Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 10:55   #16
BHPian

Re: 2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 FI - Ownership Review

An update on the console issue. My friend escalated it and I received an update saying the replacement will be done this week and asked for my preferred ASC. Gave them and was told to wait until I get a call from the ASC confirming the appointment to change it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Zack wants to know your location, and he would be testing at level 6 and level 7!
Haha! I'm grateful that he's not in the automobile scene. Else, he would be like "There are no pull tabs on the engine case and its sealed shut with powerful glue"
vijai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am in a bit of a quandry which i have posted in another thread. I have test driven the Apache 200 briefly, and I liked everything except the rear pillion. Thats one reason why I am looking at alternatives like the Avenger220 for example. How comfortable is the Apache 200 pillion seat for women ?
Old 4th March 2020, 13:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am in a bit of a quandry which i have posted in another thread. I have test driven the Apache 200 briefly, and I liked everything except the rear pillion. Thats one reason why I am looking at alternatives like the Avenger220 for example. How comfortable is the Apache 200 pillion seat for women ?

Hi, fellow Apache 200 owner here. Pillion seat of Apache is very wide and whoever sat on it gave me a compliment that the bike is built for long distance riding. But as soon as I get going, the harsh suspension hits them and jolts their spine. They immediately start complaining about the bumpiness of the bike. Be extra careful with potholes and speed breakers. I don't know if it is just the case with Race edition or even the normal RTR 200 have this problem.

Another problem is that pillion seat is placed very high. They complain that it is hard to climb and dismount. But once seated, they compliment me on the good view they get of the road ahead and other road users. They can also see the speedo and compliment on how good it feels to be able to read the speed so well.

This has been my experience with ladies on pillion so far
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 10:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Pillion is definitely not for aged or aging people. Lack of footrest on saree guard is a sure deterrent for such people. My mom was obviously disappointed at the difficulty of climbing. And the woes don't stop there. The footrest is too small for saree clad ladies to rest their legs and one leg has to hang out. One solution to solve this is to fit a rtr 160's footrest on saree guard as suggested by another bhpian which I'm yet to try.
Old 13th March 2020, 11:26   #20
BHPian

Can someone suggest me an adjustable clutch and front brake lever for Apache 200? I do not know of any brands nor if the levers are universal. So any brief about the brands and how to choose one would be great too
Old 9th June 2020, 21:00   #21
BHPian

The long-pending update is here.
Synopsis:
1. PPF installed
2. Console replaced Again!
3. adjustable clutch lever installed
4. 2nd Free service done!

1. PPF Installation on 01 March 2020:
Installed PPF from The Detailing Mafia for the tank, under seat side panels totaling to ₹7,673.60 for a total of 13.95 sq.ft of ppf. 1 sq.ft is priced at ₹550.
1. Tank - 9.952 sq.ft (₹5,473.6)
2. Under seat panels - 4 sq.ft - ₹2,200

Review:
To be honest, my satisfaction was very much short-lived - Only until I drove out of the store. Came back home and on inspection, found numerous air bubbles, the cuts are always short of the actual size of the panel and there is literally no wrap-arounds. A Place under the pillion seat has a big unpatched area and on asking was told the sheet doesnt stick there although the other side was just fine. For the air bubbles, I was told that it takes a week's time for the bubbles to go away. Took the bike back after a week to see them just put a pin hole with a razor blade to squeeze out the air bubble. As of today, there are still numerous air bubbles in many places. I'm not really satisfied with the place and I'm not visiting them again for the not so perfect work but still charging a high premium.

Photos taken at the shop:
2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 FI - Ownership Review-mvimg_20200301_162028min.jpg

2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 FI - Ownership Review-mvimg_20200301_162144min.jpg

2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 FI - Ownership Review-mvimg_20200301_162413min.jpg

Someone viciously scrapped off with a key:
2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 FI - Ownership Review-ppf_torn.jpg

2. Console Replacement on 16 march 2020:
The console had issues with the display once and was replaced. Within a week, the new console also failed with the secondary smaller display going weak at times. It would decide to go barely visible and would fix itself once I restart. I took a video and sent it to the same person who sent the console from Head office last time and this time, he told that he'd be personally visiting service center of my choice along with a team from the display manufacturing company (Continental). They scheduled the date the next week and came to Chennai to fix the issue. Was told will take some time and they would drop me at my office and would also bring the bike to my office once its ready. Well, what else could be more important than seeing a bunch of mechanics dissecting the bike and an opportunity to learn how things are done? Politely refused they dont have to trouble themselves and I'd be a silent spectator.

They quickly ripped the console and side pannel to get access to the OBDI port and connected it to do the diagnostics. After pulling out data and 3 hours of brainstorming with 5 engineers from Continental and back and forth calls to their office, they told there is nothing thats suspicious and nothing has been logged. Again after several hours of discussion while parking the bike in the scorching sun since they had a doubt that the issue could be because of excessive heat and by evening the issue wasnt reproducible. The person from TVS informed me they are putting the issue on observation and would replace the console if this happens next time. I was convinced by this time it could really be a one off issue and agreed. I do not know what changed their mind while the mechanic was bringing the bike to road (the service station was on 1st floor), the continental people told they are going to replace the console The reason they gave was, since its 2nd time from the same batch they wanted the unit to be taken back for detailed analysis. The console was replaced and until today, no issues faced.

2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 FI - Ownership Review-img_20200316_125933.jpg
ODBI reader connected

2020 TVS Apache RTR 200 FI - Ownership Review-img_20200316_184101.jpg
New console ready for installation - Fresh from factory

3. Adjustable Clutch Levers
One of the queries I asked in this thread was regarding adjustable clutch levers. Since there was not much attention here, I opened a thread here (Compatible adjustable levers for my Apache 200) and with the help of Mr. Ashwin, it was neatly done with quality parts and my first DIY is complete! All the details are logged here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4805917 (Compatible adjustable levers for my Apache 200)

4. 2nd Free service
Amidst the lockdown and the bike not seeing the tarmac for few weeks, comes the 2nd service due. I had barely clocked 1400kms and sending the bike for services wasnt of my interest. Sent a quick mail to the support since the SVC weren't open anyway at the time I sent a letter. Received a call saying all the services are extended until june 31 and there would be no issues with the warranty. My brother had to travel to office and I gave him my bike so it would run a little before the service.

Today, decided to get the service done since I felt there would be last moment rush in the SVC towards june end.

Km on ODO: 1890
Issues reported: Terrible squeaky noise from the rear disk brake which is existent since before the 1st service and no amount of cleaning fixes it (it was cleaned at 1st service and once again sometime in March), lack of bite on the rear brake (was more like a worn out drum brake), improper wheel axil alignment and engine stall during morning starts.

Denied all optional services like their ₹360 "teflon coat" which is nothing more than 3m waxing, engine oil change etc. Expected time given was at 4pm and at 5pm since I didnt receive any calls went in to check and they told the bike is ready but the system is down so they could not close the job card. I had denied their chain lube earlier and told I'd bring my Motul C2 since they charged absurd ₹190 for one time use lube. On reaching gave the bottle to them and the bike was brought down and the lube sprayed in front of me.

For the brake, when I inquired, the mechanic told the brake pads has to be replaced but its not in stock and a lot of items are stuck in transport for past 2 months. He told it would be replaced in warranty once it arrives and asked me to check in 2 weeks. What is more happier than getting something replaced in warranty without putting up a fight Guess paying generous hefty tips previously serves the time. Tipped again and zoomed out.

oh, the bill? I forgot it too xD Went back and sheepishly apologized for "running away" and they told sir there is no due and bill amount is ₹0. That's when I realized I couldn't have gotten away without paying anyway since the job card is handed for delivery only once all dues are cleared. At the end of the day, I'm a happy TVS customer.
vijai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 10:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
Present: Apache rtr 200 4v fi BS6.
Helllo Vjai, first of all hearty congratulations on your Apache RTR 200 4v fi BS6 I guess you might have celebrated its first anniversary by now. I would like to know your experience with your RTR for the past one year:
  1. Did it live upto its expectations?
  2. Would this bike serve me well if I have to ride 40kms daily and around 100 kms on weekends?
  3. How is the fit, finish and reliability of the components?
  4. Is an upgrade of tyres necessary or the stock ones are good enough?
  5. Any other bikes you would suggest me to consider before signing the cheque for RTR 200 4V?
Your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
  1. Did it live upto its expectations?
  2. Would this bike serve me well if I have to ride 40kms daily and around 100 kms on weekends?
  3. How is the fit, finish and reliability of the components?
  4. Is an upgrade of tyres necessary or the stock ones are good enough?
  5. Any other bikes you would suggest me to consider before signing the cheque for RTR 200 4V?
Your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Hi AutoIndian,
Yes, we celebrated the 1 year of togetherness and it has been an amazing rollercoaster ride! Quirks and repeated issues but always promptly resolved by TVS.

1. Yes, did definitely lives upto my expectation with me clocking 10k km recently.
2. It could handle 40km/day easily and so does 100km. I have been making frequent 200Km one way drives these days and it does perform consistently. Although, for longer rides, the seat isn't so comfortable and I bought a air seat to extend my riding range without taking a break.
3. Stock TVS tires, a big NO for wet grip. Get your upgraded to Pirelli which only costs a few thousands more when you opt for it in TVS when you book.

Few other things you should know:
1. Unlike previous RTRs, the vibration is so drastically reduced but is still felt ever so slightly on higher RPM but could easily be ignored by riding pleasure you get and the engine beat.
2. Since the whole of bike's body is made of fiber, when ever you make big movements on the seat, the tank cowl makes squeaky noise and same applies for other parts but there is no rattle on any speed/rpm so far.
3. RTR and chain noise is always a better love story than twilight. You must learn to ignore it before it starts to grow on your nerves.
4. Lack of 6th gear will pinch you if you are a person to likes to cruise at 100+. This is the biggest disadvantage I have come across in this bike so far. 6th gear would make this bike so much better for long rides instantly.
5. Do not buy the bike for its SmartXonnect. It is nothing more than a gimmick and MapMyIndia is poorly updated and expect frequent disconnections with your phone if you happen to have OnePlus phones.
6. Pillion riding comfort isn't good. For a aged person, its worse and couldn't get more worse for a aged lady/saree clad lady to climb on.
7. Maintenance is cheap and most TVS service centers around me are bad until I started tipping the mechanic for every service and mine now receives a salon experience every time I visit the service center.

I recently, went on a 3 day tour from Chennai-Kaniyakumari for the new year and the bike held up really well with consistent performance and reliability. covered about 800km on the last alone and the ride was a cake walk (of course because of the air seat )

As for other suggestions, the only ones worth considering according to me are FZ25 and MT15
vijai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
Hi AutoIndian,
Yes, we celebrated the 1 year of togetherness and it has been an amazing rollercoaster ride! Quirks and repeated issues but always promptly resolved by TVS.
Thank you vijai for your quick response, I wasn't expecting such a lightening fast response, very much appreciated That is why no one else can beat TBHPians. Very honest feedback I must say

Quote:
As for other suggestions, the only ones worth considering according to me are FZ25 and MT15
Thanks for that suggestion as well. But then both the Yamahas command a huge premium

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks