Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2020, 04:17   #1
BHPian

Ramblings of a bored mind! Do I need to get a new touring bike?

Hello there ! Long post alert !!

Prologue:

Times have been hard and for the good or bad, we all do have a lot of time in our hands that we are getting to spend at home ( we the IT lot have been working BAU or Business as usual as we say, but, at least we now have the commuting time cut out for us ).
And like they say an empty mind is a dangerous place for an auto/travel enthusiast. I'm pretty sure we all are contemplating a nice little getaway on our car/ bike or day dreaming on that one purchase which we do not really need !

When all of this current day situation clears out ,whether we actually ending up going on that trip or buying that bike or car is something secondary. But, its nice to have those nice little goals for all of us especially in times like these.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The past :

I have owned a lot of commuter bikes for the past 12 years. It all started with a pulsar DTSi during my graduation which we got as a pre-owned with ODO@ 34000. Added another 70000km on it in 2.5 years which was astonishing if I think about it now. ( My college commute was 60km one side from one of my house and 100km one side from the other )

Bought a pre owned Karizma but had to sell it pretty soon as it turned out to be a lemon. It ran good when it wanted to but, there were times when it just gave up on you . Traded that in for a dual disc Hunk which was a grave mistake. I should have known better that you as a auto enthusiast never downgrade come what may. Hated that thing as it just felt out of breath after 70( coming from a Karizma). Heck my pulsar with around 1 lakh on ODO felt like it had better power.

I just did not enjoy it's ownership and was flabbergasted with even the servicing attitude of the Hero showrooms. It felt like I was being given a free ration and had to reach at 8AM just to get a servicing slot.

Just when everything felt lost, my father out of blue asks me if I was interested in buying a Bullet which his colleague has booked but doesn't want to take delivery ( Those were the days when these 'Bullets' had an year of waiting time ) . Sold the hunk off with a year of ownership at 40% loss which was huge at that point of time as I just started to work. Selling the hunk was in itself a huge story but that's for some other time.
Then comes the shock of life when the RE showroom tells me that they cannot transfer a booking to another name and they take a new booking for a classic black 350 with I kid you not a 14 month waiting period

Well, the point is that we live in India and I knew that I had to pull every damn string and rope available to put pressure on the showroom staff to get me a bike. Well that did work out but, the catch was that they could deliver me a silver Electra or a thunderbird right away. Long story short , chose the silver bullet as my family still calls it . And lo behold , the silver lining came into my life and with it went all my meagre earnings on weekly rides and accessories.

Made a lot of friends , roamed around a whole lot of Andhra , Telangana ,Karnataka and TN using my Electra .
Made it into a 'Electramachismotic classic'. That's why my riding friends call it as it runs on Machsimo fenders and classic seating while still retaining the tank and side boxes of the electra .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter the 4 wheeled competition:

An alto entered my life in 2014 followed by a Duster in 2017. Duster has seen it all literally. Had the monthly trips to Pune from Hyderabad to meet my girlfriend. Then the numerous and really tense trips from Hyderabad to Pune again to meet her parents and family. Then was a part of my marriage in Vizag. Our first hospital visit after we knew we were pregnant to bringing our lovely daughter home on 13MAR'20.

So, the bulk of my travelling for the past 3 years was on the Duster with the Electra being relegated to weekend chores. Poor thing, my silver lining !

The present :

I haven't traveled anywhere for the past year as we were pregnant neither do I see myself traveling for the next 6 months as I do have some responsibilities at home and I do like being around my daughter even if it is 4 AM in the morning and I have got a call to catch up to at 8AM.

The Future . Really ?

So with some of the most stressful things out of the way in my life ( especially getting married cross culturally and getting everyone to agree - Our story is a proper Two states with her being from up north and me from the south coast- A story for some other time ), I am definitely looking forward to travel, socialize in meets, find those like minded group of 5 to 6 people to ride with and basically enjoy travelling again. Family trips would definitely be on the Duster which I enjoy driving but, this is for a bit of 'ME' time.

So what now ?

I have somehow successfully convinced my wife that my Electra is not good enough for long rides anymore as it used to stop all of sudden out of nowhere in the very rare times we used to commute together on the bike. Poor her, she doesn't know it's just a stupid fuse box

Moreover, from my point of view , somehow I don't have that 'butterflies in my stomach' feel anymore when I think of my Electra and a good destination to ride to. No doubt I still love my bike which has given me priceless memories but, I guess , I grew over it now that I'v had it for more than 7 years. Duster doing the primary holiday or that long trip duty did not help its cause as well with the 350 being nowhere near comfortable after getting pampered by the Duster. Also, going at 80kmph for a 500 or 600 km destination is not what I am looking forward to anymore.
Also, my over excited customization of the Electra has rendered it being uncomfortable especially after the classic seats and I have developed a upper back/neck pain when riding for 300 or more kms.

Why now ?

I have closed my Duster EMI 2 years before it's stipulated time just last month. And given a 6 month heads-up would like to save let's say 30k/month towards this and not go for a loan.

Now what ?

Indian mid segment(200-650) has matured so very well in the past few years. So, I do understand that there are a plethora of options catering to different needs.

So lets do the requirement analysis the IT way:

Requirement: Provision a decent highway touring bike with occasional office commute.

Profile of rider:

KMs ridden-2W : 150K
Most KMs in a day-2W : 800

KMS ridden-4W : 90K
Most KMs in a day-2W : 1200

Prerequisites:

1. No Downgrade
Cannot make the same mistake I made by buying the Hunk some years back. However lacking the top end might be for the electra. It does have a decent torque and I would definitely want something which is better
2. Budget - Anything around the 2-3 Lakhs should be good.
3. Retaining policy - My daughter is my priority going forward and I am not looking forward to making any further auto buying for atleast 10 more years.
So would want a keeper.
4. Primary would be used as a tourer. May be used for office commute once or twice a week( I hardly go to office. It has mostly been WFH for the past half year)

Good to haves:

1. Low end Torque
Got used to on both my Duster and obviously the Electra.
2. Decent range
Again Duster did spoil me in its 85ps avatar. Driven sedately, I could expect a minimum of 700km range which obviously inst possible on most motorcycles but touring being the main use case , range would be appreciated.
3. Touring potential
A must have. By this I mean availability of decent touring accessories as well as the bike being comfortable for it as well.
4. No back breaker
As I have entered my 30's , I obviously still have some years to do aggressive riding but, would like it to be comfortable.

Retaining policy:

1. If I end up getting one of the bikes in the top end of the price bracket that I have decided on, I would probably sell the Electra while I might retain it if I get something like a FZ25. Again, not really sure what I should or would do.

The contenders (atleast the ones that I can think of):

FZ25 : Looks to be the most value for money. Also seems to have potential for being a tourer with its low end torque.

Gixxer 250 : Does it really add over the FZ25 for being priced over by 35K ?

Dominor 400 : Pretty sure most of the suggestions are gonna come this way or the next contender. Somehow I'm not sold on the Bajaj on the long run.
I somehow cannot come out of my prejudice that bajaj vehicles do not stay smooth in the long run. My 70k experience withe the pulsar 1stgen DTSi.

Interceptor : It does tick everything. Saying that, now that I have grown up a little more, my mind does play its games.
Does it offer so much more at touring than lets say a FZ25 at more than double the cost?

Conti GT : Forget the need to ride, if i were rich, I would buy it just to put it up on display.
Was always a huge fan of Thruxton which used to be parked at my office in Melbourne. This was before even the GT535 came out.
If its the twins, the heart definitely asks for a 'Dr.Mayhem' or an 'Ice Queen'
But,alas, I guess for my use case, I would end up changing the handlebar.

Himalayan : Not a beauty queen by any means. Purpose built. Most comfortable in the lot. That engine though !

KTM : Im too old for this stuff. On a serious note though, I was very rash when I had the pulsar.
Somehow I have a feeling it will all come back if I get my hands on these things and their rev happy nature.
Or maybe I need to rethink now that I have matured ?
(390 ADV might be pushing the budget way over)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st April 2020 at 20:32. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
vamsi2390 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 05:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ramblings of a bored mind! Do I need to get a new touring bike?

If I am shopping this category at all, I would consider only three options:
1. If budget fits, buy the Interceptor.
2. If budget doesn't stretch to the Interceptor, then wait for the new RE Bullet that so many scoops have picked up. Going by the Interceptor, RE's all-new bikes from the ground up are going to be good. If for some reason I don't like this bike when it comes out, then:
3. Buy an Imperiale 400

If I were just shopping for a bike and not necessarily that category, then I would pick up the Gixxer 250.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 21st April 2020 at 05:54.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 12:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

If this is for a decade or more, increase your budget a little and go for 2.5L+. FZ25 felt too lethargic to me. Suzuki Gixxer (naked or fared) both seem nice. On team-bhp ownership reviews, someone mentioned that naked gixxer has a hard suspension, so you may want to test ride them first.

For touring, go for big rather than fast bikes, if you have to select one. See if you can get hands on BMW 310 GS as well. It is a stretch of budget, but you never know which bike will click.

If you really like a bike, don't settle for anything else and then live a whole decade lamenting why you didn't purchase your favourite one. One can't compare two bikes only based on their prices. Remember the profit margins of all manufacturers are similar, so it is not that Yamaha is making sacrifices selling FZ25 cheaper and RE is milking customers by pricing the Interceptor high. You get what you pay.

Last edited by ani_meher : 21st April 2020 at 12:07.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 13:08   #4
BHPian

If i were you, i would stick with just 2 bikes -

1. RE Interceptor - That low end and mid you are talking about, the bike delivers really good in that aspect.
2. Dominar 400 - I am with you regarding the old pulsars - i had a 220.
But we have to remember that, the bike was specifically tuned with touring in mind. Also, it shares many of it's major components with the KTM's, which should give a bit of piece of mind. It is a VFM product, with the best bang for buck, especially in the latest avtar (USD and better tuning). Preventive maintenance is the key.

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 21st April 2020 at 13:12.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
The contenders (atleast the ones that I can think of):

Interceptor : It does tick everything. Saying that, now that I have grown up a little more, my mind does play its games.
Does it offer so much more at touring than lets say a FZ25 at more than double the cost?

Himalayan : Not a beauty queen by any means. Purpose built. Most comfortable in the lot. That engine though !
First of all you're very young Vamsi! Forget the number, it's all in the mind. If you have this multi cylinder dream and want to own a twin cylinder rather simple machine then look no further than the Interceptor.

The Himalayan will give you comfort and the power to rule the bad roads same way a Duster will overcome bad patches over a Honda City!

Himalayan has panniers and all touring setup ready off the showroom. Interceptor has many third party luggage options. I thing you didn't mention is your height and weight which might help you in deciding!

I would suggest you to hit the RE showroom and TD the INT650 first, experience the low end torque. It's not perfect ergonomically, and you might need some modifications later. But the roadster might impress you. Then test ride the Himalayan and experience the handling supremacy, don't bother to slow down over potholes and speed breakers. Request for longer test rides for both the machines. This would make your preferences clear and please don't hope for a 650 Himalayan, it ain't coming anytime soon!

Dominar is an excellent VFM proposition. There are excellent ownership and experience threads on this forum,
1. Dominar Diaries - Ownership review of my Dominar 400
2. (Ruminations of an ageing wannabe Biker)Ruminations of an ageing wannabe Biker

One bike not mentioned which you might want to consider if the rumours of its price cuts are true is the BMW 310GS

Happy choosing,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 21st April 2020 at 13:56.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 17:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
If I am shopping this category at all, I would consider only three options:
1. If budget fits, buy the Interceptor.
2. If budget doesn't stretch to the Interceptor, then wait for the new RE Bullet that so many scoops have picked up. Going by the Interceptor, RE's all-new bikes from the ground up are going to be good. If for some reason I don't like this bike when it comes out, then:
3. Buy an Imperiale 400
Thank you for your kind suggestions.
1. Thats what the heart says as well but somehow my mind keeps repeating the 3.5 lakh mark. Lets see
2. Naah. not interested on the 350s anymore. Doesnt make sense to buy another similar looking bike with similar outputs or slightly better when the current bike is running all fine.
3. A big No. Benelli service is over priced. And the bike in itself doesnt inspire me to get it or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
If this is for a decade or more, increase your budget a little and go for 2.5L+. FZ25 felt too lethargic to me. Suzuki Gixxer (naked or fared) both seem nice. On team-bhp ownership reviews, someone mentioned that naked gixxer has a hard suspension, so you may want to test ride them first.

For touring, go for big rather than fast bikes, if you have to select one. See if you can get hands on BMW 310 GS as well. It is a stretch of budget, but you never know which bike will click.
Thats interesting on FZ25. Did you mean lethargic once you cross triple digit speeds or all throughout ? I do understand that it lacks a 6th cog but didnt expect it to be lethargic.
At near 4 Lakh OTR , i think the BMW GS is way too much of a stretch for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
If i were you, i would stick with just 2 bikes -
1. RE Interceptor - That low end and mid you are talking about, the bike delivers really good in that aspect.
2. Dominar 400 - I am with you regarding the old pulsars - i had a 220
Totally with you on the interceptor. Great bike. Still just contemplating on the cost of it . Coming from a middle class background, that 3 Lakh mark somehow keeps reverberating in my mind. Hope my heart sorts it out with my mind.

Dominor somehow does not give me that aspirational quotient. I know thats not a fair comment but thats just my opinion. I would rather get a KTM which is a more aspirational brand atleast to me.
Probably I should get it on a long drive which might change my mind about it. How does the Dominor fair in the long run btw ? Has it been niggle free?
And in case I would be getting a KTM or a Dominor, the Electra stays . So that is a win- win I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

The Himalayan will give you comfort and the power to rule the bad roads same way a Duster will overcome bad patches over a Honda City!

Himalayan has panniers and all touring setup ready off the showroom. Interceptor has many third party luggage options. I thing you didn't mention is your height and weight which might help you in deciding!

I would suggest you to hit the RE showroom and TD the INT650 first, experience the low end torque.

please don't hope for a 650 Himalayan, it ain't coming anytime soon!

One bike not mentioned which you might want to consider if the rumours of its price cuts are true is the BMW 310GS

Happy choosing,
surjaonwheelz
Oh thats a very good point. Cant believe I missed it.
Height - 5'10
Weight- 82 ( healthy and neither skinny nor fat)

Oh yeah, cant believe you read it out of my mind. A 650 himilayan would have been perfect. Just could not fathom the current engine after riding an interceptor.

While the GS is way out of budget, never knew it is gonna get a price cut. Lets see where it gets placed. Interesting developments I guess.

Interceptor is my baseline which would get bought if I cannot convince myself to buy anything else at the very end.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st April 2020 at 20:33. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please go by the rules. Thanks!
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 19:21   #7
BHPian

You are young, have become a father recently and this global pandemic is a once in a century event still unfolding in current times. So my advice to you is to just wait for a while - say next 8-12 months. Save up some money until then, see your daughter grow up - trust me this will take a lot of your time for at-least until she is 3 years old.

Then come to the market with an open mind and a higher budget. Open mind I say because I am recommending higher segment bikes and perhaps a used one too. Lets say a less than 2 year old CBR650R. Or any new mid-segment bike at that time as you will have a better budget.

The primary motivation to recommend this is because you want to keep the bike for a long time. So having something from a higher segment from what you have listed here will help there. You won't get bored easily and hence that itch to upgrade will not come so fast.
sunilch is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 20:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

It was an interesting read. Thanks to lockdown, i am seeing lot of long threads and am having free time to read them as well.

Well, looking at your ability to ride/drive for long hours, I don't think FZ25, Gixxer will do justice(unless you intend to use only for short weekend breakfast rides).

Personally, I am more of a 4W guy with over 2L kms and i have only ridden 100-150cc commuters(60-70k kms) and last rode a motorcycle a decade ago.

However that itch(than the need) is growing strong and lockdown is not helping this fellow IT techie either. I too am in similar boat with around 3-3.5L budget cap and then wife shows me the mirror (by showing my other toys - Guitar, Mountain bike and the DSLR)

Just curious, you intent to ride solo or with your pillion ? and what is your riding style (since you mentioned FZ25, Himalayan etc which are best suited for relaxed riding only)

Personally, i think below will meet your touring needs
1. RE Interceptor 650 - Can ride all day long(with better seats) and a right upgrade for a RE owner, Not suitable for pillion though
2. RE Himalayan - Best choice for relaxed riding.
3. Dominar - Built for touring, however doesn't look like a keeper beyond 3-4 years.
4. KTM 390adv/BMWGS - Sell the Electra and stretch your budget

Considering the pandemic and you being a father, I also feel you should spice up your Electra a bit and enjoy for a year or two.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 20:38   #9
BHPian

I had a taste of most of the bikes in your radar, I myself own a Int650. To be frank, nothing comes close to the refinement and the sheer torque this thing has under 3lakh mark, but this too has some negatives. I will pin down some pointers from my point of view.

Dominator - Value for Money package, trust me this will be very cheaper to run in the long run. Great Tourer, comfortable & Nice suspension. But is very big and this becomes a problem when maneuvering in traffic and tight spots. Since this is the same engine coming from KTM it isn't made for low-end torque.

KTM - Razor-sharp handling, absolute hooligan and very light. Loads of features and gizmo's. Doesn't have low-end torque. If it was between Dominar & KTM, I would definitely pick KTM as its very light and agile, and the 2020 model comes with so many cool features. Pillion comfort is not so great. Engine heat.

Int650 - Gem of an engine and oodles of torque. Braking is top-notch. This bike is not made for 0-100 but rather how effortlessly continues to cruise at triple-digit speeds. But this is one of the heaviest, 0 pillion comfort as knee positioning is quite odd. Spoked rims if one is looking to take this on off-road trails this is not the bike. And last but not the least this doesn't have any features or gizmo's. I was worried about the engine heat when I bought this bike, but it never had been an issue for me. Check out my ownership review here (Dream of the Silver Surfer - My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650)

Himalayan - Most comfortable for rider and the pillion. Suspension is quite mature. This has the low-end grunt which KTM engines lack. This would have been the perfect bike if the engine would have been much more refined.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 23:48   #10
BHPian

Keeping it short, if budget is strictly in the stated range : Himalayan would be my pick. It is damn comfortable on bad roads, which are in plenty in our country. I can even live with that lack of top end as the bike is decent enough for legal speeds.

If you are ok with extending the budget by say 50-70k and though there are lot of options, ADV 390 is the bike to go for. It is neither too flashy like it's other orange cousins, good highway/ touring capabilities, easy on pocket and loaded with all kinds of tech. You will hardly feel the need to upgrade for a long time.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 02:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
You are young, have become a father recently and this global pandemic is a once in a century event still unfolding in current times. So my advice to you is to just wait for a while - say next 8-12 months.

Then come to the market with an open mind and a higher budget. Open mind I say because I am recommending higher segment bikes and perhaps a used one too. Lets say a less than 2 year old CBR650R. Or any new mid-segment bike at that time as you will have a better budget..
Totally agreed and that is the idea of the thread as well. Like I have mentioned in the start of the thread, the buying would be only after at least 6 months down the line and provided the situations improve like we all have been praying for. I just wanted to start saving up separately on this context. Inspirations have been less to come by these days. So, I thought something like this would excite and also end up in some savings being put aside.

I like the idea of owning a bigger bike but my past experience in owning that lemon of a Karizma normally has kept me back from pre-owned route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Well, looking at your ability to ride/drive for long hours, I don't think FZ25, Gixxer will do justice(unless you intend to use only for short weekend breakfast rides).
I have never been a short breakfast ride guy. Hated riding for 50 odd kms just to have a breakfast. It always feels like the ride ended before I just started having fun. But, I do go to some weekend/breakfast trips just to steal some like minded folks to travel with as i enjoy long trips solo or with a small group of 4-5 like minded folks.

Quote:
Just curious, you intent to ride solo or with your pillion ? and what is your riding style (since you mentioned FZ25, Himalayan etc which are best suited for relaxed riding only)
Solo. Pretty sure my wife is never gonna even sit on the bike for even an errand within 20-30km range. The Duster has totally spoilt her.
Our new family member is not gonna help that cause in anyways as well.

Riding style : Would love to cruise in between 100-120 with occasional bursts to keep myself engaged. I do not intend to drive at the higher rpms the whole day. Certainly not my thing.

Quote:
Personally, i think below will meet your touring needs
1. RE Interceptor 650 - Can ride all day long(with better seats) and a right upgrade for a RE owner, Not suitable for pillion though
2. RE Himalayan - Best choice for relaxed riding.
3. Dominar - Built for touring, however doesn't look like a keeper beyond 3-4 years.
4. KTM 390adv/BMWGS - Sell the Electra and stretch your budget
1. Would be for solo rides. So shouldnt be any issue. If there is a pillion, the Duster would be the pick not by choice but by demand.
2. Agreed. But, not sold on that engine.
3. Totally inline with my views. Somehow I have that feeling of Deja vu with Bajaj and long term ownership
4. To be frank, I have ridden neither. Would do that once this whole thing clears as I have got more than half a year to decide on this.

Quote:
Considering the pandemic and you being a father, I also feel you should spice up your Electra a bit and enjoy for a year or two.
A very good suggestion and also inline with my views. Depending on the situation, this saving might help out in some other way if not for the actual purchase. As the actual buying would be 6 months down the line on a best case scenario, I have nothing to loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Keeping it short, if budget is strictly in the stated range : Himalayan would be my pick. It is damn comfortable on bad roads, which are in plenty in our country. I can even live with that lack of top end as the bike is decent enough for legal speeds.

If you are ok with extending the budget by say 50-70k and though there are lot of options, ADV 390 is the bike to go for. It is neither too flashy like it's other orange cousins, good highway/ touring capabilities, easy on pocket and loaded with all kinds of tech. You will hardly feel the need to upgrade for a long time.
Yeah. I think i really need to take a test drive of both these Adventure bikes.

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 22nd April 2020 at 02:47.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Re: Ramblings of a bored mind! Do I need to get a new touring bike?

Quote:
Dominor somehow does not give me that aspirational quotient. I know thats not a fair comment but thats just my opinion. I would rather get a KTM which is a more aspirational brand atleast to me.
Probably I should get it on a long drive which might change my mind about it. How does the Dominor fair in the long run btw ? Has it been niggle free?
And in case I would be getting a KTM or a Dominor, the Electra stays . So that is a win- win I guess
Well, i don't own a Dominor yet, but i may end up with one after the Covid situation relaxes. My friend has bought the face lifted version in KA, and i have ridden it over 50kms. I was impressed by it, especially the touring capability. The green color looks good and my friend has replaced the spark plugs with Iridium IX and fully synthetic oil after the initial 1K kms. There are some good after market touring add on's, like the big wind screen and saddle bags. Keep in mind the cost, to buy, insure and maintain, you will see the bigger picture.
Old 22nd April 2020, 19:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
You are young, have become a father recently and this global pandemic is a once in a century event still unfolding in current times. So my advice to you is to just wait for a while - say next 8-12 months. Save up some money until then, see your daughter grow up - trust me this will take a lot of your time for at-least until she is 3 years old.

Then come to the market with an open mind and a higher budget. Open mind I say because I am recommending higher segment bikes and perhaps a used one too. Lets say a less than 2 year old CBR650R. Or any new mid-segment bike at that time as you will have a better budget.

The primary motivation to recommend this is because you want to keep the bike for a long time. So having something from a higher segment from what you have listed here will help there. You won't get bored easily and hence that itch to upgrade will not come so fast.
Quote:
Totally agreed and that is the idea of the thread as well. Like I have mentioned in the start of the thread, the buying would be only after at least 6 months down the line and provided the situations improve like we all have been praying for. I just wanted to start saving up separately on this context. Inspirations have been less to come by these days. So, I thought something like this would excite and also end up in some savings being put aside.

I like the idea of owning a bigger bike but my past experience in owning that lemon of a Karizma normally has kept me back from pre-owned route.

I have never been a short breakfast ride guy. Hated riding for 50 odd kms just to have a breakfast. It always feels like the ride ended before I just started having fun. But, I do go to some weekend/breakfast trips just to steal some like minded folks to travel with as i enjoy long trips solo or with a small group of 4-5 like minded folks.

Riding style : Would love to cruise in between 100-120 with occasional bursts to keep myself engaged. I do not intend to drive at the higher rpms the whole day. Certainly not my thing.
---snip---
A very good suggestion and also inline with my views. Depending on the situation, this saving might help out in some other way if not for the actual purchase. As the actual buying would be 6 months down the line on a best case scenario, I have nothing to loose.
---snip---
Considering that your budget is in the vicinity of Rs 3 lacs, and you already own an Electra 350, most of the motorcycles being suggested here may not seem like an upgrade to you and within a few years you would be itching to make an upgrade.
And now with this coronavirus thing having presented itself, a carefree jaunt / breakfast ride / multiple day tour at the drop of a hat maybe a thing of the past. One does not know until when these conditions will last, hence saving up for a (big) bike may be in order. If you increase the upper limit of the budget and wait for a couple of years very soon you will have decent examples of Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT or Kawasaki Versys 650 available in the used market. Both are competent bikes and and your desire for an upgrade will be easily satiated owning either one of them. Though the Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT has a slight edge over the Kawasaki Versys I feel. BHPian rb2399 has raked up some serious miles traversing the length and breadth of the country on his V-Strom 650 XT so he would be the one person best placed to answer of you have any queries. There are plenty of Versys 650 owners on the forum too and their inputs would be invaluable. In the end both are reliable, powerful and capable bikes that will take you the distance, and then some.

So for now, maybe it would be prudent to hold your horses, shower some TLC on the Electra, save up and bide your time until a well cared for example of V-Strom or Versys shows up.

Happy Riding.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 10:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:

FZ25 : Looks to be the most value for money. Also seems to have potential for being a tourer with its low end torque.
Hi Vamsi,

I have been riding the FZ25 for the last three years and have munched a significant number of KMs on highways. Since you are considering the vehicle, I can give you some important insights about it. Here it goes,

1. Highway cruising can be happily done at around 90-95 kmph, but for anything past the 100kmph mark, it feels as if the vehicle is making an extra effort.

2. Cruising means you will need a comfortable seat. I don't know if it's with me only or everybody else who's using the FZ, but seat is a bit on harder side and you might want to use some aftermarket air seats to make your highway journey comfortable.

3. Touring surely needs a good headlight set-up. Owners have constantly complained about the poor headlight on FZ-25. But thanks to aftermarket accessories, this can be taken care of.

4. Service and other spares of the FZ won't bother you much, as they are pretty much in the range. Also the highway FE would be around 32-40 kmpl depending upon your riding style.

5. Commuting on FZ-25 is a breeze. Period.

These were my pointers, if you need any other information regarding the vehicle, let me know.

BTW, Why not consider a used Ninja 300/400, FZ-25, R3, relatively new yet low cost ! Perhaps, best bang for the buck!

Happy hunting,

Gaurav.
Old 25th April 2020, 11:54   #15
BHPian

Hello.
Looking at your requirements I would definitely suggest you the Interceptor, has good torque and will comfortably cruise at 100 to 120.
Why don't you look at a pre loved bike like the Ninja 650 which has bullet proof reliability and build quality? You get quite a few examples around your budget. Plus you can keep her for however many years without worry of depreciation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks