Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 10:17   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I
Has KTM managed to fix the TC issues in the latest batch of the Adv 390? Also, do members here face issues with the suspension bottoming out?
1. TC is better kept off when offroad except in hard slush, where a twitch of the accelerator can send you flying off. TC is a tool to be used when necessary not kept on all the time when offroad. On road i keep it on because its a safety tool. I have tried hard offroad multiple times with TC ON and OFF and now have a very good idea of when and where to use it.

2. Suspension won't bottom out if you stand and keep the weight off the rear. It will if you keep sitting and bounce off the bike as you hit stuff. But yes, stock suspension is a major pain point. But solvable and so is not a very big deal. Adjustable suspension is definitely a need and not a want.

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th October 2020 at 10:19.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:47   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
But yes, stock suspension is a major pain point. But solvable and so is not a very big deal.
Can you please elaborate on this? Is there a workable fix that our local guys are using?

On the adjustable suspension, on tour, or even normal rides with a variety of different terrain and conditions, you eventually will narrow down your settings to one. And that one will always be a compromise on everything other than what you have set it for.

I've ridden a GS with electronic suspension adjustment. Makes a night and day difference to the "connect" with the road, when trying to push it hard on windy super smooth tarmac. To the extent you can actually "push" a 300 kilo tank hard that is ...

I'd like to hear from you guys who own and ride bikes with adjustable suspension how it actually works in the real world riding scenarios.

Not the typical track tuning where you get the right balance and then stick with it, often with very costly and exotic "imported" 5 star hotel stating pro support.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:53   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can you please elaborate on this? Is there a workable fix that our local guys are using?

Cheers, Doc
I had a versys with adjustable suspension front and rear pre load remote adjuster. I only adjusted the rear because the front was factory set for a rider of weight 65 kgs which is about me. The rear however was easily adjustable on the fly depending in terrain, roads etc. After a while i stuck to one setting. But i have friends who have checked rider sag, and sorted their suspension characteristics depending on terrain they ride and I don't think they will ever buy a bike without front and rear adjustable suspension.

The only workable fix at the moment is wait for YSS, or Ohlins to launch a fully adjustable rear suspension kit for the 390 adventure. The other fix is to send your rear suspension to someone who can install new springs in it for your weight and other riding characteristics.

The overall wish from most KTM owners seems to be to soften the suspension a bit more to make it pliant over rough roads.

The G310 GS however has such soft suspension it can put a baby to sleep. Their owners seem to wish for a stiffer set up because the bike wavers all over the place when pushed hard offroad or in the corners.

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th October 2020 at 11:55.
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:06   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The G310 GS however has such soft suspension it can put a baby to sleep. Their owners seem to wish for a stiffer set up because the bike wavers all over the place when pushed hard offroad or in the corners.
Sounds like a case for the baby GS and baby Adv friends to meet one Sunday and swap rear shocks.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:44   #410
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I'd like to hear from you guys who own and ride bikes with adjustable suspension how it actually works in the real world riding scenarios.
Suspension is a very complex science, and even with fully adjustable suspension, most of us just dont have the knowledge of what to do with it. Unless we are talking of technology such as Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) offered on bikes like the daddy GS where basis selected mode, the computer calculates and adjusts suspension on the go. Give adjustable SFF front and rear to an average enthusiast and there are just too many variables to think of tampering and screwing with the stock setting. In the versys group, i do remember majority of riders just stuck to stock setting on the front. Rear was only preload adjustable and did not require any tools so we dabbled with 'hard' or 'soft'. Some tried tampering with combination of preload and rebound basis half baked information from you tube videos only with inconclusive results. An then ones drops the suspension tampering and move on to the something else on the bike, may be the next accessory purchase.

Quote:
Your are right about the 'putting baby to sleep" part but the 2nd part is not quite true. Almost all the 310gs riders in our Bangalore whatsapp group swear by the suspension and are very happy with the way it is. Infact if not for suspension, some of us would have considered bikes like the 390A, including myself. The suspension is soft , but so was it on that tall offroad MX bike parked at Big rock dirtpark. We sat on the bike and it went up and down like a wave. The bike MAY waver all over the place when pushed hard by someone like CS Santosh, but we are average joe enthusiasts. Tip toeing, and completing the an off-road trail corner without falling itself is an achievement, forget pushing it hard off road and into corners.
I could very well relate to the PD video where they are talking about himalayan as a beginners friendly and forgiving bike. I feel the 310GS is the same, very forgiving and adjusting. You may remember the quarry at Ranas farm (pic below) where the 390A was having some difficulty and popping wheelies, and the 310s did it without much drama and with novice riders. Thats what i am referring to as forgiving nature. Gives confidence to a novice rider and attempt and learn in that process.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200528_103501.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 19:24   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with nasirkaka, but I think I am slowly getting the hang of this bike, or is the 390 adventure getting a hang of me lol

This is a super capable dual sport bike, just that really hardcore bouldering single track this bike is still too heavy compared to a proper dirt bike. I just can’t wait to slap knobblies on and have my skills improve along the way. So much fun...

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th October 2020 at 19:26.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:39   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

I finally got around to watching the PD video, I dont know what the fuss here was all about! On the plus side, it resulted in a healthy debate.

Quote:
2. Suspension won't bottom out if you stand and keep the weight off the rear. It will if you keep sitting and bounce off the bike as you hit stuff. But yes, stock suspension is a major pain point. But solvable and so is not a very big deal. Adjustable suspension is definitely a need and not a want.
Quote:
The only workable fix at the moment is wait for YSS, or Ohlins to launch a fully adjustable rear suspension kit for the 390 adventure. The other fix is to send your rear suspension to someone who can install new springs in it for your weight and other riding characteristics.
I had heard that the stock suspension of the Adv 390 was not as comfortable as the Himalayan or GS310 but I didnt know that it was such a major pain point. Has anyone thought about sourcing the OEM front shocks from the international model and dropping it on the Indian bikes? It looks a good business opportunity!

The YSS rear shocks for the Duke 390 sell for around Rs 25,000 in India so once an Adv 390 product is ready, it should be around that price. Add another Rs 30K for the front. Maybe the PD guys were right in asking for a better / R version with adjustable suspension straight from the showroom floor

Also, does anyone in India install springs as per weight and riding style? Or was you referring to the international vendors? I havent heard of any Indian vendors offering this service, it would be amazing if we have some qualified professionals in this space.

Quote:
On the adjustable suspension, on tour, or even normal rides with a variety of different terrain and conditions, you eventually will narrow down your settings to one. And that one will always be a compromise on everything other than what you have set it for.

I've ridden a GS with electronic suspension adjustment. Makes a night and day difference to the "connect" with the road, when trying to push it hard on windy super smooth tarmac. To the extent you can actually "push" a 300 kilo tank hard that is ...

Not the typical track tuning where you get the right balance and then stick with it, often with very costly and exotic "imported" 5 star hotel stating pro support.
Doc, I dont have experience with adjustable front suspension but I do have the rear Ohlins with preload, compression and damping adjustment on my Street Triple 675. I was fortunate that the gentleman who owned the bike before me, had purchased it and installed it on the bike, Im not sure if I myself would have invested in it (I think the price is between Rs 60K - 90K) however much I read on the internet. But I am glad that it is there, adjustable suspension is a fantastic investment for riders who will keep the bike for a few years and ride through both fixed conditions (track usage) and all conditions (tourers). I like to find a good baseline combination and then depending on the changing road conditions, I might adjust one of the variables. On road benefits are guaranteed. I can carry much higher speeds on the same road after adjusting the suspension. Im sure cornering speeds are higher as well but I dont dare take my eyes off the road while doing so.

Quote:
But i have friends who have checked rider sag, and sorted their suspension characteristics depending on terrain they ride and I don't think they will ever buy a bike without front and rear adjustable suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Give adjustable SFF front and rear to an average enthusiast and there are just too many variables to think of tampering and screwing with the stock setting. In the versys group, i do remember majority of riders just stuck to stock setting on the front. Rear was only preload adjustable and did not require any tools so we dabbled with 'hard' or 'soft'. Some tried tampering with combination of preload and rebound basis half baked information from you tube videos only with inconclusive results.
I agree with the points that both Red Liner and nasirkaka made. Since we do not have any baseline data to share and reference, for adjustable suspension on these bikes with Indian conditions and our respective weights plus riding conditions, it is easy to get into analysis paralysis and go on changing the settings. However, to me, this takes away from the fun of riding. I prefer finding one good baseline combination that works in a wide variety of conditions and then focus on enjoying the ride.

I think adjustable suspension is a real game changer but it is the most under appreciated aspect in Indian motorcycling. The fact that we havent had volume selling bikes with this feature, is to blame. Of course, mass market sellers and adjustable suspension dont go hand in hand.

To me, if you have an A2 level motorcycle and are an experienced enthusiast, investing in aftermarket adjustable suspension will be far more rewarding than a new exhaust or any other modification.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:17   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think adjustable suspension is a real game changer but it is the most under appreciated aspect in Indian motorcycling. The fact that we havent had volume selling bikes with this feature, is to blame. Of course, mass market sellers and adjustable suspension dont go hand in hand.

To me, if you have an A2 level motorcycle and are an experienced enthusiast, investing in aftermarket adjustable suspension will be far more rewarding than a new exhaust or any other modification.
This is what I was trying to get at and both you and Red Liner have confirmed.

99.9% of us have grown up and still do ride "around" what the bike comes with stock. Taking each bike as a unique machine and our riding adapts to how it behaves on the road.

I push both my Bullets and my KTMs. But I do not push them in the same way. As my Bullet rear shocks start going weak with age, never both equally together, I absolutely expect the rear dag-dag dance when going flat out into a long sweeper with a 20 kilo duffle bag bungeed to the rear.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 00:23   #414
BHPian

Quote:
What a brilliant desi idea sirji. Hats off!

My entire group of old buddies here have in the lockdown put their BIC spec track bikes into hibernation and bought these hyper sexy KTM and Suzuki and Yamaha and Husky dirt machines.

The kind you service by hours of use and not Kms.

And they've bought swanky Tata Xenons to ferry them in to dirt farms for hooliganism.

Some very serious riders too. Training for Dakar.

Attachment 2060707
If I'm not wrong, are these by any chance Mr. Pushkar Patil's and his friends bikes, he goes by the name of broken.asphalt on instagram.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:31   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that KTM has shod the RC and Duke 390 with MRF Revz C1 tires due to the ongoing challenges with importing tires, has there been a similar impact on the Adventure 390? The feedback on the Revz C1 is quite positive, so I wonder if and when, KTM will switch to a local tire manufacturer for the Adv 390.

On a lighter note, I received this forward yesterday and was immediately reminded of this thread!

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-whatsapp-image-20201007-22.24.07.jpeg
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:06   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
If I'm not wrong, are these by any chance Mr. Pushkar Patil's and his friends bikes, he goes by the name of broken.asphalt on instagram.
No these are not his bikes. Though a very close friend and he both ride similar KTM 350SXFs. The other one is a 450.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:24   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Also, does anyone in India install springs as per weight and riding style? Or was you referring to the international vendors? I havent heard of any Indian vendors offering this service, it would be amazing if we have some qualified professionals in this space.
I had the same question post 1000 kilometers on the 390 adv. The rear suspension is rock hard (even on the softest setting) and every bump on the road would be felt on my lower back.

Came across a company called Zedling suspension , based out of Pune and when I enquired if they had a product for the 390 adv, they sent out a form when one is required to fill a lot of information (height, weight, riding predominantly on tarmac or trails, riding with/without pillion etc) .Post this , they did reply that they can make customized springs(Customized Spring rate & Damping) for the rear suspension and costs 8500/- . In Bangalore, GGMC (Gear and Gear Motorcycles) are the official retailers for this suspension and their mechanics are in the process of getting trained by Zedling to handle the fitting and service of these custom suspensions.

I am currently in a dilemma whether to go for this upgrade, or wait for some recognized brand(YSS or Ohlins) to come up with the rear springs, as the rear suspension for my weight(~80 kgs) is worst than my Activa

Anyone who has had experience with Zedling Suspensions in the past, please share your feedback.

Last edited by Neo18 : 11th October 2020 at 13:25. Reason: Spelling/Grammer
Neo18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:29   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
I had the same question post 1000 kilometers on the 390 adv. The rear suspension is rock hard (even on the softest setting) and every bump on the road would be felt on my lower back.
Neo, since you are saying “post 1000 kms” your rear suspension is rock hard, is it that from 0-1000 kms the suspension was working fine and you were happy with it?

Have you checked this with some other bikes at the service or with a friends bike, maybe the rear shocks have failed. I know it’s been only 1000 kms but it can happen.

You could also highlight this to the service people and maybe try to get them replaced under warranty. No harm trying this before anything else.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers
Old 11th October 2020, 16:16   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Neo, since you are saying “post 1000 kms” your rear suspension is rock hard, is it that from 0-1000 kms the suspension was working fine and you were happy with it?

Have you checked this with some other bikes at the service or with a friends bike, maybe the rear shocks have failed. I know it’s been only 1000 kms but it can happen.

You could also highlight this to the service people and maybe try to get them replaced under warranty. No harm trying this before anything else.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers
Hi,

The suspension has been in this state from day 1(rock hard). What I meant in my comment was, the suspension was the same even after the 1st 1000km and first service. The factory setting was 1 above the softest setting. I changed this to the softest after about 500kms, but no appreciable change. I guess this has to do with the poor rebound characteristics of the spring. All my rides have been on highways till date. The service guys had a ready made answer to my complaint on the rear suspension --> "Sir this is how the suspension is on the 390 adv, we can go the softest setting(which I had already done!)"
Neo18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 18:19   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
...The service guys had a ready made answer to my complaint on the rear suspension --> "Sir this is how the suspension is on the 390 adv, we can go the softest setting(which I had already done!)"
Just curious, have you checked any other 390 Adv to see its almost similar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks