Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2020, 18:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting

Go to your nearest Bajaj showroom and ride out on the Dominar 400.

Bajaj has done a tremendous job with it. It’s a jack of all and master of some but most importantly it’s a perfect motorcycle to live with for a long time.

There is of course an entire used super bike market that has some exceptional products that can be picked up and you would probably never feel the need to upgrade.

Last edited by bigron : 22nd March 2020 at 18:59.
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:11   #17
BHPian

Test ride all the bikes under consideration back to back for a minimum 10 Kms and decide.
Also, you can include adventure bikes like the Himalayan and KTM 390 Adventure in the list as these bikes also have an upright relaxed riding posture for long distance touring.

You can also explore some premium bikes like the Versys 650 (used) as you have mentioned a budget up to Rs 5 lakh.

By the way, which is your current bike?

Last edited by Silver Knight : 22nd March 2020 at 19:20. Reason: Added some more points.
Old 22nd March 2020, 23:02   #18
BHPian

My suggestion would be to go for the Interceptor 650.
Don't worry too much about the seat because you can anyday put on an air cushion seat like the Fego Air Float ( which I have been using on my 6 year old Classic 350 and 8 months old Interceptor as well). The ergonomics are really great if you set aside the food pegs and the engine is nothing but a gem considering its price range.
I love hitting the highways very frequently and my last ride on my Orange Crush aka Nemo was a little over 1180kms from Kolkata to Chitrakoot Falls via Araku Valley(in approximately 18 hours or so). Loved its performance on the straights and as well as on the twisties.
And since it comes from the Royal Enfield stable, the possibilities of modifications are practically limitless !
turboNath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 00:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Technically the Rebel is a Bobber and not a cruiser.
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Hi mate,

Have gone through your dilemma. And let me assure you that this is not a new one. Almost everybody who wants to get into riding from driving and is in his 30's-40's, goes through this confusion. I was also in the same boat. But there is a very old saying-if you are confused, do what everybody else does. It is the safest bet. In my case, blindfolded went for Thunderbird 350. The machine was well below my budget but did tick most of the boxes and suited my requirements. And let me assure you that after riding this beautiful machine for well over 17000 kms, i am pretty happy with my choice. I have done almost 850 kms in one day and many more such trips. The machine has always performed brilliantly. There has been no issues with this bike in my one and a half years of ownership. I did some modifications to the seat and the bike. You can find my full review on my YouTube channel as well. I am providing u the link.

Do let me know your thoughts. But remember that there are issues with each and every machine. We all have to learn to live with it.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:18   #21
BHPian

Agreed 100 percent. Dominar 400 UG is the best upgrade you can think of right now, if you consider the price bracket. It can cruise at 100-130 kmph all day long. I have the older model and can vouch for its cruising ability. I am a short guy at 5.4" and can handle it pretty well in traffic as well. The newer model is very well tuned, extra HPs are always welcome and masks all the previous glitches to a great extend.

Last edited by Tuisha110HP : 23rd March 2020 at 13:45. Reason: added more points
Old 25th March 2020, 18:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
You mentioned that the Rebel is upcoming, is there any such news?

I really hope it is true, as I have been mentioning on various threads, this space is a huge missed opportunity for the Japanese brands

Only part of their success is the RE branding, in my opinion it is just sheer lack of any other choice in this space and the need for these vehicles.

2. Avenger 400 (sometime back there was a rumor they are going to plonk the Dominar / Duke engine in the Avenger; I guess they will do that, since Dominar failed to really dislodge RE in its space, and it makes logical sense).

... or
3. Go to the used-bike market with a few lakhs, and look for a used Harley (the 883 is delicious)
Thanks Raju. I saw the Rebel news on a Team-BHP thread.
I too don't understand why the Japanese aren't bringing their cruiser line here.
Yes, there are very few choices in the affordable cruiser category in India.
The Avenger doesn't come close to the Royal Enfields in character, sound or even seat/suspension comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
The Harley is unfortunately probably the worst ever for commuting!

I was once sitting in traffic and a harley 750 street pulled up next to me. We kept pace together in the traffic for 6 mins but I let him go ahead as my legs were getting fried 2 feet away from his engine! God knows how he managed to bear the heat when his leg was 2 inches away!

@OP - Do consider a used Z650 too.
Although Harleys are very enticing, they only make sense for long drives. They are too hot for running around the city.
The Z650 isn't a cruiser. I won't be satisfied with any bike that isn't. It'll feel like a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Have gone through your dilemma. And let me assure you that this is not a new one. Almost everybody who wants to get into riding from driving and is in his 30's-40's, goes through this confusion. .
I suspected that this dilemma is common. That's probably why this thread went to the homepage (Thanks for that).
I love your seat modification.
The TB 350 is what was on top of my shortlist.

I saw a TB 350x up close a few days ago. It looked and felt so delicious. Similar to a regular 350 in character but feels more modern with much better looking parts. So much that I was willing to give up on the Buckhorn (curved) handlebars. I've read that vibrations go down after 10,000km of riding.
What do you guys think of buying a used TB 350x that has done more 10,000km and fit it with a Carberry vibration reduction plate? Then I'll only have to deal with bad reliability and non buckhorn handlebars (which can be changed anyways). And it'll be much cheaper than the imported bikes.

I forgot to mention. I'm 5'11" and 83 kgs and can't sit very long on any kind of bike cause my bum hurts.

Last edited by evil_grin : 25th March 2020 at 18:32.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 10:36   #23
BHPian

Yes mate. The vibrations definitely go down. Or in other words, you can safely say that you get used to it. Carberry vibration reduction plates are just for namesake. You can go through the reviews of NCR motorcycles on this. Have met this guy-Rummy Rider personally and feel that he is the best in business. Better than the best in Royal Enfield itself. He gives you a fair review and opinion.

Also please note that the curved handlebars of Thunderbird 350 are a boon on the highways and city equally. With your height and weight, let me assure you that the type of seat modification i have done, they are super comfortable. I meet many fellow bikers on the road and they want to test my modified seat. They also infer that the seat mod is excellent
Old 29th March 2020, 16:56   #24
BHPian

Hi
Trust me I was in a very similar situation at the start of the year when I had to replace my 8 year old avenger. My situation was a bit more complicated as I needed a bike only for commutes within the city and had my Ninja 650 for highway and touring duties.
My heart was set on the Thunderbird just like you. And I too did have doubts about the quality. Hunted for a few pre owned ones , but ultimately went for a new one. And have been really happy so far. Am slowly and steadily adding accessories to it and I could not have been happier with the way it’s turning out. Be patient with it, and you will fall in love with the characteristics of that long stroke engine
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-0d09b6c505c84386ba5b18028a956d1e.jpeg
Hamza123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 18:51   #25
BHPian

Since, you have a lot of time, why don't you wait for TVS Zeppelin? It is a cruiser motorcycle to be launched in a few months and looks great. Being a TVS, should be feature rich too. Am saying it because am also thinking of getting a bike and Avenger / Thunderbird are on my list. Am more inclined towards Avenger but getting deterred by availability of only a single channel ABS. Am just thinking of waiting for Zeppelin before putting my money on some bike.
Old 8th June 2020, 00:52   #26
BHPian

Hi evil_grin,

The dilemma you are going through right now is very similar to the one I am also going through. After having gone through a variety of bikes ranging from Xtreme 160R to Versys 650 I am as of now primarily inclined towards Thunderbird 350 (pity 500 is no longer available as new and there doesn't seem to be any plan of Thunderbird 650). The main reason I am inclined towards Thunderbird is comfort (especially pillion comfort) and character. My usage is also more inclined towards long distance travel.
As far as vibrations are concerned an interesting suggestion to reduce it can be found in fellow Team-Bhpian Hamza123' review
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...underbird.html (My 2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird)

However the catch in your case is that if you are going to purchase a new steed it will likely be 2 years from now.

By this time I don't think Thunderbird will be available with UC Engine and Thunderbird 350X may be retired in favor of upcoming Meteor.

If you were going to purchase now I would have given you two options
1. Thunderbird 350
2. Pre-owned CBR250R (not a cruiser but has everything you need)

However as you are going to likely make this purchase if it happens in 2 years from now my suggestion would be

1. Jawa Parak - I agree this is totally out of the box but likely in two years time Jawa will have sorted out most of the issues with Perak (if any) and this one is surely going to satisfy all your requirements and more so long as you can live with the single seat

2. Upcoming RE options - Royal Enfield is supposed to come with a few new bikes other than meteor so maybe you can wait and look for them.

I don't see any other prominent cruiser India bound in near future (Rebel if it ever comes we don't know how Honda will price it)
Old 14th July 2020, 16:33   #27
BHPian

Friends,

Have been following this thread for a while. I'm a lot similar to @evil_grin in terms of my riding style. Prefer cruisers and have been riding ever since the first Bajaj Eliminator was launched.

Anyway, I couldn't keep my eyes off what @jeepster posted (Thanks @jeepster).

If you believe in Love at First Sight - It was the Kawasaki Vulcan S.

I understand it's not a traditional cruiser, but man I love the way she looks and rides.

Tracked Bulletraja (a used bike dealer) in Mumbai and finally got mine in May'20 amidst the lock-down. Its a March 2018 model with just 5600 kms on the clock. The dealer had 2 (the other one is in the pic. @jeepster posted)

Here's what I feel:
1. Power Delivery is fantastic
2. Comfortable ride, Suspension is not the best, but good enough
3. Yes, the ground clearance is pathetic. Have to be really really careful on speed bumps. Perhaps a future exhaust upgrade will take care of the ground clearance
4. Almost 2 months used, and giving a mileage of 21 kmpl. More than what I expected
5. Many don't like the way it sounds, but I do. Not really into the loud noise most custom exhausts make. Note - I'm not talking about the roar most sportsbike make. That's just awesome

So, if there is anyone still wanting to make a decision, I say, go for the Vulcan. Bulletraja still has one of them.

Stay Safe & Ride Safe..!
DharmeshGohil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 11:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmeshGohil View Post
Friends,

Have been following this thread for a while. I'm a lot similar to @evil_grin in terms of my riding style. Prefer cruisers and have been riding ever since the first Bajaj Eliminator was launched.

Anyway, I couldn't keep my eyes off what @jeepster posted (Thanks @jeepster).

If you believe in Love at First Sight - It was the Kawasaki Vulcan S.

I understand it's not a traditional cruiser, but man I love the way she looks and rides.

Tracked Bulletraja (a used bike dealer) in Mumbai and finally got mine in May'20 amidst the lock-down. Its a March 2018 model with just 5600 kms on the clock. The dealer had 2 (the other one is in the pic. @jeepster posted)

Here's what I feel:
1. Power Delivery is fantastic
2. Comfortable ride, Suspension is not the best, but good enough
3. Yes, the ground clearance is pathetic. Have to be really really careful on speed bumps. Perhaps a future exhaust upgrade will take care of the ground clearance
4. Almost 2 months used, and giving a mileage of 21 kmpl. More than what I expected
5. Many don't like the way it sounds, but I do. Not really into the loud noise most custom exhausts make. Note - I'm not talking about the roar most sportsbike make. That's just awesome

So, if there is anyone still wanting to make a decision, I say, go for the Vulcan. Bulletraja still has one of them.

Stay Safe & Ride Safe..!
Congratuations, do share pictures of your bike. The Vulcan comes with the Ergo Fit system, do talk to your dealer about it and see if they can arrange any parts from it, if you feel the need for it. Maybe once you cover more kilometers you might feel that there are some areas that can be tweaked through the Ergo Fit parts.

Also how was your buying experience with Bulletraja? A friend mentioned that they dont give test rides of the bikes, so it is buy on sight. Any truth to this?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 20:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Congratuations, do share pictures of your bike. The Vulcan comes with the Ergo Fit system, do talk to your dealer about it and see if they can arrange any parts from it, if you feel the need for it. Maybe once you cover more kilometers you might feel that there are some areas that can be tweaked through the Ergo Fit parts.

Also how was your buying experience with Bulletraja? A friend mentioned that they dont give test rides of the bikes, so it is buy on sight. Any truth to this?
Thanks Neil. Don't have a lot of pictures but here are some along with the mods/accessories I added.

Day I bought it
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-20200508_185502.jpg

Fitted the backrest. Very important, otherwise very high chance the pillion will fall off - Unless you want it that way
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-20200525_102329.jpg

Made a paddock stand too.
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-20200531_140707.jpg

For those who understand this:
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-20200606_181844.jpg

Top Rack:
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-20200610_170430.jpg

Radiator Guard:
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-20200613_162456.jpg

Final with the SHAD TopBox:
Midsize Cruiser motorcycle for commuting-inked20200610_175323_li.jpg

I also changed the headlamp and the pilot lights to LED - Autobahn seems to have good LED bulbs.

Regarding the ergo fit, I spoke to the dealer, and since this is a used bike, they're charging a bomb to switch to the extended reach system - which involves changing the seat too.

I think I'll be Ok for now. Have spent enough

So, my initial visit to Bulletraja was good. He does have a very good collection and more options to RE and KTM lovers.
Test ride depends. I did get one after I convinced him that I would buy the bike if I like it. And in fact, he took the pain of moving the bike out from his loft which took about half an hour. I can see why he doesn't give test rides, because moving them within his shop is a pain. He probably has around 100 bikes in his shop and they are parked so close that you can't even walk through them.
Basically, he would try to judge the customer before giving a test ride. If he feels, the buyer is genuine, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Both the owner and his son work together.. and they took the pain of delivering the bike during the lock-down period. Of course they needed the final payment payment too.
I didn't get the typical delivery experience due to the situation, though. But they took a lot of efforts in making sure things were safe for all. I would recommend Bulletraja. I do have to visit them again, once the RTO offices resume operations. Need to get the bike transferred.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2020 at 12:58. Reason: Attaching missing images
DharmeshGohil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 11:05   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmeshGohil View Post
I would recommend Bulletraja. I do have to visit them again, once the RTO offices resume operations. Need to get the bike transferred.
Thanks for sharing the feedback on the dealer and clarifying any misconceptions that I had The pictures that you uploaded didnt come through for some reason, can you try again?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks