Old 26th December 2020, 13:00   #196
BHPian

Re: 2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Attachment 2096948
Finally she is home

Took delivery today.
Many congratulations Nitinbhaskar. Wish you many safe miles and memories. I am sure you will find enough new reasons for a ride!
Mogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 21:11   #197
BHPian

So I have been riding quite a bit but was initially disappointed with the ride quality as it was too stiff. I was wondering how can everyone praise the suspension with this set up.

But then I found the culprit - tyre pressure. During delivery, the SA mentioned that the pressure has been maintained as per BMW recommendation and hence I didn't get it re-checked. To my surprise the readings were ~ 4 bars (the recommendation is 1.5 bar front and 1.7 bar rear). I quickly toned it down and the change was so refreshing. Now she just glides over things.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-1st-ride.jpg

Today morning took her out for spin and just ventured into the laid back secondary village roads. Boy-o-Boy, was I in for a surprise. Apart from the amazing foggy weather, the experience of standing up and just demolishing the bad patches is so liberating and fun. The other folks on road just look at you astonished while they are crawling at 1st gear and you are moving on 3rd while kicking the dirt !!

I was literally grinning and laughing inside my helmet. So glad I didn't pick the Ninja/rr310 and went for the ADV segment. I could not have even imagined doing this on those sport tourers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
CONGRATULATIONS

Just yesterday while heading out of Bangalore saw a bunch of BMW bikers on a plathora of adventure bikes. The 310 fits right in with the big boys.

Have many a safe kms on the bike.

Please start an ownership thread too.
Many thanks for your wishes.
Ownership thread is WIP but it wont be ready until I ride 300 - 400 kms post 1st service (as I want to cover complete information). And the fly in the ointment is that the slot when I can take my bike for 1st service is on 28th of Jan, owing to tremendous bookings at Tusker BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Many congratulations Nitinbhaskar. Wish you many safe miles and memories. I am sure you will find enough new reasons for a ride!
Thanks Mogs.

Last edited by nitinkbhaskar : 27th December 2020 at 21:12. Reason: Typo
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 22:04   #198
BHPian

Since the service appointments are delayed and it is paid service, is it OK to exceed 1000km before first service?
Old 29th December 2020, 09:39   #199
BHPian

Quick update guys - Visited the dirt training session at Big Rock Dirt Park. A detailed report is posted here. (Offroad Riding - Tips & Advice)

Sharing some pictures from the ride to the facility and also within it

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-way-front.jpg

A quick shot of the rough patch on the way to facility

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-own-bike.jpg

Practicing saddling

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-img20201228wa0013.jpg

Switchable ABS in these terrains would have made it much more fun. Really a big miss in 2020 version

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-img20201228wa0015.jpg

Tackling some small humps

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-way-back.jpg

On the way back home. Though she is a good highway cruiser and decent city bike, these are the places where she truly shines !!

Also, I handed over the bike to trainer - Bhima for a circuit run around the track and below were his observations :

1. Bike is very refined compared to previous gen.
2. He was pleasantly surprised that the bike could go through the whole track in 3d gear without stalling. He was not expecting that.
3. Somehow he felt that this gen is lighter that the previous one (maybe because my bike has no crash guards or accessories installed until now)

On the way back to home, I cruised happily at 85 - 95 kmph. Only issue I noticed was that the rear view mirrors buzzed a bit (due to which you may not be able to make out exact model of car / vehicle but the dimensions of object behind you is totally visible)

At the end of the day, I was happy that I could use GS for what it is meant for - Highway cruising + Off roading + Light to moderate trails. With each ride, I feel confident on the bike and I am pretty sure I have a big learning curve up ahead and hence any need to upgrade in couple of years wont be required !!

Now only if fellow bangaloreans could share locations nearby where I can practice this stuff, it would be great

Quote:
Since the service appointments are delayed and it is paid service, is it OK to exceed 1000km before first service?
Couple of 100 kms should be fine. Just confirm with the service advisor. They would have shared his number with you. If not PM me and I will pass it forward.

Last edited by nitinkbhaskar : 29th December 2020 at 09:43.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 06:48   #200
BHPian

My friend who is not on team bhp has had a torrid time with the BS6 variant. He was so taken in by the riding position and suspension of the BS4 that he booked the BS6 without a test ride. He was among the first people in Bangalore to get it. He is riding after 20+ years so was not sure what to expect. But in the couple of months, he has done almost 2000 km on the bike. Overall, he loves the bike, is great on the highway and allows him to cruise at 110-120 easily. He has complaints about the vibes and the lack of grunt+refinement above 120.

On to his troubles
- Tusker has really messed up on the registration. It has been 2 months and there is no ETA on his permanent license plate. It so happened that the RTO chaps didnt enter the engine number in their system, so though it generated the regn number, it is not able to generate the license plate. In fact, they made him come to the RTO in Jayanagar and waste half a day to rectify it
- Last week, the bike would not start suddenly. It turned out that the battery was completely discharged. They say that the issue is with the battery rather than the famous alternator issue and have replaced it. Apparently, his is the first BS6 bike to face this problem. He ended up spending 500 to get it started and when it failed to start after that, another 2000 to have it towed to the service centre.

These niggles have really soured the experience of what is otherwise a very satisfying bike for him. The ride especially is amazing, especially when contrasted with the CB350 that I got at around the same time.
jaganm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 22:08   #201
BHPian

Folks, anybody who booked the bike recently? As per the dealer at Hyd (JSP Motorad), the wait time is around 2 months. They are not committing to a date, and asking for a non refundable deposit of 20k.

So if they delay the delivery or give me a bike that is not upto my expectations during PDI, I have no option but to be at his mercy.

Is this the case with dealers in other cities too? Oh, btw he is also charging 10k for handling charges.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 23:48   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
- Last week, the bike would not start suddenly. It turned out that the battery was completely discharged. They say that the issue is with the battery rather than the famous alternator issue and have replaced it. Apparently, his is the first BS6 bike to face this problem. He ended up spending 500 to get it started and when it failed to start after that, another 2000 to have it towed to the service centre.
There is a seperate thread available to post the battery related issues, if you have not posted already. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...esponsive.html (Major battery issue with the BMW G 310 R and GS! BMW Motorrad India is unresponsive)
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:31   #203
BHPian

Hi folks!

I have only started riding recently on a Bullet 350 and I think it's time to consider getting a new one for myself.

I am 5'10" and a bit overweight. I have been suggested to get a cruiser, but somehow I feel the 310R is one that would suit my personality.

I have been driving for a long time, and dealing with unprofessional dealers, though unpleasant, is not a big concern if I really like a make/model.

However, my question to everyone is whether the 310R is a good starter bike (especially over a Royal Enfield with a 350 cc)?
Old 4th January 2021, 07:19   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post
I have only started riding recently on a Bullet 350 and I think it's time to consider getting a new one for myself.

I am 5'10" and a bit overweight. I have been suggested to get a cruiser, but somehow I feel the 310R is one that would suit my personality.

However, my question to everyone is whether the 310R is a good starter bike (especially over a Royal Enfield with a 350 cc)?
Sorry, didn't understand your query properly. You want to change the bike because you have been suggested to get a cruiser? Who suggested it? And if you are 5'10" and bit overweight, RE 350 should already fit your requirement.

310R is decent enough bike for who is looking to upgrade from regular 150 cc or 200 cc. Rest it all depends upon user preference and your skill set. You would like to explain a bit more to get some response from fellow members. Or go and take a test ride of all options and decide what is best for you.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 4th January 2021 at 07:20.
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 12:37   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
He ended up spending 500 to get it started and when it failed to start after that, another 2000 to have it towed to the service centre.
This is something which I also dread. BMW RSA is just too expensive. Anyone who has bought a third party RSA package ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Folks, anybody who booked the bike recently? As per the dealer at Hyd (JSP Motorad), the wait time is around 2 months. They are not committing to a date, and asking for a non refundable deposit of 20k.

So if they delay the delivery or give me a bike that is not upto my expectations during PDI, I have no option but to be at his mercy.

Is this the case with dealers in other cities too? Oh, btw he is also charging 10k for handling charges.
Bangalore dealer asks for 50k non-refundable deposit. So the Hyd one is definitely better in that aspect. However, do get that handling charge waived off. I didn't pay any such thing for my bike. Can you post the the detailed break-up of price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaityari View Post
There is a very good discussion happening here (Questions related to buying & maintaining a motorcycle in India) on a similar topic.
Essentially, there is no way you can compare the 310R with 350cc lots of RE / Honda. It all boils down to your preferred riding style.
You like relaxed ride wherein the torque comes in early and takes care or rest -> get a long stroke thumper (350s of RE / Honda).
You like to revv the nuts of engine and enjoy staying in higher rev bands -> get a short stroke motor (naked - Duke 390, 310R / faired or semi faired - Dominar, RR310).

Hope you get the drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Or go and take a test ride of all options and decide what is best for you.
Cannot agree more on this if you are resuming riding after a long time and are unsure of what you want. Such test rides reveal a lot about bike and also your inclination towards a particular riding style.

All the best sdaityari !!

-----

So I have started exploring near by places for practicing my skills. Would need to spend good amount of time to develop the muscle memory.

I am noticing a khad-khad sound when I go over a pothole or a speed breaker at a bit higher speed. Tried to find out the issue and I feel its due to the chain roller. Anyone else facing this ?

On a positive note, the GTT feature from 310 RR is present in the 310 GS too. Hence, if you just want to soak in the scenery, slot in 3rd gear, relax your right wrist and the bike just chugs along at 21 kmph without any throttle input. I used this a lot during my previous ride.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-practice.jpg

Practicing on a dirt ground nearby

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-img_20210102_072744.jpg

Exploring new places. This is what the GS is meant for

Have clocked 400 KMs till now. Now that the 1st service is scheduled on 28th Jan, I am being conservative in my riding else I will break 1000 Kms much before that.
Plain stupid that one needs to wait for delivery of the bike first and then also the 1st service appointment
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:42   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post

I just checked out the GS310 yesterday at BMW Motorrad Mumbai (Navnit Motors).
They mentioned a waiting period of 2-3 months, if i book it today delivery by last week march. Booking amount 10K,refundable. i figured out the quote had 10k handling charges mentioned by some other name clubbed with another expense.
One major concern i have now is about the availability of Metzeler tyres on new dispatches due to the import duty issue, i asked them about it and they were not sure, as per them current dispatches are with Metzeler but not sure of future dispatches coming with the same.
My next stop at Royal Enfield for Interceptor, upon enquiring the sales guy clearly told that new Interceptors will most probably be coming with MRF/Ceat and not Pirelli, at least for the time being.

Query to friends owning the BS6 310s : During the test ride the bike stalled on me a couple of times in 1st gear at crawling speeds, i am coming from a much smaller bike (2006 avenger 180) but i felt at crawling speeds the 310 needs to be revved harder (over 2k RPM) to not stall it, i heard of this issue in the BS4 models but is it still apparent in the BS6 version ?

Last edited by Gaur : 6th January 2021 at 14:55.
Old 6th January 2021, 16:47   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
One major concern i have now is about the availability of Metzeler tyres on new dispatches due to the import duty issue, i asked them about it and they were not sure, as per them current dispatches are with Metzeler but not sure of future dispatches coming with the same.
Well that's something which is global in nature. Even KTMs have resorted to MRFs so can't really complain. If you like the bike just go ahead with it. You can swap the tyres once the ban eases out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Query to friends owning the BS6 310s : During the test ride the bike stalled on me a couple of times in 1st gear at crawling speeds, i am coming from a much smaller bike (2006 avenger 180) but i felt at crawling speeds the 310 needs to be revved harder (over 2k RPM) to not stall it, i heard of this issue in the BS4 models but is it still apparent in the BS6 version ?
Though I stalled the bike during the test ride. ride by wire has really taken care of the stalling issue by and large. Its all about understanding the bike and adjusting your throttle modulation. On top of that there is GTT feature wherein the bike would move at crawling speeds without any stalling. This really helps in traffic or when you just want to relax your right wrist. The rough crawling speeds at individual gears are :

1st Gear - 9 kmph
2nd Gear - 15 kmph
3rd Gear - 21 kmph
4th Gear - 25 kmph
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 18:52   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Well that's something which is global in nature. Even KTMs have resorted to MRFs so can't really complain. If you like the bike just go ahead with it. You can swap the tyres once the ban eases out.

Though I stalled the bike during the test ride. ride by wire has really taken care of the stalling issue by and large. Its all about understanding the bike and adjusting your throttle modulation. On top of that there is GTT feature wherein the bike would move at crawling speeds without any stalling. This really helps in traffic or when you just want to relax your right wrist. The rough crawling speeds at individual gears are :

1st Gear - 9 kmph
2nd Gear - 15 kmph
3rd Gear - 21 kmph
4th Gear - 25 kmph
Thanks for the info.
thinking to wait till the budget next month to get more clarity on the tyre import issue if any comes by.

Yes riding the BMW a bit more would have helped understand the throttle response, the T.D was hardly 1km, what surprised me was my 180 Avenger moves well in traffic with similar throttle input, immediately after the BMW test rode the Interceptor without stalling but its a torque monster so cant as such compare it with the GS.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:10   #209
BHPian

Big milestone - Finally zeroed in on the name for my bike. Was pondering over this for quite sometime. So much so that missus quipped that I didn't showed so much dedication while searching for name for our son

And the name is - Reyah !!
(It's an Islamic name which roughly relates to "winds" / "strength". Hoping that I enjoy the wind in hair wala feeling with Reyah for long long time to come.

Moving on, this Saturday paid a customary visit to Nandi hills this weekend. Though it was quite misty, place was full with folks from diverse background - Running champs, cyclists, bikers with full gear, bikers with helmet, bikers without helmet, bikers without helmet holding cameras while taking hairpin bends on slippery road and so on !!

I reached at the top, took a 5 - 10 sec of break and then rolled back down. While coming back found a trail which led me to a small pond. It was fun !!

Also started exploring the neighborhood and found great places near Hoskote.

Time for some pictures -

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-pond.jpg

The pond at the end of trail.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-nandi-hills-background.jpg

Nandi hills in the background. Somehow I enjoyed more here than at Nandi hills. Talk about being spoiled by Reyah.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-trail.jpg

The trail connecting back to main road. Notice the steep incline just below the handlebar. It was tricky to get out of here.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-farms.jpg

Rayah visiting some farms for the first time. At such places, all you need to do is kill engine, remove your helmet and the absorb the serenity and calmness around.

2020 BMW G310R and 310GS facelift-front-look-farms.jpg

Another shot from front angle

With Reyah at 600 odd Kms now, I can sum up quick impressions (considering the 6K rpm limit until 1st service):
+ Meat of the power lies between 3.5 to 6k RPM. She pulls clean in this band.
+ Totally satisfied with the illumination of stock lights. Don't need anything more for now.
+ Finding a good saddling position is now easy (thanks to my training) and the bike takes bad road gracefully. for eg: I was blasting away on the non-existent village back road at 40-50 kmph with ease. The suspension, my bent knees and elbows just absorbed everything and I was quite comfortable.
+ Adjustable levers and light clutch are quite helpful for navigating through rough patches or city traffic

- Inherent single cylinder vibrations do creep in at 5-5.5k rpm. However, it doesn't steal away the joy of riding (provided you are wearing gloves, riding boots etc)
- There is a khad-khad chain roller sound when I roll off the gas or go through the potholes.
- Switchable ABS. This should have been there. Period.
- Gearbox has a mind of its own. Sometimes, the shifts are seamless but sometimes its just clunky. However, I am getting better at finding neutral

A big point is that with Reyah I just drift away from my end destination a lot. I tend to get into some small trails, then spend good amount of time there and then realize that I am late for my actual ride !!

For now waiting for the accessories as they are out of stock at Bandidospitstop. Without them, I won't be able to practice a lot. Will put up a post once the accessories are finalized and purchased.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:57   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Got to ride about 300km over the weekend and the convenience and comfort factor really stand out.

Accessories worth the spend and work as expected -

Side stand, Rear Brake lever and Gear lever extenders, Engine gaurd, Engine crash gaurd, Radiator grill, Rear fender gaurd cover, Tyre hugger, High windshield (transparent would be better), Saddle stays

A few photos below:
Hey Mogs, congos on the ride. Could you share the link or info on the tire hugger? Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks