Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!

Nice restoration for a DIY. I will suggest getting parts electroplated since that improves the look tremendously.

Here is pic of my RX135 restored back in 2012.
Attached Thumbnails
Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-rx135_rsv.jpg  

mmxylorider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Slightly off topic but not completely. Experts please clear my doubt over the legality of bikes older than 20 years old. I have a pristine early 90s Cherry Red RX 100 back in India. I would love to ride the old girl once I come back. The bike is in Coimbatore with my friend. I wish to transfer the registration to another state upon arrival. Would that be possible? Oh and a wonderful RXG you have Sir! Always had a soft spot for the metallic black colour. She is a stunner. Wish you many happy and safe miles on her.
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
This was rather uneventful.
The notes that I had kept during the dis-assembly proved extremely helpful and I was able to put everything back pretty quickly.
In the end I was left with four washers and it took me a day to figure out that they belong to the rear suspension mounts.
My oh my, your thread has given me the inspiration to start dismantling my rx 100. Thanks.

Quote:
I started taking the bike apart on the 9th of April and finished putting it back together on the 19th of May.
I can imagine the first ride after putting together your bike. Looking forward to the feeling.

Quote:

The following is a list of pending activities:

1. Making the bike road legal - The RC expired in 2011. Approached one agent, he said that it would be too difficult. Need to try with some more people
There are several papers required for the bike to be road legal again

1. Pollution under control - easiest one to procure.
2. Insurance - some websites don't allow vehicles older than 1990 to list for online insurance. Buying insurance would be comparatively easy too.
3. Tax - with the new vaahan site, calculating pending tax is very easy, but be ready to pay fines. 9 years of pending papers would have huge fines.
4. Vehicle fitness /Re Test - this will be the trickiest, but can be achieved. Vehicle has to be seen roadworthy with everything working and no visible rusts.
4. RC validity after retest - complete all the above and this would be achievable. - all the above is needed to even think about getting your RC validated

Hope this helped.
sreeJiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I especially like the fact that you have not been experimentative with parts from other bikes for the headlight or fork or front mudguard etc. and simply reused all the original parts.
Yes, I find the stock look to be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Hats off to you Jomson for your perseverance! I recollect happily discussing with you while the work was happening. One has to appreciate Yamaha for their simplicity of design. I have enjoyed my time with my Yamahas (RX135 5 speed and the RD350) which I had for 12 years.
Wish you many happy years and miles with the bike..
Thanks Sarang, We should have met earlier, would have gotten a chance to ride the RD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Great. Hope this serves you well in the future. With the rising demand for RX series, it would do you well to preserve it. Run it on pre mix only for some 1000kms after re boring. I would not trust the pump much. All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post

But with these experiences I always look out for white smoke when I start the bike and periodically keep checking by looking at the rear view mirror to see if the oil pump is doing its job.

I have ridden my RX for over 1.5 lac kms on the OE pump and still running fine. Also, my RD 200 has its oil pump working as desired.
I can totally relate to this. I too am super skeptical of the oil pump. There is a slight leak in the pump in my case, the bike leaks oil from the pump casing when its left standing - I have a feeling its from the tube that connects to the inlet of the pump.
In any case, when I am going on slightly longer rides, I do mix some oil directly into the petrol tank - this does screw up the pick up a bit but at least its safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBot View Post
@jomson13 Can you tell me what chrome paint were you talking about ?
You will get a can of chrome paint at the local hardware shop. The black paint can was ABRO make and the chrome one was some JJ make. I wouldn't spray paint on the exhaust though - I'm pretty sure that wont hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshshukla92 View Post
What a lovely bike! Having done something similar to my RX135 during the lockdown I know how it feels to fix your own bike, that feeling is priceless and builds a bond between the rider and the bike.
Looking forward to your thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post

Also, a couple of issues with adding oil to the fuel tank directly.

A) Can never get the ratio right as the amount of fuel added is not always the same.
B) The bike tends to run lean and you need to get and upsize on the main jet to avoid the risk of seizing the engine.
C) These bikes today are rarely used on a daily basis and with oil being mixed with fuel and kept for a long period will just deteriorate the oil quality.

Also, I hope you retained your OE block when your mechanic changed it to a used block after the piston was seized. Unless it was running on a 4th oversized piston you could have just rebored it to the next size and used it or otherwise the block can be still used by getting it sleeved and use it with the stock size piston. A new block piston set can cost you anywhere between 15 to 20k if you can find one and these used one are also worth keeping as they can be reused in the future when the need arises.
Completely agree with all the points that you have mentioned about why using the oil pump is better than premix.
I haven't retained the OE block - Now that you mention it, I realize what a blunder that was: Frustrati

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Oh and a wonderful RXG you have Sir! Always had a soft spot for the metallic black colour. She is a stunner. Wish you many happy and safe miles on her.
Thank you sir, the cherry red RX is another one of my favorites - You don't get to see too many of those now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
My oh my, your thread has given me the inspiration to start dismantling my rx 100. Thanks.

There are several papers required for the bike to be road legal again

1. Pollution under control - easiest one to procure.
2. Insurance - some websites don't allow vehicles older than 1990 to list for online insurance. Buying insurance would be comparatively easy too.
3. Tax - with the new vaahan site, calculating pending tax is very easy, but be ready to pay fines. 9 years of pending papers would have huge fines.
4. Vehicle fitness /Re Test - this will be the trickiest, but can be achieved. Vehicle has to be seen roadworthy with everything working and no visible rusts.
4. RC validity after retest - complete all the above and this would be achievable. - all the above is needed to even think about getting your RC validated

Hope this helped.
Start right away - you will learn along the way.
Thanks for the extensive list regarding making the bike road legal again. I will post updates regarding this as I go along.
jomson13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 16:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't retained the OE block - Now that you mention it, I realize what a blunder that was
Not trying to rub salt on your wound, but how sure are you that the mechanic actually fitted a used block and not rebored your OE block and fitted an oversize piston?

Two stroke engine are easier to work on compared to a four stroke and luckily a lot of parts are still available for the RX thanks to the numbers of bike that were sold back then.

Also, on the 2T oil leaking from the pump casing if its a pipe with a crack then its as easy fix but do remember to bleed the pump once you fit a new pipe so that there are no air bubbles.
Old 25th November 2020, 21:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagMan View Post
Rx135 was released in light of stricter emission norms with a catalytic converter and a different Port configuration once again and changes to gearing. It came in 5 speed and later 4 speed variants. People just used parts like cylinders and what not interchangeably though.
Not all RX135 had this, I've RX135 without catalytic converter. It's Feb 1999 model with 4 gears.
Old 25th November 2020, 22:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsays View Post
Not all RX135 had this, I've RX135 without catalytic converter. It's Feb 1999 model with 4 gears.
Was it bought new or used?
Old 25th November 2020, 22:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govardhansupra View Post
What is the difference between and RX100/RX135 and an RXG? I couldn't figure out any difference based on the looks.
Here (Difference between the various Yamaha RX series bikes?) is a thread
More details Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsays View Post
Yes, you are right.
RX135 4 speed was launched with Chrome silencer
5 Speed (around 2000s) came with cat-con silencer
Then the last batch of 4s (from 2002 or 2003) came with cat-con

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
I wish to transfer the registration to another state upon arrival. Would that be possible?
Right now it is possible, except cases like Delhi (I'm not sure if it is extended to any other state / UT).
I hope the documents are live now, if not sort it out and get NOC from current RTO upon your arrival.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 25th November 2020 at 22:51.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 09:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Was it bought new or used?
New, my RX-135 is similar to RXG with some changes in gear ratio and exhaust note is close to RX-100. One of the reasons why RGX failed was people liked exhaust note of RX-100 more than RXG .
Old 26th November 2020, 11:46   #25
BHPian

For some reason I was thinking there wasn't any other pre cat con 135 model other than rxg and rxz. I'd forgotten about the rx135. The confusion for me may have been because we never received any separate rxg or rx135 parts except the emblems. Just one 135 cc block for all 3 bikes. Also same with gearbox parts. We could place orders for different part numbers but except for one part number all others would become back ordered and never Ship.

I ran a retail and whole sale operation for genuine yamaha spares between 2000 and 2004. The 5speeds became 4 speeds either due to quality or sourcing issues with the 5speed gearbox parts. By the end there were very few bikes being made for sale. I got my hands on a 5-speed rxz in 2002 myself.
Old 26th November 2020, 20:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
For some reason I was thinking there wasn't any other pre cat con 135 model other than rxg and rxz.
The best bike in Rx series is 1998-2000 year YEIS RX135. Rx135 tiger was also sold during that time as stripped down version. I used both bikes during my college days. Tiger was more fuel efficient than YEIS.

Many people say that Rx135 5 speed is the best bike. but I think four speed 135 is better as it has more low down power and user friendly in city use. The 4 speed is more efficient too (10 kmpl more).
Vmax1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 22:00   #27
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing restoration on the RX. Love to see such DIY's especially on the dismantling and painting. Do keep us updated on how the paint / chrome holds up.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 00:43   #28
BHPian

Nice restoration, brings back old memories of college days riding on RXG. I still have my RXG, picture attched here, no restoration of any kind. It is still stock condition. What amazes me is quality of chrome, still no chips or rust anywhere even after 23 years where as on activa the chrome started peeling off and rusting after 5 years !
Attached Thumbnails
Partial restoration of my 1996 Yamaha RXG 135 - A lockdown project!-20161022_175627.jpg  

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 27th November 2020 at 00:44.
ScorpWarp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 21:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Nice restoration, brings back old memories of college days riding on RXG. I still have my RXG, picture attched here, no restoration of any kind. It is still stock condition. What amazes me is quality of chrome, still no chips or rust anywhere even after 23 years where as on activa the chrome started peeling off and rusting after 5 years !
Wow, that is one well maintained bike, Kudos to you! Regarding the quality of the chrome - I guess back in the 90's they weren't thinking about cost optimization.
Old 30th December 2020, 11:19   #30

Painting and Chrome for RX100

Hello All,

I have a black RX100 in a decent shape. I would like to know, how much it would cost to get the bike painted ( Black ). Also, how about chroming? I live in Mysore, Karnataka.

Can someone recommend me a good painter for my bike in Mysore?
Can someone recommend me a good Rx100 mechanic in Mysore?

Thank you in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks