Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 14:32   #346
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Yeah, I hate it that look.

Western people make the same face about China and Thailand too though. Moreover, India was probably never even heard of in first world countries as a manufacturing hub for bikes, and this is recent news for them. It's gonna take some time for the manufacturing credentials of India to be acknowledged. Until then, gotta endure the faces and tone of voice.

Then again, you get what you pay for. If they want made-in-Japan quality, they gotta be prepared to pay more, like $6700 for the decade old design of the Yamaha WR250R v/s the $6200 for the newer, larger displacement, and feature packed KTM.

Personally, i wouldn't mind paying more for a product manufactured to higher quality standards. It's just gonna be a much more pleasant ownership experience.

Isn't the adv790 is being manufactured in China too though?
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 15:48   #347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
AAAND the FortNine film is out!
The dude had me at first, I thought he'd succumbed to public opinions and marketing mojo but after watching for a bit I see he almost instantly pulled back to his own true self.

I especially liked the last part, which made me share the video with a friend and fellow enthusiast, we were keenly looking at the ADV390 after it's launch, but later on riding the motorcycle I found it to be quite similar to the 390's updated iteration which the same friend owned. My exact words to him were that the ADV is simply not worth the extra 60k over his Duke's price tag.

Ergonomic changes and electronic knick-knacks aside it was practically the same motorcycle with dual purpose tyres. Something that'd still be of interest had KTM rethought the pricing.

Plus KTM being KTM I'm pretty sure the next iteration of the D390 would come with all the electronic bells and whistles the ADV has.

As for the part about economies of scale he is bang on, Bajaj has been providing never before seen value in its segment for more than a decade now, take the Pulsar's for example, backlight controls, auto cancelling indicators, auto headlight switch, auto choke, sensors for every possible thing that could go wrong and what not, all this while the competition couldn't even provide a kill switch.

Plus I feel he's being cynical about the target audience than disdain Indian manufacturing prowess rather I'd say he was low-key complementing it.

All in all I'm glad we have hands-on guys like Ryan reviewing motorcycles than the plethora of spec sheet enthusiasts who are the norm these days.

I do clearly get product turnover and untapped market potential but it does feel good to see someone take the effort to value integrity over numbers.

Kudos Fortnine.

P.S. Did anyone notice the blinkers?

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 28th September 2020 at 15:55.
ashwinprakas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 17:01   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Its the same guy who once thought the f800gs was the best adventure bike since he got it...he is human after all.
Bingo! I don't know why people take his word as god speak? He has decent content and presentation, but that's about it. His technical skills are ok types and his review skills are pretty biased to certain brands. Yes I do have subscribed to him and have watched almost all videos from day 1.

Having said that $6100 that was mentioned as the pricetag surely would bias it further. I still believed the bike should have been priced closer to 3-3.25 on road and with adjustable shocks at 3.5 Lakhs on road. If not yes a 390 Duke does makes sense for most.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 17:32   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Bingo! I don't know why people take his word as god speak? He has decent content and presentation, but that's about it. His technical skills are ok types and his review skills are pretty biased to certain brands.
I was put off too that he chose the f800gs over the vstrom But his riding skills are better than just ok. I personally think it's good enough for the average guy to generally trust his word.

It's just that he comes up with absolutely alien takes like this one occassionally. It makes zero sense to put down a bike just because the footpegs are slanted, especially in a market like North America where the accessory availability is very strong, even more so because he works for a parts dealer himself. I'm left here scratching my head thinking maybe he put a different kind of sugar in his coffee that day.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 28th September 2020 at 17:34.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 18:11   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
I'm left here scratching my head thinking maybe he put a different kind of sugar in his coffee that day.
That is how online media content push works, we all are discussing it right? Imagine if he did not made that mention?

As far as forward bent footsteps, first time I am hearing of such a phenomenon. I don't think it is even an issue for standing having used the bike since Feb 2020. The handlebar is actually the real culprit if you ask me, the bike badly needs a riser.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 01:50   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
..The handlebar is actually the real culprit if you ask me, the bike badly needs a riser.
I believe Carbon Racing has readied a riser for 390 Adv. Saw something on their insta page. Please do check.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 09:38   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
AAAND the FortNine film is out!
He gets it spot on in the last sentence summation.

As a bike it's great.

As a value proposition for someone who already owns ANY 390, it's near zero.

Especially with the hefty price creep since my 390 was launched in 2013 at a little north of 2 Lacs.

To this one at near twice the price.

Except for the fact that it can stop a hundred kilometers later for fuel, this baby and a 2013 Duke, shod with similar tyres, with similar riders up top, there would be zero difference on any terrain.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:14   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
He gets it spot on in the last sentence summation.

As a bike it's great.

As a value proposition for someone who already owns ANY 390, it's near zero.

Especially with the hefty price creep since my 390 was launched in 2013 at a little north of 2 Lacs.

To this one at near twice the price.

Except for the fact that it can stop a hundred kilometers later for fuel, this baby and a 2013 Duke, shod with similar tyres, with similar riders up top, there would be zero difference on any terrain.

Cheers, Doc
Why the duke 390? Even a splendor with street tyres will run circles around whatever you have on any offroad terrain out there, right? Dont tell me you never came across locals on your trips out to NE on rat bikes to put you to shame.

So that is not the point. The point is, this is a more comfortable, better ergoed, travel enduro with 19 front with that gem of a 390 single.

I have used a first gen 390 just like yours for about 6,000 kms right after selling my Versys. I have a couple of trip reports around.

These bikes are night and day in every respect barring in city commuting which is predominantly where f9 is coming from. Look at it from his perspective, he has a f800 in the garage, probably a couple of two stroke dirt bikes as well, what would you think his opinion will be on this bike? This bike has to ace all his prior experiences with other bikes. Look at his Tenere 700 review. A bike i would never buy considering how top heavy it is compared to a 790 adv.

On the other hand, there is a HUGE thread on advrider and every single buyer is absolutely thrilled with this bike, so much so that its completely sold out everywhere outside our country. These are guys who have sold their big gs, cb500x, vstroms, you name it. Me included, climbing down from the Versys. There is no way in hell i will take a duke 390 even at a 100 grand less than this bike.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20191027_092807.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200222_172943__01.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200222_172959__01.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200222_173036__01.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200222_173128__01.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20181202_075545.jpg

I have now crossed 9k on mine. Most of it offroad.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20200926_035435923.mp01.jpeg

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th September 2020 at 10:18.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:25   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why the duke 390? Even a splendor with street tyres will run circles around whatever you have on any offroad terrain out there, right? Dont tell me you never came across locals on your trips out to NE on rat bikes to put you to shame.

So that is not the point. The point is, this is a more comfortable, better ergoed, travel enduro with 19 front with that gem of a 390 single.

I have used a first gen 390 just like yours for about 6,000 kms right after selling my Versys. I have a couple of trip reports around.

These bikes are night and day in every respect barring in city commuting which is predominantly where f9 is coming from. Look at it from his perspective, he has a f800 in the garage, probably a couple of two stroke dirt bikes as well, what would you think his opinion will be on this bike? This bike has to ace all his prior experiences with other bikes. Look at his Tenere 700 review. A bike i would never buy considering how top heavy it is compared to a 790 adv.

On the other hand, there is a HUGE thread on advrider and every single buyer is absolutely thrilled with this bike, so much so that its completely sold out everywhere outside our country. These are guys who have sold their big gs, cb500x, vstroms, you name it. Me included, climbing down from the Versys. There is no way in hell i will take a duke 390 even at a 100 grand less than this bike.
Nope, in the NE or the North, never come up against any bike, rat or non rodent, Splendour or nonsplendrous that puts me to shame. Lol

In actual fact, on the Duke, I happily put a lot of bigger (liter plus) bikes to shame quite regularly. On real world terrain, minus straight arrow 10 km long drags.

My perspective will always be that of a value conscious old school pretty purist biker.

I'm not the different bikes for different purposes terrain specific weapon school of riding.

Whichever bike I ride and own is supposed to and does do it all. To the outer limits of my abilities and gonads.

Between the Duke and the Adv, I believe that the Duke can do what the Adv does a bit better than the Adv can do what the Duke does.

And price is a huge factor ... I'm not a theoretical auto journalist writing scenarios here.

I bought my 2000 km barely used 390 from Kolhapur from a jewellers non biker son who dropped it and was banned from riding for 1.2 Lacs. The exact amount I sold my Baby Duke for.

In which planet would I spend 4 Lacs to get a Duke on stilts and a bigger tank?

Which when you boil things down is exactly what the Adv is.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:49   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

In which planet would I spend 4 Lacs to get a Duke on stilts and a bigger tank?

Which when you boil things down is exactly what the Adv is.

Cheers, Doc
Your opinion vs 10,000+ opinions who have bought the bike worldwide and are using it as intended on road and off, some.of whom probably have far more experience offroad with both you and i combined.

I also wonder why people in the states and europe would buy this bike when they have access to new and used crf 250's, dr650s, klr 650s, and every gen of the current duke for a cheaper price. Hmm. Fools i tell ya.

Everyone has a reason to buy a bike of their choice. You have your reasons not to and we all appreciate your need to extract every rupee.

I have nothing against the baby duke, in fact i loved every km of the. 6k on that little lass.

Safe trails

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-i6jtd3g34k.jpg

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th September 2020 at 10:51.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:56   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your opinion vs 10,000+ opinions who have bought the bike worldwide and are using it as intended on road and off, some.of whom probably have far more experience offroad with both you and i combined.
Yup.

MY opinion.

Did not think that Team BHP has to be a mirror to AdvRider or the biking fraternity in the US and Europe as it's raison d etre.

What I post here is ONLY and always my opinion.

How does anyone elses matter to me?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:57   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup.

How does anyone elses matter to me?

Cheers, Doc
Touche bud. Ride safe.
Old 29th September 2020, 11:04   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Touche bud. Ride safe.
Let the war not end so tame man. 🤣.

Nothing I have said here is something I have not repeated in great detail on WhatsApp to 3 very senior Duke riders here.

One of whom has done more kilometers on his Adv already, including the hills, than both you and me combined.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th September 2020, 11:07   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let the war not end so tame man. ��.

Nothing I have said here is something I have not repeated in great detail on WhatsApp to 3 very senior Duke riders here.

One of whom has done more kilometers on his Adv already, including the hills, than both you and me combined.

Cheers, Doc
Arre bhai, if it doesn't end here both of us will booted out. Then you'll have to charm me over whatsapp in addition to the very senior duke riders. What are they over 60 and senile?

Lets thrash this out when we meet on some trails yonder. I really wanted to head to Pune for the 8moto offroad expedition/trail this time, but can't find company to join me...in case i need a push or pull off the road

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th September 2020 at 11:30. Reason: Keep mod discussions off the forum please.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 11:16   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arre bhai, if it doesn't end here both of us will booted out. Then you'll have to charm me over whatsapp in addition to the very senior duke riders. What are they over 60 and senile?

Lets thrash this out when we meet on some trails yonder. I really wanted to head to Pune for the 8moto offroad expedition/trail this time, but can't find company to join me...in case i need a push or pull off the road
Nope they are all younger than me and I'm not yet 50.

Coming back to the topic, the Adv is a great option from the stable to a first time buyer who wants to tour and hence the rougher bias and tank range and more relaxed seated stance is attractive.

For him paying a premium over a brand new Duke is part of the consideration set. Not for me or others like me.

Personally, the one ride I had on the Adv, brilliant as it was, it left me feeling a tad disconnected from the road, a bit remote, much in the way a tall adv does.

Not as bad as the monster 1200s at 300 odd kilos, but similar, when compared to the digging into and stuck to the road intuitive feel of my Duke.

I've converted my Duke into 90% of what the Adv is and ridden her on tour. Great.

But the feel when I get her back on her original rubber and drop the bars back is priceless. Truly ...

You cannot do the same on the Adv.

You will never be able to drop her into full tarmac mode.

That's what I was trying to convey about which bike does the others job better.

While being the top of the heap of its own.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th September 2020 at 11:31. Reason: Quoted post edited.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed