Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2023, 20:34   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Folks,
Happy to share that I've picked up a pre-owned 390 Adventure yesterday. So far happy with it, this bike is so different to the Z900. I will need to learn a totally different style to gel with the 390 Adv.

Here it is in all its glory:

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20230507_113935.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20230507_113954.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20230507_114028.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20230507_114046.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20230507_114206.jpg
Got some war wounds, but the bike carries them well.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20230507_132252.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-20230507_080901.jpg
Impressive Tool Kit

Have observed a few things with it and will take it to KTM Service early next week to get them checked.

Cheers
Hiren

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 7th May 2023 at 20:35.
hiren.mistry is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 22:02   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
KTM's service chart agrees to the fact that oil consumption of 60 to 70 ml per 1000 KM is normal. If the consumption goes above that, then a detailed analysis should be out. Depending on the riding conditions, especially at sustained higher RPMs the oil consumption could in fact be higher than that.

Only a thorough check as to the actual consumption should yield better insights.
VJ
My 390 ADV has had the first three free services done. At second and third service, we calculated the engine oil burn to be > 150ml / 1000km. The bike is used 4 times a week for city commute and usually does one out of city ride a month at the minimum. I feel regardless of usage the oil consumption this high is a sign of a bigger issue. Despite recognizing significant oil consumption at the second service, the SVC asked me to ride for another 1,000km post which we will do another drain. If it's > 100ml then they will look to process for warranty. I am more skeptical about this now as at 2 oil changes the consumption is already proven. ODO currently stands at 11.5k km.

Other issue I am facing is my handlebar feels extremely loose on minor undulations on the road. The feedback is so high that I feel extremely uncomfortable on bad roads with high concentration required to ensure the steering remains steady. Seems like a coneset issue. Been complaining about this to the SVC in 2 and 3rd service. They tightened the coneset to no avail. They said they'll process this in warranty along with engine claim when I come in post 1k km of riding

- Any recommendation what should I in particular look to ensure that SVC checks?

- Any similar experience?
Old 9th May 2023, 16:00   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Got the bike to KTM Goregoan for a quick check up. I had such a pleasant experience there, was attended to immediately. Things I wanted to be done/checked:

1. Latest software update with riding modes
2. The rear brake pedal extension (removable part) needed a replacement

Fortunately, they had the pedal in stock. The software update also went smoothly.
The service cost was hilariously inexpensive. I was charged a princely sum of INR 24 for the brake pedal and INR 178 for the software update. This is such a pleasant surprise after the recent Kawasaki service where their labour and parts made my eyes bleed.

Might be placebo, but I feel the bike has become a bit calmer in the lower RPM range, but it will still shudder and rattle. I will have to live with this 'Character' of the bike. I also got the rear suspension at the lowest preload setting, hasn't made a jot of difference.

The clutch, acceleration connection still feels alien to me, but it is still early days and I am still adapting to the bike. There are some vibes from windscreen area, will address that over the weekend.

Upgrades planned:
1. I have ordered the Motourren's neck brace based on what i read here and some videos on YouTube. Will share an update once i have it installed.
2. Thinking of the Powertronic Fuelx Lite autotune to ease the low speed fueling/juddering.

Look forward to the feedback on the autotune if anyone has installed on their bike.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 17:15   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
2. Thinking of the Powertronic Fuelx Lite autotune to ease the low speed fueling/juddering.

Look forward to the feedback on the autotune if anyone has installed on their bike.
I do have the lite version installed and it's been more than 2000 KMs since. It definitely improves low RPM tractability and it also makes the engine run bit cooler (based on radiator fan coming on/off)
rb2399 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 10:13   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
I do have the lite version installed and it's been more than 2000 KMs since. It definitely improves low RPM tractability and it also makes the engine run bit cooler (based on radiator fan coming on/off)
Thank you RB, I am actively eyeing it. Will get that on the bike next month, want to get used to the bike the way it is now.

Cheers
Old 12th May 2023, 09:59   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
once i have it installed.

Cheers
I very strongly recommend going for the pro version of the Fuel X autotune. The 10 settings on the pro version is worth its weight in gold. I'll explain.
The fuel x modulates the fuel according to usage. I was on setting 7 when i started (Mumbai to Goa). Ater a long high speed highway stint, i noticed that it now puts in more fuel and there is higher rpms on the overrun in first gear when the bike is approaching standstill. Easily solved by dialing down the setting to 5 for a couple of days and then back to level 7 afterwards.
The_Medic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 16:04   #1012
Senior - BHPian

2023 KTM 390 ADV with Spoked Wheels and Fully-Adjustable Suspensions launched in India at Rs 3.6 lakh

Quote:
The 2023 iteration of the KTM 390 Adventure has finally launched in India at Rs 3.6 lakh. This new variant gains aluminum spoke wheels, and fully adjustable WP Apex suspensions, both front and rear. In addition, there’s also a new exterior colour option on offer called the Rally Orange colorway. The new 2023 model will be sold alongside the existing 390 Adventure and 390 Adventure X variants.

Finally giving in to the demand of all KTM fans in India, the 390 Adventure finally features the much-needed fully adjustable WP APEX suspension i.e. now fully adjustable for compression, rebound, and pre-load. Damping at the front USD forks is 30 clicks each for compression and rebound, whereas the monoshock gets 20 clicks for rebound while retaining the 10-step pre-load adjustability.

Furthermore, the bike also gets light 19-inch spoked wheels at the front, and 17 inches at the rear, with black anodized aluminum rims. This should make venturing out into the wilds without any fear of breaking your alloys.
Mechanically, the 2023 KTM 390 Adventure will continue to be powered by the same 373.27cc engine that develops 42.9 bhp and 37 Nm of torque. This engine comes mated to a 6-speed gearbox.

Aside from the above, the lean-angle sensitive motorcycle traction control, cornering ABS has also been updated for the latest generation. Along with that, Quickshifter+, Riding modes, Off-road ABS, Ride-By-Wire, and LED headlamps continue as it is.

“We have seen a 60% surge in customer participation in our KTM Pro-XP Adventure properties. Over 50% of these are new customers, indicating a growing demand for Adventure motorcycling. We are now launching the 2023 KTM 390 Adventure with popular demand features like fully adjustable suspension and spoke wheels, which makes the motorcycle even more capable and versatile,” said Sumeet Narang, President, Pro-Biking, Bajaj Auto Ltd.

Source/Thanks: https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/bi...icle-100247106

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 14:04   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Got the bike serviced at KTM Goregoan. And again I've come out happy with the treatment from them. The bike is now so much better, the low speed issue is all but gone.

Jobs carried out:
1. Paid Service
2. Oil change including all the filters including air filter
3. Spark Plug
4. Coolant change
5. Throttle body cleaning

The bike still occasionally stalls when I pull in the clutch at low speeds, but I believe this is an inherent nature of the bike with very little that a service center can fix.
I am now happy with the bike, I reckon a Fulex Lite/Pro will now add to the riding experience.

One thing I've noticed is that the front tire would drop pressure by PSI every day, on close inspection noticed there are a few minor sidewall cracks and the air is leaking from there. I've got it plugged and it seems to have fixed the leak, however I have started the search for a replacement but cannot find options for the stock size 100/90 R19. What are my options for replacement set? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:26   #1014
BHPian

Congratulations Hiren on your ADV.
Reminds me of my gen 1 RSV mille which used to rattle like crazy in neutral. First time I rode it I was pretty scared that the clutch basket is about to explode but asked around forums and they said, it's the Rotax engine 'character' and that I should 'enjoy' it.
I have a duke 390 gen1 now and I swear every time I finish a ride there's this thought of selling it off as the gruff and clattering nature of the engine is an irritant for sure. But the next time you are standing at a stop light and then you leave everyone behind when the lights turn green, that's when I tell myself it's a keeper!
In fact, if at all you are into giving names to your bikes, I think the 390 should get the name 'zee' not the z900

Last edited by doga : 23rd May 2023 at 16:27.
doga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 12:02   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
Congratulations Hiren on your ADV.
Reminds me of my gen 1 RSV mille which used to rattle like crazy in neutral. First time I rode it I was pretty scared that the clutch basket is about to explode but asked around forums and they said, it's the Rotax engine 'character' and that I should 'enjoy' it.
I have a duke 390 gen1 now and I swear every time I finish a ride there's this thought of selling it off as the gruff and clattering nature of the engine is an irritant for sure. But the next time you are standing at a stop light and then you leave everyone behind when the lights turn green, that's when I tell myself it's a keeper!
In fact, if at all you are into giving names to your bikes, I think the 390 should get the name 'zee' not the z900
Thank you Doga
The RSV Mille was a bike that adorned my bedroom walls, love it. I've heard it up close. I am sure the new'er KTM's character has been toned down but you simply cannot eliminate it all. The bike is happiest north of 4K RPM any lower and it will throw tantrums like a petulant child.

Well, I am not quite into naming my rides, but I recall calling My Suzuki Shogun 'Shoki' and first gen Pulsar 180 'Pulse' and the Z900 'Zee', rather imaginative as you can see.

To update on the tire plug - Well its been 2 days and the tire seems to be holding pressure. Will monitor over a few more days. Till then searching for replacement tires, not finding much luck.

cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 24th May 2023 at 12:04.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 11:53   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
So, my bike just completed 3 years and crossed the 22,000 km mark.
Got a major service done and also changed my tyres.

At the moment, I felt that 25k for Metzeler's were a bit too much, so got the Maxxis Maxxplore, the set cost me INR 8k with fitting.
Hey Parrys
How are you finding the Maxxis tyres?
I am looking for a set for my bike, have shortlisted the Apollo Tramplr XR series and the Maxxis Maxplore.
Did you install a 90/90r19 in the front? Did you find any difference compared the the stock size?

Edit: Just checked, Maxxis do come in stock size of 100/90r19.

Thanks

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 26th May 2023 at 11:54.
Old 26th May 2023, 12:31   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Parrys
How are you finding the Maxxis tyres?
I am looking for a set for my bike, have shortlisted the Apollo Tramplr XR series and the Maxxis Maxplore.
Did you install a 90/90r19 in the front? Did you find any difference compared the the stock size?

Edit: Just checked, Maxxis do come in stock size of 100/90r19.

Thanks
Been riding it on hot & sunny days.
So far, so good.
But clearly, not as good as the Metzelers.

Into corners, I still don't have as much confidence as the stock tyres.
If budget is not a concern, I would suggest just pick the Metzelers.

Maxxis, if you plan to do plenty of off-road riding, since the tyre tread is more knobby, this should hopefully offer slightly better traction.
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 05:15   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
however I have started the search for a replacement but cannot find options for the stock size 100/90 R19. What are my options for replacement set? Any pointers would be appreciated.
You do get the MRFs in stock size for both front & rear. The performance is decent but nowhere near the Metz. You will get them at a fraction of cost of the Metz though !
rb2399 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 12:24   #1019
BHPian

Did anyone find a solution for the engine oil consumption issue? Has KTM acknowledged the issue and provided any solution? please mention if anyone has any update. Thanks.
Old 8th June 2023, 12:40   #1020
BHPian

Not sure if this the right thread to ask this question (since its more of an ownership thread), but I am keen on getting an ADV 390. I am neither considering the X model since if I am spending that much, I would rather have all the electronics and better tyres from day 1, nor the low seat model since it has 25mm of lesser ground clearance, and I am okay with the normal seat height.

What I am considering and confused between is the standard 855mm seat model and the Spoked wheel one. I already own a FZ25 and I will probably keep both bikes. The reason for getting the 390 will solely be for highway touring and cross-state travelling, that too mostly solo (coming to this factor later). Not very keen on off-roading but can be an option to explore later.

Has any of you test ridden both the bikes and what are the major real world differences you felt? I have read that the standard model has a stiff rear suspension setup. And the SW, coming with adjustable at both ends, does it make it a lot better with the correct settings (as shown in Sagar Sheldekar's review)?

The biggest concern for me are the wheels. I don't care much about spoke wheels. But has the new spokes improved the ride as spokes can flex and absorb bumps unlike alloys? The normal alloys are, from what I have heard, very sturdy enough. But the alloy model doesn't come with the adjustable suspension. Also, as I mentioned above, I will mostly be travelling solo. And spoke wheels have tubes. And tubes can fail. How much highway-safe will this bike be with tubed tyres since it can carry some seriously good cruising speeds. How durable will these be for road use? I don't want to carry the risk of being stranded. I do know that people have been travelling the country with beaten up Himalayans and Xpulse but those 2 can't really carry as good highway speeds as the KTM.

Also, coming to colour options, I don't like Orange. Too loud for me. I do like the Dark Galvano of the standard model. Understated elegance. And the SW is in Rally Orange color scheme only. So, the only thing that's going in favour of the SW for my case is the adjustable suspension and the fact that its the top spec model (along with the fear of tubed tyres).

390 ADV Owners, please help me decide! Thank you.
SiLxNcE is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks