Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2024, 19:59   #1321
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
What's the update a year later now? Is it worth getting?
So one of the design flaws in the current KTM ADV is the headlight assembly. In case one puts any extra load on it in the form of the bigger windshield or a number plate bracket aux lamp mount it is bound to shake.

The Motouren neck brace solves this to some extent but its installation is tricky and its bolts keep on getting loose and need to be periodically checked unless loctite is used. There have been some cases where the clutch cable sheath had some cut marks due to improper installation.

But before you get it installed check the tightness of headlight assembly bolts. They might have become loose leading to increased headlight vibration.

My current setup with a rally replica windshield with extra support brackets and frame aux light mount is vibration-free for which the neck brace has some contribution. I could see increased vibration when the bolts got a little loose before fixing them semi-permanently using loctite.
advstreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 20:31   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLxNcE View Post

I rented the ADV 390X on a weekend in Bangalore and took it to Nandi Hills and back in full riding gear to simulate touring. It’s a 150kms circuit that contains crazy city traffic, some stretch of open highways, ghats and hairpins. So, it’s a great way to take a bike through all its paces. And then I returned the bike on a Monday morning in jam-packed traffic.
Suggest you take a Test drive from Showroom on brand new bike. I had taken KTM 390 Adv rental at Leh on Ladakh trip, and i came back and test drove a new bike at showroom, it was day and night difference. Rentals are mostly abused and not very well maintained.

Also 390 with FuelX is a breeze in city Traffic. And its a great bike to ride on humps if you know to stand-up and ride on Adventure bikes.

And yes, Go for Adv if you plan to do some offroading too, as a pure highway ride, you might check other options also. Though many swear-by it as an highway cruiser.

Last edited by shamanth : 26th March 2024 at 20:34.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 20:07   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
An update at 40,000 KMs
Last week, I completed my longest ride to date (~ 9,600 KMs) that involved Pune-Koteshwar-Kibithu-Pune.

Before the ride, I switched over to RK Takasago chain and it's done wonders. I did not need to adjust the chain slack during the entire trip. That's such a far cry from my Rolon chain days
Hi @rb2399, how long did your RK Takasago chain last? My stock chain is at 14.5k kms and needs tightening every 1000 kms even though I cleaned & lubed it regularly. It may go another 3k or 4k kms, at the most. Just out of curiosity, what is the average life of a 390 ADV chain sprocket?
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:22   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
how long did your RK Takasago chain last?
Its typical life is ~ 20K in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the average life of a 390 ADV chain sprocket?
I think the OE lasts for ~ 10-15K but it really depends on the way you maintain the chain irrespective of the brand.
rb2399 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 16:11   #1325

My Adv is currently at 18,000 km on odo and doing great. I had tried the Xpulse rear shock to negate the super-stiff stock rear suspension, and it was a good improvement albeit with a raised ride height. The shock is only 1 cm longer than the stock KTM one but made me tiptoe even on flat ground (I'm slightly over 5'8"). Also transferred more weight to the front which made the effort required at the handlebar quite a bit more, especially in traffic and offroad.

Recently swapped the Xpulse rear shock for the new adjustable one from KTM and WOW this is exactly what I've been looking for. Has really transformed the comfort level of the bike with the way it takes on road imperfections! I wish I had done this sooner. I haven't even tried the softer settings yet, the stock setting itself was good enough.
neoakshay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 21:46   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Has anybody tried moturenn's neck brace?
https://www.motourenn.com/products/k...390-neck-brace

Thinking of getting one for my KTM ADV 250. The brace should work better on the ADV 250 due to fewer vibrations compared to ADV 390.
Sorry, I saw this late! Don't go for it. You add another layer to channel vibrations to the headlamp unit. It doesn't reduce the feeling of headlamp wobble. All it does is dampen the issue at lower rpm, but on the flip side, it channels a good amount of vibrations to the headlamp and dash console at higher speeds.

The jittery meter console when the bike struggles to breathe is a known issue on bigger bikes as well. In my case, it was the Multistrada 1260s.
Old 14th April 2024, 23:17   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
It doesn't reduce the feeling of headlamp wobble. All it does is dampen the issue at lower rpm, but on the flip side, it channels a good amount of vibrations to the headlamp and dash console at higher speeds.
I actually went ahead and got it installed long back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5482160 (Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250)

It does help to reduce headlight wobble but it needs to be tightened properly and Loctite needs to be used so that the bolts dont get loose again.

I have not faced any high speed vibrations issue which could be due to the fact that the 250 does not vibrate much in the first place and also because of the extra support brackets mounted rally replica windshield which itself is not much prone to vibrations.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5704378 (Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks