Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2020, 11:50   #1
BHPian

Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review

Disclaimer: This is my first review post on Team-BHP and I have tried my best to keep it up to Team-BHP standards. You may find few comparisons with KTM RC390 which is my other bike (though both are of different categories). All images are shot from my mobile, kindly excuse the quality of pics which is generally excellent in the forum.

• Well Priced all rounder – Take it anywhere kind of bike.
• Decent torque in mid range – That is where the bike is most intended to be used.
• Excellent Handling and Dynamics.
• Fuel Efficient and Big Tank range – Expect 500 kms + easily on a full tank if ridden in a sane manner. I am getting 40 kmpl easily with mix of highway and city conditions. FI version should have even better fuel efficiency.
• Ground Clearance of 220 mm. No problem on any kind of speed breakers.
• Even though bike has quite tall stance, scooped seat makes it easy to flat foot. Seat Height is 823 mm and people with height upto 5’5” should be able to manage on this bike.
• Stock suspension is tuned well for road use. Bad roads? What are those? I have forgotten to slow down on bad patches of roads. This hurts a lot when I get back to riding RC.
• Quality of Plastics is good for it’s class. Bike is well put together, no rattles whatsoever even after clocking 11000 kms.
• MID is well thought of and executed, Turn by Turn Navigation, Gear position indicator (working principle is a bit debatable and I am not fond of it's way of working), Date, Time, Trip meters, caller name display.
• 10 step adjustable rear suspension.
• Lot of points to mount your luggage, though I am not a fan but rear top box can also be installed.
• Economical to Maintain, Spares should be generally cheap.
• Stock Ceat Tyres are good for Road use and provide adequate grip. Knobbies are a must if you are looking into serious offroading.
• Up-swept exhaust – Good water wading depth, though it can be a problem with regular saddle bags for touring but there are enough options are available in market to work a way out.
• Manufacturer offered rally kit contains Fully adjustable suspension, Handle bar risers, Sprockets, Flat Seat. These are rarely seen in India or may be first time, if I am not wrong.
• Excellent warranty of 5 years/ 75000 kms which ever is earlier. I don’t think it is matched/ bettered by any other bike manufacturer in India.

Dislikes/ Could have been better:

• Engine refinement (coarseness in Engine) and heating in summers. Engine is nowhere as refined as Honda's are known for (reference to Honda because it has been previous partner of Hero and I think engines are still derivatives from old versions). I would like to see heat this summer since engine has opened up now. Last year in north Indian summer, engine was heating up quite a bit. However, after experiencing 390 kind of heat for several years, it is not even a bother.
• Vibrations creep up at higher RPM in handle bars and foot pegs. They were lot more initially and subsided now to an extent.
• Low on Power – Those who are into regular touring (especially highways) look elsewhere. 18 ps isn't simply enough.
• No 6th Gear. It is missed terribly on highway.
• Poor Head Lamps – Good for dark roads only. Auxiliary Set up is must if you are into night riding.
• Hard and Narrow Seat – Not comfortable for long duration rides. I am getting used to it now.
• Gear Box could have been better. Gear Shifts are notchy and finding neutral from 1st gear is very difficult at times.
• Fuel Efficiency drops drastically if bike is ridden aggressively. I have seen as low as 30 kmpl.
• High Speed stability (highway) is not confidence inspiring.
• Brakes are adequate for Single rider however with two up/ pillion riding stopping power could have been better.
• Headlight needs adjustment if you are riding with a pillion, due to rear suspension sag. Can't help it.
• Poorly executed ABS (more on this later).
• Tube type tyres.
• Hero App doesn’t have the soft version of the the manual till date. Even the hard copy manual which was provided with the bike is of very basic quality.
• Small niggles reported in social media like rim rusting, gear pinion failure etc.
• Short service intervals of 3000 kms/ 3 months. Frequent visits to service centre. Companies are moving to 5000-6000 kms intervals nowadays. I don't mind paying a little more for a better quality engine oil and having longer service interval.
• Hero After Sales Service has lot of scope of improvement.

Prelude:

I am a biker at heart and given a chance would prefer bike ride over cars mostly (this does not mean that I like cars less or vice versa). I had owned a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 from 2016, sold it off in 2018 and was terribly disappointed with the experience I had with it. In a short period of 2 years, I had engine opened up (knocking sound from piston), premature wear of rear brake pads, battery wire cut due to poor workmanship from service centre which led to riding on highway without headlight in night, MID bracket breaking on it’s own due to vibrations etc. to list a few. Though the bike had good pull due to decent torque and was quite stable in straight line, things would go south on corners and bad roads. No offence to existing owners but I vowed not to buy a Royal Enfield again (though recent public experiences with 650 twins have me thinking otherwise).

My other bike is KTM RC390 (1st generation) which is a pocket rocket and my experience with the bike and service centre has been generally good, barring a few hiccups initially. The bike has done 34000 kms in three years and brings a smile on my face every time I ride it. It is economical to maintain and often discussed KTM gremlins have not surfaced till now (touch wood). I have done a crazy 19 hrs ride on RC (from Munsiyari to Gurgaon) among few others and two track days at BIC. It is very good track tool for beginners to learn the tricks of trade. The negatives of the bike are well known and I wouldn’t like to spend too much time detailing them here except the committed riding position. My office commute is exactly 100 kms (to and fro) a day, which includes a mix of city and highway in ratio of 40:60. Highways are a breeze on RC but the moment you are stuck in traffic, the pressure on wrist make the life difficult for anyone out there, no matter what your experience level is. So one fine day, bike went over a pothole and that led to a nerve impingement (numbness, it is healing back slowly) in my left little finger. It led to start of search of a new bike.

Requirements:

• Relaxed Seating Posture.
• Economical to buy and maintain.
• Should have enough power for city and highway use, can be used for occasional touring also.

Alternatives considered:
For a brief moment thought of Duke 200 but then it has gone pricey since it’s launch. I also considered giving away RC390 and getting a BMW GS310, but a 500 kms ride on it to hills, changed my mind. Suspension is too soft, though excellent on bad roads but on hills (in corners), front suspension just seem to have too much movement for my liking. I am not sure if it is adjustable or it's like that only. Also vibrations are a bother and I didn’t want another vibrating machine after KTM.

Buying Experience:

Call to 1st Dealer:
Me: I am looking for Xpulse 200, can I have a look at bike and a test ride?
Sales Guy: Sir it is launched but we do not have the bike yet. Also, we have no information on price.

Call to 2nd Dealer:
Sales Guy: Sir it is not launched yet.
Me: Thank you very much. The End.

Call to 3rd Dealer:
Sales Guy: Yes sir, we have it, you can have a look and Test Ride both.
Me: (Glad) Ok, I will visit you in half an hour.

I visited Jasodha Hero, Gurgaon, as planned and had a look at Red demo bike carb variant. I wasn’t expecting too much from Sales team, had a look at price list and requested for a test ride. Test ride was promptly arranged with a dealership person as a pillion and limited to less than a km. Needless to say, I couldn’t make anything out of it - Suspension felt good, bike felt bit under powered with two up, that’s it. I asked for a Red colour (FI) variant availability and sales team promised to get back on it.

I got a call after week from dealership and they informed that Red Colour is only available in carb variant and there is no plan to launch FI in Red colour. I requested them for a longer test ride which they flatly refused. Disappointed, I made a call to Hero Customer Care and also shot off a mail to them, to which I am yet to receive any response till date.

Finally made up my mind for carb variant after discussion with a friend who is into bike mods, made a call to dealership to get the bike ready and informed them that I would pick it up same day in evening. Upon reaching dealership, did a quick PDI, asked them to remove saree guard and gave a go ahead for billing. I asked them to install Navigation app in my phone and set up the app, which the sales guy did very reluctantly as he himself wasn’t confident enough of the process.

Exshowroom Price: Rs. 97,000
Insurance : Rs. 7XXX
RTO : Rs. 8XXX
Total Price On Road: Rs. 1,12,XXX
No Discount offered, no discount asked. No freebies.

As soon as, I exited the dealership I noticed that the handle bar is misaligned (tilted) to the right. I turned back to dealership and called up sales guy. At first he refused to acknowledge problem but then on my insistence called a mechanic to check. After a short ride, mechanic accepted that the problem is there. He did some realignment but I felt that handle is still out of alignment. Anyway, I left for home with mixed feelings. Later on, it took 2 more visits to service centre to actually get that handle bar alignment right.

XPULSE 200

Hero showcased the bike at EICMA 2017 and when the pictures came out, it looked hideous to me in that green body and white mudguard. I never thought I would be getting my hands on it one day. The bike was finally launched on 1st May, 2019 with deliveries to commence from end of May 2019. I purchased the bike in August, 2019 and have clocked ~ 11,000 kms till date.
Xpulse can be classified as an entry level adventure bike and it is a head turner, grabs attention on roads.

Front View, looks very lean.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-front-1.jpg

Rear side view, Left
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-left.jpg

Rear side view, Right.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-right.jpg

Right there in it's territory.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rock-2.jpg

Side View. 220 mm ground clearance. Good enough for most people.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-side-shot-left.jpg

Sticker on Fuel Tank. Little overdone for my taste.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-branding-fuel-tank.jpg

Side Panels
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-hero-branding-side-panels.jpg

On rear fender
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-mud-fender.jpg

Bike should be manageable for anyone with height upto 5'6". Here is a 5'8" rider with comfortable flat foot.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-58-feet-ground.jpg

Standing on foot pegs and want to ride, there is a slight lean for 5'8" person. It should be manageable without risers.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-58-lean.jpg

Rider of 5'8" standing straight.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-58-standing.jpg

Comfortable riding triangle for 5'8" person. Foot pegs are medium high and slight forward set.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rider-triangle-58.jpg

Rider's triangle for 6' guy.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-riders-triangle-6.jpg

Handle bar risers are must for someone near 6' if you are interested in standing and riding.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-6-standing.jpg

Lean Angle with no risers for 6' height
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-6-lean.jpg

Rear view of Seat and Fuel Tank. Design is enduro/ motocross inspired and is over all lean. Sliding forward during all those mud track runs is easy. Fuel tank is lean towards the rider's end enabling easy gripping and forward body positions.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-seat-rear-view.jpg

Close up view of seat texture. Drying the seat takes time once it is wet due to this texture. Seat is lean and uncomfortable for long rides. Seat mod might help (also some gel seats etc)
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-seat-texture.jpg

Padding on fuel tank to prevent scratches.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-fuel-tank-padding.jpg

Hero Branding on Fuel tank lid.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-fuel-lid.jpg

Windscreen is small and does the job upto 80-85 kmph.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-windscreen.jpg

Company fitted Crash Guard. Little small but ok for the bike.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-crash-guard.jpg

Carb Version comes with plastic/ pvc bash plate. I don't think it will survive serious offroading session. Metallic bash plate is a must which is standard offering on FI version. To drain the engine oil, removal of bash plate is necessary.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-bash-plate.jpg

Main/ Reserve knob for Fuel. I think it is not available in FI version to protect the system. Total tank capacity indicated in 13 ltrs, though it takes comfortably more than that. 2 ltrs (usable) is indicated as reserve in manual.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-fuel-knob.jpg

Brake lever is small and means business. No rubber mounting etc. on it. Rider footpegs are spring loaded. They will fold inside in case of a fall.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-brake-lever.jpg

Gear lever is small and shifting gear with motocross boots will be a problem. Company is offering a Gear Lever extender as an accessory in the Rally Kit. Excellent. Gear box quality can be lot better. Gear shifts are notchy, 5th gear tends to slip if you are shifting aggressively. Finding neutral from 1st is a problem mostly. You need to shift from 1st to 2nd, then neutral comes easy. I think it is an adjustment issue.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-gear-lever.jpg

Kick start is standard. Good for cold regions where battery draining is a problem. I haven't used it till now. The idling adjuster screw is seen behind the kick.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-kick-start-standard.jpg

Lock for under seat storage.Works with few hiccups and is not that smooth. Notice the big grab rails. Can be used for bungee cords as well.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-lock-underseat-area.jpg

There is not much to store anything under seat. Spare tubes can be carried easily inside. USB charger is a good addition but I don't think anyone will use it.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-underseat-storage.jpg

Loops for mounting your bungee cord. These are placed just by the side of pillion footpegs and are a good thought. Pillion foot pegs aren't spring loaded.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-luggage-mount-rear.jpg

Fluid reservoir for rear disc. In case of a fall it should be safe behind the footpeg mount bracket. Notice the three drain pipes in the background. They are from Fuel tank overflow, carburettor and fuel control knob.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-brake-reservoir.jpg

Last edited by ast.ggn : 9th March 2020 at 19:58. Reason: Work in Progress, uploading photographs and grammar corrections. Thanks.
ast.ggn is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 15:55   #2
BHPian

re: Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review

MID and Rider's View

Rider's view of the cockpit. 9000-11000 RPM are permanently marked on the console. It is visible even with ignition off. FI variant comes with knuckle/ crash guards on handle. I cannot comment on quality of those as I haven't seen them close enough till now.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-cockpit-view.jpg

Night view of MID, Engine off
Side stand indicator displayed in Red. Backlight is white in colour and stays always on. Information is well marked and easily readable. Trip information is displayed on the right along with distance covered, trip duration and average speed. Trip meter resets automatically after 999 kms. Lower part on the right displays Date and Month. Year is also available as information but it is not visible as a main view. Lower left indicates clock time and Odometer is towards the right. There is also Turn by Turn Navigation based on the Hero Guide app. You can pair your phone with the console and use it like Google maps. Set up is straight forward via the app. You can also review past journeys in the app. I have used it only once, just for an understanding and it worked fine. You can also see incoming calls on the console in the same manner. Caller's name is displayed on the console if the contact is stored in your phone. For new caller, unknown caller will be displayed. There are no options to interact with callers via MID.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-mid-ignition-off.jpg

Engine on, blinking ABS light comes on. It goes away as soon as bike moves forward. Idle RPM varies between 1000-1500 usually, goes up to 1800 also at times (detailed later).
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-mid-igntion-.jpg

The gear position is indicated on the left (middle) while Speed is displayed right in the centre.

Gear position is detected by the ECU through a combination of Speed and RPM. There is no physical switch to read the position except for Neutral. The moment you depress the clutch, the gear indicator goes blank. It comes back only after clutch is released and bikes moves a bit. There is a momentary pause in all this activity, so if you are stuck in traffic and suddenly have to downshift, you keep guessing what gear you are in. I find this very annoying. During a recent experience with a puncture in rear tyre, the gear position was indicating as 3/4 where as bike was actually in 5th gear. This was due to bike losing speed/ rpm after puncture.

Sales guy was unable to set up clock and date even after spending 10 mins trying to do it. Two experts were called but none of them could do it too. I came back home, opened the instruction manual and set it up in 2 mins flat. Reminded me of a Dark Knight dialogue: Perhaps you should read instructions first.

Fuel gauge is mostly accurate and I get consistent figures. No Thunderbird level surprises here. However, the indicator bar keeps dropping/ climbing up a level as fuel goes down, this stabilizes after a few kms and stays consistent till next level reaches.

MID has service reminder also. It comes up every time ignition is switched on. Mode and Selection buttons are mounted right on the console. RPM counter goes all way to top once ignition is switched on.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-service-reminder.jpg

Headlight

Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-headlight-close-up.jpg

Low beam, on a dark/ dim lit road
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-low-beam.jpg

High beam, on a dark/ dim lit road
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-high-beam.jpg

Low beam, against the wall 6 feet away
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-headlight-wall-low.jpg

High beam, against the wall 6 feet away
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-headlight-wall-high.jpg

Headlight is decent for completely dark road, but on highways with oncoming traffic, it is useless. It is good enough upto 50/60 kmph only. After market, auxiliary setup is a must if you ride regularly in the night. Surprisingly, electrical wiring is not covered under warranty. I am not sure what is situation with other manufacturers.

Left Hand Side Switch Assembly. Pass switch is spring loaded and integrated into the high/low beam switch. I was searching for it initially. The choke switch is on the lower side. Switch gear quality is acceptable.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-switch-assembly-lhs.jpg

Right Hand Side Switch Assembly. It has Engine start/ stop switch and push button for electric start.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-switch-assembly-rhs.jpg

Indicators are normal bulb type and feel from stone age in these times.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-indicators.jpg

Rear lights are LED. They are minimalistic and look good. Notice the screws for mounting of top box.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-led.jpg

Single Horn. Nothing to write about, does the job.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-horn.jpg

Mirrors are decently wide and do their job. I would prefer a little wider for my frame.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-mirror-right.jpg

Upswept exhaust, Heat shield is split into several pieces. Last one seems flimsy and moves a bit even if the screw is fully tight.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-exhaust-heat-shield.jpg

Safety Mounting on exhaust to prevent any burns by accident or when rider is forward.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-heat-shield.jpg

Small light for rear number plate illumination in he night.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-light-number-plate-illumination.jpg

Cut out for exhaust.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-cut-out-exhaust.jpg

Handling and Dynamics

Handling of the bike is brilliant and chassis is well engineered for the purpose. Bike doesn’t lose composure on bad roads and takes everything thrown at it with ease. Sudden changes of directions are also well taken care of both on bad roads, no roads and highways. It would take someone with really good off-roading skills to get better of the bike on uneven terrain. Front forks are 37 mm telescopic, non adjustable with 190 mm travel.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-front-suspension-1.jpg

Rear Suspension is 10 step adjustable for preload with 170 mm of travel. Endurance label on it.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-suspension.jpg

Suspension is really tuned well for our roads and I don’t think anyone would need adjustment for road use. Front feels well planted even on corners and lean angles are surprisingly good for an adventure class. Even if the corner is uneven and bumpy the bike seems to take it very well. Though both motorcycles are entirely different category, the same corner if taken on KTM RC390, would unsettle the rear a bit as it is too soft for my liking even at highest preload setting. The bike weighs 153 kgs (kerb weight) and it feels light on the move. It’s predecessor Impulse was much lighter at 135 kgs approx and it is still a top budget choice for our country’s rally, dirt and enduro folks. I am looking forward to install the company offered rally kit on the bike in June this year and make it even potent tool for off road use.

Braking is taken care by 276 mm disc (two piston) at front, manufactured by Nissin and Single channel ABS. FI variant comes with petal disc, I am not sure if it is just for cosmetic reasons or is there any benefit to it.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-front-disc.jpg

Rear is 220 mm single piston, also by Nissin.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-disc.jpg

Brakes work well enough for single rider. For two up/ pillion riding, stopping distance is increased quite a bit and needs to be accounted for.

Nissin branding on brake fluid reservoir.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-nissin-branding-fuel-reservoir.jpg

ABS
One of nuisance with this bike is how the ABS is set up. If you are on slow speeds, say upto 20-25 kmph (not sure exactly what is the limit), the moment bike goes over any rough terrain or pothole, ABS kicks in and front lever gets hard leaving it useless. This can be really scary in situations where you are trailing any vehicle and it stops suddenly. You will end up rear ending it for sure. Problem is compounded by the fact that ABS is not switchable and is on at all times. Thankfully, the problem doesn’t occur on highways or on high speeds, or we would have seen few people down by now. Since workshop people don’t have a clue about it, I am planning to shoot a mail to Hero or tweet them to look into this.

Ceat Grip XL 90/90-21 at Front. Tyres are tube type and it is the biggest mental block me with this bike. Though removing the tyre and replacing the tube is relatively easier than Himalayan and Thunderbird but probability of puncture keeps on playing on the back of your mind. Anyone with reviews on Formula X are welcome to suggest. Even if tubeless spoke rims costs a bit more, it will always be a welcome addition. Hero, please listen to this, you are doing wonderful things already (aka rally kit).
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-front-tyre.jpg

120/80-18 section at rear also from Ceat. Both are decent enough for roads. I have faced a puncture in the rear tyre till now, luckily it was right in front of a repair shop. I have also noticed that stock tubes are quite thin as compared to same spec/ brand tube from after market. Another case of sub standard products in OE supplies?
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-rear-tyre.jpg

Chain adjustment and Tyre Air pressure instructions.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-chain-adjustment-instructions-air.jpg

Engine and Rideability

Engine is 199.6 cc, air cooled producing 18.4ps @ 8000 rpm and 17.1 Nm of torque @ 6500 rpm. Bike is offered in both Carburetor and Fuel Injection Variant, I own the former. Liquid cooling is to be launched soon as per recent scoops on BS6 version. Fueling is jerky at times and isn't really smooth. Engine idling seems to have a mind of it's own and RPM keeps on fluctuating between 1000-1800. (experienced members may throw some advice here). I am sure this problem won't be there in FI variant. If you set the RPM too low via idling screw, bike stalls midway randomly.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-engine.jpg

City Performance
First gear is quite short, though bike is quick to move off the start, you will soon feel need to shift to second gear. Most of the power band is in 3500 to 6500 rpm, after which performance tapers off. Engine feels quite torquey in the mid range and in moving traffic overtakes are easy. Changes of direction and filtering in traffic is easy but naked bikes still rule the roost in that category. Bike has sufficient power for city riding and you will rarely feel short on power, even with two up riding. 3rd and 4th Gear are quite good and pack a punch for city overtakes.

Highway Performance
Bike can cruise anywhere between 80-90 kmph (though I would call 80-85 as comfortable range and I ride it within this range). Beyond that, engine gets really coarse and you start to feel that you are hitting top end of the spectrum now and lack of 6th gear is evident. Though it can go upto 115 on long open stretches but there is no point pushing the bike as the performance it not really there and stresses the engine. The fuel efficiency drops quite a bit if bike is pushed to extremes for longer durations. The highway stability isn’t also very confidence inspiring above 90-95 and I would advise not to push the bike too much there. Expect an easy 500+ kms range for fuel tank on highways.

Off Road
Show the bike some trails, bad roads, no roads and it will show you it’s potential. To be honest enough, it can keep up with bikes that are multiple times it’s cost without hurting your wallet. It is really forgiving even for offroading newbies like me and doesn’t scare you. Mid range, as discussed above, is quite good and that is where majority of it’s work load is intended to be. Spares should be cheap, so if you have a fall or crash, it won’t hurt your pocket. Only thing I wish is front suspension to have more travel and adjustment, which has already been answered by Hero in the form of Rally Kit. I am yet to ride it on high altitudes, so cannot comment on performance, FI version should perform better there. Ground clearance is bit lowered by addition of center stand and I found it scraping a couple of times during my few trail experiences.

Service Experience

First service is scheduled at 500 kms and every 3000-3500 kms/ 3 months thereafter. First 5 services are free. To keep your warranty intact, you have to stick to service intervals prescribed and get your bike serviced at Hero Authorized outlets only.

1st Service: Scheduled at 500 kms, which includes general check up and Oil Change. Assuming that service center would open at 9 AM, I reached the center at 8:45 AM and get the shock of my life. I am 38th in the queue. This is a regular scene at service center and if you want to be free early, you need to be there by 7:30 AM (lesson learnt). Again, coming from KTM I found the service quality to be quite mediocre but I don’t know what to make of it, as Hero caters to masses and KTM is just opposite. Even Royal Enfield experience was better in this regard. Service center is usually filled with Splendors, Maestros etc. (no offence to users) and there is no separate bay for their premium offering. I have slowly built a rapport with workshop in-charge and mechanic who works on my bike, so the experience is getting better gradually.

Free service cost is approx. Rs. 350 which is basically for Oil Change and is quite cheap. Paid service cost is yet to be seen but I assume it won’t be much higher either. I am also skeptical about stock of spares at dealership as I don’t see many bikes on road here in north.

Bike wash and cleaning facility at service centre is really pathetic. On 1st service, I got my bike back almost as it is with mud spots all over. I gave the feedback over the phone and lady promised me to look into it but I do not see any improvement.

Oil change is advised at 6000 kms and top up at 3000 kms, I get it changed every 3000 kms as the colour/ quality of oil deteriorates in Indian traffic conditions. OEM suggested oil is 10W30 grade, which I believe is semi synthetic. I want to try a better oil and observe it’s effect on engine performance. Any suggestions from fellow BHPians are welcome on this. Hero has clearly mentioned though warranty will be void if any other oil except Hero make will be used.
Service cost, date of service and meter reading is available on the Hero App automatically, so there is no need to keep a separate track of it (unless you really want to go in detail).

Service Costs till date:

1st Service : Rs. 347
2nd Service : Rs. 347
3rd Service : Rs. 347
4th Service : Rs. 376 (included a bar end weight)

Problems faced:

The bike is mostly niggle free till now.

Minor issue faced with choke - Bike has a choke for cold start in winters. Couple of weeks back, the choke got stuck and idling rpms were bit higher. I took the bike to service centre and mechanic realigned the choke wire. Later on, I realized that it is not even working any more. I will take it up on next service coming up shortly.

There is a latch for locking the seat on the fuel tank. It is very flimsy in build and came off while mechanic was working on the bike.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-seat-latch.jpg

Modifications done/ Accessories planned:

• Removed the saree guard on the delivery day.
• Purchased a center stand – Approx. Rs. 650 including everything. Installation is a 5 min job.
• Metal bash plate (planned) – This is available as standard on FI variant. It costs around Rs. 1400 and is available on order.
• Rally Kit (planned) – Rs. 38000 approx. This is planned for somewhere is June/ July.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 9th March 2020 at 19:44. Reason: Corrections
ast.ggn is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 17:09   #3
BHPian

re: Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review

Comparison with Himalayan:

Himalayan was the cheapest off road centric bike available in India till Xpulse was launched. I have toured to Spiti/ Kaza on a BS4 Himalayan (a friend’s bike) in 2018 which was enough to give an idea about the capabilities of the bike.

Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-20200309_183509.jpg

As I am writing this review, I have a Himalayan with me for a week. After riding them back to back, my thoughts are as below:

• Overall far better machine for touring (read: highways) as compared to Xpulse. Seat is comfortable, you can do long distances in a day and be less tired relatively. Standing up on foot pegs and riding is easy on Himalayan due to higher handle bars, but they are a bit forward set.

• Bike is bulky and feels planted on highways. There is a substantial weight difference between the two.

• Performance is swift till 100 kmph which is the legal and safe speed on Indian Highways. Xpulse struggles here.

• If you are looking for a bike which is mainly for city commute, off-roading, exploring trails, taking part in a rally, Xpulse wins hands down. Himalayan’s weight is a negative there and Xpulse, in capable hands, will ring rounds around it.

• Xpulse should be lot cheaper to maintain in longer run.

Both are wonderful machines, in their own domain.

Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-himalayan-front.jpg

Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-himalayan-rear.jpg

Notice the difference in seat.
Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review-himlayan-side_seat.jpg

I would like to conclude my report here for now, will keep updating this with ownership experiences. Thank you for reading. Any suggestions/ corrections are welcome.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 9th March 2020 at 19:31.
ast.ggn is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 08:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hero Xpulse 200 (Carb) : Ownership Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome review, your bike is going to our homepage .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the XPulse. Welcome to Team-BHP as well. It is so good to see XPulses raning here on Team-BHP. Your bike, out of all the XPulses here, seems to have run the most. Great report, will help out exisiting XPulse owners like me and prospective buyers even more.

You should have a look at the JCMoto bash plate since it is even better than the Fi one (covers more of the engine). Stock bash plate doesn't have to be removed for draining oil though, and that's a huge advantage right there. Don't know how it is for the JCMoto one. It was the same one used in the first XPulse concept.

I respect your opinion, but I think we should stop saying that the XPulse belongs to the adventure class. I hate to always be the one who is separating bikes into categories, but I do understand that every bike can take you on an adventure and these are just marketing terms. I'm talking about some conscious design decisions that have been made where off-road functionality has been given priority over comfort (like a dual-sport). The XPulse is exactly that. Comparisons with the Himalayan are almost inevitable in our country though, and at the end of the day, all of these bikes overlap into each other's so-called categories. The point that I'm trying to make is that we shouldn't necessarily start calling out some aspects of the bike to be negative, because those have been conscious descisions. Sure, I would've prefered a better headlight instead of the feature rich MID (which is again a great addition, but mostly for drawing in more buyers), but most international dual sports that we have craved for for years suffer from the same issue. They're supposed to be road-legal dirt bikes, and the XPulse is the closest to that kind of a bike in India.

I agree with all of the points that you make, though. Coming from a Honda, I find the gearshift to be very notchy. Since people aren't really complaining about it, I thought that it was going to go away after the run in. Sad to see that it isn't. I face the same issues with the fuel gauge as well, and it has started to give me anxiety because I have no experience with a fuel injected motorcycle and I have heard a lot of horror stories.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 10th March 2020 at 10:05.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the XPulse. Welcome to Team-BHP as well.

Stock bash plate doesn't have to be removed for draining oil though, and that's a huge advantage right there.

I respect your opinion, but I think we should stop saying that the XPulse belongs to the adventure class.

I face the same issues with the fuel gauge as well, and it has started to give me anxiety because I have no experience with a fuel injected motorcycle and I have heard a lot of horror stories.

Neel

Thanks a lot for warm welcome

I will check JC Moto Bash plate, I wasn't aware about it. But the stock bash plate is required to be removed for draining the oil, the drain plug (bolt) is right there in the center and there is no gap for spanner to go in. I rechecked after reading your post. Am I missing something?

I mean no disrespect but I have a slightly different view on bike classifications. I feel bikes are classified on the basis of what they are built for. I can do things with Xpulse which I cannot think of doing with other commuter bikes. People have been racing rally on it, even in stock form and doing good. Install the rally kit and it gets even better. Of course it cannot be compared with enduro bikes as they aren't road legal and are built for purpose but then it a good effort by Hero to begin with. If exploring trails, taking part in off road rally isn't called adventure (a kind of), I am not sure what is? Hence I called it as entry level adventure bike. Comparison with Himalayan was put there because I see people often debating over it. Just my two cents.

I think you confused between Fuel Gauge and Fuel Injected there in the last paragraph.

Regards
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post

I will check JC Moto Bash plate, I wasn't aware about it. But the stock bash plate is required to be removed for draining the oil, the drain plug (bolt) is right there in the center and there is no gap for spanner to go in. I rechecked after reading your post. Am I missing something?
The aluminium bash plate that comes with the FI variant doesn't have to be removed for draining the oil. That's what I had meant by stock. My apologies, I understand that you are talking about the plastic bash plate that has no such provision.

Quote:
I mean no disrespect but I have a slightly different view on bike classifications. I feel bikes are classified on the basis of what they are built for. I can do things with Xpulse which I cannot think of doing with other commuter bikes. People have been racing rally on it, even in stock form and doing good. Install the rally kit and it gets even better. Of course it cannot be compared with enduro bikes as they aren't road legal and are built for purpose but then it a good effort by Hero to begin with. If exploring trails, taking part in off road rally isn't called adventure (a kind of), I am not sure what is? Hence I called it as entry level adventure bike. Comparison with Himalayan was put there because I see people often debating over it. Just my two cents.
If that's what you meant by adventure, I wholeheartedly agree! I was actually praising the XPulse for what it is, and not the opposite. I am also amazed by how versatile the XPulse is. And that's the thing about these bikes, they are what the rider makes out of them. I was actually comparing it to enduro bikes, if you read my post again. I have said the same in the XPulse thread as well.
Quote:
People need to stop calling the XPulse an ADV tourer, because it's not. So many enthusiasts are calling it a budget ADV, and this makes me realise that our market still isn't ready for proper off road bikes.

It's a dual sport, a dirt-oriented bike that can be ridden on the street. It's an entry level dual sport for sure, but it's a very capable one at that. The only bike that you can compare this to from the Indian market is the Impulse. Maybe that's why people are comparing it to the Himalayan and even the 390 Adventure, and coming back disappointed. I have heard so many people say things like "it's an ADV tourer, it should've had a better seat" and "Why is the exhaust pipe mounted so high? Pillion comfort and luggage mounting should come first."

Compared to international dual-sports (just specs, not experience), the bike has a few things that are different. The larger fuel tank, for example, is quite a boon and not something that you'd find on a bike like this. It's actually really well-designed. It feels a bit weird when saddling, but if you're riding in proper dirt bike stance, it's easy to grip the tank. But what really sets it apart IMO is how well you can slide forward and grip the tank when you're sitting. This means a lot more fun when tackling sandy corners and not having to stand up for the lighter trails.
Adventure motorcycles, as a marketing term strictly, are touring motorcycles designed to keep you comfortable on a long journey. In that sense, XPulse isn't an ADV bike. That's all that I meant.
Quote:
I think you confused between Fuel Gauge and Fuel Injected there in the last paragraph.
I'm not. Fi bikes, as you mentioned, are supposed to always maintain a certain level of fuel in the tank so that the fuel pump stays safe. The fuel gauge, as you mentioned, again, fluctuates a bit when the bars decrease before it stabilises. When parked, the fuel gauge always reads less fuel than what is actually there. Even the ownership manual states that the bike should be ridden 100m or so before expecting an accurate reading. I just don't want to put any risk on the fuel pump, that's what I meant to say. Just yesterday, when I started the bike up, the fuel gauge started blinking. When I started riding around, the blinking stopped. Sometime later, it started showing two bars.

Cheers,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
The aluminium bash plate that comes with the FI variant doesn't have to be removed for draining the oil. That's what I had meant by stock. My apologies, I understand that you are talking about the plastic bash plate that has no such provision.
Sorry. I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
If that's what you meant by adventure, I wholeheartedly agree! I was actually praising the XPulse for what it is, and not the opposite. I am also amazed by how versatile the XPulse is. And that's the thing about these bikes, they are what the rider makes out of them. I was actually comparing it to enduro bikes, if you read my post again. I have said the same in the XPulse thread as well.
Well put.

Quote:
Adventure motorcycles, as a marketing term strictly, are touring motorcycles designed to keep you comfortable on a long journey. In that sense, XPulse isn't an ADV bike. That's all that I meant.
Agree with you. As already explained in my review post, Xpulse is definitely NOT a preferable tourer, it can do fine for short distances at maximum. Long distance, it still can do, but it won't be my first choice especially on highways.

Quote:
I'm not. Fi bikes, as you mentioned, are supposed to always maintain a certain level of fuel in the tank so that the fuel pump stays safe. The fuel gauge, as you mentioned, again, fluctuates a bit when the bars decrease before it stabilises. When parked, the fuel gauge always reads less fuel than what is actually there. Even the ownership manual states that the bike should be ridden 100m or so before expecting an accurate reading. I just don't want to put any risk on the fuel pump, that's what I meant to say. Just yesterday, when I started the bike up, the fuel gauge started blinking. When I started riding around, the blinking stopped. Sometime later, it started showing two bars.
Yes, need to be careful with FI, though 5 year warranty brings peace of mind to an extent.
Old 10th March 2020, 14:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I think an apt way to explain what the Xpulse is would be a commuter-dual sport. Commute on weekdays, ride dirt on weekends.

I still love this bike. I booked it and then canceled because I found the power just too anaemic. Hope that is fixed with the 300.

Try the amsoil 10w40 or 15w50. Throw away the dealer oil once u get home to retain warranty and put in the amsoil yourself with a new filter. Good to go for 4000 kms at least.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th March 2020 at 14:15.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 17:13   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on the XPulse, ast.ggn. I got mine in June 2019 and have clocked half the kilometers that you have, and kudos to you for that. Coming from a First Generation KTM Duke 390, which has a hard suspension, the XPulse is a relief on the pothole-riddled roads of Bangalore.

Is it just me or is it a trend that many people with the KTM 390 twins have moved onto the XPulse?

Last edited by MonsterTorque : 10th March 2020 at 17:19.
MonsterTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 17:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think an apt way to explain what the Xpulse is would be a commuter-dual sport. Commute on weekdays, ride dirt on weekends.

I still love this bike. I booked it and then canceled because I found the power just too anaemic. Hope that is fixed with the 300.

Try the amsoil 10w40 or 15w50. Throw away the dealer oil once u get home to retain warranty and put in the amsoil yourself with a new filter. Good to go for 4000 kms at least.
I have got used to it, especially since engine is eager in mid range now. Someone like you who is coming from a 650 or may be even bigger ones, will surely have hard time adjusting. Besides, while exploring the local trails here, I would hardly go faster than what the bike is capable of. Any reason for suggesting, a thicker oil? Amsoil is available in 10w30 also, which is the standard spec. Thanks a lot for input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTorque View Post
Congratulations on the XPulse, ast.ggn. I got mine in June 2019 and have clocked half the kilometers that you have, and kudos to you for that. Coming from a First Generation KTM Duke 390, which has a hard suspension, the XPulse is a relief on the pothole-riddled roads of Bangalore.

Is it just me or is it a trend that many people with the KTM 390 twins have moved onto the XPulse?
congrats on your bike too. While Duke is still manageable on potholes, RC is killing. I have hardly used RC in last six months, may be when in a mood for little fun or just to keep the bike running. This machine is such a pothole lover.
Old 10th March 2020, 18:31   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the amsoil 10w30 then. I wasn't aware that it was available.

Enjoy!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 02:51   #13
BHPian

Firstly, congratulations on your acquisition. A lot of useful information to help riders make an informed decision whether to go for it not. I, myself have been toying with the idea for close to 4 months now, whether to pick up an Xpulse as a secondary bike, to be used primarily for off-roading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post

ABS
One of nuisance with this bike is how the ABS is set up. If you are on slow speeds, say upto 20-25 kmph (not sure exactly what is the limit), the moment bike goes over any rough terrain or pothole, ABS kicks in and front lever gets hard leaving it useless. This can be really scary in situations where you are trailing any vehicle and it stops suddenly.
This seems to be a applicable for most if not all ABS brakes. I own a Dominar 400 and have the same issue. If I go over a pothole and immediately try to apply brakes the lever is really hard. This also happens if I have just used the brakes, release and try to use it again instantly. I've heard friends complain of this even on some Benelli's. I wonder if its anything to do with the hydraulic fluid movement to and from the reservoir. Or due to the formation of some kind vacuum. Probably experts / engineers can shed more light on this aspect. Anyway, once you get used to it and understand that behaviour, you learn to instinctively circumvent it.

Wish you safe riding!
jd10ent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ent View Post
A lot of useful information to help riders make an informed decision whether to go for it not.

This seems to be a applicable for most if not all ABS brakes. I own a Dominar 400 and have the same issue. If I go over a pothole and immediately try to apply brakes the lever is really hard. This also happens if I have just used the brakes, release and try to use it again instantly. I've heard friends complain of this even on some Benelli's. I wonder if its anything to do with the hydraulic fluid movement to and from the reservoir. Or due to the formation of some kind vacuum. Probably experts / engineers can shed more light on this aspect. Anyway, once you get used to it and understand that behaviour, you learn to instinctively circumvent it.

Wish you safe riding!
Glad to be of help

But isn't the ABS issue dangerous when you are trailing any vehicle or riding on a very narrow trail with little margin of error or some new guy who is unaware of this is riding the bike. My wife had her heart in mouth situation when she rode it first time, this was despite me informing her beforehand. In RC, whenever ABS kicks in, braking still works and bike stops without fuss. The lever starts pulsating, gets hard but does it's job. That is how an ABS system should work. Rear brakes are useless in these bikes. I have sent details to Hero on twitter, let's see how soon they wake up from sleep
Old 11th March 2020, 10:43   #15
BHPian

Your ownership thread is excellent. Detailed and well photographed. Credit where credit is due on an excellent entry to this forum.

About your varying engine idling rpm. On a cold start move the handlebar slowly from left to right. Full lock to full lock. If at a particular moment during this exercise the rpm increases consistently then you can rest assured it's a problem with the choke cable (inadequate length and or kink in cable). Clean Lube choke cable using any bicycle chain lube. If that doesn't work replace cable.

About the bash plate, my experience with the factory fitted aluminium plate is taht it suffices. I have a few deep gashes from a couple of rock encounters but nothing that got transferred to the engine. So it does what it does. I think this makes it good value for money compared to jcmoto which is 2 or 3 times its price.
Just my 2 cents from experience.

Last edited by antihero : 11th March 2020 at 10:48. Reason: Congratulations and added some gyan about bash plate.
antihero is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks