Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 15:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Resto-modification of a '96 Bajaj Classic into a Café Racer styled scooter

This is a wonderful restoration job.Even I restored my Chetak a few years back.The better part was that it was returned back by my father’s friend after full seventeen years and that too in a stage that it was more or less in scrap condition.I could not restore it as good as yours.Attaching below the picture of my love.
Attached Thumbnails
Resto-modification of a '96 Bajaj Classic into a Café Racer styled scooter-28c75b33812d4befb2e09ceb6e64e95e.jpeg  

Rustom Mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 17:40   #17
BHPian

Lovely color mate. Which type of painting was it and how much was the cost involved on the painting? The seats are looking good but loved to have a proper old school leather wrapped splits seats.

Last edited by sam_machine : 15th June 2020 at 17:43.
sam_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 19:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Resto-modification of a '96 Bajaj Classic into a Café Racer styled scooter-side3.jpg

This - this is going to make Nivin Pauly call you for one of his next movies!! The red is just awesome!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th June 2020 at 00:07. Reason: Don't suppose Nivin Pauly would appreciate the page breaking image! Uploaded it instead of hotlinking. Thanks!
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 19:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The scoot looks chic, absolutely smashing.

I haven't seen a manufacturer color their scoot so well. Just the visual aura of the scooter is salivating.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th June 2020 at 00:08. Reason: Quoted post edited (image breaking page bounds). Thanks!
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 00:00   #20
BHPian

W.O.W, just wow . Looks fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMohan View Post

PROLOGUE: A Bhpian's Wish

Indeed, your wish did come true, Asish_VK and I've kept my word.
What can I say ? It's an honor to read this man ! That was a surprise. Thank you.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 01:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Love the restoration. CHETAK is pure nostalgia and it kindles that tag line “ Buland Bharat Ki... “. Dare to say that the two Chetak’s restoration met the levels of FIAT’s Amby’s and other classics in this forum.

How’s is your Uncle feeling on getting his ride back in a boyish look. Did you ask him to shed his age and appearance.
Thank you Saisree. Actually my uncle hasn't seen the scooter yet. Planning to surprise him.
And I believe he doesn't have to do anything to match the looks of the scooter, as he's still young in his looks (and at heart too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Brilliant! I'm not sure if I'm a fan of that thin seat - but everything else looks sweet! So, when do you plan to paint this one?

Leaving a link for your beautiful painting of the Chetak for BHPians to get the reference - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-drawings.html (The Artworks thread! Paintings, sketches & drawings)
Thank you. How about painting both the scooters on a single canvas? Will surely do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This is a really beautiful project - well done indeed. I have a question - doesn't the seat feel too hard for lack of cushioning or not that bad in real life?

Reminds me a bit of our good old Bajaj M 80. Someone could do a similar restoration project using an old M 80.
Thank you. The seat isn't too hard or thin actually. Sure, it can't match the comfort of the stock seat. But it's good for short rides.

The M80 idea sounds really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Great effort.
Would love to see the handle bar end lights - in action
You are missing rubber gasket around on side trunk flap
The front number plate patch looks too low. I suppose that it is tape. Make the corners rounded next time to match rounded shape of scooter.
Add a six inch high windshield at front OR full size one.

Regards-Sonu
Sharp eyes Sonu! The registration number is painted on the scooter, as our rules here doesn't allow stickers. Will the windshields match the cafe racer theme? I'll post a video of the turn signals soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Would it be worth spending money on Bodywork repairs and Painting just for the affection with the Scooter ? I am a person of few needs and do not have much outing. And there is no one else who would be using it in future either.
It depends on how much you're in love with it. If the papers are okay, you could just give her some colors. Or you could just turn it into a show piece if the cost involved is too high. Or just gift them to someone, who would cherish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman.aries View Post
Hi, I have 2002 model Chetak with me in Trivandrum which needs a bit of restoration. I was wondering where you obtained the spare parts for your scooter from, assuming that you did the restoration in Kochin. I am finding it difficult to source the rubber and plastic parts as well as the speedometer assembly.

Thanks,
Raman
I'm Posting the spare parts stores for future reference.
  • Jay Auto Parts, Ernakulam.
  • Thittappallil Autoparts, Vaikom, Kottayam.
  • Vintage Spare Parts Online (This has a facebook page).

The contact details can be found on internet. And I'll PM you the current contact numbers of these stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSpeed View Post
Hi Mohan,
This restoration has turned out to be really well. Absolutely loved the color combination and the cafe racer setup. Just one question, incase your uncle decides to go for the longer seat to accommodate 2 riders, is there any scope to do that?
Yes, It's possible and wont take more than 30 minutes. Thank you BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
Assuming you are planning to do more such mods, I suggest you consider converting next version to electric scooter.
Sure. Fantastic idea. I think of this every time, I see the 2 stroke smoke! Will surely consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_machine View Post
Lovely color mate. Which type of painting was it and how much was the cost involved on the painting? The seats are looking good but loved to have a proper old school leather wrapped splits seats.
Thank you. The scooter is painted in Berry red shade. These are normal automotive paints (coats of primer, surfacer, base coat, metallic paint, clear coat) and can cost anywhere between 6k to 10k depending on amount of labour involved and where you're located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
W.O.W, just wow . Looks fabulous!
What can I say ? It's an honor to read this man ! That was a surprise. Thank you.
Thankyou Asish_VK.
Old 16th June 2020, 11:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

I love the Bajaj scooters and have bunch of them. I really loved the end result. It really looks hot. The color, the seat and quality of work, just yummy.

Only thing I felt out of place is the new type meter and that classics cladding around the meter. If you could get rid of it, find an old yenkay meter, refurbish and put it, it may look even great. A
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:23   #23
BHPian

That is such a wonderful restoration project. Congratulations! I really liked the red and black combination. The Cafe Racer Scooter was a real out of the box idea! Really appreciate the efforts gone into this project. Your uncle would be a real happy man.
lifeat100k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 06:25   #24
BHPian

Very well executed. I really liked the seat part.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 21:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I love the Bajaj scooters and have bunch of them. I really loved the end result. It really looks hot. The color, the seat and quality of work, just yummy.

Only thing I felt out of place is the new type meter and that classics cladding around the meter. If you could get rid of it, find an old yenkay meter, refurbish and put it, it may look even great. A
Thanks a million, funkykar.
I'll see if I can source old type meter (have seen meters with white dials on sale but we wanted to stick to the red/black theme). And the cladding can't be removed as it holds the speedometer (bajaj classics came with a different handlebar).
ACMohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:49   #26
BHPian

I'm generally not a fan of scooters but this one is absolutely stunning! Definitely deserves to feature in a movie or a song.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:44   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful...Bajaj Super first and then Bajaj Classic hold a special place for me as they were the ones I grew up with.

I completely agree with funkykar. Apart from the meter console this entire scooter is just gorgeous. From the colour to the seat. And not to forget...amazing photos!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 22:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Wonderful...Bajaj Super first and then Bajaj Classic hold a special place for me as they were the ones I grew up with.

I completely agree with funkykar. Apart from the meter console this entire scooter is just gorgeous. From the colour to the seat. And not to forget...amazing photos!
Thank you hemanth.anand. Will see if anything can be done with the meter console and meter. The meter replacement is a quick job (wont take more than 20 mins). However if the shroud has to be removed, it may need some fabrication as the classic handlebar was different from the older ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks