Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 11:26   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And a masseuse every night

Might actually work lol.
Haha, on my many rides with first gen KTM 390 owners, at breakfast stops, I was the one who had tingling fingers and feet, thanks to the vibes on my Royal Enfield Continental GT 535. The KTM boys never complained about their bikes having major vibes errrrr character. I actually felt like the vibes on the BS6 Adv 390 test ride bike were more than the vibes on the BS3 and BS4 test rides bikes from the KTM showrooms in Bangalore. Let me see if someone in the riding circles here in Cochin has an Adv 390.

BTW I saw your post on the other forum regarding the Adv 390 drinking engine oil and the corresponding confirmation from the factory technical team. Do the BS6 bikes also consume the same levels of engine oil?
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:40   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

BTW I saw your post on the other forum regarding the Adv 390 drinking engine oil and the corresponding confirmation from the factory technical team. Do the BS6 bikes also consume the same levels of engine oil?
Ah...you stalker. Whats your handle there?

I am talking about the bs6 bikes. All the 390 adventures are BS6 which you know i guess. Mine is consuming about 100 ml of oil every 1000 kms which according to KTM is par for the course. It "seems" normal. I have done about 5000 kms since the previous oil change and the bike swallowed 400 odd ml now to get the oil up in the sightglass. Else it was kinda missing. Maybe the rings are taking longer to settle in.

Was this common for the previous gen Dukes?
Old 12th January 2021, 11:47   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah...you stalker. Whats your handle there?

I am talking about the bs6 bikes. All the 390 adventures are BS6 which you know i guess. Mine is consuming about 100 ml of oil every 1000 kms which according to KTM is par for the course. It "seems" normal. I have done about 5000 kms since the previous oil change and the bike swallowed 400 odd ml now to get the oil up in the sightglass. Else it was kinda missing. Maybe the rings are taking longer to settle in.

I have been a very long time reader there though I have never signed up as a member. I should.

Apologies for my confusing question, I had intended to ask whether the other BS6 KTM bikes - the Dukes and RCs consume the same amount of oil? Since they share the same engines, they should, logically. But I havent come across anyone sharing feedback about this issue with the BS6 KTM bikes yet. I suppose with Covid, peoples riding would have also come down a fair bit and hence it might be early days.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:55   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I have been a very long time reader there though I have never signed up as a member. I should.

Apologies for my confusing question, I had intended to ask whether the other BS6 KTM bikes - the Dukes and RCs consume the same amount of oil? Since they share the same engines, they should, logically. But I havent come across anyone sharing feedback about this issue with the BS6 KTM bikes yet. I suppose with Covid, peoples riding would have also come down a fair bit and hence it might be early days.
Many on the 390 adventure whatsapp group have complained of this issue. Seems very common. Though how many bend over and check the sightglass regularly is a key question. Ignorance is bliss for most owners unfortunately.

Anywho, After two months off the bike, i finally managed to get my fingers around the clutch lever and compress it without wincing in pain. A short blast on the highway and i felt like i was going to be flung off the bike. I was at about 110-120 kmph. Felt laborious.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20210102_095318485.portrait01.jpeg

Been trying this windshield out since.

Just a single run so far. The stock windshield mounts have two settings low and high. On the high, which i first had this mounted on, the wind hit right at the top of my helmet inducing lots of bufetting. On the way back i dropped it to the low setting and i had lots of clean air into my lid but no blast on my shoulders down. Will ride around a bit more.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20210108wa0012.jpeg
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20210108_075652036.portrait.jpg

The shield is from an indian manufacturer called Carbon Racing.

I did a good offroad/road trip over four days to Anshi national park before my fall. I will put that report up in a bit.
Red Liner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:19   #485
BHPian

Re: Tyre options

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
What are my tyre options for the ADV ?
Metz are out thanks to the import restrictions. MRF ones are not yet available in the open market. I did not find any other manufacturer (Indian or otherwise) making these tyres in the size needed. I am kind of particular about getting the exact size and hate the upsize/downsize business.
Tyre Size Front :-100/90-19, Rear :- 130/80-17

These are the stock sizes? Didn't find anything online for exact size. May be you can contact Kwik Fix Automobiles (Tyres), Mumbai (Mr Ravi) for available options or Pathpavers, Delhi.

Quote:
All the 390 adventures are BS6 which you know i guess. Mine is consuming about 100 ml of oil every 1000 kms which according to KTM is par for the course. It "seems" normal. I have done about 5000 kms since the previous oil change and the bike swallowed 400 odd ml now to get the oil up in the sightglass. Else it was kinda missing. Maybe the rings are taking longer to settle in.
Quote:
Many on the 390 adventure whatsapp group have complained of this issue. Seems very common.
rb239, Have you experienced this? For long runs, your bike would loose a significant amount otherwise!

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:30   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Tyre Size Front :-100/90-19, Rear :- 130/80-17

These are the stock sizes? Didn't find anything online for exact size. May be you can contact Kwik Fix Automobiles (Tyres), Mumbai (Mr Ravi) for available options or Pathpavers, Delhi.
Yes, these are the stock sizes and they're not available online anywhere. I've been searching for the exact size but in vain

Quote:
rb239, Have you experienced this? For long runs, your bike would loose a significant amount otherwise!
Both the oil and coolant level have practically stayed the same since I got the bike. I have a habit of keeping a close eye on these two for obvious reasons !
I have never topped up neither of the two till date.
rb2399 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:09   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both the oil and coolant level have practically stayed the same since I got the bike. I have a habit of keeping a close eye on these two for obvious reasons !
I have never topped up neither of the two till date.
Coolant has not been a problem for me either.
Old 12th January 2021, 16:16   #488
Team-BHP Support

KTM says upto 70 ml per 1000km of engine oil is normal consumption. And yes it does drop in my bike also, when we measured it was about 40-50 ml in 1000 kms, so well within what is expected.

The bigger issue is the 1650 ml fresh fill will show full at fill within just 10 kms when the oil circulates to the clutch side it will go to the bottom of the window. Now my question to KTM guys was, why not just make the fill another 100 ml more so that it stays within the window.

Fresh oil fill with a filter change at about 15kms and viewed as per manual. My bike had done about 2500 kms on odo then. ps ignore the angle of pic, need to rotate it clockwise a bit to make it right.
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_7520.jpg

The same phenomenon is observed for my cousin's bike which was delivered on the same day and on that bike we had seen a drop of about 200 ml by 3000 kms of fresh fill.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 17:24   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No.

Very common on Bullets though.

Even if riders do not regularly check their oil levels, definitely at service the mechanics decant the drained oil into a graduated plastic conical measuring flask to check the drain volume. Any undue oil consumption would get noticed and communicated to the rider at that time.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th January 2021 at 17:31.
Old 12th January 2021, 18:42   #490
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The bigger issue is the 1650 ml fresh fill will show full at fill within just 10 kms when the oil circulates to the clutch side it will go to the bottom of the window.
This is one of those places where a bit of retrospective thinking would do you good.

How is it that one refills oil in a Motorcycle?

He ensures that the motorcycle is level, then pours in oil till it's at the 'Max' mark in the inspection window, then he closes the filter cap and idles the Motorcycle for a minute or two and shuts off the engine.

He then gives the engine a short while to settle and then inspects and adds oil till it's at the 'Max' mark.

I keep saying it's 'Max' but the manuals recommend a point between the two marks, but trust me it won't make a difference.

Now about drop in oil level, if one has opened up a motor they'll realize that the oil pump feed is way way below the inspection window, so not much to fret about even if the oil is at the lower mark.

All said this is a motorcycle equipped with an oil pressure switch so unless you're into long hauls there's really no reason to be bothered.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 20:18   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
How is it that one refills oil in a Motorcycle?
No more the way you mentioned, the manufacturer mentions procedure and quantity. So drain full, replace the filter and fill that specified quantity. For Adv 390 the oil comes in exact quantity from Motul in a single sealed can of 1.65 Liters. No running and inspecting again and all. And that is where I have shared the question back to KTM service folks. why can't they inform the factory about what is being observed and increase the quantity by about 100 ml.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 09:40   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, these are the stock sizes and they're not available online anywhere. I've been searching for the exact size but in vain
I'd suggest you enquire with the showroom.

I had visited the showroom yesterday and noticed the changed rubber on the display ADV390. Forgot to take a photo, my bad. But I recall it was MRF Meteor tyres. Most probably stock size too, which funnily enough, I'm unable to find online.
shyamg28 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 10:04   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
But I recall it was MRF Meteor tyres. Most probably stock size too, which funnily enough, I'm unable to find online.
You are right. They've switched over the MRFs but surprisingly they're not available in the open market. The reason given to me by the MRF guys was that there's some buffer period between the time they supply tyres as OE and the moment they're made available in the open market. KTM & MRF have conveniently forgotten about poor souls like me who started with Metz but are now in a desperate need to switch over to MRFs as Metz have vanished from the market OR are available at absurd prices
rb2399 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 11:13   #494
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. They've switched over the MRFs but surprisingly they're not available in the open market. The reason given to me by the MRF guys was that there's some buffer period between the time they supply tyres as OE and the moment they're made available in the open market. KTM & MRF have conveniently forgotten about poor souls like me who started with Metz but are now in a desperate need to switch over to MRFs as Metz have vanished from the market OR are available at absurd prices
Interesting! I think I noticed them as being "Meteor-FM2". Not sure I saw it right. I'll see if I can reach out to the sales guy and ask him the specific one.

Side note, it's totally your fault for being a mile muncher

Seriously though, I know you mentioned you're a stickler for replacing with exact size/profile, but this one time maybe you could make an exception. Who knows, might totally change your perception
shyamg28 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 11:38   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Seriously though, I know you mentioned you're a stickler for replacing with exact size/profile, but this one time maybe you could make an exception. Who knows, might totally change your perception
But what are his options, Timsuns?

Most Viewed