Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 19:04   #31
BHPian

Re: TVS in talks with Norton for an acquisition. EDIT: Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allterrain View Post
TVS Motor company has acquired Norton Motorcycles for Rs.153.12 Cr.

I am sure they have done their due diligence.
Yes I would think so too, strangely, you would think they would clarify that since it’s been reported earlier and the Chinese OEM claims that their deal is unaffected. Might be reading too much into it, was a very short press release after all. I am sure we will get a clearer picture once the lockdown is lifted. Maybe a case of getting all their ducks in a row by then.

I was just wondering aloud since the amount involved is loose change for tvs, especially when you consider that they potentially get access to ready-built platforms and models under development which include a smaller capacity parallel twin. I would estimate a grounds up development of the size and quality that RE did for the twins, would cost around 1000 crores if not more(remember reading this figure somewhere, will try and find a link),especially for a bike maker who have no prior experience beyond 300cc singles.

Cost-wise, and brand recognition wise, it’s easy to understand what motivated tvs. Only potential spanner in the works is the engine platform sale as I see it. Setting up a manufacturing facility in 6 months, if needed, should not be an issue.
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 22:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
Yes I would think so too, strangely, you would think they would clarify that since it’s been reported earlier and the Chinese OEM claims that their deal is unaffected. Might be reading too much into it, was a very short press release after all.
Since the TVS gets the IP and the Brands, the Chinese guys may have to license the Brand name from TVS, wouldn't they. Unless the change the name to something else

Just a thought

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 18th April 2020, 22:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Since the TVS gets the IP and the Brands, the Chinese guys may have to license the Brand name from TVS, wouldn't they. Unless the change the name to something else

They have indicated to MCN that they plan to build new bikes around the engine, and that design will be done in Italy, with a possible concept coming by next year. I don’t think they plan to license the brand, and neither will tvs be willing I feel

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th April 2020 at 10:02. Reason: Broken quotes fixed
Old 18th April 2020, 22:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
They have indicated to MCN that they plan to build new bikes around the engine, and that design will be done in Italy, with a possible concept coming by next year. I don’t think they plan to license the brand, and neither will tvs be willing I feel
What Mr Nair is trying to say is, now the Chinese will be forced to ask TVS to license the brand name to them to allow manufacture and sale under the Norton brand, which TVS has every right to say No to, and they will say NO.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th April 2020 at 10:03. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 23:16   #35

I feel this is a great move by TVS as they have created a new opportunity to tap an entirely new segment which Royal Enfield is currently ruling without much competition. From a brand perspective, Norton being an iconic British company is going to help them further.

Eicher Motors effectively invested in RE and is making huge profits for them currently, Bajaj did the same with KTM which was also a great move. I think it is too soon to know if Mahindra got it right with the JAWA launch.

The TVS Norton collaboration will hopefully be able to launch and sell affordable motorcycles that can compete with RE and JAWA, I doubt if this will be possible extensively by the TVS BMW collaboration. Indian companies like Hero, Bajaj and TVS always want volumes.
Old 18th April 2020, 23:18   #36
Team-BHP Support

Chinese brands bought the engine rights, not the brand license right?

Jinlang bought the rights to the 961 engine, and Zongshen had bought the rights to use the 650cc motor and Chinese sales of the Atlas itself. They're planning their own ADV model and sport tourer for 2021.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th April 2020 at 23:27.
Old 19th April 2020, 09:44   #37
BHPian

I sincerely hope they build a new line of products with this acquisition. Any chance they will be VFM bikes ?

I also hope they don't go about plonking their 310 cc engine to use existing engines. Norton chassis and TVS engine
Old 19th April 2020, 10:14   #38
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

IMHO it's a great move by TVS. I read about the troubles faces by Norton in another post and it is a risk no matter how you look at it.

But 16 million GBP is a decent price to own an iconic brand. Also it feels good that so many British corporations are owned by Indians now, kind of a weird karma if you will.

Norton has good brand value I believe and TVS can surely use it for its tourer, cruiser, cafe racer and retro themed motorcycles.

It's a baller move from TVS and I hope they can make something great out of it. Can't wait to see what they come up with now. Fingers crossed.
Himanshu809 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 10:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post
IMHO it's a great move by TVS. I read about the troubles faces by Norton in another post and it is a risk no matter how you look at it.

But 16 million GBP is a decent price to own an iconic brand. Also it feels good that so many British corporations are owned by Indians now, kind of a weird karma if you will.

Norton has good brand value I believe and TVS can surely use it for its tourer, cruiser, cafe racer and retro themed motorcycles.
Couple of points, only one of which is serious
1) who has the rights to the Vincent name I wonder? Is there someone in Hero MotoCorp trawling through legal documents to find that out? Honestly Norton is probably the greatest motorcycle brandname to buy with huge recognition all over the world - but Vincent is revered although much more 'remote'.

2) it requires INCREDIBLE effort to run an operation offshore - buying a company is just the 1%. Having seen TVS at fairly close quarters, they will need a huge amount of agility and the ability to take quick decisive actions - and that isn't really in their current skill sets.

I look forward to the ride, I hope it isn't a rough one and that TVS makes a success out of this.
Skidrow is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 10:47   #40
KMT
BHPian

The failing effort by Mahindra to resurrect the Jawa brand name should serve as a blueprint to TVS on what not to do.
Dispite being cheesy, the Chinese seem to have had much more success in India with the MG logo.

Buying the logo is indeed the easiest step of a long journey.
I do hope TVS is successful.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 16:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Chinese brands bought the engine rights, not the brand license right?

Jinlang bought the rights to the 961 engine, and Zongshen had bought the rights to use the 650cc motor and Chinese sales of the Atlas itself. They're planning their own ADV model and sport tourer for 2021.
Isn't there any single brand in the world that the Chinese don't have their hands on?.

Quote:
Norton has good brand value I believe and TVS can surely use it for its tourer, cruiser, cafe racer and retro themed motorcycles
Frankly , i don't think anyone remembers Norton in india. Sure, enthusiasts know the brand but its nostalgia evoking power is not the same as lamby or yezdi/jawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
The failing effort by Mahindra to resurrect the Jawa brand name should serve as a blueprint to TVS on what not to do.
The difference is TVS and Mahindra and not Jawa and Norton. TVS are way better in 2 wheeler segment in terms of VFM products and service than Mahindra.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2020 at 17:10. Reason: Language check...
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 16:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post
Couple of points, only one of which is serious
1) who has the rights to the Vincent name I wonder? Is there someone in Hero MotoCorp trawling through legal documents to find that out? Honestly Norton is probably the greatest motorcycle brandname to buy with huge recognition all over the world - but Vincent is revered although much more 'remote'.

2) it requires INCREDIBLE effort to run an operation offshore - buying a company is just the 1%. Having seen TVS at fairly close quarters, they will need a huge amount of agility and the ability to take quick decisive actions - and that isn't really in their current skill sets.

I look forward to the ride, I hope it isn't a rough one and that TVS makes a success out of this.

Exactly. I believe TVS is much better than Bajaj when it comes to product quality.

But they lack behind in swift moves to capture the market and ASS.

I hope they can do it, use the Norton brand to bring a fabulous VFM product in India.

Also,
Can anyone tell me what happened to Bajaj/Triumph collaboration?

I love Triumphs, my favorites being the speed twin and the bobber. But they're quite expensive as of now, at least for me.
Old 19th April 2020, 16:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Also,

I love Triumphs, my favorites being the speed twin and the bobber. But they're quite expensive as of now, at least for me.

The first Bajaj-Triumph bikes will be available from 2022 with prices starting at less than Rs 2 lakh for a 200 cc motorcycle.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 16:59   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

They are co-developing 200 - 750cc bikes for Indian and international markets. Will be launched sometime in 2022 and the entry-level motorcycles into the range will carry a price tag of around 2 lakhs.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 17:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
The first Bajaj-Triumph bikes will be available from 2022 with prices starting at less than Rs 2 lakh for a 200 cc motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
They are co-developing 200 - 750cc bikes for Indian and international markets. Will be launched sometime in 2022 and the entry-level motorcycles into the range will carry a price tag of around 2 lakhs.
Cool. Good to know that. Though I'm concerned about Bajaj's low quality creeping in the new products like the NS/AS200 and Dominar. I hope I'm wrong.

Let's wait for Norton products.

Most Viewed