Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 20:37   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs

Beautiful motorcycle in black IMHO -

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-girishshet2014post2020_11_06_18_56.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-girishshet2014post2020_11_06_18_565.jpg
Source

Also realized from the Evo India review that the biggest visual improvement is that all the large gaps around the engine, wheel wells etc have been eliminated in the new design, making it look a lot beefier than the Thunderbird 350.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-screenshot_20201106203437_youtube.jpg
(Source - Evo India on Youtube)

I'm really excited about the upcoming 650cc cruiser now. Hope that also comes soon.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th November 2020 at 20:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 02:40   #167
Senior - BHPian

Considering how the 500 was the single of choice in export markets, a 30ps, 500cc - 6 speed beckons. A perfect stepping stone to the 650s, or a more powerful variant for those who want to stick to the traditional singles and its thump (post aftermarket!).

Plus the Himalyan has a growing fan base especially abroad, who are crying for more oomph especially on open tarmac. More so in the heftier BS6 avtaar. The extra 5-6 horses from the new 500 plus an extra cog on the gearbox would be the perfect solution.
Old 7th November 2020, 09:14   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Considering how the 500 was the single of choice in export markets, a 30ps, 500cc - 6 speed beckons. A perfect stepping stone to the 650s, or a more powerful variant for those who want to stick to the traditional singles and its thump (post aftermarket!).

Plus the Himalyan has a growing fan base especially abroad, who are crying for more oomph especially on open tarmac. More so in the heftier BS6 avtaar. The extra 5-6 horses from the new 500 plus an extra cog on the gearbox would be the perfect solution.

My guess is that the 650cc cruiser that was spied recently will take place of the 500 singles. I'll be surprised if RE goes for a 500 on this engine platform for the Meteor although it is just a matter of making a bigger cylinder just like their previous engines.
Agreed that for the export markets, this engine is underpowered especially when RE has been exporting mainly 500's from the days of Cast Iron.

What I don't understand is why two different engine types for the Meteor and Himalayan. The 410cc engine on the Himalayan anyway doesn't have push rods and was step forward when it was introduced and RE could have downsized the engine for the Meteor.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 09:28   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

What I don't understand is why two different engine types for the Meteor and Himalayan. The 410cc engine on the Himalayan anyway doesn't have push rods and was step forward when it was introduced and RE could have downsized the engine for the Meteor.
Look carefully. The meteor engine is a smaller displacement version of the Himalayan 410 cc engine. The side covers have been changed to suit the look of the meteor.
Motard_Blr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 12:34   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Look carefully. The meteor engine is a smaller displacement version of the Himalayan 410 cc engine. The side covers have been changed to suit the look of the meteor.
Are you sure it's not a completely different engine?

Every article I've read on the Meteor says its a brand new engine platform.

J1D I think it's nomenclature is.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 14:21   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmonster View Post
What's the weight of Meteor? Even the specifications pdf doesn't mention it!
I think it's 194kgs. Almost similar to thunderbird.
delix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 18:59   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Beautiful motorcycle in black IMHO -

Attachment 2077148

Attachment 2077149
Source
I maybe the only one to say so, but looking from the side, it looks the cluster was inspired from the Ducati Scrambler with the round light and the off-set speedometer with the only difference of placing the speedo on the left.

And personally, I feel the Meteor is an overall great bike in terms of engine and quality but I somehow like the Thunderbird 350x more than the Meteor solely in terms of looks.
Old 7th November 2020, 21:04   #173
BHPian

Hi all,
Request you all to try out the Royal Enfield customisation website.
Only time will tell how the actual customized products turn out. But honestly I am bowled over by the amount of uniqueness we can bring over to our Enfields.
It's a big big step forward in the right direction towards digitalization and individualization
Also it gives an estimate of amount spent etc and we can see how the final product looks. I am looking forward to get one customized product after a few years
Kudos to the team for the brilliant effort
PioneerNB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 22:48   #174
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Test rode the Honda CB 350 and RE Meteor 350 this evening. No intention at all of buying any of them, just wanted to have a look.
Both the bikes have their positives and negatives, but as an overall package, i feel CB350 has a slight edge.
CB 350 is more refined of the two, has a better low end grunt, and sounds better (by a slight margin). Looks slightly small in comparison and a wee-bit commuter-ish, if i may take a bit of liberty. Fit and finish is ok, could be better. The glossy black switch and engine covers could have been avoided. And interchanging the horn and indicator position is so damn confusing. Wonder the logic behind that? Is that a standard in any country? Riding geometry is good, comfortable and upright. The seat felt good and wide. The suspension felt good as test ride was all on good roads.
Meteor 350 has better presence. It looks bigger, better (aesthetics) and even a bit higher on fit and finish. RE is done great work in cleaning around the engine. The engine is refined enough with very slight vibes felt at the handle. The riding geometry is cruiser type with footrest placed forward. Handlebar position is perfect and seat feels very nice and comfy.

We got two great bikes in these. and there is not really a great difference between the two (except the forward placed pegs on meteor). One cant really go wrong with either of them, but if i was to choose one between these two basis todays short test rides, i would go with the CB 350, as i felt its a more complete package with neutral upright riding position, slightly peppier engine, sleek gear box, super light clutch, and the attached Honda reliability.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_20201107_180937.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 00:39   #175
BHPian

Meteor Quick Review:
Disclaimer- Most comparisons are with my AVL Thunderbird and the UCE REs. My photo on the bike without helmet/mask is for the photo.

Appearance wise very similar to the Thunderbird X. Smaller 15ltr tank compared to the 20ltr unit(Mine is ~14). Alloy design and rear section are tastefully done. For a change attention to details are nice. Headlight LED ring matches the Tail light LED ring design. Front disc oil can design is unique. Switch gear is nice to use. Console lacks some key info needed for this day and age but definitely much better than previous one. Gets a Gear position indicator finally. Rider seat is probably best in segment. Super comfortable. Turning radius is super small and making U turns are so easy compared to my Gixxer 155. Still my old Thunderbird has a smaller radius due to higher set handles.
Doesn't feel lighter or heavier than Thunderbird X though. My Thunderbird feels much lighter to maneuver. Suspension feels the same like before.
Heart of the matter is super refined. Feels from a different universe compared to my AVL or the UCEs. Superb refinement. Close to zero vibes till we start revving above its usual revv range. A slight tickle when started and the bike settles into a smooth idle. Surprisingly slick gear box and the gears slot in reassuringly without much drama like before. Did not have any false neutrals in full traffic. Heel and toe shifter is a boon. The initial surge is substantial and the throttle response is crisp. Speed builds up rapidly albeit in a linear way. Definitely a marked difference over older REs in terms of acceleration. Braking is superior to older REs and the rear disc is sharper. Compared to the Gixxer, front lacks a little bite. Couldn't do speeds over 60 today due to traffic, so cant comment on braking from speeds or high speed handling. But should be predictable and much better than before due to less vibes.
The projectors on prev TB were superior to this halogen unit. Both in terms of looks and the throw. But this is at par with the 650s and Himalayan.

Overall a fantastic successor to the Thunderbird and has solved every problem of previous REs. It is everything owners like me wanted a Thunderbird to be.

Let's see how it compares with the CB350 when I TD it.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-1604776091563.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-1604776115846.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-1604776129830.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-1604776151915.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-1604776166892.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-1604776178533.jpg  

Last edited by swami.n : 8th November 2020 at 00:41.
swami.n is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 10:50   #176
BHPian

All new Royal Enfield Meteor 350 available in 7 different shades and all look vibrant and cool.

Launch time video released by RE.

Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_8696.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_8697.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_8698.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_8699.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_8700.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_8701.jpg  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img_8702.jpg  

ManneAtWheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 12:40   #177
BHPian

A quick comparo with the CB350. I would go with CB as the first choice, for Meteor I will give a time of 6-10 months since it's a RE.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-cb.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:16   #178
BHPian

Just did a brief TD of the new Meteor 350.

First impressions: (as compared to DS500, my current ride)

The ride is plush and the seating posture very relaxed. The handle bar is wide, like really wide, but is rightly proportioned with the massive 15L tank below it. On a straight line the bike feels planted and instills confidence in the rider to gobble up those miles, like a true cruiser. Turning is very easy as the weight remains centered even during a sharp u-turn. Over potholes, the suspension feels stiff but only slightly.

The engine, though 350cc, has a better punch to it than the previous ones. The refinement levels are a massive improvement but still it cannot be called a butter smooth engine. The noise and vibrations have gone down quite a bit, down till the levels of the early Pulsar so to say. However, the new engine hasn't lost it's long-stroke essence- it runs easy and the exahust produces a good thump. Low speeds on high gears isn't a problem at all, which is good news for the old school lazy bums like myself.

Looks wise, in my personal opinion, this the most beautiful bike that RE has produced. I'll confess that I'd been crushing over it since the day it was launched,(the chocolate brown color to be precise) and lo behold that's exactly what I given to TD. The fit and finish of all the joints, electronics, lights, welding and joints is top notch. There are no loose hanging wires, exposed bolts or cheap plastics anywhere on the bike. The paint job feels premium, both on the tank and the chassis.

Overall, to put things into perspective, riding the Meteor 350 after DS500 felt like sitting an Innova after being in a Mahindra Thar (the old one) and i am not exaggerating.

My only concern is how this new engine would turn out be as it ages. Hopefully, RE have utilized their funds well and tested it thoroughly.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-20201109_131512.jpg  

Malhi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:20   #179
BHPian

While I have not test ridden the Meteor, but on paper it was a disappointment for me. REs really need to shed some weight, and was expecting that to happen with this launch, but its only 6kgs lesser than the outgoing thunderbird.
I guess that's just from the smaller fuel tank and the plastic side panels and mud guards. While this is a all new engine which is vibe free and refined as per all the reviews, but a 2 valve head even in 2020 for a newly designed engine is a big big disappointment.
Another disappointment was the power output, I wish they went with a 4 valve head which would have resulted in some bump in power.
Top speed of 120 was another disappointment, in this day and age you would typically expect a comfortable cruising speed of at least 100-110 from a 350cc engine.
RE with Meteor has moved ahead in all aspects compared its predecessor and has drastic improvements, but all of that is by reference to "RE standards".
It is still not up there to be a global product which RE aspires their products to be. Guess they will learn their lessons only after losing some of their market share to the Japanese.

Last edited by ishan12 : 9th November 2020 at 15:25.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 15:28   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
There are no loose hanging wires, exposed bolts or cheap plastics anywhere on the bike. The paint job feels premium, both on the tank and the chassis.

Overall, to put things into perspective, riding the Meteor 350 after DS500 felt like sitting an Innova after being in a Mahindra Thar (the old one) and i am not exaggerating.

My only concern is how this new engine would turn out be as it ages. Hopefully, RE have utilized their funds well and tested it thoroughly.
Wow! I too have the DS500, the Old Thar as you put it, old Thar 'DI' with leaf springs all around, I would add!
Talking of plastics, maybe the plastic fuel filler lid has escaped your attention, or the plastic front and rear fenders...and those plastic rotary knobs look absolutely hideous, like they won't last beyond the next fiscal! I was in the market for INT650/GT, but seeing the top notch quality of CB350, I think I'll wait for the CB500, which they say, is in the works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks