Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 28th April 2020, 15:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Is this the India-bound Suzuki electric scooter?

A design patent of an electric scooter filed by Suzuki has surfaced online. It is believed to be the company's first battery-powered scooter for the Indian market.

Name:  electric suzuki scooter 1.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  183.8 KB

The patent images reveal the basic mechanical layout of the scooter. It appears to have a frame made of round and square sections. It seems the battery is mounted under the seat. The electric motor is placed just under the battery. The detailed specifications of this motor are not known at this point of time.

Name:  electric suzuki scooter 2.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  155.9 KB

The patent images suggest that the e-scooter could get telescopic fork suspension at the front and a single shock absorber at the rear. The scooter also appears to have a box section swingarm at the rear.

In November 2019, Suzuki had announced that the company would start testing its electric scooter in India as early as 2020. Rumours suggest that the company might launch its first electric scooter in 2021.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 15:26   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Is this the India-bound Suzuki electric scooter?

Good thing that they are going the BLDC - wheel sprocket route and not the hub wheel motor like some chinese designs which are brand labeled by some leading indian companies. Styling is everything in this segment. We would have to wait till reveal for details like Kms per charge, battery capacity and warranty details.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 00:34   #3
BHPian

1. Is it due to perspective or there actually is a significant difference in Tyre/Wheel size between front and rear.
2. Suzuki can also experiment with a rear mono-shock suspension, I think it will look really cool on this frame.
3. There appears to be a possibility to raise ground clearance in this frame might be something worth considering for Suzuki.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the electric mobility sector got a huge setback with oil prices remaining soft. Tough times ahead. Commenting on the design, this doesn't look attractive from any angle (my view). Looks very utilitarian
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 09:13   #5
BHPian

Whatever this is, not a very inspired design. We already have scooters on the market which have the correct design with battery under the floor board. Its beyond me why anyone will feel the need to patent an inferior design with high COG and not under seat storage. No news.
Old 30th April 2020, 11:01   #6
BHPian

Is it only me who thinks this is going to look like the Bajaj Sunny?
Humor aside, I think an electric scooter must offer decent looks apart from decent rage to be successful.

We have many re-badged Chinese e-bikes on sale, which don't attract any attention.
Old 30th April 2020, 11:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
Whatever this is, not a very inspired design. We already have scooters on the market which have the correct design with battery under the floor board. Its beyond me why anyone will feel the need to patent an inferior design with high COG and not under seat storage. No news.
Could be for a removable battery setup.

But the practicality of lugging around a heavy battery pack is debatable though!
Old 30th April 2020, 12:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

I hope they call it the Suzuki Yukk. Definitely looks the part. What's wrong with these designers lately?
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed