Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2007, 12:48   #1
BHPian

is pulsar any model any version WORTH BUYING???

I seriously wonder if any model of pulsar be it 150cc v1,2,3 or 180cc v1,2,3 or the newly launched 200,220dts fi, really worth buying?

thats because take any pulsar and its very short lived and
by the time the bike crosses 10000kms mark the gearbox starts showing its true colors.
by the time the bike crosses 40000kms mark the bike's bore is dead i mean atleast most of the bike's bore is dead...

isnt this a bit too annoying compared to h and hh bikes in the market?
i mean scrificing so much for looks and power(that we only cherish once in a while, though some so it everyday...).

say what people because i owned a pulsar 180cc v2red and black) previously and as i mentioned earlier had to sell it off because of its 1.gearbox,
2.rusted silencer(it got all that rusted because it had my vehicle water serviced everyweek and the water clogged,20 to 50mlspottoms just did not dry up leading to rust),
3.i did 25k kms on it and the bike started dying already...

please give out your opinions.......

Last edited by mrstyx : 16th March 2007 at 12:54.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

I guess its more to do with how the bike is maintained.
Quality is definitely not upto the mark as a HH (comparo to my friends CBZ which was in my posession for about a month). Mine is a Pulsar 150 v1 (June 2003).

Difference in my example was that in 3 years plus, my bike has done about 55000 kms, with quite some ripping thrown in, against my friend's CBZ which is still around 25000 kms, and sedate riding.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are you serious man ?? i was seriously thinking of the 180/200. People here are going ga ga over the pulsar. i did not know this side of the story . anyone ??
Old 16th March 2007, 13:03   #4
BHPian

I own a dtsi for almost 3 years now and I have no complains. Saddle should have been bit more comfortable ( long drives ).

Surely it does depends upon how you maintain ..

Last edited by navdeep : 16th March 2007 at 13:04.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Are you serious man ?? i was seriously thinking of the 180/200. People here are going ga ga over the pulsar. i did not know this side of the story . anyone ??
Buddy, dint get whom the question was aimed at.. me ?
Pulsar is great in terms of the goods u get for the money u pay, the looks (although a tad common nowadays), and the rush of adrenaline when ripping it. I am not really saying a No coz i dont own the new breed of Pulsars, which considering how seriously Bajaj takes owner feedback, should be quite refined.

I believe owner with the new stock could pour in their inputs.

P.S. : I still love my Pulsar, and am ready to part ways, despite some niggles here n there. I had my parameters for evaluation set, and its lived upto them.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:16   #6
BANNED

pulsar's engine is short strock high revolving engine with dtsi. It will give happy revolving nature to the bike. But at the same time the wear and tear will be more for pulsar compaired to other long strock engines with single spark inginition(fiero,apache,unicorn etc). So marginally engine life will be less.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:23   #7
JPL
BHPian

Hi,

My Bro has a pulsar 150 DTSI 2003, I have been riding that and also the new ones.

I personally dont like any bikes by bajaj except the Elminator ( not the Avenger.) Now, the bikes have better gearboxes, smoother and power delivery is linear. But still Bajaj bikes are not to my liking.

The boxer that we had owned was a horror story and we sold it in 9 or 10 months.

I would anyday go for a super splendor 125 , a unicorn and of course the Karizmaa then a pulsar 180 or Pulsar 225 dtsfi.

Though Bajaj is credited with the pulsar for maturing the bike market to 150 cc and + also the awesome designing on the new bikes, however I would never prefer a Bajaj never again.

Go for a Karizma anyday, thats a bike. Bajaj bikes are glorified scooters .( personal opinion, please no arguments)
Old 16th March 2007, 13:35   #8
BHPian

I was on pillion of a 10k+ old pulsar yesterday. I feel the vibrations on these bikes are just too much. There are several good aspects to this bike. But i feel if you are looking for refinement, then this is not the bike.

Unicorn, a very bad VFM, is silky smooth and scores pretty high on refinement. I drive a classic fiero for about 5 and half years now.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:48   #9
JPL
BHPian

No beating a classic fiero, one of the best gearboxes with a torquey engine, I love this bike.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I guess its more to do with how the bike is maintained.
Quality is definitely not upto the mark as a HH (comparo to my friends CBZ which was in my posession for about a month). Mine is a Pulsar 150 v1 (June 2003).

Difference in my example was that in 3 years plus, my bike has done about 55000 kms, with quite some ripping thrown in, against my friend's CBZ which is still around 25000 kms, and sedate riding.

dude dont tell me you dint face any problems with the gearbox, although i agree that the pulsar non dtsi version has a longer life span, there is some proplem or the other like the chain loosening out, and such other minor problems that cant be rectified and this bike really needs constant maintainance unlike the h and hh...
Old 16th March 2007, 14:05   #11
BHPian

Review on Bajaj Pulsar 180 by mrstyx - MouthShut.com

check out the review i wrote on mouthshut,

the main problem with the bajaj guys is that they dont have a proper service for the vehicle unlike the other and the quality for the price is not worth AT ALL
Old 16th March 2007, 14:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstyx View Post
I seriously wonder if any model of pulsar be it 150cc v1,2,3 or 180cc v1,2,3 or the newly launched 200,220dts fi, really worth buying?

thats because take any pulsar and its very short lived and
by the time the bike crosses 10000kms mark the gearbox starts showing its true colors.
by the time the bike crosses 40000kms mark the bike's bore is dead i mean atleast most of the bike's bore is dead...

isnt this a bit too annoying compared to h and hh bikes in the market?
i mean scrificing so much for looks and power(that we only cherish once in a while, though some so it everyday...).

say what people because i owned a pulsar 180cc v2red and black) previously and as i mentioned earlier had to sell it off because of its 1.gearbox,
2.rusted silencer(it got all that rusted because it had my vehicle water serviced everyweek and the water clogged,20 to 50mlspottoms just did not dry up leading to rust),
3.i did 25k kms on it and the bike started dying already...

please give out your opinions.......
Dude I know of a guy whose supposedly reliable unicorn gave in after 20000 kms and no it wasnt thrashed! Infact well cared of by the owner.
I also know of a guy who owns a Pulsar 180 classic with over 1.20 lakh kms on it, still running on stock piston and cylinder!
Please dont generalize facts, its not selling for anything, there are good point and some bad points too but then when you look at the overall deal there's nothing to beat it in the market currently.

ZMA agreed is a good bike... that honda low revving smooth honda engine is a delight, but thats about it. The fuel average is poor for the performance i get, spares are horribly expensive, plastic quality is poor and they are prone to braking even when the bike is ridden on bad roads.
Just to give you an example: ZMA sprocket set with chain costs 2600, whereas you get it for 600rs in case of pulsar... and before anyone says quality nah they dont even last longer. Infact my friend's ZMA's sprocket was changed at 13k's while mine is still going string and my bike has done 12k's kms.
There's no perfect bike, you can't accuse bajaj of not providing a bike with the smoothest engine, with the best gearbox and handling for least amount of moolah in the segment, with cheaper spares to boot! You cant get everything... weigh the bike's pro's and con's and take your decision.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:42   #13
BHPian

dude i am not saying that h and hh are the perfect or the BEST bikes, thing of it is most of the pulsars have these problems, check out my review on mouthshut,

the classic pulsars are one of the best ones launched and sold... i totally agree with you on this .

leave karizma out of this i too agree with the spares being horribly expensive but taken 220cc dtsfi its the case is the same in comparison..........

tell me howmany guys who own a pulsar except the classic version would not complain about the false neutrals or the gears getting stuck up in the 1 down and 4up pattern in 180 and 150 new pulsars ? i am sure u will find alot of them agreeing with the problem

and this problem spoils the ripping fun and pulsar's name because of the quality. so far i think bajaj attitude is sell as many bikes and spares as possible and make money and the royalty is already earned because of the bike's ripping attitude ....

this is proved because they give away easy finance schemes where you get the bike for as low as 1000/-rs. and many of the bikes are confisticated as the owner is originally not intersted in keepin it...

well to get the facts right go checkout the 2nd hand two wheeler market in ramkoti in hyderabad(aisa's biggest 2nd hand two wheeler market you will find more pulsars that any other bike of the same category for sale and many of them being confisticated ones....
Old 16th March 2007, 14:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Very well written extreme_torque. A bad piece can come from any maker, its jst that BAL has more of them

all i can say is that I have owned a P180 DTSiV1 for a little over 2years & 29k kms & have ZMA for almost 2 years & 13k kms. I dont think I would go the BAL ways again. Although I must say after riding the P220 my views have changed a bit
Old 16th March 2007, 14:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstyx View Post
dude dont tell me you dint face any problems with the gearbox, although i agree that the pulsar non dtsi version has a longer life span, there is some proplem or the other like the chain loosening out, and such other minor problems that cant be rectified and this bike really needs constant maintainance unlike the h and hh...
Any bike/vehicle/machine needs regular maintenance for it to work at its full potential. Ignore that, and u cant expect it to deliver.

Whatever be the issues with my bike, it has never let me down.
Gearbox is not as smooth as the HHs' but, all the same once you get used to it, not much of a bother. As far as the chain loosening is concerned.. it does happen with my bike.. but i take part of that blame on me, and my riding habits... add to that negligence at times with respect to sticking to maintenance schedules. Learnt it the hard way from a Bajaj service centre in hyd, where they didnt offer proper service.

I have no major grouses with Bajaj, and if the need comes, wouldnt mind another bike from their stable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks