortunate enough to ride it at multiple occasions and that mad acceleration blew me away. With the skyrocketing prices of this beast, I know I will never be able to afford one and that's where the Rx's come in for us middle-class people.

Last edited by utkarshshukla92 : 21st February 2020 at 13:58.
Old 21st February 2020, 14:39   #73
BANNED

In my opinion, Bajaj Pulsar 150/180 is true iconic bike in India. Since its launching till today, pulsar is one of best seller in its category.
Old 21st February 2020, 18:09   #74
BHPian

As the one I had owned, my vote is for TVS Suzuki Shogun. (Others category)
It has raw power, superb firing and one could do numerous customizations.
Oh, yes. Its ads were catchy too.
It was my first bike after 2 successive Kinetic Hondas. Although it was a used one, it was quite well maintained. My brother and I got some customizations done from a Navi Mumbai based mechanic.
There are numerous memories associated with it including my first intercity bike ride. It was really an emotional moment when we sold it off.
Have ridden Yamaha RD350 and RX100 as well and are really nice bikes. but Shogun preceeded them
You can see the photos and share what you feel. Good, bad, ugly.. anything.
Attached Thumbnails
The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-dsc00245.jpg  

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-dsc00246.jpg  

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-dsc00247-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Orange GTX : 21st February 2020 at 18:10. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:47   #75
BHPian

I have voted for others as we are missing 2 or 3 key 2 wheelers to the voting list...

1. One and only ROYAL ENFIELD BULLET 350... I don't need to say anything more... whatever the today's classic 350 & 500 sales volume, the chassis design is 1940s and it should be told that one of the longest selling designs of 2 wheeler. Yes, I do have one 1988 model one which requires my regular DIY work to maintain it in good running condition.

A couple of snaps with the old and new together with my office colleagues, when we went on a day trip to Mekedatu
The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-img_20160625_1311581.jpg

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-img_20160625_132109.jpg

2. How can we miss TVS-50 & XL? The 50cc 2 stroke moped which brought the 2 wheeler to masses. I learnt driving the powered 2 wheeler in that and we still have my mom's in our village home. I can never forget the max speed limit and hitting it or on some occasions crossing a bit more... 60KMPH is A LOT those days (30 years back). This vehicle gave so many people freedom & lively-hood. My mom was a teacher in a village and the only option of going by bus is to reach the school by 8 AM and wait for others to join past 9 for a 930 am school or ride a bicycle (~10 KM One way). then came the reasonably affordable TVS 50 and we bought one 2nd hand and she learnt to ride the same and when she got her license and started going in it, she was one of the first ladies to be on the 2 wheeler in town. I can say with confidence, if you go to the rural part of Tamil Nadu, there will 1000s of such stories.

Here is a photo of the moped from our forum itself -

3. Bajaj M80 - I believe this is HONDA CUB's Indian version which sold like anything and was used and abused to the core by so many people. This is certainly an ICON in my opinion not just for India but also for the whole world.
BrakingBad is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks