Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2021, 00:39   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

From whatever I have read and heard, KTM is like the TATA / Mahindra - their launch is never with a perfect product, but they keep working on resolving issues to make the product better (more Mahindra than TATA). But they do listen to feedback and bring changes, so later versions are always better. (TVS is another one similar to these).
Old 8th August 2021, 05:52   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
From whatever I have read and heard, KTM is like the TATA / Mahindra - their launch is never with a perfect product, but they keep working on resolving issues to make the product better (more Mahindra than TATA). But they do listen to feedback and bring changes, so later versions are always better. (TVS is another one similar to these).
Completely the opposite actually based on my experience with both the original Dukes.

Their launch Dukes, both the 200 and 390, were proper raw KTMs.

Then based on feedback, Bajaj managed to slowly one step at a time neuter the core DNA.

Fatter. Lardier. Smoother. Less quick. Less manic. More civilized.

Something a Jap fan would appreciate. Not one who sets out to buy an edgy Austrian orange rocket.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th August 2021 at 05:57.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 07:47   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Completely the opposite actually based on my experience with both the original Dukes.

Their launch Dukes, both the 200 and 390, were proper raw KTMs.

Then based on feedback, Bajaj managed to slowly one step at a time neuter the core DNA.

Fatter. Lardier. Smoother. Less quick. Less manic. More civilized.

Something a Jap fan would appreciate. Not one who sets out to buy an edgy Austrian orange rocket.

Cheers, Doc
Spot on , the new KTM 390 motors are neutered compared to the 1st gen. Had a 390 from the 1st batch , proper hooligan. rode the 390 adv and it felt absolutely dead, lost all its KTM character. Pity, now only if someone can retrofit the 1st gen motor into the adv…
howler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:16   #634
Senior - BHPian

Thought I'd dabble my reasoning here. The old Dukes were hooligans; were primarily related to the way the fueling maps were burned. The BS6 bikes though seem more hooligan on paper aren't slouch either. Yesteryear KTMs had snatchy throttle response right from their inception, they were unpredictable, stally and just too much temperamental to be good, and the Duke 390 glorified it altogether. Solution? Revised maps with the updated BS6 norms.

What KTM engineers have done in the guise of BS6 update, at least per my ownership and experience, is that they've moved the torque and power figures slightly down, courtesy the revised fueling maps of the newer lots. This perhaps compensates for the BS6 luggage that it hauls, and to mask the lost urgency of the older siblings.

The newer KTMs are much more demure and have taken through classes on discipline, and it shows.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:36   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Thought I'd dabble my reasoning here. The old Dukes were hooligans; were primarily related to the way the fueling maps were burned. The BS6 bikes though seem more hooligan on paper aren't slouch either. Yesteryear KTMs had snatchy throttle response right from their inception, they were unpredictable, stally and just too much temperamental to be good, and the Duke 390 glorified it altogether. Solution? Revised maps with the updated BS6 norms.

What KTM engineers have done in the guise of BS6 update, at least per my ownership and experience, is that they've moved the torque and power figures slightly down, courtesy the revised fueling maps of the newer lots. This perhaps compensates for the BS6 luggage that it hauls, and to mask the lost urgency of the older siblings.

The newer KTMs are much more demure and have taken through classes on discipline, and it shows.

Cheers!
VJ
This story is now a decade old nearly Vijay.

The only ones stalling the KTMs were the ones who could not ride.

And Bajaj listened to them because they made the most noise and were the majority.

Anyways, ancient history for me.

I have the bike that I want. And am keeping her. Like my 500.

P.S. I was part of the group that tested the 390 before its launch. Not one rider complained of this so called stalling. And we were running Euro tuned 390s on Indian petrol in 2012 ....

Last edited by ebonho : 9th August 2021 at 17:44.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:26   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This story is now a decade old nearly Vijay.

The only ones stalling the KTMs were the ones who could not ride.

And Bajaj listened to them because they made the most noise and were the majority.

Anyways, ancient history for me.

I have the bike that I want. And am keeping her. Like my 500.

P.S. I was part of the group that tested the 390 before its launch. Not one rider complained of this so called stalling. And we were running Euro tuned 390s on Indian petrol in 2012 ....
History is sorta repeating itself, these days. Observing closely, this story still makes itself relevant with the types of queries we get to hear every now and then even today. There's still a bunch that likes the old version of anything and then there are takers of the newer ones. It doesn't matter which maps which bike had, the actual user experience is what matters and you can I can attest to the fact that they were temperamental, fun and explosive.

Irrespective of Continental, Oriental or Middle Eastern maps, some inputs definitely help a buyer. The chap who makes a spicy sphagetti may not find it spicy, saying he tested/tasted it. The chap who actually tastes it to whom it was intended to be tasted may actually find it spicy and there's nothing wrong in it. Different strokes for different folks, and if it counts that day, it counts today.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 9th August 2021 at 18:28.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:31   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a good time returning from Gurudongmar and riding through hail.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_7447101.jpeg
Red Liner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:34   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
History is sorta repeating itself, these days. Observing closely, this story still makes itself relevant with the types of queries we get to hear every now and then even today. There's still a bunch that likes the old version of anything and then there are takers of the newer ones. It doesn't matter which maps which bike had, the actual user experience is what matters and you can I can attest to the fact that they were temperamental, fun and explosive.

Irrespective of Continental, Oriental or Middle Eastern maps, some inputs definitely help a buyer. The chap who makes a spicy sphagetti may not find it spicy, saying he tested/tasted it. The chap who actually tastes it to whom it was intended to be tasted may actually find it spicy and there's nothing wrong in it. Different strokes for different folks, and if it counts that day, it counts today.

Cheers!
VJ
It's very simple actually.

There was a kadak CLEAN free rev of the old motors to ANY throttle input.

That cannot be quantified or explained in a whole lot of tech jargon.

Those who have felt that and fell in love with that had a huge letdown on riding the new 390 for the very first time. Even if it eventually "grew" on them.

For some reason, probably because of the ergos and stance and feel of a "new" bike, the Adventure felt nicer than the new Duke.

Neither however came even close to the 2013 390.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th August 2021 at 18:39.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:42   #639
BHPian

Quote:
It's very simple actually.

There was a kadak CLEAN free rev of the old motors to ANY throttle input.

That cannot be quantified or explained in a whole lot of tech jargon.

Those who have felt that and fell in love with that had a huge letdown on riding the new 390 for the very first time. Even if it eventually "grew" on them.

For some reason, probably because of the ergos and stance and feel of a "new" bike, the Adventure felt nicer than the new Duke.

Neither however came even close to the 2013 390.
I completely agree with you doc, the first 390 was bonkers. You would even agree that the first lot of duke 200s , were complete mad compared to the later ones which were tamed down by Bajaj.

Coming back to the 390 adv, it was very choppy in the low revs for me and I could never connect to it like a connected to the 200 duke, untill this weekend that is. The latest ecu update has magically made some differnece which I quite cannot place yet. Need to ride more to quantify it.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 20:04   #640
BHPian

How can we check the ecu update or version? Is it displayed somewhere?
Old 10th August 2021, 21:43   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMambaXX View Post
I completely agree with you doc, the first 390 was bonkers. You would even agree that the first lot of duke 200s , were complete mad compared to the later ones which were tamed down by Bajaj.

Coming back to the 390 adv, it was very choppy in the low revs for me and I could never connect to it like a connected to the 200 duke, untill this weekend that is. The latest ecu update has magically made some differnece which I quite cannot place yet. Need to ride more to quantify it.
I've never made secret of the fact that I loved Baby Duke 222 (the first 200 in the country) more than my 390. I love both really, but the 200 was just a sweet machine. So much fun in the city, and the ghats. I hated selling her, probably as much as I hated selling my KB100 RTZ in 2002. I have a thread on her here. A decade ago now nearly (Feb 2012).

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 21:48   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
How can we check the ecu update or version? Is it displayed somewhere?
I guess the TFT just displays the TFT update version. You will have to go to the service station to check. What I heard is that this is an update for all 390 ADVs to improve fuelling and throttle response in the power rev range. So far the bike feels peppier while trotting around in the city. Also, it's good to be back on Teambhp after a long hiatus.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 20:49   #643
BHPian

Well i went to the service centre and got my ecu flashed. The end number is 5503. And TFT version is 11. I honestly cudnt make out the difference. But then my bike is just a few days old and done 200 kms.
derek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:58   #644

Having gone through this thread from the very first post, I can almost relate to each and every topic discussed here on the ADV 390.

I must say the bike has given me a completely different perspective of riding. No more wide-open highways, regardless of its capability to belt at higher speeds. I am extremely happy between the 80-100 kmph mark, sailing through while I get to see and cherish the world around as it passes.

The one thing I did not notice on this thread (may have missed it), is the issue of screws/bolts falling off. Has anyone faced this? To be specific, 2 in the headlamp assembly, 2 at the rear mud guard section (behind the number plate) and another which held the Hyperrider hugger (last one can be ignored). All the bolts were retourqued post the delivery. I am not surprised by any of it considering the amount of vibration the single pot makes, plus my thirst for off-roading, which also led to one of the front bearings going kaput at about 11K on the ODO

I will be riding out solo in the near future for a long one. Thus, I am concerned if any of the other critical bolts would fall off, like the one from brake calipers or the engine casing? Would be pretty disturbing if I am far away from a mechanic, which is bound to be the situation during the ride.

I am newbie here and this is my first post, hope I have abided with the forum rules

Last edited by Arv1990 : 20th August 2021 at 11:21.
Arv1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 07:37   #645
BHPian

People, which mirrors are a standard fit on the bike. I’m not interested in spending 12-15k on mirrors available on big branded online stores. What other choices do we have over the stock mirror please? Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks