Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 07:55   #1
BANNED

Royal Enfield to introduce Bluetooth, navigation system in upcoming motorcycles

Royal Enfield is planning to get into the world of connected two-wheelers. According to a report, the company is likely to introduce Bluetooth connectivity systems along with a navigation system.

These new connected features are likely to make its way to at least two to three future motorcycles. There are a few motorcycle companies like TVS and Hero MotoCorp that have already made their presence felt in this segment. The Chennai-based company plans to take the smartphone as well as integrated Bluetooth connectivity approach.

For a few motorcycles, the rider will be able to fetch the ride data through the smartphone which can be connected to the instrument cluster. The other bikes, apart from smartphone connectivity, it will also get a LED display that will show turn-by-turn navigation. Royal Enfield decided to offer these features after it received a lot of market feedback. Also, the company believes that it will be able to justify the price increase by including such features.

The upcoming Meteor could get the connected system as it will be one of the first bikes spawning Royal Enfield’s new platform. The launch of this Royal Enfield has been postponed due to the current COVID-19 situation.

Source
wheelguy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 11:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield to introduce Bluetooth, navigation system in upcoming motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
For a few motorcycles, the rider will be able to fetch the ride data through the smartphone which can be connected to the instrument cluster. The other bikes, apart from smartphone connectivity, it will also get a LED display that will show turn-by-turn navigation. Royal Enfield decided to offer these features after it received a lot of market feedback. Also, the company believes that it will be able to justify the price increase by including such features.
Amazing! These features will come handy for a lot of riders whom I personally know. If this allows customization of their existing motorcycles then it will an superb option. (I'm sure people will come up with ideas to get it done)

New engine design, new frame and new technology is making Royal Enfield move in the right direction.

Last edited by paramesh3210 : 7th May 2020 at 11:29.
paramesh3210 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:02   #3
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield to introduce Bluetooth, navigation system in upcoming motorcycles

Royal Enfield

The only manufacturer to not provide a Fuel Gauge in half of their motorcycles, and think about providing bluetooth connectivity in the other half.
turbo is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

I hope they introduce gear Indicators as well. Much needed and present in most performance motorcycles.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I hope they introduce gear Indicators as well. Much needed and present in most performance motorcycles.
I have never understood the need for a gear indicator on a bike. I can always figure out the gear with how the bike is riding (speed + engine note).

In scenarios where gears gets confusing, like moving from a stand-still, the amount of time you will need to look at the speedo and make the correction is much more than the time required for feedback from Accelerator + clutch trial.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 14:34   #6
BHPian

Could this be termed as Hero Xpulse effect ?
Instead of using tech to justify the price hike I believe Royal Enfield should focus more on developing packaged variants like cars.
Example -
Base Himalayan
Himalayan Tour - with top rack saddle bags
Himalayan Grand Tour - Himalayn Tour + Panniers and Top box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I have never understood the need for a gear indicator on a bike. I can always figure out the gear with how the bike is riding (speed + engine note).

In scenarios where gears gets confusing, like moving from a stand-still, the amount of time you will need to look at the speedo and make the correction is much more than the time required for feedback from Accelerator + clutch trial.
I think there is a big market of rented Royal Enfield bikes and when you are renting a bike you don't have the impulsive connect with it so in situations like that Gear indicator can come in handy I believe.
darkLightning is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 14:46   #7
BHPian

For a two wheeler having a cluttered instrument cluster or pseudo dash for navigation or caller id display or leading something to phone all are distractions in my opinion to an already unsafe mechanism of transportation the way our Indian brothers on road use them. In car at least it's a small blink of an eye to left or down which is more in case of 2 wheelers.

I believe augmented reality guided smart helmets should be popularized and companies should invest more on these.

haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 14:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Trust me, for newbies like me it's a huge boon. I love it on my RR 310 and can't think of another bike without it. I use it only when I am doubtful or engage the wrong gear accidentally, but it really is very useful for me.

Also it is one of the reasons why I haven't got the Interceptor 650 yet.
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 09:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Also it is one of the reasons why I haven't got the Interceptor 650 yet.
Trust me friend, if you like how the Interceptor rides, go ahead and get it. Not getting a bike you like for a gear indicator will be like the Dog wagging the Tail.

You will be able to manage without one, trust me.

RR310 is also a great bike though.
Old 8th May 2020, 11:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Royal Enfield

The only manufacturer to not provide a Fuel Gauge in half of their motorcycles, and think about providing bluetooth connectivity in the other half.
And the ones which do have the gauge, it's just wonky and doesn't work properly for most of the time, rendering it useless ! They should just look into improving the existing ones first and then provide the additional features.
Old 8th May 2020, 13:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
the Dog wagging the Tail.
You mean Tail wagging the Dog
aashishnb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 15:14   #12
BHPian

With all its shortcomings, the RE bike still manages to grab attention in this world of modern bikes and superbikes., no matter for the wrong or right reason. I myself own a 2014 RE CL 500 and manage to smile while riding it because it will become antique one day!
Pkumarblore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 15:29   #13
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2020 at 08:52.
SJQIL87 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th May 2020, 16:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

My personal opinion, One more part to crib about for malfunctioning or non functioning.

Honestly, RE is not into electronics. Take any of the electronic parts, be it fuel gauge, speedometer or anything related to electronics, the quality is always questioned by customers.

This being the case, not sure why invest on another electronics part and attempt to spoil the reputation

Or is RE trying to prove to the world that despite all the issues, sales figures are increasing and hence, except the signature sound and the name ROYAL ENFIELD, all other factors are inconsiderate?
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 19:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I find it quite redundant as well. Gear position was always something very intuitive to me in any vehicle I use. I never pay attention to it even if the vehicle has it. Maybe because I learnt riding/driving on vehicles that didn't have them.

I guess there is a demand for gear indicator in the market. Certainly not for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks