Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2021, 13:13   #76
BHPian

Re: My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust

Its update time for posterity's sake:

1. Do you regret the XPulse 200 after a KTM Duke 390?
Ans - I made a video to answer this question. I've tried to answer this before and I will do it again. I have a fondness for roads that go nowhere. I see a side road and I wonder where it leads. The Duke 390 is an excellent highway tourer but it's not really a bad road exploration machine. Its not that I seek out bad roads but they tend to be everywhere in the Himalayas, and the Xpulse is better suited for the job.

2. Updates on the fully-synthetic oil?
Ans - Yes so after about 500 km on good to bad roads. The gearshifts are definitely smoother. This is a big thing here in the mountains because you're constantly shifting gears. So that's a big plus. I haven't noticed a significant performance/mileage increase, unlike what some people claim. The vibes have smoothed out in between the 6500-7000 rpm range. So yes, if I had to suggest only one upgrade on the bike, this would be it. I'm not promoting one brand over the other but as long as it's 10W30 I think fully synthetic is worth the extra 500 rs / oil change.

3. Any new shortcomings on the Xpulse 200?
Ans - Yes.
The side stand is not as robust as it should be. My bike has already been blown over once, vrwakibv the handle bar end, which is simply a piece of plastic and not weights like I thought then to be.

After my first oil change, I had a more than average metal shavings on the drain plug magnet, which leads me to wonder about the longetivity of the engine.

Taking off the saree guard leaves the plastic chain cover loose, unless you secure it with a smaller nut.

Looking at the rear sproket teeth, the chain and sprocket won't last me beyond 15k.

The black rim paint will need redoing in a couple of years.

4. Any planned upgrades?
Ans - Yes a project 83 rear rack and a custom bag to sit on it in the works. Will hold my spares, tools and other daily ride essentials.

I'm still undecided on a centre stand. Undecided as I need the ground clearance but it makes cleaning and servicing, especially working on the chain so much easier.

One from yesterday's ride -
Attached Thumbnails
My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-20210129_123809.jpg  

antihero is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:28   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
The side stand is not as robust as it should be.
I agree on this - the side stand is very anxiety inducing.

Everytime I park it leans into the side stand and I need to trust that it will hold.

I thought of getting the longer side stand from the rally kit - but the dealer's telling me that they can't get individual items from the rally kit and that I'll have to order it all.
playingpossum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 14:15   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

I see you are using the garmin etrex. Do you actually spend time loading the gpx file on it and then riding out? I think a separate post talking about this would be great. Depending on how well you explain, I would be keen to have the mods move it out to a separate thread if we have a discussion going. Hint hint.

I have an etrex20.
Old 19th March 2021, 21:15   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingpossum View Post
I agree on this - the side stand is very anxiety inducing.

Everytime I park it leans into the side stand and I need to trust that it will hold.

I thought of getting the longer side stand from the rally kit - but the dealer's telling me that they can't get individual items from the rally kit and that I'll have to order it all.
Infact my local Hero dealership appears (or convenient ly chooses) to refuse the existance of a rally kit. While thexquality of "ASS" is pathetic across brands, this lack of knowledge sure qualifies for the "ass" moniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I see you are using the garmin etrex. Do you actually spend time loading the gpx file on it and then riding out? I think a separate post talking about this would be great. Depending on how well you explain, I would be keen to have the mods move it out to a separate thread if we have a discussion going. Hint hint.

I have an etrex20.
I have an etrex20x too. No I do not load tracks on it for rides but I do record offbeat tracks and uploadvthem to Open Street Maps. Been a long time contributer there. It helps that the Garmin has a full day battery life and is water resistant.

Now on to the crux of upgrades. I've had 3 done so far. All from Project 83x.
1. The rear rack (most practical upgrade)
It allows for a max of 5 kgs according to their instructions but 5 kgs is sufficient for all my tools and even a mechanical foot pump (when needed). Extremely oeavticsl sndcwell designed.
2. Tail tidy (only for looks) improves looks in my opinion from a commuter-ish rear to something a bit better. Also causes spray to come up onto the rear rack. Only for asthetics. Had no practical application. But hey it's a bike looks are important. It was a pain in the beep to get the rived numberplate off. Had to cold chisel it's rivets and attach it to the tail tidy with size 10. bolts.
3. Aux lights clamps (wishful thinking) forvthe time if and when I buy aux lights. For now I've adjusted the headlamp (only needs a size 8 tubular spanner) using the 2 bolts and its dialed in perfectly. The low beam for uphills and the high for downhills. No straights where I live. But if and when I do decide to get some el cheapo lights from anaxon they can go straight here. Maybe a pair of fog lights for monsoon fog and winter snow later this year.

Have had these upgrades for the last 2000 km and they have worked well so far. Value for money and decent build. None of these accessories require any cutting or drilling which is what drew me to them in the first place. Only the tail tidy supplied bolts stripped threads on installation but I always have good quality brass 10 no bolts at hand.

Now on to some better tank graphics and more trafel takes from the Himalaya.

And some before and after pics
Attached Thumbnails
My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-20210318_100143.jpg  

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-20210318_130315.jpg  

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-20210218_181111.jpg  

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-20210218_182300.jpg  

Last edited by antihero : 19th March 2021 at 21:18.
antihero is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 00:42   #80
BHPian

I just bought a Xpulse 200 this week. In fact, waited for launch of the Honda cb200x and announcement of the features and pricing. Unfortunately, what I found was that it's just like a Hornet 2.0 on stilts. So, home came the Xpulse 200. Rode it back home for almost 160 kms and here are few queries....
1. What is the engine running in duration and procedure for the Xpulse?
2. The seat seemed very hard on long ride and my backside was almost numb during the break after 100 kms. Any suggestions for upgrade or mod.
More for later.
Old 22nd August 2021, 10:32   #81
BHPian

Congrats aviator1101! The Xpulse is a thing of beauty. No comparison to the 200X.

Modern bikes don't really need a run-in, so I didn't bother with any. This is a personal preference though, some people for example like to change oil at 50 kms, never done that either. Do what feels best to you, won't make any big difference.

Yes the seat is pretty bad, but then again I don't think it's meant to be sat in for too long. Xpulse is not a tourer in my opinion. Rather than modding the seat, might be a better idea to buy some cycling shorts. They do make a real difference in backside comfort.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:34   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Modern bikes don't really need a run-in, so I didn't bother with any. This is a personal preference though, some people for example like to change oil at 50 kms, never done that either. Do what feels best to you, won't make any big difference.
I'd second that.

As for the 50~150kms(500kms in case of Bullet) oil change, it is only relevant to confirm whether you need to claim warranty or not, I personally do change that early to make sure whether I need to claim warranty or not, cause the metal debris in the drained oil would give me an idea of whether I'd need to maintain factory service interval at ASC to maintain warranty or not.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 18:59   #83
BHPian

Hey, I love the xpulse. Got the full rally kit and Use it on my estate all the time. Must have fallen around 30 times but nothing bad. Just a part of trail riding. I did bend my break lever and I'm wondering if I can order something that isn't so long and is easier to adjust.
Old 3rd April 2022, 01:18   #84

@antihero loved your post. Thank you for taking the time to write it. It is making me want to buy my own Xpulse, especially with the new 4v version out.
Old 21st December 2022, 16:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingpossum View Post

Well, I own a Rally Edition Xpulse and trust me side stand on that is no good too. Planning to get it bent a little so as currently bike stands straight, zero confidence while putting it on side stand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks