Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 17:08   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
I successfully took the delivery of my Stellar Blue Meteor yesterday.
Congratulations Gandalf. She looks pretty! Use her well.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 19:25   #257
BHPian

Quote:
I successfully took the delivery of my Stellar Blue Meteor yesterday.
Congrats friend !!

What is the cost of helmet ? Is it ECE approved ?

I am in search of a good helmet which is snell and or ece approved. Planning to have it along with my meteor 350 once delivered in feb’21 ( sorry if this is off topic )
Old 6th December 2020, 00:42   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congratulations Gandalf. She looks pretty! Use her well.
Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc, will take the liberty to nag you and veterans, if I need your inputs in during my ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Congrats friend !!

What is the cost of helmet ? Is it ECE approved ?

I am in search of a good helmet which is snell and or ece approved. Planning to have it along with my meteor 350 once delivered in feb’21 ( sorry if this is off topic )
Thank you, thunder. Congratulations on your booking!
RE gives a free helmet with each new bike. The one RE gives is too bland, so I swapped it with the MLG one.The cost of MLG one as per official RE site is Rs 1850. I think it's neither Snell nor ECE approved, and just ISI approved, as I find only ISI sticker on the helmet. Below is the exact model I got.

https://store.royalenfield.com/mlg-l...or-matt-maroon

MLG is not a full face helmet, and I think only full face helmets tend to pass Snell or ECE certifications, I may be wrong here. RE also has ECE certified helmets, I think price starts from 3.5K. So just try asking RE whether you can upgrade to an ECE model by paying just part of the amount.

Cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2020 at 02:18. Reason: Spacing.
Old 7th December 2020, 07:42   #259
BHPian

I wanted a bike that well suits my needs as of now for my daily usage, 50% in city and 50% on highways, some blend of different roads or no-roads and can satisfy me with a smile considering the existing factors that I have.

I had a chance to test drive a Royal Enfield Meteor at Teknik Motorcycles, Iblur, Bengaluru. Here are the specific key points that I would like to concentrate and narrate them in a simple way. I would prefer to use layman’s terms rather than using much of the technical specification metrics in the blog as the later are already published in the bike specifications by Royal Enfield.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img9379.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img9380.jpg

Looks:
Awesome and proportionate. From front, rear, side view and at angles I found the bike looks well balanced and I was tempted to image it in all directions. Hence, I have pasted a video link with majorly exhaust note and a quick review at the bottom of the thread. The bike looks good in real and in the picture frame as well. When you sit on it, you are welcomed by a muscular tank and an asymmetrical digital-analogue instrument cluster, speedometer has kmph as well as mph, The center part has LCD display has odometer, trip meter, service reminder, fuel gauge, a clock, gear indicator, neutral, ECO etc. The clock is also displayed on the right-hand side Navigation pod having a colour screen when there is no navigation through paired phone via Bluetooth.

Meteors in line ready for delivery:

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img9382.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-blue_colour.jpg

Power & Torque:
Magnificent , far better than my older bullets, technically a high improvement. It has a good initial pickup. Power is seen with good bandwidth range of RPMs. Great pull in layman’s language.

Exhaust Note:
Throaty, feels a punch and not hollow like my Bullet Electra UCE. You have legal options too for many OEM slip-ons. Please view the video where I have recorded the exhaust note with special microphone, preferably it is recommended to use a set of headphones to have a precise feel of the exhaust notes.

Seat:
I am horizontally tall as well, no issues in long drives. Upright position is great and your feet rest in a relaxed forward way as it is a cruiser oriented. The riding triangle is well designed too. I did not experience any tail bone pain or any kind of inconvenience in my long test drive. Seats are exceptionally better than that of outgoing Royal Enfield Thunderbird.

Clutch:
Meteor has a right spot-on clutch. I did engine braking and it turned out to be very responsive in feedback and I could control the bike using gear and clutch itself (I am an old style rider). There was a debate in the biking community that why no slipper clutch. Technically speaking, we don’t need a “Slipper Clutch“. A slipper clutch is of no use for low RPM cruisers. Discussed this topic with my cousin who is a Mechanical Engineer, a core biker and called as Pune Wanderer, we concluded that the slipper clutch is most useful in sports bikes for rapid downshifts, hence it excels at a great extent for 650 twins.

Brakes:
The brakes are having larger disks and the bite is strong, you can heavily decelerate the bike during panic braking. A great improvement in the braking system with dual-channel ABS.

Engine:
Looks like designed by God, after eating a piece of Butter cake. I did not hear any unwanted noises (like tik-tik OR khich khich) from the engine. Vibrations are almost nil though due to overhead cams with counterbalance.

Technology and features:
USB Type A, Navigation Pod developed in conjunction with Google.

NVH (RE authentic vibration test included):
In NVH, our authentic vibration test was also done by me with a paper cup of coconut water on the fuel tank and it passed. Although, I never mind vibrations in RE, it is one of the smoothest 350cc RE has ever made in the history. It will make a history.

And finally, ASS (After Sales Service):
A wide range of service network in India. Wherever you drive, you have service centers in India and is growing. This is one of the important factors that is influencing me to select Royal Enfield Meteor as of today in 350cc segment.

Observations on improvements and scalability needed:
1. Expected that a Meteor would have a future ready headlights. Headlight should have been a LED over a Halogen bulb in the segment competition. Now a days, we do not have a luxury of changing it to LED headlamps as they are not street legal. On my Interceptor 650 twin, the halogen bulb is of higher power, 55/60W H4, I still feel that I need little more illumination over black tarmac highways and also blinding due to incoming trucks.

2. In electricals, the switch reachability from the handle-grips could have been better.

3. Most of the times on highways and on some unknown bends of roads, I use horn and pass switch simultaneously as on my other bikes the horn can be operated by a thumb and pass light using a forefinger, here the pass switch is on the retro-rotary dial switch, the same thumb has to travel for horn and pass switch, so operating them is mutually exclusive. It gives a retro feeling but my one need is not met. Probably need to get used to it.

4. For future market readiness as the engine is newly designed, a room for scaling into a slipper clutch should have been a future ready for the current and incoming competition. This is not a de-merit technically, a slipper-clutch is not needed for low RPM cruisers.

5. Some under-seat space would have been preferable.

Would I buy a Honda CB350 / Royal Enfield Meteor?
I love both the bikes, but if I had to strictly consider only one bike, that will be a Royal Enfield Meteor only because of my below needs and the current existing factors.

With respect to me and my usage, Royal Enfield Meteor fits well at this moment. First thing is, I already own a Roadster which is an Interceptor 650 twin that has an aggressive riding position, fast and punchy, hence I will consider a well relaxed bike for 50-50 usage namely for city and as well as on highways, considering some bad roads as well. Although I owned 2 Royal Enfield bikes consecutively since 2012, my review is still unbiased, I had to do this because Late Shree Dilip Bam Sir, my Guru always used to mention me to make a right justice in bike decisions. If it was only city and smooth roads, I would have straight away booked a Honda CB350.

Here people compare Honda CB350 with Meteor which is unfair because they are from totally different categories. The comparison goes on thump, 350 cc, reliability, parts availability, slipper clutch, after sales service etc. Honda H’ness CB350 is a very good bike, I am considering it as well and I would love to own it in future because of its agile handling in city, low turning radius, excellent for maneuvering through narrow roads and it is a Honda.

Important note on decision making:
Please note that the final decision depends on your needs and factors that influence you and should not be based on any reviews. Reviews are only personal opinions what a reviewer or an individual feels. I suggest to take a proper test drive before you finally go for any bike.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-img9381.jpg

Why I preferred a Meteor over CB350:

Reasons:
1. Royal Enfield's After Sales Service network is great. Service, availability of parts and logistics are at ease.
2. Rear view mirrors on Meteor have better visibility because the stalk is longer.
3. Meteor suspensions are better for our roads because it is thoroughly tested and fine-tuned in India, whereas the CB350 is tested mostly in Japan.
4. Ground clearance of Meteor is 170mm whereas for CB350, it is 166mm.
5. Seats are better in Meteor, very comfortable on our highways. To re-mention again, I did not feel any issue of tail bone pain on Meteor seat.
6. Slipper clutch is not needed on Meteor, the reason I have mentioned in my upper section of this blog. The cost of the Meteor clutch is less as compared to the slipper clutch of Honda CB350.
7. The Navigation pod on Meteor is best, it has a colour screen too.
8. I can add an extra RPM meter, oil temperature console on Meteor of my own choice and that I feel will look sportier.
9. Although they both have tubeless tyres, the side look of the Meteor is well proportionate.
10. The colours offered by Royal Enfield on Meteor are well matched to the design of the bike. My favourite is Supernova Brown.
11. The comfort level provided by Meteor in a long-distance travel and on patchy roads is phenomenal.
12. USB Type-A charging port is very useful to change phones, action camera etc.
13. Handlebar positioning is fatigue free, no pain in shoulders, palms and at carpals.

Video link:

Royal Enfield Meteor - Took a Test Drive by me and my friend, focus on key points
yogeshnaik is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 13:01   #260
BHPian

I am considering replacing my KTM 390 Adventure with a Meteor 350.
My purpose for a bike is to use it for 80% commuting, and 20% touring. While the KTM 390 is a great bike, it is not really smooth in B2B traffic. It is very jerky in the low rpm band. Although I just love the way it handles and corners. It is really agile and you can really spread your wings with it.

Yesterday, I test drove the Meteor 350, the Continental 650 and Interceptor 650. I absolutely loved the 650s! The engine is so smooth and so punchy.

The KTM 390 Adventure is my first bike so my only reference point. I felt that the 650s didn't handle that good, and bad roads make the bikes lose stability.

Riding the Meteor 350, I couldnt help but notice how light it was! Around 10 years back, I rented a Classic 350 in Manali to ride to Rohtang pass (my first ever bike ride, was being trained by a friend) and the weight of the bike was overwhelming. We eventually turned back and replaced it with a Pulsar, which was an absolute delight to ride. RE has come a long way because the Meteor 350 feels super light.

My heart says buy the Continental 650. I just love it. I love the stance, the pickup is sheer joy, and the looks are timeless. It is not a practical option for commute though. It has a small fuel tank and low fuel economy. In the long run, versus a Meteor 350, I would be spending a lot more money with the 650 twins. And I still feel the 650s need some more refinement in the ergonomics and features department. Maybe I'll buy a 650 twin when RE releases a refresh model, which I hope is coming soon.

The Meteor 350 was good, but not perfect. Maybe because I'm used to the KTM 390 Adventure, on which I've ridden 4000 kilometers now. I didn't like the ergonomics on the Meteor much, especially the position of the left foot pegs and the gear lever. The 650s were worse in this department. I was wearing riding boots and I had to extend my foot all the way down awkwardly to shift a gear. Again, maybe its just a matter of time before I get used to it.

I'm kind of losing my mind in whether to replace the KTM or not. Here are some points. I'm hoping the community can guide me in making a decision:

1. I want a bike that I can keep long term i.e. around 10 years. This bike is going to be a multipurpose do-it-all bike. It should be abuse friendly, easily repairable, modular and easy on the pocket. That is why I prefer metal parts over plastic parts, thus RE > KTM. The KTM is a great bike but I dont think it is a bike I can fit in the do-it-all category (or can it?).

2. I intend to own 2 bikes, one will be a do-it-all, and the other will be a parallel twin. Can't fit the 390 Adv in either category (or can I fit it in the first category?). I'll probably get a parallel twin when RE releases a refresh, or the 2021 Ninja 300/400/Yamaha R3.

3. I'm resting my hand on a heavy heart in contemplating to sell the KTM 390 Adventure. It is VERY flickable, the RE comes nowhere close to its performance in corners. Also, the KTM smokes the RE in terms of acceleration, but real world city conditions make the KTM's acceleration redundant.

4. The price I'm getting for the KTM (around 3 lakhs), I can sell it, buy the top model of the Meteor, and still end up with extra cash around 60-70k.

5. Long term I save more with the RE due to 25% better fuel economy. On the KTM I can 22 - 25kmpl. On an average, everyday I ride a minimum of 50 kms, weekends it might go up to 70-80 kms. So savings over a long period of time will be considerable, enough to fund a portion of my new bike in 2 years time.

6. The KTM has Bluetooth but it is actually pointless. I can only accept and decline calls. The KTM's bluetooth is redundant for my use actually, no point in having it. The RE gets a dedicated navigation system that makes much more sense.

7. Ergonomics: maybe I'm inexperienced with a wide array of bikes, or maybe I'm just used to the KTM, I find the KTM more comfortable, the seating position is versatile. I can bend low and ride straight, I can stand up, the bike can accommodate all. Not sure about the RE in this department. I felt the RE is too busy in foot positions, and my left foot didn't feel as spacious as it does on the KTM. Maybe it is a matter of getting used to.

8. The other important point is: The dealership in Patparganj Delhi says that there is a waiting list of 3 months for the Meteor. That seems like an outrageous claim, can anybody verify this?

Well so here goes. I just can't decide.

Last edited by nutcracker : 7th December 2020 at 13:18.
nutcracker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 16:18   #261
BANNED

Quote:
I thought of applying a PPF film for the tank alone. Is it a good idea? If yes, should I apply it with 3M directly or any other shops recommended in Chennai? I may also need to install a tank cover, as the bike has no place to even keep First aid kit, documents, and cleaning cloth. I had to tightly stuff the bike's papers inside the toolbox compartment.
PPF is recommended and get it done at any reputed detailing stores. Search the T-BHP directory for links to stores who can get that done for you.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 13:44   #262
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My purpose for a bike is to use it for 80% commuting, and 20% touring. While the KTM 390 is a great bike, it is not really smooth in B2B traffic. It is very jerky in the low rpm band. Although I just love the way it handles and corners. It is really agile and you can really spread your wings with it.
Have you considered BMW GS 310? As you have a 390 adv, am sure there would be some reasons to choose that. The 310GS is very comfortable, and handles traffic very well. Its very easy to commute on that bike. You can also use it for touring or some off-road / trails. Its a close to a jack of all bikes. It may not have the pull of 390 adv or interceptor but would be more lively and peppy compared to meteor. Do give it a test ride of not already done and see if it suits your requirement.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:21   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

I dropped by Kaizen Motors, the Royal Enfield dealership at Vytilla, to check out the Meteor 350. My last visit to Kaizen a few years ago wasnt that great, this time though, it was a very pleasant experience. The salesperson Pavin was quite well informed and helpful. The waiting period for the Meteor is quite high now, I think 3 months IIRC. But Im sure that production is down due to it being December and the company doesnt like to load itself with a lot of inventory that is made at the end of the year. I am certain that once production picks up in January that it will be full steam ahead and waiting periods will come down. Currently the showroom has 100+ bookings with the numbers split across all 3 variants.

The sales guy was a lot more chill here as compared to the Big Wing Honda one and gave me a longer test route as well. I love the paint quality on the tank of the SuperNova, the brown colour pops out brilliantly.

As for the riding experience, I think Royal Enfield has absolutely nailed it with the Meteor. I am as impressed with this J series engine, as I am with their twin 650cc engine. There are zero vibes while riding and the engine has sufficient grunt just about everywhere. I am not too much of a cruiser guy but nonetheless, I loved riding the Meteor. Engine for engine, the Royal Enfield 350 has the Honda 350 beat, at least in my books.

As lovely as the Meteor 350 is today, the promise of Royal Enfield's tomorrow is what really excites the motorcyclist in me.
- The Classic and Bullet 350 with the J series engine (from the Meteor) will smash the competition.
- The Meteor platform with the 650 cc twin cylinder engine will be an absolute delight. No more worrying about seating comfort and pillion happiness. .

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-20201209_112104.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-20201209_111651.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-20201209_110518_hdr.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-20201209_105225.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 00:54   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
- The Classic and Bullet 350 with the J series engine (from the Meteor) will smash the competition.
- The Meteor platform with the 650 cc twin cylinder engine will be an absolute delight. No more worrying about seating comfort and pillion happiness. .
Agreed on both counts. I am waiting to see a Bullet on this new platform. Actually scratch that, I am waiting to buy a Bullet on this platform.

On the second point - I think RE missed a huge opportunity with the Int650 here. They had opportunity to make a comfortable enthusiast bike that can work well for the pillion as well as rider, an affordable Bonneville (which is a compliment). But I was disappointed with the pillion ergonomics on it and also the rider posture is not spot-on like it is on the Bullet.

I don't know if I can wait for the new Bullet though. God knows how many years they are going to take to launch it, so I may bite the bullet - pun unintended - and buy the Meteor or Hness before they do. Hness more likely, because it is a different riding posture with the Meteor.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 10th December 2020 at 00:56.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:16   #265
BHPian

Is there any mechanical or electronic difference between the variants other than looks and accessories?
Old 10th December 2020, 14:51   #266
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
Is there any mechanical or electronic difference between the variants other than looks and accessories?
I don't think there is any 'mechanical' difference between the variants other than cosmetic or accessory.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 15:02   #267
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 enters European market.

Quote:
After India, Thailand and America, Royal Enfield has launched its all-new Meteor 350 retro-cruiser motorcycle in the European motorcycle market. The pricing of the bike starts from GBP 3749 (converts to ₹3.69 lakh as per current exchange rates). All the three variants (Fireball, Stellar, and Supernova) have been introduced in Europe.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 16:45   #268
BHPian

After taking the delivery of bike, rains and slush made sure my bike doesn't look new. So too her for a proper foam wash, along with some PPF installation. Some pics for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-tbhp1.png  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-tbhp3.png  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-tbhp5.png  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-tbhp6.png  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-tbhp7.png  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-tbhp8.png  

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Fireball leaked, now launched at 1.75 lakhs-tbhp9.png  

Last edited by GandalfTheGrey : 10th December 2020 at 16:48. Reason: Arranging the photos
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 16:57   #269
BANNED

Quote:
After taking the delivery of bike, rains and slush made sure my bike doesn't look new. So too her for a proper foam wash, along with some PPF installation. Some pics for now.
Picture number 2 makes me think the bike is from Harley Davidson and not from Royal Enfield.

Design and overall execution is great and IMO they have a winner provided there are no serious niggles (like Himalayan) and reduce waiting periods so the customers who have booked in advance convert into genuine sale.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2020 at 19:46. Reason: Typo
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 18:56   #270
BHPian

I'm planning to remove RE logo as soon as I get my Customised Meteor Stellar Blue. Compared to that flashy badge, 3D RE name in fireball looks much more classy. I'd either get that or round RE logo from Airborne blue/Stormrider sand range...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks