Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 13:02   #1
BANNED

Kerala bans children atop motorcycle fuel tanks and on scooter floor boards

The Kerala MVD has released a circular as per instructions received from the Commission For Protection Of Child Rights, that bans commuting children atop motorcycle fuel tanks and on scooter floor boards.

Kerala bans children atop motorcycle fuel tanks and on scooter floor boards-whatsapp-image-20200317-12.34.54-pm.jpeg

I couldn't find an English iteration of the news hence sharing this clipping in Malayalam that mentions the same.

Though a bit late I for one am glad that this practice has been put to rest.

As a few days ago I was riding at a relaxed pace since I had a pillion onboard, when a person on a motorcycle who had a small girl perched on the tank duly overtook me from the right, but then another vehicle merged on to the road so he had to panic brake since he was coming in hot, the kid almost flew off the motorcycle, seeing this even I panic braked by instinct even though my path was clear.

I can still recall the tightening of my chest seeing the kid's head going over the speedometer, it was by mere luck that she did not fall over.

And having witnessed that incident I strongly feel that its high time such callousness be strictly penalized.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:20   #2
BHPian

re: Kerala bans children atop motorcycle fuel tanks and on scooter floor boards

People do all these even though they know it is very dangerous . 'It won't happen to me' attitude

These activities should be heavily fined and may be even cancel the riders license too.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have seen very well educated people, giving ride to small kids who are seated in opposite direction on the back seat and enjoying the joy ride.
What's the need for these kind of unsafe practices?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 14:27   #4
BHPian

Also, kids as pillion is no less dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
the kid's head going over the speedometer, it was by mere luck that she did not fall over.
I know another case, I really do not want to recollect. But for the sake of awareness; a mother was riding a scooter with her kid as pillion. She took a turn at a relatively high speed, the kid could not cope up with centrifugal force and slipped. A lorry was following...

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 17th March 2020 at 14:28.
Old 17th March 2020, 14:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post

I know another case, I really do not want to recollect. But for the sake of awareness; a mother was riding a scooter with her kid as pillion. She took a turn at a relatively high speed, the kid could not cope up with centrifugal force and slipped. A lorry was following...
My wife and me are totally against 2 wheeler and I myself stopped riding bike once we had our first kid. But at one point, she asked me if it would make sense to buy a scooty type for her to pickup and drop our kid from school and I told no way that is happening. Take a Rick.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 07:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post

The exact same situation with a kid from my daughter's school and a lorry - she was trying to overtake the lorry from the left. The kid came under the lorry wheels, the woman survived with minor scratches.
Old 18th March 2020, 09:54   #7
BHPian

Re: Kerala bans children atop motorcycle fuel tanks and on scooter floor boards

Any suggestions on what is the safe practice to travel with kids 4yrs+ on a scooter? Helmet is a must have. Saw some safety belts using which the kid in pillon can be strapped to the rider. Something like this.

Car is not an option as we are in have a single car park for the house and school timing does not suit for me to pickup everyday. Now my wife walks the kid back most of the times when I'm not available to pickup. The school is less than a 2 KMs from house and the path is through an apartment complex.

Note: I dont have a scooter right now and i was planning to buy one.

Last edited by knaveen : 18th March 2020 at 09:55.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 21:49   #8
BHPian

My father used to take me for rides on his RE STD 350 atop the tank. It is one of my most cherished memories. The thump of the motorcycle and the slow pace with wind in my hair brings back the glee that only a child could relate to. Though unsafe, I too take my son for short grocery runs, with him sitting at the front portion of the seat and on my Activa.

Sharing a link below on how it should be safely done. But don't know how much the kid is enjoying it as he faces sideways most of the time. Jamie is using a waist-pack to harness his kid to his back.

Ex-racer Jamie Robinson with his son in his channel MotoGeo:-

Family Tradition / Ducati Scrambler / MotoGeo Adventures

Attached Thumbnails
Kerala bans children atop motorcycle fuel tanks and on scooter floor boards-kriega_r3_waistpack_750x750.jpg  

sreeJiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 23:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

A very welcome step to usher in basic road safety. The extremely unsafe, dangerous and unsustainable practice being followed in our country since ages needs to stop somewhere.

I am sure many who have travelled by such a mode during their childhood have now become grandparents, but have never thought about or discussed the unsafe practice threadbare anytime ever.

We put our little children in these unsafe locations as soft targets and make them vulnerable to the first hit from an oncoming vehicle. Our common senses collectively take the backseat, while we adapt such practices.

Let us only hope that Kerala leads and some of the corrupt traffic cops don't let violators go scot free.
Old 19th March 2020, 09:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

A sad reality that we need laws to ban something that is so evidently unsafe. I don't doubt people to keep doing this regardless of the law. I fully trust men and women to emotionally blackmail cops if caught.

I really hope we get wiser and smarter, with exposure to safe practices over time; and realize that traffic rules are actually for our benefit.
Old 7th April 2020, 02:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is unsafe but there is hardly any alternative for lower-middle-class families who live multiple kilometers from a bus-stand. They live on their Activas. For previous generations the "big bicycle" filled this need.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, I think it is easy to jump to a stance but not easy to solve in a way that works.

Some kind of ultra-compact car may be an answer, maybe even privately owned autorickshaws.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th April 2020 at 03:42. Reason: Spacing for improvement in readability
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 15:34   #12
BHPian

Hopefully, other states will take notice and follow.
Another dangerous driving pattern is adults keeping small kids on their laps and driving cars.
God forbid if an accident happens, the kid will get injured first.
I have seen so many educated bunch of folks driving like this in the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks