Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 20:13   #1
BHPian

Compatible adjustable levers for my Apache 200

Hi,
Could some suggest me a good adjustable clutch and front brake levers for Apache 200? The one's I find by crud search on Amazon reveals only bad quality ones. I do not know neither good brands nor how to choose on that would be compatible with my bike. Could you please suggest something which is worthy investing?

Looking for adjustable levers because the distance is too far currently for my liking and a tiny bit for the looks.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Compatible adjustable levers for my Apache 200

Mod Note: Thread moved to the motorcycle section!
Old 18th March 2020, 08:49   #3
BANNED

Lets end this and other similar queries in one word. NO!

The use of non-oem components not only results in reliability concerns(front brake seizing, spontaneous failure) but can also pose as a safety threat(read sliced fingers).

Hence why you do not see anyone who clocks serious miles opt for these.

P.S. The ones that come on the KTM's etc. are of OEM quality and design and cannot even remotely be compared to the Chinese crap circulating the market.

Ride Safe,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 18th March 2020 at 08:54.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 09:00   #4
BHPian

Thats outright serious discouraging there Never knew a simple lever could slice a finger? The main reason I wanted this because I drive more in traffic and the lever are sometimes a far reach for me. A little inwards, I'd be happy and only easy solution and effective one I see are these adjustible levers.

P.S: Aren't there one good brand and all these levers are crap? A.K.A looks only accessories?
Old 18th March 2020, 10:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
I drive more in traffic and the lever are sometimes a far reach for me. A little inwards, I'd be happy and only easy solution and effective one I see are these adjustible levers.
There is a technical issue if you go for any of these levers. The moment, the play is less, clutch wont be depressing fully(although you may claim, you have depressed it fully through the lever, on the Engine side, clutch plates would not fully disengage the gear) leading to multiple complications. Hence, wont suggest.
Old 18th March 2020, 13:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Could some suggest me a good adjustable clutch and front brake levers for Apache 200? The one's I find by crud search on Amazon reveals only bad quality ones. I do not know neither good brands nor how to choose on that would be compatible with my bike. Could you please suggest something which is worthy investing?

Looking for adjustable levers because the distance is too far currently for my liking and a tiny bit for the looks.
You may want to check this out :

Its an adjustable brake lever.

I too have an apache 200 and find the clutch to be pretty good / easy to handle in traffic.
The brake lever does lack feel and I have been told by many to get the master cylinder setup replaced. I haven't done that yet for two reasons:
1. I'm lazy
2. It works fine for general everyday use, its only during long rides and continuous hard braking that it starts acting up and fading a bit.

If you have the non slipper clutch variant I would strongly suggest that you upgrade to a slipper clutch.
Alternately, you may also want to go for some thick handle grips - they may solve your problems temporarily.
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 14:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
clutch wont be depressing fully
I was fully aware of this situation while considering the adjustable lever and did a calculation with the clutch free play. I would want the lever to be bent inwards just about the clutch free play.

Currently, once the clutch lever travels the freeplay area, I have no issues grabbing it in with 4 full fingers else its usually the top quarter of fingers grabbing it initially until it travels the freeplay area.

Are there any other way for me than bending the stock lever (which equally damages it structurally) since most seem to be against my idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
You may want to check this out :
That's weird! Youtube suggested the same video today morning and I was wondering how Google baba knew what I was looking for!

Quote:
If you have the non slipper clutch variant I would strongly suggest that you upgrade to a slipper clutch.
It is a slipper clutch. The bike BS6 and hence its a standard. Its not the hardness of clutch/brake that's troubling me but the distance between the handlebars and the levers at times.

Quote:
Alternately, you may also want to go for some thick handle grips - they may solve your problems temporarily.
It might but would make the handlebar bulky in the process.

P.S: Trying to understand why such levers exists if most are against it.
Old 18th March 2020, 17:06   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Thats outright serious discouraging there
I have a pair with me, was gifted by a fellow enthusiast, used it for about 5 km's at max before scrapping it. Hence know better.

Quote:
Never knew a simple lever could slice a finger?
A fellow enthusiast T boned a car that took and illegal U turn on the interstate, his fingers were sliced through his Dainese gloves.

With the stock lever you're looking at a fracture and a bent lever.

Quote:
The main reason I wanted this because I drive more in traffic and the lever are sometimes a far reach for me. A little inwards, I'd be happy and only easy solution and effective one I see are these adjustible levers.
If money is not an issue then get the clutch yoke and lever and MC kit from the new Duke 390, would set you back by about 4k but at least you get quality OEM stuff.

Plus its cheaper than the Racing Boy Radial MC which costs IIRC about 8~12k or maybe more, don't recall exact price, a friend and fellow enthusiast is a dealer.

Quote:
P.S: Aren't there one good brand and all these levers are crap? A.K.A looks only accessories?
Nope. None.
Old 18th March 2020, 17:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
If money is not an issue then get the clutch yoke and lever and MC kit from the new Duke 390, would set you back by about 4k but at least you get quality OEM stuff.
Thanks. Might consider this if that's the only solution. Though the price is not 100% convincing but doable, my initial idea of using the adjustable levers is also because the amount of modification is bare minimum. Last thing I want is the dealer denying warranty. I'm being already roaming around the ASC for warranty claims which is being detailed in the ownership thread.
Old 22nd March 2020, 14:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Let's be honest here. Just because one doesn't like adjustable levers, doesn't mean it would be the same for everyone. As a matter of fact, every individual's palm size differs, and adjustable levers do give great leverage and reach and most of all the feedback from brake levers.

The ones that are sold online MOXI, and generic and all the Chinese stuff, are decent, provided, one GETS THE RIGHT LEVER and installs the right way, plus stay away from levers that offer too much teeny weeny allen bolts which can come off anytime and can cause a heart attack. Been there, experienced that.

Hence, I would advice you to get levers that are one solid billet piece, and rather not have too much small screws for axial adjustment other than the basic lever adjustment itself.

Do your homework, take the risk, you have good return policies on the likes of Amazon and stuff. Try it, if you like it, good, if you don't, return it.

The key is the right lever. Get the wrong ones, and you can and will jam the master cylinder and there have been cases of these kind of levers jamming the MC piston and locked the front wheel. Due diligence goes a long way.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:32   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Let's be honest here. Just because one doesn't like adjustable levers, doesn't mean it would be the same for everyone.
Lets make things easy:
  • Is the part OEM? No
  • Is the part from a reliable source? No
  • Does the part at least have a reliable track record? No
  • Then should you be using it? Hell No!
See, wasn't that difficult.

Quote:
The ones that are sold online MOXI, and generic and all the Chinese stuff, are decent, provided, one GETS THE RIGHT LEVER
Compatible adjustable levers for my Apache 200-20200322_201424.jpg

My experience says otherwise, this was the one gifted to me and is the right model as per the package, the depth of the indentation for the MC's piston is inaccurate, which for the average Joe goes unnoticed until it is too late.

When partially engaged it would block the return port of the MC and since the pad is in contact with the rotor it builds up pressure resulting in the front brake seizing.

Quote:
installs the right way
Its a lever, how is it even possible to install it the wrong way?

If at all a question of installing it the wrong way comes up I'd suggest seeking professional help.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 22nd March 2020, 22:57   #12
RMN
BHPian

Ah, aftermarket levers. From my experience fitting them/getting them fit/using them on all sort of bikes from 150cc's to 1400's, all I can say is that..they are not worth it. Somehow, the clutch engagement is always dicey with these levers. I'm talking about both chinese makes at the ones from reputable makers such as Rizoma & Triumph.

I generally myself carry out most of he works on my bike and yet after fitting the Triumph levers on a Daytona, I took it to the SVC to see if they can rectify and they never could.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
As a matter of fact, every individual's palm size differs, and adjustable levers do give great leverage and reach
The exact reason I wanted adjustable levers.

Notice how far the palm stretches out. If it were an inch inside, it would be easy by looooong way.
P.S: It is only my middle finger which grasps the lever with ease. Not always easy to pull the lever with one finger.
Compatible adjustable levers for my Apache 200-gh010277_1584949236336_high.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

My experience says otherwise, this was the one gifted to me and is the right model as per the package, the depth of the indentation for the MC's piston is inaccurate, which for the average Joe goes unnoticed until it is too late.

When partially engaged it would block the return port of the MC and since the pad is in contact with the rotor it builds up pressure resulting in the front brake seizing.
To be honest, until I was looking for a lever, I never knew lever isn't something "One size fits all" which was my assumption before. This is also why I'm looking for a solution to fix my problem at the minimal modification (at the moment, I'm ok for suggestions outside replacing levers too)

Also AP, if you dont mind can you share your contact number on PM so I could ask you a bit more questions? (Definitely no stalking) Would understand if you wouldn't too

Last edited by vijai : 23rd March 2020 at 14:48. Reason: Aligned the attachment
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:08   #14
BANNED

Quote:
It is only my middle finger which grasps the lever with ease.
Yeah, that is how it is.

Make sure you have kept recommended freeplay, else it'd take more effort than ideal to pull the clutch lever in.

Quote:
Also AP, if you dont mind can you share your contact number on PM so I could ask you a bit more questions? (Definitely no stalking) Would understand if you wouldn't too
Sure, will P.M. contact. But let me be honest, I'm not that prudent when it comes to checking phone messages as I'd wrecked my phone a while ago during a ride and currently running off a backup device.

Edit: Seems I cannot PM you as it is yet to be enabled for your profile.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 23rd March 2020 at 16:10.
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Notice how far the palm stretches out. If it were an inch inside, it would be easy by looooong way.
Have you tried this temporary solution suggested by 'jomson13'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Quote:
P.S: It is only my middle finger which grasps the lever with ease. Not always easy to pull the lever with one finger.
Another alternative would be changing of angle of lever. That mayn't help in reach to lever however it would be easier to operate the lever. Check video from MCGarage, notice how Ari suggests changing angle of lever for a straight line from shoulder to lever. Not all adjustments shown in video would be applicable to most motorcycles here though.

Most Viewed